HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Braden Holtby (Now: Playoff Goaltending)

Old
02-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Braden Holtby (Now: Playoff Goaltending)

As far as Washington's future goaltending is concerned, there's Varlamov and there's Neuvirth. But then there's also Braden Holtby, who has really impressed me in on limited viewing, once against the Leafs, once tonight against the Marlies in the AHL and then I think one other time as well. He's big, agile, athletic, made two great glove saves on point blank slappers in the shootout tonight. Where does he fall in the grand scheme of Capitals goalies of the future? Definitely a guy to keep an eye on, could be special.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:37 PM
EroCaps

I seem to remember hearing something about Irbe being a big fan. That could mean that Varlamov or Neuvirth is the odd-man out when they have to make the move and a lot could ride on one of those guys having a great playoffs.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I seem to remember hearing something about Irbe being a big fan. That could mean that Varlamov or Neuvirth is the odd-man out when they have to make the move and a lot could ride on one of those guys having a great playoffs.
I'm surprised Varlamov hasn't built on his 2009? playoff run more the past few years to cement his job as the starter, but Holtby seems like a guy to develop. Just seems to have a bit of cockiness about him from what I've seen. Neuvirth hasn't really impressed me at all, but I think it's something to do with him not having his best games against the Leafs, where I've really only seen him. It's a good problem to have, but I wouldn't be too quick to move any of them...

Old
02-23-2011, 11:56 PM
IafrateOvie34

I would say Holtby is very high on the organization's list. He plays with confidence and his puck handling skills are like having an extra defenseman. I wouldn't be surprised if he scores a few Empty Net goals and has a few assists in his career. I've been impressed from what I've seen.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Capitlols

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he is our future goalie. I think his puck-handling can do wonders to stifle a fore-check and start a counterattack. My only concern is his mental game, he himself said he wasn't in the right frame of mind in the Philly game to start and in the another game after he let one in it all seemed to unravel. He'll need all the experience he can get, but I don't think he's too far off.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm surprised Varlamov hasn't built on his 2009 playoff run more to cement his job as the starter
I think his inability to stay healthy has been the only reason he'd not done so? Although BB does seem reluctant to name a #1, even when both are healthy, so who knows..

As far as Holtby, I think he's probably got more promise than either Varly or Neuvi, at this point.. Just soooo young..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:25 AM
HTFN

If Holtby doesn't let his head get to him, and pans out, he strikes me as the best of the three as well.

However, I'm thinking it makes Varlamov the odd one out.

Neuvirth has that 1B thing about him, and I think ultimately that makes him the kind of goalie you keep around on a 50-30 type split, with his starter-esque ability to string starts together and his not inconsiderable skill. Feels like Varlamov will require too much money to keep both he and the Hypothetical Holtby on the roster, but could possibly fetch a hefty enough offer sheet, if he earns it.

If Varlamov continues to be injured yearly, maybe that changes.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Seikalym

I've always been a huge fan of Holtby since the day we drafted him. His numbers were overlooked when he was a prospect due to playing on one of the worst teams in the CHL and having to face the most shots. Still, he had a pretty good SV% and was taken in the 4th round. Now i'm not saying that he's a franchise goalie, but I wouldn't mind moving Neuvirth or Varly for a key asset and having Holtby be the backup (for now).

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:37 AM
Atlas

Holtby is a good prospect. We'll see. Varly is the best goalie the Caps have ever had. He is the real deal. Neuvy is solid but unspectacular. He's the guy I'd shop. Not that I want to trade him but if another team offered a player I really liked for him I'd do it.

We'll see about Holtby. I like him but, of course, he has a lot to prove before considering him an NHLer.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 07:13 AM
txpd

the marlies took slap shots in the shootout twice? alrighty then. as to holtby. he has as good a chance as anybody in the caps system. all three have something special that they can point to. varly won the rangers series. neuvirth won two straight calder cups. holtby has shown himself well.

varly got the first shot, but has been injured and could have done more for the caps vs montreal last season. neuvirth doesnt have nhl playoff experience yet. holtby isnt an nhl player yet.

the caps have riches and dont need to make decisions on not keeping one of these players for at least two more seasons.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 07:16 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Varly is the best goalie the Caps have ever had.
Is? Lets not go too far. Varly is today already NOT better than Olaf Kolzig.
I love Varly, but thats just not true. In an overall context I am not sure he is even better than Neuvirth.

Old
02-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Millhaus

What is Holtby's waiver situation next year?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:16 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
What is Holtby's waiver situation next year?
Exempt. Which is why with the return we have seen for goalies via trade, this conversation appears premature from my perspective especially with Neuvirth re-signed.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Funkyalligator

IMHO holtby is the goalie of the future but the caps still have a year or two to figure it out. Holtby is a tough player with a mean streak exactly the type of goalie you want...it's only been varly's injuries that have kept us from selecting the two goalies of the future.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:11 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Exempt. Which is why with the return we have seen for goalies via trade, this conversation appears premature from my perspective especially with Neuvirth re-signed.
schneider and bernier. when did they go waiver required?

Old
02-24-2011, 09:45 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
schneider and bernier. when did they go waiver required?
I'd have to research it, but why?

Pretty sure Bernier is still waiver exempt right now, but I'd have to look at the details to say it as fact.

I do know Schneider is in his 4th pro hockey season, but without looking at the details I can't say what his current status is.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Foy

Varly still hasn't accomplished as much as Jim Carey did in DC. Let's not start putting Varly up in the all-time list. He's still not a top 5 as far as I'm concern. Hell, I'd still put Huet above Varly for his one run.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I'd have to research it, but why?

Pretty sure Bernier is still waiver exempt right now, but I'd have to look at the details to say it as fact.

I do know Schneider is in his 4th pro hockey season, but without looking at the details I can't say what his current status is.
thinking about the value of prospect goalies. schneider confused me a bit. he was a 2004 draft to varly/neuvy 2006, but was a college player. he was waiver excempt til this season.

i imagine the caps wont make a choice on the three goalies til holtby runs out of free developement time.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

@jwaltonhockey reporting holtby has lower body injury and is week to week.

no link, sorry.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post

no link, sorry.
@sweetesthockey
Just speculation, but Holtby made a save and landed funny during the shootout last night. Seemed to be stretching out his leg between rounds

http://twitter.com/sweetesthockey/st...18780678529024

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:17 PM
blueberrydanish

I just don't see Holtby on the same level as Neuvy/Varly. I know both Neuvy/Varly are also new goaltenders and there is alot unanswered about their abilities and careers...but I just don't really have much faith at all when I watch Holtby for the Caps.

Just my view on the guy, Id obviously like to be proven wrong since he is apart of the Caps organization.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Stephen

How did he play tonight? Sounds like he played a great game in relief. Really like what he could do for the future...

Old
03-08-2011, 05:58 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post

no link, sorry.
Ha, missed the date on this and started to panic!

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 06:03 AM
txpd

he was solid. he made one ridiculous save/save of the year. we very likely wont see the caps make a decision on which of these three goalies they keep for two more years. no need to.

Old
03-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Stewie G

He is just so calm the entire time too. Nothing seems to faze him.

I loved the breakout pass. I'm not quite sure which two defensemen were out there at the time, but anything that helps keep the puck off Sloan and Erskine's sticks is fine by me.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote