HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs-Kings deadline deal

Old
02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
scdn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post

How did I know before even opening this thread that it was yet ANOTHER Schenn to Toronto thread? Give it up, Leaf fans. The only way there will be a TOR-LA trade involving Schenn is if it's Luke, not Brayden.
Why would you think there is any better chance of the Leafs trading Luke than the Kings trading Brayden?

scdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
edruga
-

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Kings take it in the shorts on that one too
Yes because Brayden Schenn is the next Crosby. Most overrated prospect in a long time, it's ****ing sad that people think he's worth more than great, young NHL players. I wouldn't be surprised if Parise for Brayden Schenn would be considered an unfair trade for LA.

Also, why do Leaf fans even bother proposing these trades?

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:54 AM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Goon View Post
So Toronto gives up trash and gets a good young player.
This is an extremely ignorant comment. The value is there its just not what the Kings need. The Leafs would be giving up too much giving their current situation. Once again niether team does this.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:54 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Brayden Schenn has got a lot of teams after him other than the Leafs as apparently thats what other teams are asking for in exchange for a top line winger

I wonder if boston offered up seguin..would that get it done?

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
edruga
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
I wonder if boston offered up seguin..would that get it done?
Apparently it wouldn't on hfboards. Boston needs to add Toronto's 1st for the kings to even consider it.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:57 AM
scdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
Apparently it wouldn't on hfboards. Boston needs to add Toronto's 1st to even consider it.
Yeah haven't you heard? Seguin is already playing in the NHL and isn't a 90 point player yet.

Segiuin <<<<< B. Schenn

scdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Martyros

Yes! I do this deal! Take him now....and may the Schenn proposals be over with!

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:01 PM
seanlinden

Honestly...what Xavier West said is 100% correct.

These Schenn proposals are getting ridiculous. Toronto has 2 high end centre prospects in Kadri & Colborne, the former who has more offensive upside / creativity (obviously nowhere near the complete player that Schenn is), and the latter who is massive, protects the puck well, and problably convertible to a left winger. In the NHL, they've got a pair of young centres in Grabovski (a decent 2nd line offensive guy), and Bozak (a solid 2-way 3rd line guy with realistic 2nd line upside). They also have Greg McKegg, who's a bit of a longshot, but if he makes it will be an offensive centre.

Toronto's needs for a centre are limited to 3 potential "profiles":
#1. A relatively young bonafide #1 playmaking centre. Think Paul Stastny.
#2. A bonafide top 6 playmaking centre that we can use as a stopgap solution. Think Stephen Weiss, Tim Connolly.
#3. A prospect two-way centre with at least 2nd line upside. Sure, Schenn fits into this role, but our wilingness to pay for a player in this role shouldn't be anywhere near Brayden Schenn's value. They should just use one of the 1st rounders to grab a guy like Mark Scheifele, Boone Jenner, Mark McNeil, Jonathan Miller or Zach Phillips.

Would it be nice to get Brayden Schenn? Sure, I'd take him over any of the prospects mentioned in #3. Should we be willing to pay the ridiculous premium that the Kings want? no.

If Toronto had a ~27-year old borderline top end player that they were looking to cash out on, then of course Los Angeles should be the first team we call. However, Toronto doesn't have that. We have only one elite offensive talent, and he's 23 years old. The rest of our team is comprised of 2nd line and lower players, most of whom are 26 or under.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-25-2011 at 12:10 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Offering a D-man to LA would be complete stupidity on Burke's part. We are absolutely slopping over with D-men! Don't you TO fans get that? God you guys are Fn hopeless.

Attention all none LA fans (this includes you TO)......we still don't need your goalies or D-men!!!!
I agree, i don't think it was a Leaf fan who proposed it.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Xavier West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk View Post
Colborne got traded because he looked pretty pedestrian this year at the AHL level for an "8.0 C". Using "AHL seasoning" as an upside should probably have him succeeding at that level as well.
Colborne got traded because Burke selected him as THE prospect he wanted in return. And he was doing just fine in the AHL, 3rd on his team in Goals and Points. It just so happens that Providence is a terrible team, one of the lowest in GF and highest in GA, so, points are reflected as such for ALL the players on that team that have to play in their own end for most of their games (consider; their leading scorer has 36 points in 58 games!!! yikes). It's a different story for him now with a competitive Marlies team, and he seems to be adjusting well. Go and watch him live, and you'll have no doubt about his talents, or why he was second among ALL prospects in Boston's system (after Seguin of course).

Xavier West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Ronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
His 8.0 rating isn't a myth. Check the Boston boards prior to the Kaberle trade, they were saying the kid was not moveable, after, Wheeler was better, then peddaled Wheeler to ATL. I'm not comparing him to Schenn. I think Schenn will be great, my point was instead of overpaying for him i'd rather see what our own prospects will do. Furthermore, a 3 game window may not be alot, but putting up numbers on a new team within a new system says alot.
This has nothing to do with Schenn. What im saying is HF ratings and 3 game trials arent the end all do all. Production is. Thus far, hes hasnt produced at the AHL level. I agree though that you guys should stick to what you have and ride it out. Peddling off the general wouldnt be a bad idea either if the return is good enough.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:12 PM
JSilvius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Kings fans realize that he is far from a star or a sure thing.
Toronto fans need to realize that the Kings aren't going to trade the guy for anything short of an elite talent, which Kessel isn't.

A player like Schenn ,on an ELC, is invaluable to a team that will be starting to make it's run.
Almost pathetic how much Kings fans overrate Schenn. Any general manager who wouldn't trade Schenn for Kessel would be fired on the spot with no questions asked. Kessel is a legitimate 30 goal scorer (who will have three 30 goal seasons under his belt while only being 23 years old), Schenn is playing in the CHL as a 20 year old.

JSilvius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan7 View Post
Almost pathetic how much Kings fans overrate Schenn. Any general manager who wouldn't trade Schenn for Kessel would be fired on the spot with no questions asked. Kessel is a legitimate 30 goal scorer (who will have three 30 goal seasons under his belt while only being 23 years old), Schenn is playing in the CHL as a 20 year old.
Kessel has an inflated $5.4mil cap hit, attitude issues and is maddeningly inconsistent. Schenn will be on an affordable ELC for his first three years in the league, allowing the Kings to add significant talent while he's on a very reasonable contract. Schenn is also a homegrown, drafted-and-developed talent while Kessel is not. Even a cursory glance at recent Cup champions shows their key contributors all being players drafted by the franchise.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Ronk

Quote:
Hes 19... if he was 20 he would be in the AHL right now.

The whole Kessel for Schenn thing shouldn't even be brought up on either side. It does nothing for anyone.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
I wonder if Brian Burke calls dean everyday coming up with a new deal, trying to pry Schenn away from us?

Burke: Hey Dean how you doing today?
Dean: Uhh, im good
B: So how about a second a prospect and we will take a salary dump for brayden
D: How many times do i have to say no?
B: Okay ill try again tomorrow...

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
meman

Man, I can't wait for the deadline to pass so all these Schenn deadline deals can stop.

Then they can start the Schenn at the draft deals.

meman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
JSilvius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk View Post
Hes 19... if he was 20 he would be in the AHL right now.

The whole Kessel for Schenn thing shouldn't even be brought up on either side. It does nothing for anyone.
You can be 20 years old and play in the CHL (Ryan Ellis, Zack Kassian etc.). Schenn will be 20 in a few months I take it - The point I was trying to make is that he's playing in the CHL against younger competition, most of whom would be lucky to make an ECHL roster or have a career past the CHL. Kessel is scoring 30 goals in the NHL. Schenn would be lucky to score 30 goals in the NHL.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
JSilvius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Kessel has an inflated $5.4mil cap hit, attitude issues and is maddeningly inconsistent. Schenn will be on an affordable ELC for his first three years in the league, allowing the Kings to add significant talent while he's on a very reasonable contract. Schenn is also a homegrown, drafted-and-developed talent while Kessel is not. Even a cursory glance at recent Cup champions shows their key contributors all being players drafted by the franchise.
Yet if anyone said they wouldn't trade Kadri straight up for Brown, they'd be laughed at and ridiculed until the cows came home. The logic here is also flawed, Rick Nash makes 7.8 a season and Kessel makes 5.4, that would be like me saying Kessel is more valuable than Nash because it gives us more cap space to work with to sign another star. Quality is always more important than quantity.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
You can be 20 years old and play in the CHL (Ryan Ellis, Zack Kassian etc.). Schenn will be 20 in a few months I take it - The point I was trying to make is that he's playing in the CHL against younger competition, most of whom would be lucky to make an ECHL roster or have a career past the CHL. Kessel is scoring 30 goals in the NHL. Schenn would be lucky to score 30 goals in the NHL.
Schenn is 19 until August. His overage season would be next year, not this one.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Yet if anyone said they wouldn't trade Kadri straight up for Brown, they'd be laughed at and ridiculed until the cows came home. The logic here is also flawed, Rick Nash makes 7.8 a season and Kessel makes 5.4, that would be like me saying Kessel is more valuable than Nash because it gives us more cap space to work with to sign another star. Quality is always more important than quantity.
Kadri isn't even close to the prospect Schenn is.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Also, anyone who knows Lombardi's MO at all knows that he wouldn't want Kessel on this team, not for free and certainly not in a trade.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
edruga
-

Quote:
You're pulling **** out of your ass. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Kadri isn't even close to the prospect Schenn is.
Explain why Kadri isn't even close.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Also, anyone who knows Lombardi's MO at all knows that he wouldn't want Kessel on this team, not for free and certainly not in a trade.
ya...a 23yr old proven 30 goal score....who the hell wants that.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
ya...a 23yr old proven 30 goal score....who the hell wants that.
He's not a complete enough player to be a good fit in the Kings system.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
You're pulling **** out of your ass. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Lol okay then. It's also telling that that's the only part of my indictment of Kessel that you took offense to/bothered to argue.

Quote:
Explain why Kadri isn't even close.
I forgot that Kadri had one of the greatest WJC performances in history. Kadri can't even crack the lineup of one of the thinnest offensive teams in the league and was thoroughly underwhelming in the few games he played in, despite being put in every position to succeed.