HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pegula Interview With Editorial Board

Old
02-24-2011, 08:39 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Do you really think players read the newspaper?
Soooo, you don't have a link then? Because I'm looking for a link that says that Darcy Regier "doesn't answer phone calls."

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:40 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I said it in the other thread on Regier, we never really knew how much freedom he had and how much constraint ownership put on him, and it looks more and more like ownership was in control, not Regier.
I've been saying that as well, but you still gotta make/receive phone calls...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
Soooo, you don't have a link then? Because I'm looking for a link that says that Darcy Regier "doesn't answer phone calls."
Do you really think I have a link memorized? Please be serious....

Old
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
He has a point, though. It doesn't make the team any better. The players are human; they do have emotions. We can tell them boo hoo all we want, but if it is hindering their performance, then who's really losing out? I'd say the fans...

We should be critical, but the media *****es so much about every little thing that it has to be annoying as a player, especially not being able to say anything in response.

Nobody should be making excuses for these millionaires (especially paying fans.) The news calls a spade a spade. Again, pick up a Toronto, Montreal, Philly, NY or Boston paper at your local Wegmans if you think TBN is too critical. Stop trying to coddle these players.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:41 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
- Pegula said "We literally never lost an employee in 27 years" referring to his company.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Do you really think I have a link memorized? Please be serious....
Go find it or shut up about it then. "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Quit your yappin' about this phone call or produce a link from a credible source.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

I've been very excited about Pegula, and I know it's early, but one thing I've seen in his interviews...

He loves to make excuses.

It's the media's fault. Vanek got hurt last year. Miller got hurt by Gomez. I hope that if things go in the toilet, he'll have the gumption to kick some ass. A family atmosphere's great. But sometimes bad people need to be mashed.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:44 PM
rabi

Really??!?!?!??...

"Our goal is not to make the playoffs this year. Our goal is to win the Stanley Cup in 3 years."

<sarcasm>We've got a great owner here...</sarcasm>

The goal every year should be to make the playoffs...

When talking about UFA's, why does it sound to me like he wants to resign Connolly, Grier, and Niedermeyer?

Old
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I've been very excited about Pegula, and I know it's early, but one thing I've seen in his interviews...

He loves to make excuses.

It's the media's fault. Vanek got hurt last year. Miller got hurt by Gomez. I hope that if things go in the toilet, he'll have the gumption to kick some ass. A family atmosphere's great. But sometimes bad people need to be mashed.
This is a good point. The thing about never firing anyone from his company makes me nervous. Keep Regier, fine. But if your goal is really a cup in 3 years, and he's not getting it done, you gotta make a move.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I said it in the other thread on Regier, we never really knew how much freedom he had and how much constraint ownership put on him, and it looks more and more like ownership was in control, not Regier.
It does certainly seem like a bunch of us were correct in thinking that Regier was merely a figurehead GM and Quinn/BTG pulled the real strings with the team............

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:46 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Really??!?!?!??...

"Our goal is not to make the playoffs this year. Our goal is to win the Stanley Cup in 3 years."

When talking about UFA's, why does it sound to me like he wants to resign Connolly, Grier, and Niedermeyer?
Um...you really have an issue with that statement? You really think the team is going anywhere if they make the playoffs this year? If there's any trades to be made that make us weaker this year but stronger in 2 or 3 years I say yes, please, make them, absolutely!

Old
02-24-2011, 08:47 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Really??!?!?!??...

Funny you said this. When he mentioned his daughter and was basically sticking up for the players and blaming the media, the first thing I thought was, oh no, he's falling in love with his players. The same rap that Regier gets.

Old
02-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

I love the part where (I think it's Harrington) says:

Go to Montreal, and there are ten Jerry Sullivan's.

It's funny because it's true (these guys have it pretty easy here in the media), and he's sort of acknowledging that Sullivan's a dick.

Old
02-24-2011, 08:50 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
Go find it or shut up about it then. "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Quit your yappin' about this phone call or produce a link from a credible source.
It's on TSN.ca somewhere, google it...

And Bucky can tell you as well...

Old
02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
Nobody should be making excuses for these millionaires. The news calls a spade a spade. Again, pick up a Toronto, Montreal, Philly, NY or Boston paper at your local Wegmans if you think TBN is too critical. Stop trying to coddle these players.
Oh so because they have more money than you they can't get mad?
Cry me a river, buddy. These players make more money for their team than you'll make in your lifetime.
The news calls a spade a spade? AHahaha...Do you know a thing about journalism.
They try to twist words, facts, and feelings to stir **** up so they can get readers. You don't think the news is biased? I'm sorry for you, then.

Do you want to be anything like Toronto or Montreal? How many players are happy to play there when they're in a slump?

Why would you want to be a negative factor for the team you're supporting? If it helps the team win, then why would you be against it?

Besides this 3 game losing streak, they've been playing great hockey recently. They've been a good team since late November. They went from a 3% chance of making the playoffs to a 50% chance of making the play offs in 3 months. Since January they've had one of the best winning records in the entire NHL. Why should we be negative right now? The team has been performing! Or is it just the media searches for things to be negative about? hmmmmm....

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
MayDay

Quote:
He has a point, though. It doesn't make the team any better.
It's not the media's job to make the team better. It's the media's job to report on how the team is playing, whether that's good or bad. The Sabres have enough fans in the stands, they don't need a cheering section in the press box too.

Besides, if players aren't mentally strong enough to withstand a little public criticism in the media, they certainly aren't mentally strong enough to win a Stanley Cup.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
aceface33

The thing with Pegula is I think he's going to let the hockey guys, Black and Sawyer, handle the running of the team. On Sabres.com it says that Black interviewed and recruited Shero for the GM job in Pittsburgh. Shero seems like a pretty good GM to me so I trust Mr. Black to make that call. I think Pegula is going to supply the money and instill and winning and family atmosphere but that's it. He said in a few of the interviews that he was appearing as the figurehead and the savior this week but after that he wants to stay more in the background. When they asked him about player moves he kind of laughed at himself and said "Look at me, Terry the GM." When they asked him about the first game he said that "Terry the fan" loved it. He seemed to be humble enough and I hope he realizes his limitations and doesn't try to do to much when it comes to the hockey decisions on the team. Again, it seems like these Pittsburgh guys know what they are doing so I hope he leaves it to them.

Old
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

I hope, hope, hope he doesn't love everyone on a personal level too much. Otherwise, Regier will be here for 40 years and Stafford will get the league maximum salary for 20 years. I suspect some of that will fade with time. But right now, I get the sense Terry thinks every part of his new toy (even the broken wheel *cough Connolly*) is awesome.

Old
02-24-2011, 08:55 PM
BeastMode2326

I don't think we should put much stake into how Pegula criticizes the Buffalo News and vice versa. Obviously he isn't going to like TBN criticizing his team and his players. At the end of the interview he said he is still going to return their phone calls and answer their questions, to which I think Sullivan said "That'd be a big improvement over the last guy."

The News has every right to cover the team the way they do. However they should be surprised to be criticized when they employ a few columnists that can be total dicks.

BeastMode2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode2326 View Post
The News has every right to cover the team the way they do. However they should be surprised to be criticized when they employ a few columnists that can be total dicks.
This, a million times this. Being critical is one thing, being a total hack is another. Like that column a few weeks back where Gleason blasted Regier for signing an extension and lauded Ruff for not taking one. When the reality was for logistical reasons and the sale the team and Ruff never had discussions and Ruff has said since that he wants to continue coaching here. It's crap like that and bs assumptions that has me hating TBN.

Old
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Oh so because they have more money than you they can't get mad?
Cry me a river, buddy. These players make more money for their team than you'll make in your lifetime.
The news calls a spade a spade? AHahaha...Do you know a thing about journalism.
They try to twist words, facts, and feelings to stir **** up so they can get readers. You don't think the news is biased? I'm sorry for you, then.

Do you want to be anything like Toronto or Montreal? How many players are happy to play there when they're in a slump?

Why would you want to be a negative factor for the team you're supporting? If it helps the team win, then why would you be against it?

Besides this 3 game losing streak, they've been playing great hockey recently. They've been a good team since late November. They went from a 3% chance of making the playoffs to a 50% chance of making the play offs in 3 months. Since January they've had one of the best winning records in the entire NHL. Why should we be negative right now? The team has been performing! Or is it just the media searches for things to be negative about? hmmmmm....
If the players make more money in a year than I make in a lifetime, why should we not hold them more accountable?

The editorials may be more opinionated then the actually recaps, that's what editorials are.

Yes I would like a first class paper like the Toronto Star or Gazette.

I want the team and management held accountable on all levels. Do fans who pay to take their families not deserve this?

And to answer your question if I know a thing about journalism. I am college educated. I took a few courses in journalism. I know "if it bleed it leads" and I also know when someone is being a pompous jackass.

Old
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
It's not the media's job to make the team better. It's the media's job to report on how the team is playing, whether that's good or bad. The Sabres have enough fans in the stands, they don't need a cheering section in the press box too.

Besides, if players aren't mentally strong enough to withstand a little public criticism in the media, they certainly aren't mentally strong enough to win a Stanley Cup.
The media doesn't report the facts...that's what I'm trying to get through to people. They give the most extreme opinion because it gets viewers and readers.

You want facts...here's facts:
The team has, up until this losing streak and win, the 4th highest winning percentage since January.
The offense is ranked 13th in goals per game. I think they were bottom 3 or 4 going into november.
Check the teams chances of making the playoffs in early december, and check them now.

Those are the facts...Do you hear that in the media? Or is it still wahhh wahhh wahhh...They cry more than the players do.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

I just want to say, the more I hear from Ted Black, the more and more I like this guy. Terry's a kid with a new toy willing to invest money in it. Great. But he's still relatively new to all this and has A LOT to learn. He's a fanboy at this point with a billion bucks. But Ted Black's a smart, well spoken guy who knows how hockey teams operate. I love how he jumps in on the MSG question in the editorial board meeting.

Old
02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I just want to say, the more I hear from Ted Black, the more and more I like this guy. Terry's a kid with a new toy willing to invest money in it. Great. But he's still relatively new to all this and has A LOT to learn. He's a fanboy at this point with a billion bucks. But Ted Black's a smart, well spoken guy who knows how hockey teams operate. I love how he jumps in on the MSG question in the editorial board meeting.
He's like the anti-Larry Quinn. I couldn't be happier.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
The media doesn't report the facts...that's what I'm trying to get through to people. They give the most extreme opinion because it gets viewers and readers.

You want facts...here's facts:
The team has, up until this losing streak and win, the 4th highest winning percentage since January.
The offense is ranked 13th in goals per game. I think they were bottom 3 or 4 going into november.
Check the teams chances of making the playoffs in early december, and check them now.

Those are the facts...Do you hear that in the media? Or is it still wahhh wahhh wahhh...They cry more than the players do.

Do any of these facts matter?!?!?! The PLAYOFFS are what matter!!! Everything you just mentioned is still AVERAGE! Just like they have been the last 4 years, AVERAGE. I'm sick of people sticking up for and accepting mediocrity as something to be applauded for in this town.

They get to 1 point away from 8th place, then drop back to 5 points. Win 4, Lose 3. THIS IS AN AVERAGE TEAM THAT WILL BE LUCKY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS! Am I being too mean for you? Wake Up!!! You people drive me nuts. I'm out.