HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHX @ CBJ | Fri Feb 25 7pm | "It's Still Winter?" Edition

Old
02-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

vCash: 500
What a game last night!

I love Friday night games. All the District bars have happy hour from 4-7, and they really fill up with Jackets fans getting juiced for the game. Always makes the arena atmosphere that much better!

Not to be a downer, because that was a great game, but our first line looked a bit out of sync 5 v 5 last night. As a good team should do, though, the second line really stepped up, and the third and fourth lines did great work.

It was Calvert's night for sure, but I am still marvelling at the "elevation" of the play of DMac. I tell you what, if he could just elevate his finishing a bit more we would have won 7-3 last night. He missed a couple of glorious chances, but the great thing is that that line was generating those chances all night.

How about the resurgence of Mason?

Quote:
-- Calvert has goals in four of the past five games, the last three in a row. . . . The Jackets' other hat tricks this season; Nash, November 20 versus San Jose, and Kristian Huselius, December 16 at Edmonton. . . . Umbergerís goal was his 20th of the season. In his sixth season, he has four times scored 20-plus. He has 18 points in the past 23 games.

-- Umbergerís penalty shot was the second of the Jacketsí season and the 20th in franchise history. . . . Voracek has eight points in the past eight games. The Jackets were 10-1-1 when he scored a goal and 22-5-4 when he gets a point. . . . Rick Nash pushed his point streak to six games with an assist on Voracekís goal. Nash has 11 goals and 24 points in the past 19 games.

-- Grant Clitsome has a four-game point streak, and points in 11 of the past 17 games. . . . Steve Mason is 13-5-1 in his past 19 starts. In his last eight, he is 7-1 with a 1.63 GAA, a .947 save percentage and two shutouts. . . . The Jacketsí power play was 3-for-9. It was the third consecutive game the team has scored multiple power-play goals, and the fifth time this season -- five times in the past 12 games. . . . The Jacketsí power play is 16-of-70 (22.9 percent) over the past 18 games (this, after going 3-for-30).
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

OK, now on to a nasty 5 game road trip. My thought is that we have to get at LEAST 6 points on this trip. The more the better, but no less than 6.

GO JACKETS!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Oops, sorry about the double post. Been having problems with HF all morning.

Last edited by Dr. Fire: 02-26-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old
02-26-2011, 08:27 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

For THE FIRST TIME...

I see an unexpected surprise, in fact I see a few things that were surprising..

The Jackets found some lightning in a bottle... last night, I was all prepared to drown my sorrows with Vanilla Absolute down 2-0 less than 5:00 minutes in, I even switched to the Cavs game for a few minutes, then I switched back

and guys are doing what they are supposed to do

Puck moving defensemen.. Lil Shake, Clitter & Stralman all looked very mobile, there were more than a few end to end's in fact didn't Stralman go end to end driving the net

more impressive than that though and my 1st star (cannot believe I'm sayin this) Boll.. he took a sucker punch and passed on the fight BECAUSE IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO - EVEN MORE AMAZING ETHAN went right after the goon to pull him off. I think we just might have some jell in the locker room. And just for Hitch, a little grit

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I see an unexpected surprise, in fact I see a few things that were surprising..

The Jackets found some lightning in a bottle... last night, I was all prepared to drown my sorrows with Vanilla Absolute down 2-0 less than 5:00 minutes in, I even switched to the Cavs game for a few minutes, then I switched back

and guys are doing what they are supposed to do

Puck moving defensemen.. Lil Shake, Clitter & Stralman all looked very mobile, there were more than a few end to end's in fact didn't Stralman go end to end driving the net
more impressive than that though and my 1st star (cannot believe I'm sayin this) Boll.. he took a sucker punch and passed on the fight BECAUSE IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO - EVEN MORE AMAZING ETHAN went right after the goon to pull him off. I think we just might have some jell in the locker room. And just for Hitch, a little grit
Yea, and he ended up with a goaltender interference penalty! Actually it was a bit unjustified as he was tripped up while going to the net.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:00 AM
zmancartfan

Hi everybody. Been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. Don't shoot me, please.

Been a Jackets fan for the last 10 years. I've been trying to make at least one game a year, but after leaving Columbus in 2002 and now living in the Cleveland area with three kids makes it hard some years to make the trek. The whole family made it last night, though, - all 7 of us - even though the winter storm earlier in the day threatened to keep us home and missing the game due to the stupid Cavaliers on the local FSN.

Anyway, I have to say that last night's game was the single most fun sporting event I've ever been to. The previous best was a victory over the Sabres 4 years ago in terms of the energy in the building. But last night beat it hands down. I'm still hoarse from the cheering. My daughter even made it onto the Jumbotron cheering at the end of the game.

Funny story, though. We bought each of my two boys new hats at the Blueline before the start of the game. We even joked that they would lose them if there was a hat trick. You should have seen their faces when I took them from their heads to launch them onto the ice. Oh well... $112 later, they still have new hats and a memory that hopefully will last them quite a while.

I realized last night that I'm feeling something I've never felt before as a Jacket's fan: confidence. I know that can be dangerous and often disappointing as a fan of the CBJ. But I truly believe these boys can compete with anyone in the league. Thank you Mr. Arniel.

Speaking of "thank you's," is it too early to start voting for next year's all star game? I think there's going to be a kid named Calvert there.

Anyway, it was an unbelievable night. I'm still riding the wave from it.

zmancartfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
that wave was no joke
Sorry, the wave was a joke in the '80s, and has only gotten less funny as the years have passed. Hate it.

Nonetheless, carry on.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:20 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Welcome, zmancartfan! Most excellent first post and a great family story to be shared for years!

Old
02-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Sorry, the wave was a joke in the '80s, and has only gotten less funny as the years have passed. Hate it.

Nonetheless, carry on.
agreed...i protested it...

that said...what a game...we need to keep this never say die attitude up!!!

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmancartfan View Post
Hi everybody. Been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. Don't shoot me, please.

Been a Jackets fan for the last 10 years. I've been trying to make at least one game a year, but after leaving Columbus in 2002 and now living in the Cleveland area with three kids makes it hard some years to make the trek. The whole family made it last night, though, - all 7 of us - even though the winter storm earlier in the day threatened to keep us home and missing the game due to the stupid Cavaliers on the local FSN.

Anyway, I have to say that last night's game was the single most fun sporting event I've ever been to. The previous best was a victory over the Sabres 4 years ago in terms of the energy in the building. But last night beat it hands down. I'm still hoarse from the cheering. My daughter even made it onto the Jumbotron cheering at the end of the game.

Funny story, though. We bought each of my two boys new hats at the Blueline before the start of the game. We even joked that they would lose them if there was a hat trick. You should have seen their faces when I took them from their heads to launch them onto the ice. Oh well... $112 later, they still have new hats and a memory that hopefully will last them quite a while.

I realized last night that I'm feeling something I've never felt before as a Jacket's fan: confidence. I know that can be dangerous and often disappointing as a fan of the CBJ. But I truly believe these boys can compete with anyone in the league. Thank you Mr. Arniel.

Speaking of "thank you's," is it too early to start voting for next year's all star game? I think there's going to be a kid named Calvert there.

Anyway, it was an unbelievable night. I'm still riding the wave from it.

Welcome to the board. Since you are in the Cleveland area, is the Jackets coverage in the Plain dealer any better? The Cinci Enquirer does a pretty good job covering the CBJ, but I have heard in the past that the PD pretty much ignores them.

Just curious.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:36 AM
zmancartfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Welcome to the board. Since you are in the Cleveland area, is the Jackets coverage in the Plain dealer any better? The Cinci Enquirer does a pretty good job covering the CBJ, but I have heard in the past that the PD pretty much ignores them.

Just curious.
Coverage up here for anything other than Buckeyes football frankly sucks worse than Commodore's rapport with Arniel. You'll be lucky to get a box score in the PD for the CBJ.

We only get the FSN North feed up here, too. Anytime the Cavaliers are playing, we miss the Jackets coverage altogether. I even tried to order the Center Ice package last year and was informed that my local cable compay doesn't carry it... even though it showed up in their guide. Would love to go back to DirecTV, but with 7 TVs in the house, it's not financally feasible.

Sorry for the rant. But to answer your question -- you are correct. The PD ignores the CBJ.

Believe it or not, I get most of my Jackets news from right here.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Heinze 57

I've come to believe that Cleveland as a whole and anyone who grew up there pretty much treats hockey as if it were arena football, MLS, WNBA, etc. It's a shame because I've watched both the NBA and NHL extensively and the NHL is by far the superior product, but Clevelanders have always had this strange minor league point of view toward the sport. They don't know what they're missing, but they refuse to even give it a try. It's annoying.

I don't think I've ever been more pleased by attending a Blue Jackets game, which is made even better by the fact that the night started out about as poorly as it could have.

A group of guys (about 10 dudes) who I know from college and who are still in college texted me at 3:30 and told me they were going to the Jackets game that night. They all live in Athens which as you know is about an hour and a half drive from Columbus. I made plans to meet them outside the ticket booth and we'd all go to the game together.

The morons that I call my friends left in three cars and all without tickets. One car made it to Columbus at a reasonable 5:45, the other two didn't leave Athens until 5:45 so only three guys actually made it to the 7:00 puck drop. Even if they had managed to get from Athens to Columbus in an hour fifteen minutes there wouldn't have been any cheap tickets at 7 left to buy.

My work went long so I wasn't able to get to the arena until 6:45. By then all the tickets were gone. With most of my buddies at a bar on the other side of town, being downtown 30 minutes from home, and not being able to sit with my guys who were in the arena I decided that I still wanted to get inside. I bought a ticket from a scalper (something I've only done once before) for $40, which I thought was a steal for the seat on the ticket.

this is where I sat

section 120 row D seat 4

So I sat alone and felt admittedly lame for being by myself, but the people around me were incredibly knowledgeable about the game and were fun to talk to. They were completely understanding and were honestly more fun to watch the game with than my friends would've been.

The atmosphere was incredible. It reminded me of pre-lockout Nationwide. You gotta love the boys going down 2-0 and not being phased by it. I looked at them and they weren't even worried. They're playing with so much confidence right now that it's so fun to watch. If I had to point to one thing that won us the game, I think they won the game on the forecheck. The 4th goal (Calvert's second) should've left the zone twice, and once we regained it we lost the puck to a PHX defenseman and then regained it again which set up the out of midair Calvert goal.

We looked like a real NHL team last night, like a good NHL team. It's unfortunate that our December and January were so bad because a couple more wins in that dismal stretch and we'd be in 5th or 6th right now.
I'm really glad I decided to go because that was one of the best games I've been to in 10 years of going to CBJ games.

Last edited by Heinze 57: 02-26-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Heinze 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Coverage up here for anything other than Buckeyes football frankly sucks worse than Commodore's rapport with Arniel. You'll be lucky to get a box score in the PD for the CBJ.

We only get the FSN North feed up here, too. Anytime the Cavaliers are playing, we miss the Jackets coverage altogether. I even tried to order the Center Ice package last year and was informed that my local cable compay doesn't carry it... even though it showed up in their guide. Would love to go back to DirecTV, but with 7 TVs in the house, it's not financally feasible.

Sorry for the rant. But to answer your question -- you are correct. The PD ignores the CBJ.

That is a shame. I notice that the Akron paper isn't much better. Neither they, or the PD even have an NHL link. You would think that as high school hockey crazy as NW Ohio is that there would be more NHL coverage.

Funny that Cincinnati gives the Jackets way better coverage than northern Ohio.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:24 AM
zmancartfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post

Funny that Cincinnati gives the Jackets way better coverage than northern Ohio.
I wonder how much of that has to with the fact that the primary FSN feed for the Jackets (FSN-South) comes from Cincy? Guess they figure that if the TV station carries it, people might be watching it.

In my experience, it's not just hockey that NE Ohio ignores. They pretty much ignore every other city in Ohio that starts with a C other than Canton. People up here are still holding on to the notion that they are the most superior city in the state. They pretty much remind me of the high school quarterback still driving the same 1988 Camaro.

Can you tell I miss Columbus?

Old
02-26-2011, 10:31 AM
RickS

Quote:

Nonetheless, carry on.
Wow, such a grumpy old guy the morning after a glorious victory.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I was getting ready for a hattie after the 1st period because I thought RJ got that 2nd goal. I was let down when I found out Jake was credited with the goal.

But it was in the air for the taking. Luckily #11 grabbed it.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
wahsnairb

Quote:

Nonetheless, carry on.
my date and I refused to participate because we are just "too cool" for such things, but it was impressive how many people did participate.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Quote:

Time Warner Cable in Cleveland now shows all of the CBJ games. Channels 309 and 1309 (HD) are the main FSN channels that the CBJ are on when there is no Cavs game. When there is a Cavs game, the CBJ are on 310 and/or 1310 (HD)

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:48 PM
zmancartfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
Time Warner Cable in Cleveland now shows all of the CBJ games. Channels 309 and 1309 (HD) are the main FSN channels that the CBJ are on when there is no Cavs game. When there is a Cavs game, the CBJ are on 310 and/or 1310 (HD)
Too bad I have Armstrong in Medina.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 50
Quote:
my date and I refused to participate because we are just "too cool" for such things, but it was impressive how many people did participate.
Were you the two in Section 205 with the Red Wings jackets on?

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
wahsnairb

matty calvert!
brad richards!!
scott arniel!!!!!!!
craig rivet?

those are my thoughts for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Were you the two in Section 205 with the Red Wings jackets on?
disgusting

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Too bad I have Armstrong in Medina.
Welcome, zman. I am a two-year former Medina resident of 20-ish years ago. It was a great little town when I was there. I hope it remains thus. Haven't even been up there for a half-dozen years or so.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 50
Quote:
matty calvert!
brad richards!!
scott arniel!!!!!!!
craig rivet?

those are my thoughts for the day.

disgusting
So you are not denying this?

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:36 PM
zmancartfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Welcome, zman. I am a two-year former Medina resident of 20-ish years ago. It was a great little town when I was there. I hope it remains thus. Haven't even been up there for a half-dozen years or so.
It's still a nice little town, but from what I understand, it's not quite a sleepy as it used to be. It's turned into a fairly typical suburb. We've been here about 8 years, and it's not a horrible place to be. In fact, if it wasn't for the weather, I'd probably actually like it.

Old
02-26-2011, 03:58 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Wow, such a grumpy old guy the morning after a glorious victory.
No, you're not getting your ball back, ya little punk.

Old
02-26-2011, 04:05 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 163
Quote:

Nonetheless, carry on.
However 'uncool' it is, it was cool nonetheless to see the crowd acting as one. I'll take what I can get.