HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pegula Interview With Editorial Board

Old
02-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Do you really think players read the newspaper?
Just stopping by to laugh uncontrollably at this.

Carry on.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:13 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Do you really think I have a link memorized? Please be serious....
I remember Burke making that comment. Burke also likes to talk. And, for the record, do you think Regier was happy after Burke snookered him on Dom Moore's broken hand? If I was Regier I'd let a blowhard like Burke (who I like and respect for it, mind you) twist in his shorts a bit.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode2326 View Post
Very interesting interview here are some of my highlights.

-Pegula not interested at all about buying a football team. Sorry Bills.

-Ted Black would like to add the super slow-mo cameras the Pens have. Said contratually obligated to MSG until 2017 but they've been a good partner. Going to talk with them next month about things they can improve due to fans criticism. Mentioned how Dish Network doesn't get games.
Hopefully, that means not only post-game analysis for home AND away games but less cronyism in the announcing/analysts. Other than RJ & Roby, the rest should be replaced IMO.

Quote:
-Ted Black says variable pricing has done well but he doesn't like how it allows people from Toronto fill arena for Toronto games.
But that would take most of the fun out of pummeling the Leafs every time they come to town - even Miller said how much he enjoys sending the Leaf fans that made the trip and crowd the arena home with a loss is special.

Quote:
-Sabres will "ABSOLUTELY" be in the free agent market.
If that yields Richards or similar impact player, great - but the Sabres have "been" in the free agent market before and end up with the leftovers most teams pass on.

Quote:
-Pegula says Darcy wanted to keep Tallinder and Lydman. Golisano would not let Darcy give them a long term contract. Very mad about that.
If he was mad about that, how did he feel July 1, 2007?

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:17 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Not a fan of how Pegula continually sticks up for the players.

What kind of Buffalo sports fan is he?

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
If the players make more money in a year than I make in a lifetime, why should we not hold them more accountable?

The editorials may be more opinionated then the actually recaps, that's what editorials are.

Yes I would like a first class paper like the Toronto Star or Gazette.

I want the team and management held accountable on all levels. Do fans who pay to take their families not deserve this?

And to answer your question if I know a thing about journalism. I am college educated. I took a few courses in journalism. I know "if it bleed it leads" and I also know when someone is being a pompous jackass.
I said they made more money for their ORGANIZATION in one year than you do in your lifetime. You're all pissy about how much they make, but you don't understand how much they make for the owners. Check Jersey sales.

Aww...nice way to put it. If by 'more opinionated' you mean, take the extreme on everything, then you're right.

Great. Now to go along with a losing culture, cold weather, and a city that has a bad perception...You want to add enormous media pressure. Something a lot of players try to avoid. Smart thinking, buddy...

Yes, and they should be held accountable. So are they being held accountable for their recent success?

If it bleeds it leads...That's all you need to remember.

Dubi Doo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:19 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I said they made more money for their ORGANIZATION in one year than you do in your lifetime. You're all pissy about how much they make, but you don't understand how much they make for the owners. Check Jersey sales.

Aww...nice way to put it. If by 'more opinionated' you mean, take the extreme on everything, then you're right.

Great. Now to go along with a losing culture, cold weather, and a city that has a bad perception...You want to add enormous media pressure. Something a lot of players try to avoid. Smart thinking, buddy...

Yes, and they should be held accountable. So are they being held accountable for their recent success?

If it bleeds it leads...That's all you need to remember.
9th place.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...Sabres+Edge%29

Very interesting interview here are some of my highlights.

-Pegula not interested at all about buying a football team. Sorry Bills.

-Ted Black would like to add the super slow-mo cameras the Pens have. Said contratually obligated to MSG until 2017 but they've been a good partner. Going to talk with them next month about things they can improve due to fans criticism. Mentioned how Dish Network doesn't get games.

-Ted Black says variable pricing has done well but he doesn't like how it allows people from Toronto fill arena for Toronto games.

-Pegula says Darcy wanted more spending in scouting and devlopment. Said Darcy was used to hearing "No." Also said it was part of his plan before talking with Darcy.

-Pegula reiterates Darcy's prior comments that Sabres don't want rental players.

-Sabres will "ABSOLUTELY" be in the free agent market.

-Pegula says Darcy wanted to keep Tallinder and Lydman. Golisano would not let Darcy give them a long term contract. Very mad about that.

-Pegula was joking with Stafford in locker room. "My 16 year old want-to-be GM wants me to pay you more money." Says he had a good meeting with Stafford in locker room.
scratching my head at the bolded... how does variable pricing make a difference in that??? You could make the seats all the same price, $200 a pop or $20 a pop, and legions of Toronto fans are still going to get their hands on the tickets somehow.

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
joechip

Quote:
If the players make more money in a year than I make in a lifetime, why should we not hold them more accountable?

No offense, but when you are in the top 0.1% of people in your field, then you have the right to criticize how much money someone makes based on relative performance. Your earnings are irrelevant to this discussion. It's your right, but it makes you look foolish.

The editorials may be more opinionated then the actually recaps, that's what editorials are.

Yes I would like a first class paper like the Toronto Star or Gazette.

I want the team and management held accountable on all levels. Do fans who pay to take their families not deserve this?

And to answer your question if I know a thing about journalism. I am college educated. I took a few courses in journalism. I know "if it bleed it leads" and I also know when someone is being a pompous jackass.
*holds up mirror*

It's a BS argument to stand there and hold people to an unreasonable standard holding your nose and stamping your feet b/c they didn't give you your cookie.

TBN's guys have little good to say and showcase the height of their laziness and intellectual dishonesty[1] every time they write one of their 'editorials.'

Sully and Gleason in particular are fat, lazy, coddled whiny *****es who think a press pass entitles them to a pass on being responsible commentators in their field of expertise. It's crap. You can tell the guys holding onto the past and the ones embracing the future by looking at who is and who is not on twitter, etc. I may not agree with Harrington, but at least he's there interacting with the un-blessed media and taking as well as he gives. I respect that.

Gleason's weekly chats are a joke.

Ta,

[1] - not that I would ever accuse Jerry Sullivan of having any kind of intellect in the first friggin place. The ****ing toolbag doesn't have 2 brain cells left to rub together and make a spark.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:31 PM
aceface33

Listening to this now...he really does get confrontational with TBN...wow. This is actually like a homer fan bought the team. He doesn't want to listen to any criticism of them. I also love when they call him out on some of his more outlandish statements (like when he said that criticism in the papers makes them play bad) and he pulls the Homer Simpson thing of saying "It's my first day."

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
9th place.
Compared to...what was it in December?
We'll see where they're at in April, but they've clawed their way into contention when a majority of fans had already written them off. I hope they continue to proove people wrong, but only time will tell. It won't be easy.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:47 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
*holds up mirror*

It's a BS argument to stand there and hold people to an unreasonable standard holding your nose and stamping your feet b/c they didn't give you your cookie.

TBN's guys have little good to say and showcase the height of their laziness and intellectual dishonesty[1] every time they write one of their 'editorials.'

Sully and Gleason in particular are fat, lazy, coddled whiny *****es who think a press pass entitles them to a pass on being responsible commentators in their field of expertise. It's crap. You can tell the guys holding onto the past and the ones embracing the future by looking at who is and who is not on twitter, etc. I may not agree with Harrington, but at least he's there interacting with the un-blessed media and taking as well as he gives. I respect that.

Gleason's weekly chats are a joke.

Ta,

[1] - not that I would ever accuse Jerry Sullivan of having any kind of intellect in the first friggin place. The ****ing toolbag doesn't have 2 brain cells left to rub together and make a spark.
Much like a message board offers anonymous posters to be experts on subjects as well right?

Both Sullivan and Gleason are Columnists.

A columnist is a journalist who writes for publication in a series, creating an article that usually offers commentary and opinions.

Commentary....and...Opinions.

If they sparked a conversation good or bad out of you and I, on these boards, sold a paper, etc. then they did their job.

And been meaning to ask for the past 7 years, what in the world does "Ta," stand for?

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
And been meaning to ask for the past 7 years, what in the world does "Ta," stand for?
ta ta, cheerio, good chap

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:54 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
ta ta, cheerio, good chap

Ah, gotcha, thanks Riot.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
funkymag77

**** jerry sullivan, for a mere insect living off the game he's quite a *****

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:59 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
scratching my head at the bolded... how does variable pricing make a difference in that??? You could make the seats all the same price, $200 a pop or $20 a pop, and legions of Toronto fans are still going to get their hands on the tickets somehow.
exactly...um, hello...it's your season ticket holders who are selling those seats to Toronto fans to make back some of the money they shell out for the whole season...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:59 PM
aceface33

Yeah, Pegula slams Golisano on Lydman/Tallinder at the end there. "Straight hands tied, Golisano did not want long term contracts for those guys." Goes on to point out how Lydman is leading the league in plus/minus and how Myers play fell off without Tallinder. Jame, did you talk to him?

Old
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
aceface33

The "Toronto Effect" is a bit overstated, the secondary market is so flooded with tickets for those Toronto games that it drives the prices down. The only one this year I got a premium on is the Saturday night on in Feb. I'm feeling Ted Black when he says that it sucks when Toronto scores a goal and 6000 fans stand up and cheer but I don't know what you do about it.

Last edited by aceface33: 02-24-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Yeah, Pegula slams Golisano on Lydman/Tallinder at the end there. "Straight hands tied, Golisano did not want long term contracts for those guys." Goes on to point out how Lydman is leading the league in plus/minus and how Myers play fell off without Tallinder. Jame, did you talk to him?
I love how Pegula takes everything Darcy says as the truth...
Wouldn't you blame someone else to save your job?

And didn't Golisano say that Darcy made the decisions?

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:09 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

All you need to know about Jerry Sullivan is he LOVES basketball. And admits he doesn't follow hockey like other guys I'm this city.
There is nothing wrong with being critical of a sports team Terry, every NHL city has critics and fans. It is part of the territory. Guys who play a game for a living I am sure are used to being praised and slammed in the media since they were 16-17. It doesn't hurt or help their game on the ice. Fans in the stands have more influence of "feelings", than media hacks. Just my O.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:11 PM
aceface33

Quote:

In the Golisano era they always said decisions were made by ownership/GM/coaches together. And what Pegula/Darcy said about the situation falls right in line with numerous statements Golisano has made, right up to his last press conference, against long term guaranteed contracts. So I tend to believe Darcy/Pegula on this one.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Dubi Doo

I don't like how Pegula keeps on mentioning this three year window to win the cup. He's setting VERY high standards right now. If we're a contender with in three years, then I'll be happy, but the playoffs are very unpredictable. We may have a powerhouse, but we won't be the only one....

Old
02-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:

I like how you talk about this guy like he DIDN'T run a multi billion dollar company.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Listening to this now...he really does get confrontational with TBN...wow. This is actually like a homer fan bought the team. He doesn't want to listen to any criticism of them. I also love when they call him out on some of his more outlandish statements (like when he said that criticism in the papers makes them play bad) and he pulls the Homer Simpson thing of saying "It's my first day."
Despite my posts about the negative media ish, which I still stand by, he does seem to baby the team a bit. And there are a lot of excuses from him(whether they're true or not we will see in time), but at the same time, it's nice to hear someone who really wants to win.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Zip15

Quote:

And I love how all Regier bashers are grasping for straws right now.

How do you know he's taking Darcy's version of the truth? How do you know that Golisano himself didn't tell Pegula he vetoed contracts for Lydman and Tallinder? Or Quinn? Or Ruff? Or Lydman's and Tallinder's agents (remember, he said he and his people talked to agents around the league)?

The answer, of course, is you don't know. You have no idea. You're just rationalizing at this point because your worldview of a Regier as a bumbling ignoramus who's barely competent enough to get out of bed and tie his own shoes in the morning--a perception created primarily by recycled news articles and anecdotes by self-interested ***hole journalists trying to pass off what they do as "calling it as they see it"--is coming crashing down.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:54 PM
joechip

Quote:
Much like a message board offers anonymous posters to be experts on subjects as well right?

Both Sullivan and Gleason are Columnists.

A columnist is a journalist who writes for publication in a series, creating an article that usually offers commentary and opinions.

Commentary....and...Opinions.

If they sparked a conversation good or bad out of you and I, on these boards, sold a paper, etc. then they did their job.

Hey look, I did the pundit thing for a while and like anyone else am capable of (and did on many occasions) get carried away with my "opinion." There is a difference between having an honest opinion and one where you willfully disregard data that doesn't fit your model of events in order to advance an agenda. It is something that I (and a great number of people on this board and in other venues) have worked hard to stifle trying to walk the line between Fan and Columnist.

Gleason is still trying to spin events wrt Drury and Briere to show off his leet investigative skills by uncovering the 'truth' behind the Drury negotiations breakdown and has drawn his battle line with Regier and is standing by it to make himself sound relevant when he is nothing more than a joke among most of the fanbase.

He has not once apologized to Regier or us for his horrendous "GM for a Day" bloviations. The quality of his work is seen to be wanting everyday here at HF where amid the inevitable garbage is a fantastic mostly self-policing discussion of the nuances of the issues surrounding this team. Hiding behind your press pass as you spew ill-conceived garbage is not journalism. It's sad and if I were him I would be embarrassed.

Sullivan is nothing more than a sad and thin-skinned baby who uses his column to enact personal vendettas and has the chutzpah to call it journalistic integrity. It takes zero integrity to do what he does.

It might sell newspapers but it's not going to win you anyone's respect except those with even less self-respect than they obviously have.

Ta,