HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Lovers, Report for Duty

Old
02-27-2011, 10:49 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
KHL suits Zherdev's lazy style of play. Imagine all the spinoramas he could do on big ice.....

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:06 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfury View Post
You do realize the whole point of "Lovers report for duty" is to show how stupid and warranted all the Zherdev love is, right???

What is it my friend, "stupid" or "warranted" love coming Zherdev's way.

Probably a typo on your part. You seem to be getting quite worked up.

As for this thread, it started after not one team showed nary a bit interest in picking up Zherdev from waivers.

His supporters, I believe, were challenged to explain how could it be that a player his supporters say is so terrific, just couldn't find any suitors from a single NHL team.

I noted the irony that instead of his supporters, among whom I consider myself one, we have had a lot of vitriol directed Zherdev's way, including your impressive contribution.

Get it?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, typo...sorry I am not perfect like you Zherdev lovers! And when the mor...I mean Zherdev lovers are asked to support why they love him so much, the other side is going to respond as well....Its called a discussion.

And my impressive contribution has yet to be countered with any intelligent thought....By the way, it doesnt matter what I think or what you think. The fact that the guy has been a healthy scratch many times this year, and when he is in the lineup plays on the 4th line....and played in the KHL last year because no one wanted him....and was recently waived where teams could pick him up for free and no one wanted him is plenty of support for my position.

You obviously do not know me if you think this is worked up....

Quote:
Actually, I agree with you, although I wouldn't suggest the KHL is much inferior if at all to the NHL.

In fact, I'd argue in terms of hockey, the KHL may be on par if not better than the NHL. However, everything else in the NHL from stadia to salaries, to level of professionalism is much higher than in the KHL.

(And just as Zherdev may not fit the style of play in the NHL, there are probably more than a few NHL players who couldn't hack it in the KHL, among them some Flyers, like Carcillo, Shelley, Powe, and even Hartnell. Wouldn't be able to adapt to the skating and passing afforded by the bigger rinks. Much better suited to the NHL's pinball-like hockey.)

Would love to see St. Petersburg take on the NHL's best.

If they played in both Russia and North America, I could see the Russian team taking a best of seven series, although I would bet each team would win their home games.

I bet Mike in New Jersey that you've never watched any KHL games. Am I right?
Nope, and dont care to either. Irrelevant here in the US. The KHL must be better than the NHL, considering most of the Russian stars are here....even your precious Zherdev left the KHL

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:08 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
KHL suits Zherdev's lazy style of play. Imagine all the spinoramas he could do on big ice.....
Right....and its a little harder to check...hence he doesnt have to leave the ice crying if someone hits him.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
So troll threads are allowed, so long as they are not veiled and the OP is completely correct. Lol @ Jester for not letting people off the hook with this one. A dog with a bone, that one.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:
Just like Leino.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Just like Leino.
Leino is far more effective.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Actually, I agree with you, although I wouldn't suggest the KHL is much inferior if at all to the NHL.

In fact, I'd argue in terms of hockey, the KHL may be on par if not better than the NHL. However, everything else in the NHL from stadia to salaries, to level of professionalism is much higher than in the KHL.

(And just as Zherdev may not fit the style of play in the NHL, there are probably more than a few NHL players who couldn't hack it in the KHL, among them some Flyers, like Carcillo, Shelley, Powe, and even Hartnell. Wouldn't be able to adapt to the skating and passing afforded by the bigger rinks. Much better suited to the NHL's pinball-like hockey.)

Would love to see St. Petersburg take on the NHL's best.

If they played in both Russia and North America, I could see the Russian team taking a best of seven series, although I would bet each team would win their home games.

I bet Mike in New Jersey that you've never watched any KHL games. Am I right?
This post is all kinds of awesome.

However, the bold is just fantastic given that the best European players are in the NHL... so it's a significant drop off in talent from the NHL to the KHL. You have a few guys like Radulov who are over there that could really make an impact in the NHL, but past that there aren't a lot of guys that could hold down a regular shift in the NHL.

Patrick Thoresen is a nice grinder in the NHL, and an offensive stud in the KHL... do the math. All the players you just listed (other than Shelley), btw, would be above average players in the KHL.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
So, Zherdev had a good game last night. Instead of talking about how well he played, let's talk about how he's not going to play well in the future .

...and you guys didn't even want to give him a chance.
One game where he played, if he had done that two weeks ago no one would be discussing his lack of effort. Maybe that should be the dicsussion?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
One game where he played, if he had done that two weeks ago no one would be discussing his lack of effort. Maybe that should be the dicsussion?

A little over the top. Z has played good games before the Ottawa debacle.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
A little over the top. Z has played good games before the Ottawa debacle.
What I am saying is he has had his chances but seems to eventually run the same course, if that is the case why keep him around for a 20+ game stretch where he could be the difference between a SC or a 2nd round loss? Get me someone who the team can count on every night to show up.

Old
02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
HoverCarle*

I am fine with him as a 12th/13th forward, even though he is a nobhead

Old
02-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I am fine with him as a 12th/13th forward, even though he is a nobhead
With the recent reports on how this team has been underperforming against teams who they should handle better I do not want this guy anywhere near the team. They have 10 months where they need to focus and work hard towards a common goal, even one bad seed can cause the whole thing to fail. I would perfer to see some guys who want to win and hate losing, guys like Laperriere are hard to come by, but someone who just fills a role. They are fine with scoring, near the top in the league. Zherdev can keep hoping he will get a chance but they should just send him to Glens Falls.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:36 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
With the recent reports on how this team has been underperforming against teams who they should handle better I do not want this guy anywhere near the team. They have 10 months where they need to focus and work hard towards a common goal, even one bad seed can cause the whole thing to fail. I would perfer to see some guys who want to win and hate losing, guys like Laperriere are hard to come by, but someone who just fills a role. They are fine with scoring, near the top in the league. Zherdev can keep hoping he will get a chance but they should just send him to Glens Falls.
I don't want him anywhere near the team. This season was supposed to be his second chance season, a time to prove that he was going to be a better player and teammate and he failed. How many times did we see him get benched for most of the third period or just scratched for the likes of Shelley or Carcillo? He has to have his hand held and only responds for a game or two before he gets back into his old habits. Send him to the AHL and then he can go wherever he wants next season.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:37 PM
phillyfury

Patrick Thoresen is a nice grinder in the NHL, and an offensive stud in the KHL... do the math. All the players you just listed (other than Shelley), btw, would be above average players in the KHL.[/QUOTE]

And you've watched KHL games as well?

No, but you're able to compare the two? Is that the type of empiricism they're teaching at Penn these days?

There's a lot more talent from Slovakia, Czech Republic, Russia and elsewhere off the NHL radar, and much of it is not inferior at all to that in the NHL. Many guys came back because they weren't up to or not interested in the physical style of play in the NHL, including some former Flyers, like Petr Hubacek.

And, whether the players you mention would automatically be successful in the KHL, I think you're assuming a bit here, based on the case of Thoresen.

I could counter with the case of Brendan Morrison, who barely made much of an impact in the much more modest Czech league back during the lockout whenever that was.

Czech coaches were less than awed by this NHL 'talent'.

I'd take Hubacek over Morrison. But many NHL teams wouldn't. But KHL teams have gone after Hubacek.

Again, he is suited for the high-skill, low-violence game of the KHL.

Essentially two different games. NHL hockey is much faster, due to the tighter rinks, with more pucks pinging about, and more grinding along the boards.

KHL, more open ice, passing, less hitting and checking along the boards.

Again, let the two leagues have their champs meet in an inter-continental Cup. I think it would be a lot closer than many think.

Last edited by phillyfury: 02-28-2011 at 04:49 PM.
phillyfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Didn't a similiar event happen last year? I'm pretty sure the teams with the most NHL stars did better, and even won a gold medal.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:50 PM
HoverCarle*

I dont even think Zherdev made the russian olympic team, he is a nob

Old
02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Patrick Thoresen is a nice grinder in the NHL, and an offensive stud in the KHL... do the math. All the players you just listed (other than Shelley), btw, would be above average players in the KHL.[/QUOTE]

And you've watched KHL games as well?

No, but you're able to compare the two? Is that the type of empiricism they're teaching at Penn these days?

There's a lot more talent from Slovakia, Czech Republic, Russia and elsewhere off the NHL radar, and much of it is not inferior at all to that in the NHL. Many guys came back because they weren't up to or not interested in the physical style of play in the NHL, including some former Flyers, like Petr Hubacek.

And, whether the players you mention would automatically be successful in the KHL, I think you're assuming a bit here, based on the case of Thoresen.

I could counter with the case of Brendan Morrison, who barely made much of an impact in the much more modest Czech league back during the lockout whenever that was.

I'd take Hubacek over Morrison. But many NHL teams wouldn't. But KHL teams have gone after Hubacek.

Again, he is suited for the high-skill, low-violence game of the KHL.

Essentially two different games. NHL hockey is much faster, due to the tighter rinks, with more pucks pinging about, and more grinding along the boards.

KHL, more open ice, passing, less hitting and checking along the boards.

Again, let the two leagues have their champs meet in an inter-continental Cup. I think it would be a lot closer than many think.
I have, the internet is a magical thing. So, once again, stop assuming you know anything about the people you are talking to.

Again and again, you continue to prove that you're rather ignorant in what you're talking about.

However, lets pull out some specifics to really breakdown how full of **** you are:

Quote:

Brendan Morrison played 8 games... just 8 games... in the Czech league in '99-00. He posted 5-2-7 in 6 games for HC IPB Pojistovna Pardubice, and didn't have a point in 2 games for SK Horacka Slavia Trebic. Ignoring the fact that this is a RIDICULOUSLY small sample, I'm going to go out on a limb and say 5 goals in 6 games for HC IPB Pojistovna Pardubice represents a good rate of production for that league.

During the lockout, Morrison played in the SEL and posted 44 points in 45 games for Linkopings HC (higher than his career average in the NHL).

So, awesome fail job their, phillyfury. Really showing off that you don't know what you're talking about. Your boy, Petr Hubacek has torn up the Czech league with 231 points in 436 games.... and managed a sparkling 21 points in the AHL in 98 games. Case in point: weak player over here, goes over there and does better against the weaker competition. Granted, I'm sure he was a better player down the road, but not good enough for the NHL.

The KHL is an inferior hockey league to the NHL, with less talent on each roster across the board. There's a reason Robert Esche can resurrect his career over there (just like so many others): the players aren't as good. The bigger surfaces do have impact on the style of play, but that doesn't have any impact on the difference in talent.

All you're really doing here is displaying how little you understand the sport (both the NHL, and internationally).

Old
02-28-2011, 04:56 PM
phillyfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Didn't a similiar event happen last year? I'm pretty sure the teams with the most NHL stars did better, and even won a gold medal.
No. On the international scene, Canada, let alone the US, have faired quite poorly.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
No. On the international scene, Canada, let alone the US, have faired quite poorly.
You definitely slept through the Olympics last year.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Hahaha... I hope the rock you live under has plumbing.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
phillyfury

What have I assumed? One, that you don't speak Czech, which was correct, and, two, that you don't watch KHL games, which was incorrect. Not many assumptions there. Okay, Morrison was a weak case, I concede, but I still argue that failure in the NHL does not mean inferior in ability. Hubacek couldn't cut it statistically in the AHL doesn't convince me he is inferior ability-wise to most of the players there, in the NHL, or AHL. Again, I'd love to see the two leagues bring their two best teams together. If the KHL teams get crucified, I eat crow. But the Russian teams won't lose at home, and people like you will be forced to admit that once again maybe not everything is so wonderful or the best in America.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
phillyfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You definitely slept through the Olympics last year.
As you must have four years earlier in Turin. Remember that one?

Old
02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
What have I assumed? One, that you don't speak Czech, which was correct, and, two, that you don't watch KHL games, which was incorrect. Not many assumptions there. Okay, Morrison was a weak case, I concede, but I still argue that failure in the NHL does not mean inferior in ability. Hubacek couldn't cut it statistically in the AHL doesn't convince me he is inferior ability-wise to most of the players there, in the NHL, or AHL. Again, I'd love to see the two leagues bring their two best teams together.
As judged by, ya know, playing ice hockey in the most competitive league in the world... yes it does. Hubacek is inferior to the AHL/NHL players... that's why he struggled. Same reason any number of NA born players struggle in the AHL/NHL and find their way over to European leagues where they have greater success and make a career of it...

Quote:
If the KHL teams get crucified, I eat crow. But the Russian teams won't lose at home, and people like you will be forced to admit that once again maybe not everything is so wonderful or the best in America.
Who the **** ever said that? Seriously, who? The NHL is demonstrably superior to the European leagues. That may change in the future, but that ain't tomorrow.

Just like MLS sucks compared to the European soccer leagues.

You're making a discussion about *ing ice hockey a matter of ethnocentric chauvinism? Seriously dude, climb down off of Z's D for a few moments to gain some perspective.

Old
02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
phillyfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hahaha... I hope the rock you live under has plumbing.
Why don't you thumb through your stats, nerd. Look at who's won the most World Championships. See a lot of Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, Sweden, Canada, sprinkled in there, US hardly at all. And before you whine about how the NHL's best are occupied with playoffs et al, check the year Gretzky played in 1982. Check that Canada roster, and still they managed just a bronze, losing one game to Czechoslovakia 6-2.