HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospects Updates 2010-11 Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Pellegrino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Oh I know, just interesting how it seemed certain he'd remain in Sweden, now it's something that could change.
I'm not suggesting that he's staying in Sweden, or moving to the NHL... Just saying that it's a waste of time to read what he tells media.

Old
04-16-2011, 04:13 AM
kuparinen

Silfverberg made the team to Czech Hockey Games, the last tournament before the WC. It's a strong team, six NHL-forwards is on the squad.

The roster: http://www.swehockey.se/ImageVault/I...ltHandler.aspx

Old
04-16-2011, 05:26 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
this seems encouraging.

also encouraging, david rundblad is one of the non-NHLers on that roster.

04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Mathieu

Too bad EK couldn't make it, would have been nice to see Kalsson and Rundblad on the same team

Old
04-16-2011, 11:28 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
Too bad EK couldn't make it, would have been nice to see Kalsson and Rundblad on the same team
Luckily, you won't have to wait too long for that.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Mathieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Luckily, you won't have to wait too long for that.
True. I'm so excited to see our defense next year

Old
04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
True. I'm so excited to see our defense next year
You do realize that Gonchar, Phillips, Karlsson, Lee, Carkner & Kuba are all signed for next season. Unless there are a couple of trades or someone is waived or bought out or something, these guys will likely be on the starting roster next season. Kuba & Carkner are UFAs after next season which may mean that they will get traded at next yr's deadline.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
You do realize that Gonchar, Phillips, Karlsson, Lee, Carkner & Kuba are all signed for next season. Unless there are a couple of trades or someone is waived or bought out or something, these guys will likely be on the starting roster next season. Kuba & Carkner are UFAs after next season which may mean that they will get traded at next yr's deadline.
I'm sure a few will be moved or Lee/Carkner will play 7th man rotation. Rundblad and Cowen have spots and will have to show they can't play and need AHL time (possibly 9 games each in the NHL) before they are sent down. I am expecting a few moves on D this off season.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
I'm sure a few will be moved or Lee/Carkner will play 7th man rotation. Rundblad and Cowen have spots and will have to show they can't play and need AHL time (possibly 9 games each in the NHL) before they are sent down. I am expecting a few moves on D this off season.
That remains to be seen, I too expect they will get some actually NHL games but neither need to play the nine games. If they don't make Ottawa they will certainly be sent down to Bingo, Cowen won't be going back to junior.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
That remains to be seen, I too expect they will get some actually NHL games but neither need to play the nine games. If they don't make Ottawa they will certainly be sent down to Bingo, Cowen won't be going back to junior.
It's been made clear they will make Ottawa. The only way both (and only one does) don't is if we don't buy out Kuba and can't make room....they have made it blatantly obvious making room is a priority they will try and come through on. Carkner is probably the de facto 7th Dman to start next year.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:26 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
It's been made clear they will make Ottawa. The only way both (and only one does) don't is if we don't buy out Kuba and can't make room....they have made it blatantly obvious making room is a priority they will try and come through on. Carkner is probably the de facto 7th Dman to start next year.
This is basically what I'm saying, they have six defencemen under contract for next season & until something is done with one or two of them then there is no room for the young defencemen. Personally, I just don't see them buying out Kuba, he is only a yr removed from having a 40 pt season, I think they still give him another chance next season to return to form. If he does well his stock rises & Ottawa gets something for him at the deadline, if not, they waive him & hope someone picks him up going down or on re-entry waivers. Does it make financial sense to just buy out Kuba with only one yr left on his contract?

BTW do you think that both Cowen & Rundblad are closer to NHL ready than Wiercioch & Gryba? What if one of Hale, Benoit or D. Smith is re-signed is it possible one of them become the 7th D. There are other possibilities than just the young guys. Are you sure that Melnyk wants to pay for a guy like Carkner to sit on the sidelines at $.700K? Wouldn't Hale be cheaper. If the Sens aren't going anywhere next yr why pay Rundblad & Cowen NHL salaries when they can develop in Bingo for a good portion of the yr. Just being the devil's advocate here but you can see their are other options.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
This is basically what I'm saying, they have six defencemen under contract for next season & until something is done with one or two of them then there is no room for the young defencemen. Personally, I just don't see them buying out Kuba, he is only a yr removed from having a 40 pt season, I think they still give him another chance next season to return to form. If he does well his stock rises & Ottawa gets something for him at the deadline, if not, they waive him & hope someone picks him up going down or on re-entry waivers. Will they just get rid of an asset that way?

BTW do you think that both Cowen & Rundblad are closer to NHL ready than Wiercioch & Gryba? What if one of Hale, Benoit or D. Smith is re-signed is it possible one of them become the 7th D. There are other possibilities than just the young guys. Are you sure that Melnyk wants to pay for a guy like Carkner to sit on the sidelines at $.700K? Wouldn't Hale be cheaper. If the Sens aren't going anywhere next yr why pay Rundblad & Cowen NHL salaries when they can develop in Bingo for a good portion of the yr. Just being the devil's advocate here but you can see their are other options.
Kuba had a 40 point season when he got significant PP time, that's still a pretty season considering that. He was an embarrassment all season, so they may just part with him unless they have reason to suspect his value will increase. If they don't think anyones going to want him for anything worthwhile by the deadline...no sense having him disrupt and take away development time from kids we want in the roster. Melnyk is saving tons of money on the roster, didn't hire a new coach mid-season, and will probably look to save money in other ways....perhaps a Kuba buy-out is already a part of the budget.

Rundblad and Cowen closer to the NHL than Gryba and Weircioch? Yes, by about a year. Cowen was arguably ready this year but there was no AHL option, and the contract situation was even tougher....now he's 20, he's two years removed from the knee, he's ready right now and most people that have seen him play said he could have been here all year. Mark Habscheid coach of Chilliwack recently said it's basically silly how he's still in junior.

700,000 for a 7th Dman isn't bad at all. Especially when your 7th is ready always for an injury or an enforcer role...that's probably the going rate for a 7th anyways. Better have that than pay less for an AHL Dman.

Why pay Rundblad and Cowen NHL salaries when they could be in the AHL? Because Rundblad just about proved everything he could in a mens league already and as a 9th overall pick it's time Cowen plays in the NHL.

The thing you aren't realizing or atleast not acknowledging, is it's only April, lots can happen...and no one on the Sens side has admitted we aren't going anywhere next year. They will try and make the playoffs, they will probably fail, but 20 year old Cowen, 21 year old Rundblad, 21 year old Karlsson and a slew of other 25 and unders will have gained a year of NHL experience and will probably move forward the next year as a result.

The Sens have pieces in place that will facilitate a rebuild. A franchise center and a starting goaltender.

Old
04-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Kuba had a 40 point season when he got significant PP time, that's still a pretty season considering that. He was an embarrassment all season, so they may just part with him unless they have reason to suspect his value will increase. If they don't think anyones going to want him for anything worthwhile by the deadline...no sense having him disrupt and take away development time from kids we want in the roster. Melnyk is saving tons of money on the roster, didn't hire a new coach mid-season, and will probably look to save money in other ways....perhaps a Kuba buy-out is already a part of the budget.

Rundblad and Cowen closer to the NHL than Gryba and Weircioch? Yes, by about a year. Cowen was arguably ready this year but there was no AHL option, and the contract situation was even tougher....now he's 20, he's two years removed from the knee, he's ready right now and most people that have seen him play said he could have been here all year. Mark Habscheid coach of Chilliwack recently said it's basically silly how he's still in junior.

700,000 for a 7th Dman isn't bad at all. Especially when your 7th is ready always for an injury or an enforcer role...that's probably the going rate for a 7th anyways. Better have that than pay less for an AHL Dman.

Why pay Rundblad and Cowen NHL salaries when they could be in the AHL? Because Rundblad just about proved everything he could in a mens league already and as a 9th overall pick it's time Cowen plays in the NHL.

The thing you aren't realizing or atleast not acknowledging, is it's only April, lots can happen...and no one on the Sens side has admitted we aren't going anywhere next year. They will try and make the playoffs, they will probably fail, but 20 year old Cowen, 21 year old Rundblad, 21 year old Karlsson and a slew of other 25 and unders will have gained a year of NHL experience and will probably move forward the next year as a result.

The Sens have pieces in place that will facilitate a rebuild. A franchise center and a starting goaltender.
Great post. And the bolded part is very encouraging to hear from an opposing team's coach. Like you said, we'll try to make the playoffs and more then likely fail. But at least were losing with young guns who will be improving constantly, not overpaid vets who've plateaued long ago and are much more likely to regress rather then improve year to year.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:27 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

Well I certainly hope they do something with Kuba I just don't think they will but we have 6 more months to find out. I certainly thought Cowen was ready last yr when I saw him at the development camp & wrote as much & I also agree that Rundblad probably is ready for the NHL, my point was that there isn't room so we'll have to wait & see what Murray does to accomodate those two. Good discussion.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Well I certainly hope they do something with Kuba I just don't think they will but we have 6 more months to find out. I certainly thought Cowen was ready last yr when I saw him at the development camp & wrote as much & I also agree that Rundblad probably is ready for the NHL, my point was that there isn't room so we'll have to wait & see what Murray does to accomodate those two. Good discussion.
Yeah, that's true. I guess it comes down to optimistic hope that Murray will get it done and the young guys will step in. Whether it's logical or not is another story

Old
04-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
IHe showed no emotion throughout the whole game, except when Johnson scored the tying goal he was going crazy and pretty much picked him up in his arms and gave him a bear hug.

This is great, psyched for next season.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Sens Mile

Curious if we have updates on Jakob Silfverberg and Louie Caprusso ELC's? We are at risk for Caprusso and may have to resort to trading his negotiating rights

Old
04-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Curious if we have updates on Jakob Silfverberg and Louie Caprusso ELC's? We are at risk for Caprusso and may have to resort to trading his negotiating rights
Silfverberg said he's not ready to make the jump to the NHL next season, so he'll stay in Sweden one more year.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Sens Mile

Additionally the Tigers won their round and advance to Confrence finals against Kootney. Spokane series is 2-2, huge game tomorrow. Really pulling for a Tigers- Chiefs final

Old
04-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 View Post
Silfvergber said he's not ready to make the jump to the NHL next season, so he'll stay in Sweden one more year.
Alright, atleast we still have his negotiation rights, I know Murray said on Tuesday that they were negotiating with him. Not surprised if he doesn't sign this summer.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:51 PM
DoctorDoak

Quote:
I too have been wondering what's going on with Louie Caporusso... his numbers were down this year, but apparently his defensive game improved. Also wondering if Ben Blood gets signed out of NDak, or if he goes back for a senior season, but with Cowen, Rundblad, Wiercioch, and Gryba all ahead of him on the curve, he's probably better off deferring turning pro and getting a degree.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Silfverberg said he's not ready to make the jump to the NHL next season, so he'll stay in Sweden one more year.
That's what I like to hear.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDoak View Post
I too have been wondering what's going on with Louie Caporusso... his numbers were down this year, but apparently his defensive game improved. Also wondering if Ben Blood gets signed out of NDak, or if he goes back for a senior season, but with Cowen, Rundblad, Wiercioch, and Gryba all ahead of him on the curve, he's probably better off deferring turning pro and getting a degree.
Let Ben Blood stay for next year, there is no point at this time

Old
04-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Quote:
Alright, atleast we still have his negotiation rights, I know Murray said on Tuesday that they were negotiating with him. Not surprised if he doesn't sign this summer.
Over a month ago when he signed with Brynas for another year he said he'd be staying in Sweden. Last week he said he wasn't sure anymore. That was the same day Murray implied they were in the middle of trying to sign him.

There's a chance he comes over this year.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:18 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
silfverberg: because he signed with brynas, if we dont sign him he becomes a defected player, and we hold his rights indefinitely.

caporusso: can become a free agent on august 15th. Lots of risk for him that late though as he'd most likely have to be a training camp invite somewhere and try to earn a contract. Unless he just doesnt want to sign with the sens, dont see why he'd opt for that route, as he's unlikely to get a better bonus structure anywhere else and sens org has as many opportunities as any for him.

Closed Thread