[ATL-MTL] Sopel, Dawes for Maxwell, 4th

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Ashe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
IMO Maxwell could be (at best) a third line player and like someone said on the trade board the way he is playing in the NHL he will get killed one day.

This trade is good for both team
With the news of you guys needed a defencemen with Spacek out, You guys ***** us more then before.

Old
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
So we trade an NHL call-up, and one of the best shot blockers in the league this year, and PK guy, for..a 4th round pick..and a guy MTL is happy to have out of there system.

It is TRADE DEADLINE. People routinely over-pay for needs. Not under-cut. Especially with reports MTL lost Spacek for the year.
Exactly how much value do you think an UFA Brent Sopel has???? Dawes has less value then Maxwell IMO. Dawes has been virtually invisible this year. Rismiller makes a bigger impact.

Old
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I was hoping Oduya and Stapleton was being moved for A. Kosititsyn + pick.
At least we would get back some scoring help.

This trade does pretty much nothing. Maxwell is a longshot to make the team next year

Old
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I was hoping Oduya and Stapleton was being moved for A. Kosititsyn + pick.
At least we would get back some scoring help.
That could still happen.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Sabreality

thats a fine return.

getting a 4th for Sopel alone would be acceptable...his game has dropped off a ton.

Maxwell is worth a shot, he's a decent prospect in only his 3rd pro season...more Center depth is NEVER a bad thing.

good move.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Say what you want about his shotblocking and dedication, he was the worst defenseman on the team IMO. He just couldn't get to the puck, worst acceleration I've seen in awhile.

Mid-round pick and decent prospect is a fine return for a guy we weren't going to re-sign or play. Also, Dawes was so invisible in the games he played here that he isn't worth mentioning.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:21 PM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

I'm not pretending like I'm privvy to anything going on in the locker room, but let's look at both of the recent moves under a different lens. It was clear Valabik wasn't going to play here, and Dawes was only good for a single shootout goal. Rumors abound that Peverley was no longer a positive influence, and now people are openly questioning Sopel's heart being here. Clearly, Sopes wasn't going to re-sign, while it sounds like there's a decent chance of Stuart doing so. Perhaps they could've gotten more for Sopel had they waited, or perhaps the situation had finally come to a head. My guess is that it was beneficial to go ahead and move Sopel after last night, and to do so quickly. This is probably clearing out the negative elements, would be my guess.

Now, we still need a coach if we have any chance of coming back down the stretch. But this may not be purely a hockey move, and that's my gut feeling. It was just time to move Sopel, and it could no longer wait.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Sabreality

good post Royal...until the coach part.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

maxwell=sterling/haydar/krog/stapelton 2.0

still he could become something one day if we're lucky and it's always fine to get something for sopes while he's still ours. lol dawes.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Say what you want about his shotblocking and dedication, he was the worst defenseman on the team IMO. He just couldn't get to the puck, worst acceleration I've seen in awhile.

Mid-round pick and decent prospect is a fine return for a guy we weren't going to re-sign or play. Also, Dawes was so invisible in the games he played here that he isn't worth mentioning.
you really think he way worse than oduya?

Old
02-24-2011, 03:01 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Glad they are both gone. Our PK is worst in the league and Sopel was supposed to anchor the PK?? He skated like there was an anchor attached to him.

Good family man, God bless him. Lots of players are dads and don't have to spend more time in Chicago than their team's city.

We need committment that the young kids on the team can grow with.

At least Maxwell is tall enough so that he can ride the adult rides at Six Flags.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
First half he was fine. Second half his play has dropped and I put that down to fatigue and age.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

ajcthrashers #Thrashers GM Rick Dudley says Maxwell will likely play in NHL this year. Called him "top recall."

Time to say goodbye to Stapleton? Hope so :-). But if Dudley still wants to make the playoffs (and I'm sure he wants) why he puts him into NHL? I would rather make another trade to get some experiences. Not 22-year-old guy with few games in NHL.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersfanSVK View Post
ajcthrashers #Thrashers GM Rick Dudley says Maxwell will likely play in NHL this year. Called him "top recall."

Time to say goodbye to Stapleton? Hope so :-). But if Dudley still wants to make the playoffs (and I'm sure he wants) why he puts him into NHL? I would rather make another trade to get some experiences. Not 22-year-old guy with few games in NHL.
Highly doubt we're done trading. Someone over on the main boards made a solid argument that we could get a good return for Oduya still.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
I'm not pretending like I'm privvy to anything going on in the locker room, but let's look at both of the recent moves under a different lens. It was clear Valabik wasn't going to play here, and Dawes was only good for a single shootout goal. Rumors abound that Peverley was no longer a positive influence, and now people are openly questioning Sopel's heart being here. Clearly, Sopes wasn't going to re-sign, while it sounds like there's a decent chance of Stuart doing so. Perhaps they could've gotten more for Sopel had they waited, or perhaps the situation had finally come to a head. My guess is that it was beneficial to go ahead and move Sopel after last night, and to do so quickly. This is probably clearing out the negative elements, would be my guess.

Now, we still need a coach if we have any chance of coming back down the stretch. But this may not be purely a hockey move, and that's my gut feeling. It was just time to move Sopel, and it could no longer wait.
I'm 95% sure that Rich Peverley and Brent Sopel were very well liked and respected in the locker room as true team players, not sure where you're getting your information...

I'd put the Peverley trade on Dudley's size fetish and prior scouting, had to give something to get something unfortunately and he wanted Wheeler bad.

The Sopel trade is just a straight hockey trade- he wouldn't be back next season, we are more than likely going to miss the playoffs, he wasn't playing his best hockey, we have too many defensemen and the Habs offered a solid prospect and a midround pick.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:09 PM
TinordiandSubban

Ben Maxwell is a real slick playmaker, can make plays at top speed, very smooth skater.

He becomes Atlanta's top prospect at center with Burmistrov and Cormier graduating.

Why was Dawes so bad with the Thrash this year, he always produced well with Calgary and the Rangers?

Old
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Please get Maxwell in by tomorrow and sit one of the folowing scrubs: Stapleton, Rismiller, Thorburn, Mahacek, Boulton

Old
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I like maxwell and will miss him. He WILL make the NHL, that's just my instinct despite what others say.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Ben Maxwell is a real slick playmaker, can make plays at top speed, very smooth skater.

He becomes Atlanta's top prospect at center with Burmistrov and Cormier graduating.

Why was Dawes so bad with the Thrash this year, he always produced well with Calgary and the Rangers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I like maxwell and will miss him. He WILL make the NHL, that's just my instinct despite what others say.
I like hearing this.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I like hearing this.
pretty cool...with Center depth at a premium around the league, i like this addition in exchange for an aging, soon to be walking D-man...and a 4th is nothing to balk at considering Dawes did nothing and was a waiver wire pickup..fans calling this a bad deal need their heads examined.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:32 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
...considering Dawes did nothing and was a waiver wire pickup..
Dawes was signed as a FA by Dudley this fall.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Maxwell is garbage.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:56 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I like hearing this.
Decent size, good skating, nice skills, good IQ. Maxwell is just missing the desire to get his nose dirty. He's not a 'force'. Hopefully this trade sparks him because with the right mindset and a desire to do the little extra to win games, he'll be an NHLer without a doubt. That's just my opinion though. Other, more knowledgeable habs guys feel he won't make it. I just think he's too much of a prototypical new NHL player not to. The 6'0 frame, with good agility/speed and good playmaking. He just needs to be more aggressive to have a better impact.

Old
02-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Decent size, good skating, nice skills, good IQ. Maxwell is just missing the desire to get his nose dirty. He's not a 'force'. Hopefully this trade sparks him because with the right mindset and a desire to do the little extra to win games, he'll be an NHLer without a doubt. That's just my opinion though. Other, more knowledgeable habs guys feel he won't make it. I just think he's too much of a prototypical new NHL player not to. The 6'0 frame, with good agility/speed and good playmaking. He just needs to be more aggressive to have a better impact.
Yet..every canadian fan i talk to, is shocked they got something of use for him, even though the return is a rental. 0 pts in 20 games the past 2 years, doesn`t support your thoughts.

Old
02-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Yet..every canadian fan i talk to, is shocked they got something of use for him, even though the return is a rental. 0 pts in 20 games the past 2 years, doesn`t support your thoughts.
well, he wont be the first, nor the last 'rookie' to struggle early...Nathan Gerbe is a fine example of a player fans gave up on in Buffalo after 2 quiet seasons (20games total), and he's now carved out a nice little role in year 3.

Closed Thread