HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Macarthur more valuable then Versteeg?

Old
02-25-2011, 12:21 AM
WreckItRask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I disagree. Versteeg isn't worth more because of a cup win. Macarthur is producing more than Versteeg ever has.

Macarthur being traded for a third and fourth means as much as Boston giving Versteeg away for virtually nothing to Chicago.
He was traded for by the GM that watched him win that cup. GM's have proven time and time again that they do covet guys that know how to win, and there is absolutely no doubt that Versteeg's pedigree as a winner played into his trade value. McArthur simply doesn't have that resume...he's just been more productive this year.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:22 AM
WTFMAN99

I'm a leaf fan and i'd be surprised if Mac pulled more than Versteeg, or even the same.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Stats01

I wouldn't be surprised if MacArthur was worth more in a trade. He's a bit older but it shows he's not a third line player, Versteeg at times just didn't show enough to really warrant top 6 min. He's a talented guy but..just something about him doesn't seem to fit. Is it a coincidence he's now on his 4th team already and he's only 24.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Kc232
Hi

Mac does the same thing every year, starts out extremely strong, then really dips off as the year goes on. he has 6pts in his last 15 games.

Kc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:28 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc232 View Post
Mac does the same thing every year, starts out extremely strong, then really dips off as the year goes on. he has 6pts in his last 15 games.
He doesn't do the same thing every year. The guy already passed his career high long ago.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Given his tiny salary+ his production+ the fact he's 25 leads me to think he's worth more than that.
His tiny salary will likely be shifting and this is his first year of good production after having literally bouncing around (read "off") two other teams in the last year. That will suppress his value compared to his current production for many out there. Risk aversion will likely keep the offers from being more than the Versteeg return and less than that isn't really worth it for the Leafs to deal him if they think he can keep it up.

02-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Given his tiny salary+ his production+ the fact he's 25 leads me to think he's worth more than that.
No, not really.

For a guy that hasn't broken 20 goals? No thanks.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:31 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
No, not really.

For a guy that hasn't broken 20 goals? No thanks.
And Beachemin is worthless. Versteeg is worth a third rounder and Kaberle is worth at most a second rounder.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
And Beachemin is worthless. Versteeg is worth a third rounder and Kaberle is worth at most a second rounder.
oh man I totally forgot I said that please point out where I said that oh wait

Old
02-25-2011, 12:35 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
oh man I totally forgot I said that please point out where I said that oh wait
Do you know how many people have been proven wrong with the last 3 Leaf trades? And now people are saying Macarthur isn't worth much despite being the Leafs top scorer?

Old
02-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Kc232
Hi

Quote:
He doesn't do the same thing every year. The guy already passed his career high long ago.
I didn't say anything about his career high, just about his streaky-ness.

And I think I saw a thread about CMac being worth a 1st and 2nd round pick? Dream on. The guy probably won't even crack 25 goals this year, has never broke 20 in his career, and all of a sudden he's worth a 1st and 2nd?

Old
02-25-2011, 12:38 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

And I think I saw a thread about TMac being worth a 1st and 2nd round pick? Dream on. The guy probably won't even crack 25 goals this year, has never broke 20 in his career, and all of a sudden he's worth a 1st and 2nd?
Uh, no he is worth a first and a second. There's no dreaming. The Leafs just got a first and 3rd for Versteeg.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Do you know how many people have been proven wrong with the last 3 Leaf trades? And now people are saying Macarthur isn't worth much despite being the Leafs top scorer?
Being the leafs leading scorer is like saying you won the high jump against a pack of midgets. They're not exactly strong up front yet.

Hes worth something decent, but a second and a B prospect? Maybe to a team who is really desperate.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Kc232
Hi

I just can't see it happening. But it's only my opinion.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Being the leafs leading scorer is like saying you won the high jump against a pack of midgets. They're not exactly strong up front yet.

Hes worth something decent, but a second and a B prospect? Maybe to a team who is really desperate.
Leaf players are so underrated here. It's going to be the same song and dance here as it was with the Last 3 Leaf trades.

Why the heck would a team need to be "Desperate" to add a 25 year-old player on a 60+ point pace making only 1.1 million and who is NOT an upcoming UFA?

Old
02-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
No one has said he's "not worth much". Less than Versteeg.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I got where you were coming from -- the 6 goals in the first 13 games of '08-'09, then the 4 in the first 6 games last year, the 6 in his first 7 games this year. He starts quick and scores in bunches. It's the in-between that used to be a problem for him and it looks like he's cut that down a lot having meshed with Grabovski and Kulemin.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Kc232
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I got where you were coming from -- the 6 goals in the first 13 games of '08-'09, then the 4 in the first 6 games last year, the 6 in his first 7 games this year. He starts quick and scores in bunches. It's the in-between that used to be a problem for him and it looks like he's cut that down a lot having meshed with Grabovski and Kulemin.
exactly. and of course he's going to be getting more points with the minutes he's playing in toronto that he never got in buffalo, especially on the PP. But of course, he's definitely surpassed my expectations so far.

But to everyone who thinks he's worth such high picks... he's not going to get them.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:11 AM
mcinnesja

Quote:
He's 47th in pts in the nhl with 17:14 TOI /G. he is doing very well Heck that hole line is, 72nd-60th-47th in points, and they seem to be responsible defensivly.
Not saying they are great or anything but have to give props when its do IMO
Would much rather Burke keep that line intact for next season.

mcinnesja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Sabretip

I had to laugh when I read the first sentence of Dregehr's report:

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs forward Clarke MacArthur remains a popular target for preying NHL general managers.
Any GM that trades for the overachieving season MacArthur is having will be praying for sure thereafter once he falls back to his usual patterns.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:37 AM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I had to laugh when I read the first sentence of Dregehr's report:

Any GM that trades for the overachieving season MacArthur is having will be praying for sure thereafter once he falls back to his usual patterns.
sabres fan judging by username? anyways whatever.

regardless of his past, he's having a breakout season, has been given enough time on top 6 and is projected to pot in and around 60ish points this season. If no one is willing to atleast give up a little more than what versteeg got (who i think is not nearly as good as macarthur) then he can stay on the leafs. He's young, sets up beautiful plays, can fight (no one even knew he could drop guys so easily) and likes to go into corners and hit. Maybe his free agency this past off season made him wake up and realize he had to step his game up a notch if he wanted another chance on an NHL team. Ask any leaf fans last offseason and almost all would say it was a questionable signing, ask them how they feel about him now and it will be a completely different story. He has finally found a good groove in toronto, why move him when he's playing for us and contributing for basically nothing?

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:54 AM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
No one has said he's "not worth much". Less than Versteeg.
If I was Burke I'd keep him if he was getting less for a BETTER player (at least this season has proved it). We're not giving away a cheap player who is expected to pot around 60 points for a second or whatever other crummy offers there are on here for him. Burke knows what he's doing and Looking at all his previous 3 trades these past few weeks, its going to be go BIG or go HOME for any team that is requesting Mac's services during the playoffs.

Old
02-25-2011, 05:05 AM
stavs

Quote:

And I think I saw a thread about CMac being worth a 1st and 2nd round pick? Dream on. The guy probably won't even crack 25 goals this year, has never broke 20 in his career, and all of a sudden he's worth a 1st and 2nd?
18 goals with 21 games left in season, book it he breaks the 20g barrier, hopefully close to 25 by season end, but I'm thinking 22 or 23 is reasonable and surely attainable since he also plays on our most productive line.

Old
02-25-2011, 05:15 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy1993 View Post
I would rather keep a young, relatively established player, over picks

Picks are ridiculously over rated.

Hopefully the 1st and/or 2nd would be as good as Mac, but doubtful.

Plus he has great chemistry with his line/team.
Normal on HFBoards, mostly everyone here are interested in future players

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
grabo84

Macarthur is definitely worth more to Toronto than Versteeg. Which really, when we get right down to it, is all that matters. He's an RFA, so even if contract talks don't go well, they have him next year.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote