HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Proposal Thread #6/ Rumor Thread(Both Oiler and Non-Oiler)

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
I'm still not enamoured with any of these deals.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:22 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm still not enamoured with any of these deals.
What is it your looking for.

I would love Schenn plus Clifford... Or Schenn plus a high pick.

But the reallity on trading for prospects now is that we will likely just get Schenn.. and apparently we will be very lucky to even get that

Old
02-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post
What is it your looking for.

I would love Schenn plus Clifford... Or Schenn plus a high pick.

But the reallity on trading for prospects now is that we will likely just get Schenn.. and apparently we will be very lucky to even get that
I'm not looking for anything. I'd prefer that the Oilers stand pat and let the other teams around them blow themselves up.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:32 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
I'm not looking for anything. I'd prefer that the Oilers stand pat and let the other teams around them blow themselves up.
When other teams blow up.. others generally get better. Not sure how this benifits the oilers.

Keeping Hemsky or Penner is fine... but their value likely goes down from here on out.. so you better hope they wanna resign.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
When other teams blow up.. others generally get better. Not sure how this benifits the oilers.

Keeping Hemsky or Penner is fine... but their value likely goes down from here on out.. so you better hope they wanna resign.
I'm sure they do want to re-sign. For a nice, fat $5-$6 million per over 5 or 6 years.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

Why would their value go down barring injuries? One is 27 and the other is 28. I say hold tight until next deadline. If the Oilers are still floundering at the bottom of the proverbial NHL sea by this time next year then it's time to explore the possibilities of a Hemskyless Oilers.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Why would their value go down barring injuries? One is 27 and the other is 28. I say hold tight until next deadline. If the Oilers are still floundering at the bottom of the proverbial NHL sea by this time next year then it's time to explore the possibilities of a Hemskyless Oilers.
If Hemsky hurts himself again between now and then (likely) good luck getting even a 1st for him next year.

Keeping both likely adds an extra year to the tank because we probably can only address one of our needs through the draft this year -- center or defence. Not both.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Rafters

Quote:

Keeping Hemsky or Penner... but there value likely goes down from here on out.. so you better hope they wanna resign.
really....if Hemsky plays a full season next yr up to the deadline scoring around .9 a game, his value will be higher next yr. if penner is on pace next yr for another 25-30 goal season at the deadline his value will be higher..Ther main reason for Hemskys low value is the perception he is injury prone, as for Penner he is apparently lazy and not consistant....then again if both player do that next yr we may be buyers:sarcasm

unless u get what you want for penner and hemsky then you have to keep them. Having Penner and Hemsky on the team next yr gives us a better shot at the playoffs....it is not like we need to clear cap space or anything... Penner-horc-Hemsky line would take a lot of pressure off the kids and may also be our best checking line to go head to head against the other teams top players

I for one have no problem keeping both if Tambo does not get the players he is looking for in return. why trade your 27-28 top line players for pennies on the dollar, if all goes well in the next 2-3 yrs penner and Hemsky would be a hell of a 2nd line

If both players trade value goes down next yr then so will there contract demands....

Old
02-25-2011, 12:41 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Quote:
I'd rather keep Hemsky than Penner

so if there's a deal in place for Penner...do it

our left wing is set on the top 2 lines with Hall and MPS

only trade Hemmer if a Schenn or Bogosian players is up for grabs...I'd trade Penner to ATL for a 1st rounder + roster player

Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
oilers4cup
Finally

vCash: 163
I say the Oilers need to get

Schenn/ Forbort/Simmonds
Clifford
1st rd pick

From LA For Hemsky

Old
02-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If Hemsky hurts himself again between now and then (likely) good luck getting even a 1st for him next year.
By that rationale then the Oilers should be looking to move Ryan Whitney asap. What good is he to the Oilers with his injury history?

The Oilers' RW depth is just as bad as it's centre depth and I don't see the benefits of moving an experienced 27 year old player that's flirted with a PPG. For Brayden Schenn... maybe. Maybe.

I don't have nearly as many reservations about moving Penner because he probably wants to play near a beach anyway.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I'd rather keep Hemsky than Penner

so if there's a deal in place for Penner...do it

our left wing is set on the top 2 lines with Hall and MPS

only trade Hemmer if a Schenn or Bogosian players is up for grabs...I'd trade Penner to ATL for a 1st rounder + roster player
This is where my headspace is at as well.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

I would only want Schenn back for Hemsky nothing else, Schenn Imo is cant miss he like Eberle played in the Ahl and averaged a ppg, Lit it up at wjc went back to junior has over 40 points in 18 games. If we do land him draft Larsson and we are on are way up fast . I f we dont get Schenn keep Hemmer this team shows when the go at it they can win Hall And Eberle And Paajarvi are only going to get better. Dubnyk looks like he is a future number 1. Tambo stick to you're guns Schenn for Hemmer or we resign him next year and away we go.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:48 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
This is where my headspace is at as well.

Agreed as well, I would only say that I think Penner can get quite a bit and wouldn't want to let him go for any sort of disappointing roster player because the 1st we're getting is likely to be practically a 2nd round pick.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:59 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Havent you been complaining after every loss that management is doing nothing to improve the team, and that they should be making moves to fill glaring needs?

Old
02-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Havent you been complaining after every loss that management is doing nothing to improve the team, and that they should be making moves to fill glaring needs?
Trading the team's best player (yes, he's still the team's best player) doesn't improve the team.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:11 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Trading the team's best player (yes, he's still the team's best player) doesn't improve the team.
Not right away, no, but down the line it does, especally if he has expressed he would rather move on when his contract ends. If we are left holding the bag, ala Smyth or Souray, well, I dont think I need to point out that should be avoided at all costs.

Do you expect us to trade Brule and Cogliano for Schenn? Youve got to give to get. Other teams arent stupid and they arent going to recycle our problems for blue chip prospects.

There may be no movement at all. I think Tambellini's preference is to sign Hemsky, but that will depend on what Hemsky wants. He isnt going to move him for a substandard package this deadline. He is looking for the home run deal. Which is what he should be doing right now.

If the Kings keep winning, they will just keep Schenn.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:12 AM
Soundwave

Penner
Cogliano

for

Simmonds
Teubert or Voynov
LAK 1st

Lets just get this over with and move on.

Draft a center, it's fairly obvious it's practically impossible to get one via trade and there are three centers in the top 5 that I see being better than Schenn anyway.

If we draft a d-man with LA's 1st and our 2nd, that's three good d-men (including Teubert or Voynov) coming into our system ... on top of what we already got, we should be able to mold a solid defense from that.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:16 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Penner
Cogliano

for

Simmonds
Teubert or Voynov
LAK 1st

Draft a center, it's fairly obvious it's practically impossible to get one via trade and there are three centers in the top 5 that I see being better than Schenn anyway.

If we draft a d-man with LA's 1st and our 2nd, that's three good d-men (including Teubert or Voynov) coming into our system ... on top of what we already got, we should be able to mold a solid defense from that.
Passing on Larsson would be foolish.

If he is there, we have to take him.

If we dont, it will bite us on the ass. Hard.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Why do people even think Toronto is going to trade Luke Schenn...? Come on, they just gave the kid an A and their next best D-man is Mike Komisarek. This isn't NHL HITZ 2003, trades go both ways now.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Passing on Larsson would be foolish.

If he is there, we have to take him.

If we dont, it will bite us on the ass. Hard.
Or he could be on the trade/open market within 5 years.

Like about 80% of defencemen drafted in the top 10 the last decade.

It's not like Pitkanen, Phaneuf, E. Johnson, Whitney, Barker, J. Johnson, Bouweemester, etc. did not come into the league with a ton of hype around them.

Last edited by Soundwave: 02-25-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old
02-25-2011, 01:24 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
1. Selling market is through the roof right now

2. Playoff rentals as not worth nearly what a player with an extra year on his contract is when it comes to good contracts.

At next years deadline, Tambo looses his position of strength.. cause teams will know we likely have to move them if we havent signed them by then. Right now, Tambo can wait right till the deadline for the best offer. If the offer still sucks, then fine, keep him and hope they get better or you can sign him.

But if Schenn is on the table... i dont know how you dont pull the trigger... we need Center depth in the future more than we need RW depth now.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:26 AM
speeds

Quote:
Penner
Cogliano

for

Simmonds
Teubert or Voynov
LAK 1st

Do you see Teubert and Voynov as equivalent prospects? Personally, were I the Oilers, I'd prefer Voynov given the choice - there seems to be better upside there from what I've read.

Granted, Voynov's been in the AHL for a while now, while Teubert is coming off injury and making his pro debut.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Do you see Teubert and Voynov as equivalent prospects? Personally, were I the Oilers, I'd prefer Voynov given the choice - there seems to be better upside there from what I've read.

Granted, Voynov's been in the AHL for a while now, while Teubert is coming off injury and making his pro debut.
It depends as well if Nashville pulls the trigger on that Blum for Smid move because in that case, Teubert might be a better fit for us.

We could theoretically add

D - Blum (for Smid)
D- Musil (LA 1st)
D- Teubert or Voynov (via LA)
D- Olesiask (EDM 2nd ... 6'7 240 IIbs and can skate apparently, yikes)

That's four defensemen we could add to our stable from deadline to draft rather than just banking on Larsson to be a messiah.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:30 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Or he could be on the trade market within 5 years.

Like about 75% of defencemen drafted in the top 10 the last decade.

It's not like Pitkanen, Phaneuf, E. Johnson, Whitney, Barker, J. Johnson, Bouweemester, etc. did not come into the league with a ton of hype around them.
He is special. Better than all those guys. Really.

Im fairly confident he will be a franchise dman. For years and years.

To me he is the bpa. Others will disagree. Couturier is very attractive. So is RNH. The line ends there for me, although Landeskog is nothing to sneeze at, with two centers and dman, we have to take one of those three.

I get what you are saying, and it isnt without merit. All this talk about next years draft is dman heavy and light on centers and you can trade for a dman etc etc, I dont put much weight into that.

I look at the players at hand. There are three really good fits for our team. In the end, we arent likely to trade for or sign a Larsson or Couturier anyway. It just very rarely happens that those players are ever available, and if they are, there are ntc's and nmc's involved or 29 other teams bidding or salary cap issues, or a lack of good prospects to send the other way, too many variables.

Its tough, but looking at just the last game, you could put a broom handle between Hall and Eberle and they will still dictate play and be a force. Simply put there are too many holes in the dyke and we dont have enough fingers.

Some of our current prospects could rise up and fill either position as well. Marincin, Pitlick, Lander, Martindale, Petry etc...

Fact is, we are going to have to get another high pick next year too.

Closed Thread