HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

leafs-panthers

Old
02-25-2011, 01:38 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
He's not mean to carry an offense, like he is in Florida. But with players like Kessel, Kulemin, Macarthur, he could shine, because he actually would get some very good wingers in those players. A center depth of Weiss-Grabovski-Bozak would b real solid for a long time, considering the average age of those players is about 26. They're also all very cheap in terms of cap hits, with Weiss being the highest at 3.1, which is an incredible bargain.
Weiss' cap hit is definitely attractive. With him in the middle, it allows the Leafs to pursue impact wingers a lot easier. I will agree that the wingers the Leafs have are a definite step up from what Florida has. Weiss very well could shine in this situation. The problem is, Kessel is really the only true dynamic player on the Leafs roster, and I was hoping that the next player the Leafs did acquire, was a center that could really do it all, and I am not so sure Weiss can fit into that category. He seems like the type of player that really needs his wingers to do well in order to succeed. With that said, he could make a formidable duo with Kessel, and based on Bozak's recent play, that certainly is tempting.

Quote:
I don't know, if the Leafs *did* get Weiss without giving up any significant roster players, and if they could add a top-6 winger in the offseason, they'd have a pretty good top-6, with offense distributed up and down the lineup. Good enough as to where Weiss doesn't need to put the team on his back, like in Florida. Also, he's a great leader, so he would help the Leafs in terms of off-the-ice demeanor as well. He's got a great attitude.
With Weiss, i think the Leafs would definitely need to ice 3 scoring lines in order to be competitive. Currently that is what Ron Wilson's system employs. Unfortunately for the Leafs, the player personnel isn't quite good enough to make such a system effective for long periods of time. There isn't enough firepower to make it work on a consistent enough basis. The question is, would Weiss be enough to make this system actually effective? I certainly do like the intangibles (I definitely can't say that word without thinking of Toews anymore) that Weiss brings to the table, and it is certainly something the Leafs could use.

Quote:
I agree fully. All I'm saying is that this is a heckuva deal for the Leafs when you break it down. A 25-u pick, a 35-50 pick, and the Leafs' 11th ranked prospect for a very, very good center in Weiss. That would easily be topped by teams like Washington, Chicago, Montreal, etc. (Not LA. Lombardi loves all of his prospects too much)
Oh for sure, If the OP's deal was actually doable, then that is something I would jump on in a heartbeat. I made my argument with the basis that it would cost a lot more than what the OP suggests, and I'm not so sure it's a price i would be comfortable with the Leafs paying.

Quote:
But who is out there that the Leafs could acquire? And anoter questions is, do the Leafs have the assets to acquire a *true* first line center? I don't know if they have the assets they'd be willing to give up. This package ain't getting you anything close to a top line center. Which is why I think adding a player who helps distribute the offense, and wouldn't cost that of an elite center to acquire, would be a smart thing to do. He still has some upside left in his game, he's only 27.
You never really know who is available. Like i said, teams certainly aren't lining up to give away their top line centers. I think the Leafs definitely could put together a package that could acquire one if available. The question is, would Burke be willing to part with significant assets in order to make it work? I think he might be, and i certainly would be willing to give up more if it meant putting a bonafide top line center on this team. It is definitely arguable that a top line center is the most important position to fill in hockey, and I think the Leafs could fill that hole without decimating the team.

Quote:
He'd make the Leafs a solid team, though. He'd help make them a yearly 5-8 contender. And, in a few years, you could trade Weiss+ to acquire that top line center if you don't already have one by then(which would be a bit of a problem tbh. )
That is the problem I have. The Leafs have been a middling team for far too many years. A deal here and there, giving up a couple first rounders for rentals, or guys who aren't really going to be the right solution has been the calling card of this team for too long. Is being a 5-8 contender really good enough? If the Leafs are constantly fighting it out to make the playoffs, are they ever really going to be a good enough threat to the top teams in the league? This is my main problem with acquiring Weiss. Would the Leafs just try to make it work around him for many years? That isn't something I really want to see happen. Personally, I would rather the Leafs spent a significant amount more to bring in somebody that has proven capabilities in the number one center role.

All in all, would I be really upset if the Leafs traded their two 1sts+ for Weiss? Probably not overly. For all I know there is no realistic way for the Leafs to pick up that true number one guy. Weiss is likely better than either of those picks would ever be, so I couldn't get too fussy about it. More than anything I would just like to see Burke build a team that could realistically compete with some of the better teams in the league. If the Leafs do end up acquiring Weiss, I guess i'll just have to hang onto that "Anything can happen in the playoffs" adage.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:10 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

You make some good points MM, but the fact is #1 Centre's don't grow on trees and very few are available if at all. Weiss is probably the most realistic and best option, and it's not a bad option at all until we do find that guy.

The Leafs may be a 6-8th playoff team with this deal, but that's in the short term. Short term goal is to make the playoffs, long term goal to contend for a Cup, and that can happen later.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:32 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
You make some good points MM, but the fact is #1 Centre's don't grow on trees and very few are available if at all. Weiss is probably the most realistic and best option, and it's not a bad option at all until we do find that guy.

The Leafs may be a 6-8th playoff team with this deal, but that's in the short term. Short term goal is to make the playoffs, long term goal to contend for a Cup, and that can happen later.
Yup, like i said, it certainly is not easy to find a number one center. Teams that have them probably aren't really willing to give them up. Weiss may never be the guy to lead a team to the promise land, but i will concede that he could be the best option out there right now, and definitely could be better than just sitting and waiting.

If we did acquire Weiss, it would indeed have to be a short term option. I just hope that that the Leafs can fill that gaping hole that we've had here ever since Sundin left.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:46 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Weiss hasn't even played most of this year with Booth. He's had a lot more nights being paired with Higgins/Stillman on the LW on his line. With Frolik (who apparently forgot how to play hockey this year) and Jack Skille (4th liner in Chicago) as the main RW's.

So yeah, he's played with nobody.

The one time he got to play with a real player was with Horton on Horton's career year last year, and he put up good #'s.

Kessel is a better player than any player Weiss has ever had the chance to play with in the NHL, and it's not even close.
it's really not that bad of an offer/deal....that being said Burke won't deal D'Amigo.

I think if D'Amigo comes out of the deal and you replace him with Carrick or Ryan this deal is a lot closer.

D'Amigo could very well have a better NHL career then the leafs top 2 prospects: Colborne and Kadri.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:49 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Weiss has passed 50 points twice. He's nothing special.
And 60 points twice. He is worth more than that..

He's likely to stay, so stop this madness. Too many bad Weiss proposals here.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:52 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
I love Booth. One of my favorite players in the league. But he still hasn't *fully* recovered. He's still a great player when fully healthy.
Not sure what you mean about "fully healthy", he has showed no signs of a set back. And he has been good this year, but need to work on his accuracy, he would score many more goals.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Vexxed14

I doubt the leafs will get a 1A Centre. I believe they will be happy with a C that can produce like Grabo, send Bozak to the 3rd line where he will thrive and continue to let the team develop.

People always talk like the players that are on our roster have hit their ceiling. We don't want to lock down too much long term. Short term, 1b type players are perfect for us until we know what we do or don't have in our system

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
If you go by Burke's mindset, there is no chance he goes after Weiss.

He's consistently said that he won't try to spend assets just to get his ass kicked in the first round of the playoffs. Clearly, Weiss doesn't guarantee any more than that.

While Weiss would definetly increase our chances into the playoffs massively, he isn't ideal. Burke should be pursuing Statsny (if he IS available), or Richards. These two centres are much more complete, regardless of cap hit. They also help you build a better hockey team over the long run, as Statsny especially, is young and still improving.

Unless Weiss comes as cheap or cheaper than the OP suggested, there isn't a chance Weiss is on this club by Monday.
like an earlier post noted though, is Richards still that highly regerded with the concussion? Stastny, great, but the AV'S would be nuts to deal this guy. I like Weiss, but 2 picks and a pretty decent prospect for a guy that is behind Grabo and just above Bozak seems a bit much for the Leafs. We need a legit #1C with Grabo and Bozak being 2-3. I'd prefer to wait for Colbourn and Kadri. Will they be #1c's, maybe no, but with Grabo,Bozak,Kadri and Colbourne, that ain't a bad 4.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Weiss' cap hit is definitely attractive. With him in the middle, it allows the Leafs to pursue impact wingers a lot easier. I will agree that the wingers the Leafs have are a definite step up from what Florida has. Weiss very well could shine in this situation. The problem is, Kessel is really the only true dynamic player on the Leafs roster, and I was hoping that the next player the Leafs did acquire, was a center that could really do it all, and I am not so sure Weiss can fit into that category. He seems like the type of player that really needs his wingers to do well in order to succeed. With that said, he could make a formidable duo with Kessel, and based on Bozak's recent play, that certainly is tempting.

With Weiss, i think the Leafs would definitely need to ice 3 scoring lines in order to be competitive. Currently that is what Ron Wilson's system employs. Unfortunately for the Leafs, the player personnel isn't quite good enough to make such a system effective for long periods of time. There isn't enough firepower to make it work on a consistent enough basis. The question is, would Weiss be enough to make this system actually effective? I certainly do like the intangibles (I definitely can't say that word without thinking of Toews anymore) that Weiss brings to the table, and it is certainly something the Leafs could use.

Oh for sure, If the OP's deal was actually doable, then that is something I would jump on in a heartbeat. I made my argument with the basis that it would cost a lot more than what the OP suggests, and I'm not so sure it's a price i would be comfortable with the Leafs paying.

You never really know who is available. Like i said, teams certainly aren't lining up to give away their top line centers. I think the Leafs definitely could put together a package that could acquire one if available. The question is, would Burke be willing to part with significant assets in order to make it work? I think he might be, and i certainly would be willing to give up more if it meant putting a bonafide top line center on this team. It is definitely arguable that a top line center is the most important position to fill in hockey, and I think the Leafs could fill that hole without decimating the team.

That is the problem I have. The Leafs have been a middling team for far too many years. A deal here and there, giving up a couple first rounders for rentals, or guys who aren't really going to be the right solution has been the calling card of this team for too long. Is being a 5-8 contender really good enough? If the Leafs are constantly fighting it out to make the playoffs, are they ever really going to be a good enough threat to the top teams in the league? This is my main problem with acquiring Weiss. Would the Leafs just try to make it work around him for many years? That isn't something I really want to see happen. Personally, I would rather the Leafs spent a significant amount more to bring in somebody that has proven capabilities in the number one center role.

All in all, would I be really upset if the Leafs traded their two 1sts+ for Weiss? Probably not overly. For all I know there is no realistic way for the Leafs to pick up that true number one guy. Weiss is likely better than either of those picks would ever be, so I couldn't get too fussy about it. More than anything I would just like to see Burke build a team that could realistically compete with some of the better teams in the league. If the Leafs do end up acquiring Weiss, I guess i'll just have to hang onto that "Anything can happen in the playoffs" adage.
OK...how is this any different than the Kessel deal then. (Which by the way i liked.) Every one hammered Burke for trading futures to get a 23yr old proven scorer, but now it's OK to bring in a #2C which we have?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

No way from Leafs pov.

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
lol wut?

no way from FLA a late 1st, decent 2nd and a decent prospect doesnt do much in replacing a productive center who will probably be the panthers captain if they hold on to him and its not like the panthers have to move him, they arent full of productive forawrds causing weiss to be expendable
yeah, I see no benefit in this for Florida.

Weiss is signed for a couple more years at a very cheap contract and by his own comments seems to be very happy there.

Why on earth trade him for a couple picks outside the top 25? Even if they find diamonds in the rough there, it is a good chance those guys don't make much impact for another 3-5 years.

JoeIsAStud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:09 AM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
like an earlier post noted though, is Richards still that highly regerded with the concussion? Stastny, great, but the AV'S would be nuts to deal this guy. I like Weiss, but 2 picks and a pretty decent prospect for a guy that is behind Grabo and just above Bozak seems a bit much for the Leafs. We need a legit #1C with Grabo and Bozak being 2-3. I'd prefer to wait for Colbourn and Kadri. Will they be #1c's, maybe no, but with Grabo,Bozak,Kadri and Colbourne, that ain't a bad 4.
This is a fair view point, but regarding Richards, he absolutely is high regarded.
In fact, he helps out Burke even more.

Contending teams may be willing to shell out less for him (to try and win a cup this year, they put their focus elswhere). Burke swoops in and gives Nieuwy the best offer.

Win-Win for both teams, as Toronto gets Richards for the next 4-5 years (hopefully) without the pressure of performing this year.

Dallas gets the best offer.

NoTouchIcing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
last row purple

vCash: 680
The Leafs are looking for a 1st line Centre. Weiss would be 2nd line on the Leafs behind Grabo. Not worth giving up prospects for Weiss

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
tml2till2012

CLOSE this thread, Weiss is the most overrated player in NHL HISTORY. Florida fans can only wish we would take this deal.

tml2till2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:08 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml2till2012 View Post
CLOSE this thread, Weiss is the most overrated player in NHL HISTORY. Florida fans can only wish we would take this deal.
Every player in Florida gets overrated it seems.

Much more was expected of Weiss when Florida drafted him.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:17 PM
AndMat*

Might as well offer a 7th round pick for stajan

AndMat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:21 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
OK...how is this any different than the Kessel deal then. (Which by the way i liked.) Every one hammered Burke for trading futures to get a 23yr old proven scorer, but now it's OK to bring in a #2C which we have?
How is it different????

You're talking about a sub-25 pick, a 40-50 pick, and the Leafs 11th ranked prospect for a top notch 1B center.

The Kessel deal was two top-10 picks, and a high second for a one-dimensional, albeit talented, goal scoring winger.

This thread further proves the insanity of Leaf fans. My god.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
How is it different????

You're talking about a sub-25 pick, a 40-50 pick, and the Leafs 11th ranked prospect for a top notch 1B center.

The Kessel deal was two top-10 picks, and a high second for a one-dimensional, albeit talented, goal scoring winger.

This thread further proves the insanity of Leaf fans. My god.
The "One-dimensional" thing gets old. Kessel was dominating last night. Weiss is no Phil Kessel. Kessel is a top-line player. Weiss is not.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:33 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper
The "One-dimensional" thing gets old. Kessel was dominating last night. Weiss is no Phil Kessel. Kessel is a top-line player. Weiss is not.
Kessel is one-dimensional. He constantly floats. Kessel is no Stephen Weiss. Weiss is a top line player. Kessel is not.

I can make vague and cryptic points that have no meaning, as well.

Weiss has put up 60 points two years in a row. Those are 1st line numbers. Hell, he outscored Kessel last year, yet Kessel is some star while Weiss is some scrub? Kessel is very one-dimensional. He's notoriously inconsistent, not that great of a passer, soft, and constantly floats around in every zone he plays in. And don't give me the linemates excuse, Weiss has much worse to work with.

Weiss, on the other hand, is far from one-dimensional. He's fantastic defensively, and always puts in a good effort, more than you can say for Kessel. Also, he has 4 less points, in two less games.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
wayne98

I wouldnt do that trade as a leaf fan either, we are rebuilding, I would rather keep the draft picks and our prospects, the only way you give up that package is if you are landing a nhl ready grade A prospect, cody hodgson type player

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Zrinski

Quote:
Kessel is one-dimensional. He constantly floats. Kessel is no Stephen Weiss. Weiss is a top line player. Kessel is not.

I can make vague and cryptic points that have no meaning, as well.

Weiss has put up 60 points two years in a row. Those are 1st line numbers. Hell, he outscored Kessel last year, yet Kessel is some star while Weiss is some scrub? Kessel is very one-dimensional. He's notoriously inconsistent, not that great of a passer, soft, and constantly floats around in every zone he plays in. And don't give me the linemates excuse, Weiss has much worse to work with.

Weiss, on the other hand, is far from one-dimensional. He's fantastic defensively, and always puts in a good effort, more than you can say for Kessel. Also, he has 4 less points, in two less games.
By blindly listing all of the stereotypes about Kessel you have made it clear you haven't watched him play. I'll give you incosistent goal scorer, but his passing is incredibly underrated around here, and he is improving defensively as well.

If you want to get into stats, Weiss may have outscored Kessel last year, but people forget how young the kid is. He was 22 last season and put up 55 points. At the same age Weiss put up 21. Kessel also played fewer games than Weiss last year and had a higher points per game than Weiss did.

Regardless, no one was calling Weiss a scrub. That's quite a stretch from the actual quotes saying Weiss isn't a top line center.

Zrinski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:58 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

pass from the leafs. he's not the #1 centre we need

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:01 PM
WWB

Quote:
I would do it.

I see the "He's not a #1 Centre" and o.k that's fine. But I don't think it would be so bad if his upside is to be a good 2nd line Centre like Grabovski is. I don't think you need to absolutely have an elite #1 Centre in order to be a great hockey team. Teams have competed without one.

It's about balance. Having two consistent lines can still go a long way. He's on a good deal as well, and in two years time we can decide if this is the direction we want to continue to go.
I totally of agree with this. He is young enough, and on a good enough contract that the Leafs could move him or Grabovski if a true number 1 center comes along. He's a Toronto boy with some grit and heart and could really help out right about now.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:

no i'd rather rebuild properly and become a strong cup contender than make the playoffs every year and lose in the first couple rounds

just be patient and stop jumping on every decent centre available

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrinski View Post
By blindly listing all of the stereotypes about Kessel you have made it clear you haven't watched him play. I'll give you incosistent goal scorer, but his passing is incredibly underrated around here, and he is improving defensively as well.
Just because you disagree with my points doesn't mean I don't watch the Leafs. Most of the time, Kessel looks completely lost in his own zone. He just kind of skates around waiting for the puck. His passing is ok, but not all that good. He has 104 assists in 353 NHL games. Not the best of numbers.

Quote:
If you want to get into stats, Weiss may have outscored Kessel last year, but people forget how young the kid is. He was 22 last season and put up 55 points. At the same age Weiss put up 21. Kessel also played fewer games than Weiss last year and had a higher points per game than Weiss did.
That's nice, but I was making a point that acting like Kessel is so much more superior than Weiss is extremely ignorant.

Quote:
Regardless, no one was calling Weiss a scrub. That's quite a stretch from the actual quotes saying Weiss isn't a top line center.
Well, if RogerRoeper would explain himself, we wouldn't have this misunderstanding. Unfortunately, he seems incapable of doing that.