HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Zherdev

Old
02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
Carcillo & Shelley have been getting the minutes instead of Zherdev the past few weeks.

That should tell you something....
I have an honest question: If the Flyers knew Zherdev was a space cadet who, despite that, would probably score 20-25 goals, what were they expecting instead?

Pens-related statement: the guy is unreliable in a lot of areas but like I always say, for some reason goal scoring has become the least important part of a team around here.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Can we add Svatos' name to the title? NHL Network reporting he got waived also, as well as Kotalik on Re-entry waivers. Still don't want any of them but I'm sure people will discuss it so better to have the waiver scrubs and underachievers in one thread.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Eric Lindros

I think it's a smart move for the Penguins to pick him up, as beaten up as they are. The guy isn't a complete package, but he's not awful defensively. He was a plus 7 and had 14 goals in very limited ice time.

Part of me is sorry to see him go, just because I'd like to have a guy with that offensive ability as a backup in case of injuries. Plus the guy is money on breakaways which the Penguins defense has the ability to create.

Eric Lindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I think claiming Marek Svatos would just be inhumane. Imagine him here with his injury problems combined with the Pens' luck this season.

-Svatos steps off the plane
-Gets hit by a bus
-Did I mention the bus was full of bears? They get out and maul him
-A piano falls on him
-The piano is full of bees

Prognosis: day to day with an upper body injury.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I think claiming Marek Svatos would just be inhumane. Imagine him here with his injury problems combined with the Pens' luck this season.

-Svatos steps off the plane
-Gets hit by a bus
-Did I mention the bus was full of bears? They get out and maul him
-A piano falls on him
-The piano is full of bees

Prognosis: day to day with an upper body injury.

The best part is the "day to day"

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:27 PM
metalan2

Need Zherdev

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Shero pulled the trigger on a trade to get Neal, an upgraded Kunitz.

That should tell you the kind of guys he wants to add. Hint: Zherdev, Svatos and Filatov are not going to be Penguins, ever.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:41 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post

That should tell you the kind of guys he wants to add. Hint: Zherdev, Svatos and Filatov are not going to be Penguins, ever.
If the price is right, they might be. He's not going to trade Staal for one of them, but a waiver claim or a fifth round pick? Don't rule that out.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:

Are we talking about the same Neal who a lot of Stars fans were furious with for his inconsistent effort?

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
If the price is right, they might be. He's not going to trade Staal for one of them, but a waiver claim or a fifth round pick? Don't rule that out.
Well, I shouldn't have said never, but I REALLLLLLY don't think Shero or Bylsma would want those guys on this team at all.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:

While I agree to an extent RS gave up an asset to get a guy like Neal. With rentals or guys off of waivers he really isn't giving up anything so he may take more of a gamble on if the player will fit or not. He even said today that the guy we might get will have several flaws in his game.

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Tyler Kennedy was our top offensive threat tonight...let me say that again...TYLER KENNEDY.

Yeah, we all know Zherdev's reputation, but if you don't think this team needs a major shot of offensive skill, you are crazy. Maybe Shero likes a lineup full of grinders to surround our superstars, but those guys aren't here right now...so perhaps a guy with offensive instincts that go beyond " Dump-Chase-Pray to Jesus that I get a lucky rebound" wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
Are we talking about the same Neal who a lot of Stars fans were furious with for his inconsistent effort?
Effort wasn't what I was referring to. It's the style of game Neal plays coupled with the fact that he has a heck of a shot and good skill to boot that made him so appealing to Shero.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Brandinho

Quote:
Effort wasn't what I was referring to. It's the style of game Neal plays coupled with the fact that he has a heck of a shot and good skill to boot that made him so appealing to Shero.
True and it also took a hell of an asset to get him.

Zherdev requires a waiver claim.

I think it's fair to say that Ray Shero has specific criteria for the kind of player he's willing to make a significant expenditure to get. But for someone available a la Zherdev, I doubt he'd be so picky. And if he were, I think he'd be making a mistake.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Well, I shouldn't have said never, but I REALLLLLLY don't think Shero or Bylsma would want those guys on this team at all.
Because Poniakarovsky was a guy with a notoriously high motor? Not like that worked out all that well...but let's not act like Shero/Byslma won't take a chance on a guy who might not fit their plan to a "T"

Old
02-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Zherdev still doesn't fit. We need skill guys that play the right way. A guy like Neal is a perfect example of the type of player Shero wants. Zherdev is the perfect example of the type of player Shero doesn't want. Zherdev is free since he's on waivers and he's just a rental so maybe that changes things. Shero took Comrie for free and maybe he'll do the same here. I doubt Zherdev falls that far though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
True and it also took a hell of an asset to get him.

Zherdev requires a waiver claim.

I think it's fair to say that Ray Shero has specific criteria for the kind of player he's willing to make a significant expenditure to get. But for someone available a la Zherdev, I doubt he'd be so picky. And if he were, I think he'd be making a mistake.
I don't know if I'd call Goligoski a Hell of an asset. I realize he had value, being a PMD and all, but I wouldn't label him a Hell of an asset. It's not like we traded Orpik, Staal or Letang.

And you could very well be right. Shero might be willing to take a flier on Zherdev, but he also has to keep in mind that his head coach has a penchant for guys who play a certain style and might not play Zherdev in the right role or to the best of his ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
Because Poniakarovsky was a guy with a notoriously high motor? Not like that worked out all that well...but let's not act like Shero/Byslma won't take a chance on a guy who might not fit their plan to a "T"
And Poni was a colossal failure. What kind of a taste do you think that left in Shero/Bylsma's mouths?

Old
02-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Brandinho

Quote:
I don't know if I'd call Goligoski a Hell of an asset. I realize he had value, being a PMD and all, but I wouldn't label him a Hell of an asset. It's not like we traded Orpik, Staal or Letang.
I think the return Goligoski brought says all that needs to be said about his value. I doubt Orpik brings any more in a trade. I think Orpik's a better and more valuable defenseman, absolutely, but I doubt his value in a trade is any higher.

Quote:
And you could very well be right. Shero might be willing to take a flier on Zherdev, but he also has to keep in mind that his head coach has a penchant for guys who play a certain style and might not play Zherdev in the right role or to the best of his ability.
Fair point about Bylsma, but here's the thing...Zherdev's on a one year, prorated contract. If he doesn't work out, bench him and then part ways in the offseason. No harm done.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
And Poni was a colossal failure. What kind of a taste do you think that left in Shero/Bylsma's mouths?
And Poniakarovsky doesn't have the talent of Zherdev...different players, different circumstances.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Poni actually looked like a good fit on the surface. He was big enough to win battles and had a good reputation as a defensive forward. He's just a streaky scorer and never got on a hot streak with the Pens.

Satan and Comrie are examples of guys that didn't really fit what we do, but Shero had nothing to lose with Comrie and he was desperate when he made the Satan move because of Hossa leaving. Maybe he'll feel he's got nothing to lose with Zherdev, but I still think Bylsma will hate the guy and I mean hate. Like buried on the 4th line or healthy scratched all the time type of hate.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
I think the return Goligoski brought says all that needs to be said about his value. I doubt Orpik brings any more in a trade. I think Orpik's a better and more valuable defenseman, absolutely, but I doubt his value in a trade is any higher.
I think Orpik's value far surpasses Goligoski's. He's a better skater, he has a great pass, and plays well in his own zone, PKs and hits like a truck to boot. Orpik as a centerpiece could probably land us a top-tier winger.

Quote:
Fair point about Bylsma, but here's the thing...Zherdev's on a one year, prorated contract. If he doesn't work out, bench him and then part ways in the offseason. No harm done.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see someone with Zherdev's skills on this team, especially playing the "Sykora role" on Geno's line. I just don't think it's realistic with the way our GM and coach operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
And Poniakarovsky doesn't have the talent of Zherdev...different players, different circumstances.
Comrie is pretty talented himself, and he was relegated to the 4th line before you could bat an eye prior to his injury.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Tweed

Right handed Right Winger. If he wasn't either, I wouldn't do it. But, he is, so I'm down for trying him.

Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:47 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I find it funny that a guy like Poni is vilified because his success was due to inflated ice time on a bad team. Meanwhile everyone thinks Kennedy is turning a corner because he's scoring more now that everyone is hurt. They also think Sterling needs to be on the big club next year. Noted.

As far as Zherdev goes, there is zero.....repeat......ZERO risk in taking him on. You give up no assets, only pay a fraction of his salary, and you don't have to worry about whether or not you want him here next year. If he passes through it's a mistake sorry. They lose absolutely nothing by taking him on. With all his flaws he's better than 75% of their forwards, end of story.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I find it funny that a guy like Poni is vilified because his success was due to inflated ice time on a bad team. Meanwhile everyone thinks Kennedy is turning a corner because he's scoring more now that everyone is hurt. They also think Sterling needs to be on the big club next year. Noted.

As far as Zherdev goes, there is zero.....repeat......ZERO risk in taking him on. You give up no assets, only pay a fraction of his salary, and you don't have to worry about whether or not you want him here next year. If he passes through it's a mistake sorry. They lose absolutely nothing by taking him on. With all his flaws he's better than 75% of their forwards, end of story.
I totally agree with your second paragraph. You risk nothing but a small salary you can easily afford. An he has offensive acumen most on this team can only dream about. If he doesn't work out so be it.

Aud Won* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

You make sure he's the right fit because, though you could just waive him if he doesn't, you only get one shot at bringing someone in.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote