HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Steve Bernier on waivers

Old
02-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Squeeven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
You're absolutely right.

This team's inconsistency with predicting the future in its entirety is beyond a joke. Fire them all.
Can't say that about Logan Couture though. We got him 9th overall in 2007, so DW was really smart there. But not so smart with Bernier. But Milan Michalek wasn't bad, I liked him in SJ.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:32 AM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Seto isn't a win at all. Seto is a loss because the Sharks chose him over Kopitar because Burke thought Kopitar was overrated.
There is almost always going to be a grass is greener pick. I don't think you can judge drafting by using that kind of example or every team in the league sucks at drafting. Pick any team you want and it's easy to list many examples like this.

Personally, I look at the whole draft class and compare it to other teams. In 2005, the Sharks got Setoguchi and Vlasic with Stalock still looking like he could be an impact player. In my opinion we had the 2nd best draft behind Pittsburgh who drafted Crosby #1 and also picked up Letang.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Artful_Dodger*

The organization's entire first round draft history is a bit of a joke. A silver lining every time DW deals away a first rounder.

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
There is almost always going to be a grass is greener pick. I don't think you can judge drafting by using that kind of example or every team in the league sucks at drafting. Pick any team you want and it's easy to list many examples like this.

Personally, I look at the whole draft class and compare it to other teams. In 2005, the Sharks got Setoguchi and Vlasic with Stalock still looking like he could be an impact player. In my opinion we had the 2nd best draft behind Pittsburgh who drafted Crosby #1 and also picked up Letang.
Kings got Kopitar and Quick.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Lockout Season

Bernier cleared if anyone actually cares...

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Jesus Toews*

Sturm now on waivers. If it wasn't for the cap hit, I would want DW to be all over that. He still has speed and hands and the Sharks need a third-line scoring threat to play with Pavs and Heatley.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
GCB2000

I think the sharks issue is that they had a very bad run for about 4 years from 99-02 drafting in which those 4 drafts only produced 4 NHL players, no 1st liners (Murray, Clowe, Goc and Erhoff). Those years are the years where players would be nearing there prime right now. If you compare them to others leading the league they are all producing at least 1 top line player and the sharks have not.

Detriot - Zetterberg, Kronwall, Kopecky, Hudler, Flippula, Fleischmann
Philly - Pitkanen, Sharp, Siedenberg, Williams
Vancouver - Sedin, Sedin, Beiska, Umberger
Pitt- Malone, Orpik, Armstrong, Talbot, Whitney, Christensen

The following 4 drafts look more promising for the sharks
Michalek, Bernier, Pavs, Carle, Vlasic, Setoguchi, Mitchell

GCB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
GCB2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Sturm now on waivers. If it wasn't for the cap hit, I would want DW to be all over that. He still has speed and hands and the Sharks need a third-line scoring threat to play with Pavs and Heatley.
Actually Sturm is the perfect fit for those two given his responsible 2-way play. I know he is still fighting the injury bug but the risk is pretty low since he is not worse than Mitchell. Trade Mitchell and waive Wallin clears more than enough room

GCB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:47 PM
hockeyball

I'd love to have Sturm back, but I know he was pretty hurt when we traded him in the first place, and with his injury history and cap hit, I think it's pretty unlikely.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Herschel

Quote:
Why did a team that doesn't have cap worries put him on waivers? What are they making room for?

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Herschel

Quote:
Why did a team that doesn't have cap worries put him on waivers? What are they making room for?

Old
02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
wraith985

The Sharks still need to shed cap if Niittymaki is going to come back to the active roster at the end of his LTIR stint. Picking up another $3.5 million (prorated, of course) in cap is literally the last thing the Sharks should be considering right now.

wraith985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:53 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Maybe Brad Richards? I've heard that the Kings are very interested in him. (he's reportedly making progress and could be back soon)

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Maybe Brad Richards? I've heard that the Kings are very interested in him. (he's reportedly making progress and could be back soon)

If he gets traded within the divison I will be very upset.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Jesus Toews*

Maybe Parise? Tying $13mil in cap space into two LWs isn't the greatest strategy in the world for NJ.

Old
02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCB2000 View Post
I think the sharks issue is that they had a very bad run for about 4 years from 99-02 drafting in which those 4 drafts only produced 4 NHL players, no 1st liners (Murray, Clowe, Goc and Erhoff). Those years are the years where players would be nearing there prime right now. If you compare them to others leading the league they are all producing at least 1 top line player and the sharks have not.
Well, SOME of us would argue that one of those 4 players is in fact top line (well, pairing) player, at least based on the numbers that Easy said he used to measure it (I'm going to count 40 pts and 23-24 minutes as close enough). Of course, we don't really need to get into that whole argument again...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCB2000 View Post

Detriot - Zetterberg, Kronwall, Kopecky, Hudler, Flippula, Fleischmann
Philly - Pitkanen, Sharp, Siedenberg, Williams
Vancouver - Sedin, Sedin, Beiska, Umberger
Pitt- Malone, Orpik, Armstrong, Talbot, Whitney, Christensen

The following 4 drafts look more promising for the sharks
Michalek, Bernier, Pavs, Carle, Vlasic, Setoguchi, Mitchell
Well, to be fair, those teams generally drafted higher than the Sharks.

Another thing is, the Sharks drafted some talent that became the casualties of depth. Niko Dimitrakos, Plihal, Hyovenen could still find a home in the NHL, IMO. They also got quality in return for Jeff Jillson, so that isn't necessarily a wasted pick. Mike Morris also suffered some unfortunate injuries; he was a very sure bet to be a 2nd/3rd line tweener in this league...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:05 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Don't have the time atm to address other things in this thread but regarding the bold:

I think you go for the Best Value in the draft regardless of position, then in a toss up, go with need. This is especially true in baseball and hockey where there is a true minor league. I'd rather have 3 great left wingers, than 1 great LW, 1 mediocre D, 1 mediocre C. Assets are more easily moved/stashed in sports with minor leagues.
I think that looking at it realistically, teams feel that if you draft "three great LWs", they are going to compete with playing time, and some of those players aren't going to develop properly.

If Kopitar came to San Jose, there was a high probablity he would have become trade bait. That, or they would have tried to convert him to the wing position.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I think that looking at it realistically, teams feel that if you draft "three great LWs", they are going to compete with playing time, and some of those players aren't going to develop properly.

If Kopitar came to San Jose, there was a high probablity he would have become trade bait. That, or they would have tried to convert him to the wing position.
Not sure about that. More likely Pavelski might have become trade bait before he had a chance at the NHL level

Old
02-25-2011, 04:41 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

They are already converting centers to wings. One more won't hurt. It is probably best to look at them as forwards or if splitting distinctions, playmakers and snipers.

I don't know that if they got Kopitar that he would have been bait; someone could have converted to wing. IMO, it is still very possible that Couture finishes his career as a wing, possibly Pavelski as well.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Franchise13

Quote:

Realistically, 3 is not a terrible number of LW'rs. You have 10, sure. 5? Ok. Regardless, the example was just that, an example. Statement was made in regard to value at draft position vs. pure need. Having a log jam of talented players at a position is a decent problem to have. Good organizations find a way to refine and evaluate their players. As an example, Nashville doesn't seem to have a problem developing their DMen.

Speaking of which, I'd love to have the raw talents of Ryan Ellis on this organization. He's buried in Juniors too I believe? How many is that on their pipeline? Blum, Franson...?? Think we can swing for one with one ;P?

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote