HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL tonight

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 02:02 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
NHL tonight

That was the only show on ESPN with any redeaming features. they had a good staff that cared about the game. That is probably why ESPN got rid of them. What is Melrose going to do now. Hopefully some other show in the States will give him a Job. ESPN SUCKS. :mad:

Old
07-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Til the End of Time

I loved NHL 2Night, and I was sad to see the show go. But you can't expect ESPN to keep on a show on a sport that is a losing proposition. Sure, we are dedicated hockey fans, and would rather watch NHL 2Night than bass fishing or whatever.

ESPN owes hockey nothing. They did it for the ratings, which is their job.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:24 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
I loved NHL 2Night, and I was sad to see the show go. But you can't expect ESPN to keep on a show on a sport that is a losing proposition. Sure, we are dedicated hockey fans, and would rather watch NHL 2Night than bass fishing or whatever.

ESPN owes hockey nothing. They did it for the ratings, which is their job.
I understand that its all about ratings which begs another question. When is Hockey going to get some quality marketing people so we can start letting a bigger percentage of the people in the states know the obvious. Its the best game in the world hands down

Old
07-01-2004, 05:32 PM
StevenintheATL

I guess they dropped NHL2Night so they could add some more taped coverage of the World Series of Poker (stupid idea, since the diehard poker fans already know who won it anyway) or Women's Pro Billards or maybe even the PBA.

Old
07-02-2004, 01:37 AM
PsychoDeli

Send a message via AIM to PsychoDeli
ESPN pisses me off... It seems like all they do now-a-days is overhype the NBA.

:mad:

Old
07-02-2004, 02:17 AM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
jeeeeeeeesus as I have stated before the thing that pisses me off most about this is not that I won't egt to see the show again, altohugh I do love it and wish it wouldn't be cancellled, but the fact that ESPN is taking all NHL realted material from the air..... that's the worst part

Old
07-02-2004, 02:27 AM
BrooklynCanuck

Buccigross is the man. His editorials are hilarious, I pray they don't get cancelled.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Til the End of Time

Myself, I hold Gary Bettman entirely responsible for the failure of NHL 2NIGHT and the unemployment of Barry Melrose.

I have seen Buccigross doing Baseball Tonight, I think. He brings up hockey at every opportunity, which I don't think his baseball colleagues enjoy.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:18 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
They dropped NHL2Night because all of the 2Night shows are getting canned.

I swear, some of you like to complain just for the sake of complaining.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:32 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Myself, I hold Gary Bettman entirely responsible for the failure of NHL 2NIGHT and the unemployment of Barry Melrose.

I have seen Buccigross doing Baseball Tonight, I think. He brings up hockey at every opportunity, which I don't think his baseball colleagues enjoy.
Bettman rivals Bud Selig for the worst Commisioner in Pro sports. I hate that SOB.

Old
07-02-2004, 02:34 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
They dropped NHL2Night because all of the 2Night shows are getting canned.

I swear, some of you like to complain just for the sake of complaining.
Are we suppost to turn cartwheels about it?

Old
07-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
if you dotn like espn unsubscribe

and organize a group to unsubscribe if you get a 100 peopel to pull the plug on espn they will assume every person represents a 100 more andso on and so on

Old
07-02-2004, 10:01 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Bettman rivals Bud Selig for the worst Commisioner in Pro sports. I hate that SOB.
Uh, what did Bud Selig do to compare him to a guy that put the NHL in the situation it's in today?

Old
07-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Til the End of Time

Selig gave home field advantage in the world series to the winner of the all-star game.

That single move dwarves anything Bettman ever did.

Last edited by Til the End of Time: 07-02-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old
07-02-2004, 10:49 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

While I agree that was a dumb move (it wouldn't be half bad if they took the vote away from the fans), I fail to see how that even compares to Bettman over-expanding in the NHL, and being the single biggest contributor to all the economic problems the league currently has.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Til the End of Time

The home field advantage rule, instituted by Selig, is extremely stupid. There are no benefits to the rule.

In hindsight it is easy to say how idiotic expansion was in the NHL. But at the time, it did not seem like such a bad idea. Bettman gets too much flak for the NHLs problems. Bettman's moves generally have some reasoning behind them. Selig's do not.

Hence I think Selig is dumber and worse commisioner. Baseball has not struggled during his tenure as much as the NHL has during Bettman's time, but that is not Bettman's fault.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:36 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
if you dotn like espn unsubscribe

and organize a group to unsubscribe if you get a 100 peopel to pull the plug on espn they will assume every person represents a 100 more andso on and so on
Its free on my cable. So i just dont watch it much. I couldn dump my entire cable package. Your premice is good though if I could just dump ESPN I would. I have NHL center ice for my Hockey.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:37 PM
c-carp

Quote:

Good, I hope he puts a bug up their ass.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:39 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Uh, what did Bud Selig do to compare him to a guy that put the NHL in the situation it's in today?
He almost lead baseball into a second lockout. The salaries there big market vs small market are just as bad. I think he qualifies.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:41 PM
c-carp

Quote:
While I agree that was a dumb move (it wouldn't be half bad if they took the vote away from the fans), I fail to see how that even compares to Bettman over-expanding in the NHL, and being the single biggest contributor to all the economic problems the league currently has.
I agree that All Star games as a rule are a joke. But they are a marketing tool. The vote should still be done by the fans, a player we like is going to get snubbed from time to time. Who cares.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:43 PM
c-carp

Quote:
The home field advantage rule, instituted by Selig, is extremely stupid. There are no benefits to the rule.

In hindsight it is easy to say how idiotic expansion was in the NHL. But at the time, it did not seem like such a bad idea. Bettman gets too much flak for the NHLs problems. Bettman's moves generally have some reasoning behind them. Selig's do not.

Hence I think Selig is dumber and worse commisioner. Baseball has not struggled during his tenure as much as the NHL has during Bettman's time, but that is not Bettman's fault.
Baseball was in pretty bad shape before the McGwire-Sosa home run chase. Some would say Selig and Baseball just got lucky.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:

Maybe NBC will hire the both of them to do an intermission show?

Btw, is that Onslaught in your avatar?

Closed Thread