HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upside of Scott Barney

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Kritty

vCash: 500
Upside of Scott Barney

I'm not a Kings fan but I've followed Scott Barney lately. He looks like he is finally back on form and looks like he may be set to do some scoring at the NHL level consistently. I've heard that he will get a shot to play on the top 2 lines next year which could mean some good numbers. Anyone have an opinion on where Barney is likely to fit in with the Kings next year and beyond? Any number predictions?

Old
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
palffytofrovlov

I like Barney... I think if he stays healthy and plays on the top 2 lines I can see him score 20 goals next year....He had chemistry with Frolov and Stumple when he was called up. I would put Cammaleri in the middle of those 2 and that could be a good line for the Kings.

Old
07-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I would venture to say that the sky is limit for Barney. He finally seemed to come around last season, put out a physical effort on a nightly basis, did just about everything he could to stay in the lineup, until he got hurt. I could say his game could be as high as Bertuzzi's or as low as someone like Battaglia. Somewhere in between I'd say.

Old
07-01-2004, 08:12 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
I recall having a similar thread a few months ago about the Kings prospects and what their ceiling is. I said it then and I'll say it again, I feel that Barney has the most upside of any of the Kings prospects, ANY. The question was always whether his back would let him realize his potential. If he is finally over the back injury, and not plagued with other injuries (two very big ifs), he can be a tremendous force in the NHL. But the question of health will always be asked of him.

07-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Kritty

I like all these replies. I signed Barney as a free agent for very cheap. I was hoping people shared my opinion of him.

Old
07-01-2004, 10:59 PM
maximil

I also think Barney has been showing a lot of promise. I think he could put on a Trent Hunter like campaign next season.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Word

What is the status of Scott Barney? He was listed as getting a QA but wasnt included on the list of free agents provided by the NHL. Did he sign or get traded?

Old
07-02-2004, 09:25 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word
What is the status of Scott Barney? He was listed as getting a QA but wasnt included on the list of free agents provided by the NHL. Did he sign or get traded?
I think Barney will be taking many phone calls during the FA period...I have no idea of what the Kings qualified Barney at but I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see the Kings have to make the "match the offer from another club" decision when we get down to the wire. IMO, Barney played well enough last season to turn heads and with his up-side, there will be offers for his services from other teams....

Old
07-02-2004, 10:08 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Reading his interview, and speaking with the interviewer, I get the feeling that Barney will resign with the Kings even if there is a larger offer out there. He greatly appreciates all the help the Kings gave him when he had the back injury and paying for all his medical expenses when they could have just cut him and been done with it. He's not one to forget this and I think he feels it is his time to atone for the kindness given him.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:51 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
Reading his interview, and speaking with the interviewer, I get the feeling that Barney will resign with the Kings even if there is a larger offer out there. He greatly appreciates all the help the Kings gave him when he had the back injury and paying for all his medical expenses when they could have just cut him and been done with it. He's not one to forget this and I think he feels it is his time to atone for the kindness given him.
I agree that Barney isn't one to forget what the Kings have done for him and there is likely a "loyalty" to the team on Barney's part, but at what point does the business side outweigh the friendship side? As I said previously, I have no idea of what the King's qualifying offer to Barney is, but, if another team offers him a substantial increase, I think he would at least have to bring it back to the Kings to keep the relationship "honest". There are no guarantees that the Kings wouldn't trade Barney (except for if he realizes his full potential and is still willing to play for around $400,000/yr.).

In all honesty, I admire a person with loyalty such as we are discussing, but not to the point that it becomes "blind" and the other side takes advantage of it. Yes, the Kings stood by their investment (Scott Barney) and now have developed a great asset as a result. In the end, Barney is just that, an asset that provides entertainment and can be sold and traded in the NHL market place.

Closed Thread