HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

List of Potential Center targets

Old
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
So, would Ennis be in play for some of these guys?

I'd (in general) take a young franchise center over a young franchise winger. So say you believe Ennis will reach his high ceiling, would you deal him for a young center signed long term or available to be signed long term?
Personally, I'd rather keep Ennis and try and move guys like Pominville, Stafford, and Vanek in an attempt to improve the center depth.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
So, would Ennis be in play for some of these guys?

I'd (in general) take a young franchise center over a young franchise winger. So say you believe Ennis will reach his high ceiling, would you deal him for a young center signed long term or available to be signed long term?
Yes if it was Stastny, Richards or Brassard

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaintro View Post

Tyler Kennedy RFA 59% Faceoff Percentage good for 14 goals and 20 assists
I'm a big Tyler Kennedy fan, he's impressed me. Not the stud we're looking for obviously, but he's a guy who value is only going to go up.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Rather than pay the big bucks for an offersheet, they could make a fair offer for him in trade and then negotiate in good faith. If Boyle then gets a massive offersheet from somewhere else, take the picks and move on to another trade target. Heck, they'd probably be "up" in the deal from a moveable-asset point of view.
I'd be comfortable going the "Hjalmarrson" route. San Jose put Chicago in a pickle... Chicago made a mistake matching (Ladd and Byfuglien were clearly much more valuable).

I don't mind putting NY in the same situation.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I dont understand the Stastny rumors... and the only reason I have him on the list is because of the Media rumors... it makes no sense to me... if he IS available... I'd put a filthy, too good to turn down, proposal on the table.

Stastny=Toews agree?
Man that's close. I still put Toews ahead of Paul though. Toews is in my top 3 of favorite players in the league. He is just such a complete player and was recognized as such to be named captain of the Hawks at such a young age.

I think Toews is the better goal scorer and leader , Stastny the better play maker and both are about the same size.

I would absolutely love it if the Sabres could ever land Stastny though

CelticSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
I'm no prognosticator, but I feel as though Brooks Laich should be a name we keep an eye on in July.
same. i've always had this feeling that he and pominville would be great on the same line for some reason

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
What do you think of Benn Ferriero in San Jose/Worcester ?
He's quick and doesn't stop skating. That I like. A bit small, but the "doesn't stop skating" part can make up for being a bit undersized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
I'm no prognosticator, but I feel as though Brooks Laich should be a name we keep an eye on in July.
Maybe. Though aren't the Caps playing him mostly at LW with Perreault or Johansson now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Personally, I'd rather keep Ennis and try and move guys like Pominville, Stafford, and Vanek in an attempt to improve the center depth.
Agreed. Out with more of the old core if they're making a big move.

Quote:
I'd be comfortable going the "Hjalmarrson" route. San Jose put Chicago in a pickle... Chicago made a mistake matching (Ladd and Byfuglien were clearly much more valuable).

I don't mind putting NY in the same situation.
From a competitive standpoint, I get where you're coming from. I just have my doubts about Regier going down that road. Callahan might be appealling with the local-boy and gritty parts of his game too.

02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

To Chain, yes Laich has been playing LW with Johansson and Semin since Semin came back from injury

Old
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I would absolutely love it if the Sabres could ever land Stastny though
As would we all. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if the Sabres were ever able to acquire a player like Stastny, it'd represent the exact kind of culture-changing, identity-forming blockbuster this franchise needs to shake itself out of the staleness the past 4-5 years have produced. It'd also make sense with the philosophical hierarchy Regier & Ruff both have in terms of position priorities. They've both always ranked goalie, defense, center and wing as the order of importance by position. They have Miller, Myers and Vanek to cover 3 of the 4 but no one presently, or in the pipeline, to be the foundation piece at center. Stastny would definitely be it.

Not to make player comparisons but in terms of impact and significance, such a deal would rival the transforming move the Sabres were bold - and aggressive - enough to make in 1991 by shipping out Turgeon (their former identity) for LaFontaine. Like LaFontaine at the time, Stastny is 26 and in the prime years of his career. Unlike LaFontaine, though, Stastny doesn't seem to have any controversial contract squabble brewing that would seemingly put him on the market.

And, just as happened with that 1991 trade, can you imagine the euphoria and excitement level in the city if the team pulled off that kind of blockbuster now? Pegula would more or less be given keys to the city.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'd rather move Pominville... sure... who wouldnt.
Stafford... I'd trade Stafford AND Ennis for Stastny...
Vanek for Stastny straight up? yea, I'd probably do that too... but really... I want a Vanek-Stastny line

Old
02-24-2011, 02:12 PM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Agreed, I'd rather have Stastny to be honest, but that's because I love Stastny and I'm not a fan of Toews, and because I think Toews is extremely overrated because of his "intangibles". Toews is better defensively but Stastny isn't a slouch and puts up 10-15 more points than Toews does normally.

His intagibles are legit. He's a natural born winner, and extremely clutch

-3rd youngest captain in league history
-Gold medal at World under 17's
-Gold medals at 06, 07 World Juniors
-Gold medal at 07 World Championship
-Gold medal at '10 Olympics
-Names best forward at the olympics
-Won Stanley Cup
-Conn Smythe throphy
-Youngest player to be in the Triple Gold Club

Old
02-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
To Chain, yes Laich has been playing LW with Johansson and Semin since Semin came back from injury
Even more reason then...

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:18 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

I view Weiss alot like I viewed Briere when he was with Phoenix. I knew he would break out in a different venue.

Alot of us may not be Florida Weiss fans but I think if he was a Buffalo Weiss the potential for what he could accomplish could be very high.

Put a hockey player in a hockey hotbed and watch what happens.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
As would we all. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if the Sabres were ever able to acquire a player like Stastny, it'd represent the exact kind of culture-changing, identity-forming blockbuster this franchise needs to shake itself out of the staleness the past 4-5 years have produced. It'd also make sense with the philosophical hierarchy Regier & Ruff both have in terms of position priorities. They've both always ranked goalie, defense, center and wing as the order of importance by position. They have Miller, Myers and Vanek to cover 3 of the 4 but no one presently, or in the pipeline, to be the foundation piece at center. Stastny would definitely be it.

Not to make player comparisons but in terms of impact and significance, such a deal would rival the transforming move the Sabres were bold - and aggressive - enough to make in 1991 by shipping out Turgeon (their former identity) for LaFontaine. Like LaFontaine at the time, Stastny is 26 and in the prime years of his career. Unlike LaFontaine, though, Stastny doesn't seem to have any controversial contract squabble brewing that would seemingly put him on the market.

And, just as happened with that 1991 trade, can you imagine the euphoria and excitement level in the city if the team pulled off that kind of blockbuster now? Pegula would more or less be given keys to the city.
I can't believe Brown hasn't given him one yet, considering how fast he gave one to T.O.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:23 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
His intagibles are legit. He's a natural born winner, and extremely clutch

-3rd youngest captain in league history
-Gold medal at World under 17's
-Gold medals at 06, 07 World Juniors
-Gold medal at 07 World Championship
-Gold medal at '10 Olympics
-Names best forward at the olympics
-Won Stanley Cup
-Conn Smythe throphy
-Youngest player to be in the Triple Gold Club
I'm not denying that, I just don't put much value into intangibles because if a player is that good, he should be producing at all times anyways. But a debate on intangibles isn't for this thread, it's for another time. You're biased because Toews is one of your favorites, I'm biased because I don't like him and I'm a big Stastny fan, so I'll agree to disagree

Old
02-24-2011, 02:28 PM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

Quote:
I'm not denying that, I just don't put much value into intangibles because if a player is that good, he should be producing at all times anyways. But a debate on intangibles isn't for this thread, it's for another time. You're biased because Toews is one of your favorites, I'm biased because I don't like him and I'm a big Stastny fan, so I'll agree to disagree
Im not in disagreement about how good Stastny is. I think he is an amazing player. I am just so impressed at Toews resume at such a young age and is finally equaling his points to the rest of his game as evidence to his 55 pts in 58 games this year.

I just could not imagine Lacroix ever trading Stastny. I was surprised that he traded Stewart. I would also be surprised if he did not get fired right after dealing Paul. Unless it is a disgusting overpayment

Old
02-24-2011, 02:31 PM
UpstateNYSweetLiving

Quote:
I'd rather move Pominville... sure... who wouldnt.
Stafford... I'd trade Stafford AND Ennis for Stastny...
Vanek for Stastny straight up? yea, I'd probably do that too... but really... I want a Vanek-Stastny line
I dont think Stastny is untouchable. According to the Colorado media he wasnt at practice today and his dad did just publically lambast avalanche management. Even if he was in play, Im sure we wouldnt be the team to get him (I hope changes in our style is coming but I am in the I will believe it when I see it camp)

Stastny is a great player but at 6.6M a year, I would be hesitant to give up to much young talent unless we were also able to dump some salary.

UpstateNYSweetLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Im not in disagreement about how good Stastny is. I think he is an amazing player. I am just so impressed at Toews resume at such a young age and is finally equaling his points to the rest of his game as evidence to his 55 pts in 58 games this year.

I just could not imagine Lacroix ever trading Stastny. I was surprised that he traded Stewart. I would also be surprised if he did not get fired right after dealing Paul. Unless it is a disgusting overpayment
Fair enough, makes sense. It would be a terrible move to deal a player of Paul's caliber, I think the rumors are just rumors so we'll have to wait and see. Although his dad did rip their trade, Stastny did room with EJ during the Olympics so I doubt Paul has any major qualms about the move (although as an fan of the Avs as my second favorite team, I think they lost on that trade)

Old
02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNYSweetLiving View Post
I dont think Stastny is untouchable. According to the Colorado media he wasnt at practice today and his dad did just publically lambast avalanche management. Even if he was in play, Im sure we wouldnt be the team to get him (I hope changes in our style is coming but I am in the I will believe it when I see it camp)

Stastny is a great player but at 6.6M a year, I would be hesitant to give up to much young talent unless we were also able to dump some salary.
Reminds me of back in the day when Lindros' father started publicly attacking Clarke. It wasn't necessarily the beginning of the end for Lindors in Philly, those cracks were already appearing, but it sure seemed to expedite his departure.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Pengo

I would love to have Jordan Staal on this team. He already has the "A" for Pittsburgh and was a Selke finalist last season.

You might say that his stats aren't very good... BUT if you ignore his first five games this season (which is fair because he was probably rusty after missing half the season) he has 15 points in 18 games. Over 82 games that equates to 68 points. And most of those games were with mediocre wingers.

A trade this season definitely wouldn't happen, but it might be possible in the offseason or sometime next season. I wonder if Pittsburgh would be interested in trading Staal for Drew Stafford...

And yeah, Toews >>> Stastny IMO. Toews is basically the 1995-2000 version of Steve Yzerman.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
I would love to have Jordan Staal on this team. He already has the "A" for Pittsburgh and was a Selke finalist last season.

You might say that his stats aren't very good... BUT if you ignore his first five games this season (which is fair because he was probably rusty after missing half the season) he has 15 points in 18 games. Over 82 games that equates to 68 points. And most of those games were with mediocre wingers.

A trade this season definitely wouldn't happen, but it might be possible in the offseason or sometime next season. I wonder if Pittsburgh would be interested in trading Staal for Drew Stafford...

And yeah, Toews >>> Stastny IMO. Toews is basically the 1995-2000 version of Steve Yzerman.
Jesus talk about overrating Toews

Old
02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

With the two former Pens execs running the Sabres now, I can't wait for the [fill in a Pens player here] to Buffalo rumors!

With Malkin on the shelf, I was guessing that would be a name that would be thrown around.

Connolly & 2 1sts for Malkin!

Quote:
Pretty much.

Stastny is good. But, Toews is on another level, IMO.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

just no

Old
02-24-2011, 03:51 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Chris Drury
joke?

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
just no
Yeah pretty much, he's not even close to Yzerman's level. And I can see how you feel Kassian that Toews > Stastny, but to say Toews >>> Stastny is ludicrous.