HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers and Stars have had preliminary Richards discussions

Old
02-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
I think a lot of people missed the "BELIEVED".

Stop misconstruing the words of a rumor. (I know that is asking a lot on these boards)
No one missed it. Calm down.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:09 AM
trickster

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
lolololololololololololol, I wouldn't trade Staal for Richards straight up.
Absolutely.
That is dreaming...

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Sticky Fingers

That is just plain ridiculous. Staal alone is overpaying. Stepan and some more, fine...

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Crede777
Deputized

If this is true, then I hope Nieuwy had his reputation go down and now has less phones.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:13 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Staal, Stepan and Dubinsky... now that's what I call a home run! AHHHHH! I doubt this'll go down. Rangers need Staal like sumo wrestlers need Jenny Craig.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
You wouldn't trade Richards for Dubinsky straight up?

I'm gonna be honest here, I'm not sure I'd trade Dubinsky for a rented Richards either. I'd easily do it if I had a guarantee Richards would sign though.
I wouldn't. No way. Richards can be had in free agency. Why give up such an important player if you don't have to? Yeah, maybe we miss out on Richards by not dealing for him, but I'm willing to roll the dice. We'll be a much better team with both of them rather than 1 or the other. Trading 1 for the other might improve the team, but not enough. Dubinsky is not easily replaceable.

Dollar for dollar, Dubinsky is a better value than Richards right now. Dubinsky is due a new contract, but he may still be a better value, depending on how much Richards gets. In a cap world, it's not always about who's the better player, but rather who gives you a better bang for your buck.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Ail
k.

Good stuff.

02-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

The Rangers shouldn't even trade Marc Staal straight up, let alone adding Stepan and Dubinsky along with him.

I think Brooks is on some crazy stuff. I don't believe this.

Habitant le colon

Wow que de belles foutaise de presse ... if it happen we will laugh out loud (and suffer ...)!

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RomanianLeafs

haha JOE N no one would give u that for richards even if he signs an extension before the trade...

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

If that were true and I were sather I would publicly announce that I am interested in signing Brad Richards for X-amount of dollars and elt it be known to everyone in the Stars organization that I may very well get him for free in 3 months time and put all the pressure on Joe to decide what to do.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Except that's illegal...

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
If that were true and I were sather I would publicly announce that I am interested in signing Brad Richards for X-amount of dollars and elt it be known to everyone in the Stars organization that I may very well get him for free in 3 months time and put all the pressure on Joe to decide what to do.
I'm sure that would be considered tampering, and I'm also sure that dallas knows of our interest in signing Richards in the offseason. The pressure is already on them to either trade him or risk losing him for nothing.

Old
02-24-2011, 08:27 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Marc Staal? Just so they can get Richards and still not be one of the strongest contenders? No way in hell.

As far as them simply talking, Nieuwendyk flat out said he's talked to a lot of teams about Richards so on a general level this really means nothing. On the level of what the return would be it's a complete fabrication.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
Crazy, won't happen. Then again, it's Slats.
Slats is a moron when it comes to signing UFA:s, but a wizard in trades. This won't happen. I would guess acquiring Richard as a rental would take something like Stepan/Anisimov+1st+2nd/prospect.

I don't think that dealing any out of Staal/Dubinsky/Callahan is on the table. The rest are movable.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:30 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Not worth it at all. I wouldn't worry about it because if a deal goes down I find it highly unlikely that either of those guys are going the other way. And if they are the trade is dumb, not that it wouldn't be fair. Just can't give up our young guys.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:34 AM
LeafsGetTavares*

Awful overpayment

LeafsGetTavares* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:37 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Not only is Richards a rental . . . he's a rental that can't even play at the moment because of a concussion. There's no telling when Richards will be symptom free and able to play.

A signed and healthy (at a reasonable contract) Richards is unlikely to bring back the return of Staal, Dubinsky, and Stepan. In reality, Richards' trade value is at a an all time low due to the contract and concussion. If Nieuendyk expects a return even within the same atmosphere as those three players, there's no chance that Dallas trades him, because no GM -- not Sather, not Lombardi, not Burke, or anyone else -- is going to come close.

Perhaps Dallas still believes that they can re-sign him, but Nieuendyk's comments about the ownership situation and that being Richards' hangup yesterday on NHL Live certainly didn't lead me to believe that Richards will be re-signed by Dallas. Add to all this the fact that Dallas has plummeted in the standings and is in real danger of missing the playoffs even if they keep Richards (who, again, may not even be able to play and help the team in the short term).

Honestly, I could not imagine a worse position with less leverage than the one Nieuendyk is in.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Starsrule!

Richards for Anisimov, McDonagh and a 1st or something along those lines is what the deal is going to be like if Richards were to move to the Rangers.

And I would be perfectly happy with that provided that there is absolutely zero chance of him re-signing. I would be thoroughly upset if the Stars take the same route as the Mats Sundin saga and lose potential future assets if he does decide to walk come July 1st.

Starsrule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:43 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsrule! View Post
Richards for Anisimov, McDonagh and a 1st or something along those lines is what the deal is going to be like if Richards were to move to the Rangers.

And I would be perfectly happy with that provided that there is absolutely zero chance of him re-signing. I would be thoroughly upset if the Stars take the same route as the Mats Sundin saga and lose potential future assets if he does decide to walk come July 1st.
To be honest, as much as I like Richards as a player, given his concussion, I don't even think that Richards can bring back Anisimov, McDonagh, and a 1st at the moment. The risk is just too great.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:48 AM
GAGLine

Quote:

There's no way the Rangers would give up all that for a pending UFA. That's way too much. There will be no trade for Richards, at least not from the Rangers, but likely not from anyone else.

It's highly doubtful that Richards will play again before the deadline, and no team is going to trade for him without knowing when he will play again.

I think this is just Nieuendyk's way of saying they aren't trading him. If the Rangers were willing to pay all that? Yeah, he'd trade him for that. But there's no way any team would give that much for him and Nieuendyk knows it.

Old
02-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:

That is also ludicrous overpayment.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
TangoMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
That is also ludicrous overpayment.
lol

no...just, no.

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:56 AM
BeaverSports

So we're taking something that Larry Brooks wrote that isn't quoting and presuming it's fact? The Post wants to sell papers and that's what we're seeing here.

That said, Nieuwendyk has said all along that if he's going to move Richards, it will be overpayment that makes the deal happen, and I still believe that to be the case. I think he believes the Stars' recent slide is fueled more by injuries than anything and Jamie Benn's back in and I think I read Adam Burish is also coming back off IR and that Goligoski makes up for a shortcoming they had.

Nieuwendyk has made reference to the amount of home games the team has left (though early in this year, their better efforts actually came on the road), and I think he's thinking playoffs.

It'll probably take three good assets for Richards now. If the team dips further and misses the playoffs, they can always try to get an asset at the draft for him, though the NTC complicates that process a bit.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Starsrule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
There's no way the Rangers would give up all that for a pending UFA. That's way too much. There will be no trade for Richards, at least not from the Rangers, but likely not from anyone else.

It's highly doubtful that Richards will play again before the deadline, and no team is going to trade for him without knowing when he will play again.

I think this is just Nieuendyk's way of saying they aren't trading him. If the Rangers were willing to pay all that? Yeah, he'd trade him for that. But there's no way any team would give that much for him and Nieuendyk knows it.
I agree with you that it is alot, but like Niewendyk said, it will take an overpayment and I feel like a deal like this would benefit both teams. The Rangers aren't totally abandoning their future with a trade like this and the chances of Richards re-signing with the Rangers are greatly increased IMO.

I would compare a deal like this to something that the Thrashers got for both Hossa and Kovalchuk.

So although it may be alot, I think it's a deal that the Rangers should take and will be a better team after making the trade.

Starsrule! is offline   Reply With Quote