HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Sturm waived, then claimed by Washington

Old
02-25-2011, 06:15 PM
tantrum4*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Yeah, I don't understand the Sturm acquisition. Whenever its debated, some Kings fans answer unfailingly is "we got him for nothing, so that means its a good deal."

Well, no its not. We acquired a guy who wasn't even ready to go, who isn't even a better option than the players we already have in the system. Now he's taking up a roster spot that we need in order to trade for somebody at the deadline. If you need a player to help your team in the midst of your playoff push immediately.. Why would you go trade for a player who can't even PLAY right away?

And on top of that your excuse is going to be "give him some time?"

Bottom line: I hate everything about the Sturm trade.
9 points in 17 games is better than a lot of players in the NHL. Yes even Loktionov..

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:17 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
As much as you guys don't value his play, depth is something that will be pretty important moving forward. The Kings have absolutely no one else to use on the left side which is why the Kings were desperate enough to trade for him the first place. Who else are they going to put in his spot IF he is claimed and the Kings don't make a move for a left wing? Dwight King? Scott Parse? I'm sure you guys probably feel the same, if not, worse about him. Somebody else from Manchester?
This.

Moller. Loktionov. Even Loktionov on the LW > Sturm.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
This.

Umm..the numbers say no

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
There are a few negative things about the Sturm trade, and NOTHING positive. Nobody will claim Sturm so he probably will still be in the line up potentially for the rest of the season. Unless TM wakes up and just healthy scratches him, which he wont because he has this false belief that because Sturm is a "seasoned veteran" that he helps the team. He doesn't.

Negative things about getting Sturm:

- He's not very good right now at all by any means, and he's in the line up.

- He takes ice time away from players that can actually HELP us i.e. Loktionov/Moller.

- We all know he won't be sent to Manchester OR be claimed, therefore, binding us from icing the best possible hockey team we can ice.
First of all, Loktionov isn't losing ice time because of Sturm. Loktionov did not play nearly as well on the wing as he was when he played center. Secondly, Moller hasn't been up on the big club all season so this idea that he is some how taking away ice time from him is nonsense.

I'm not sure how he is keeping the Kings from icing the best possible team. Were the Kings better with Dwight King on the top line? How about Alexei "i might show up this game, maybe not the next" ponikarovsky? Or how about Oscar Moller who has played zero games with the Kings the season and I'll go out on a limb and predict that if Sturm doesn't clear, we won't be seeing him in LA. Not sure wher his name came from. Or how about injured Scott Parse? I'm sure you probably have similar feelings for him. Unfortunately, the Kings need Sturm on the roster if they don't intend on making a trade. Even if it is just for depth.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:22 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
There are a few negative things about the Sturm trade, and NOTHING positive.
OK... enough already.

Aside from that sentence not making sense, your opinions are lacking any sort of measured response (it's either terrific, or it sucks) which makes it extremely difficult for anyone to take your opinions seriously. Saying there are no positives is completely ridiculous and untrue.

This is all aside from the fact that we acquired Sturm for nothing. There was no real assets given up to get him. Calling it a trade is a misnomer.

Has he been performing below average? Yes. Is he the dead weight you're implying? Of course not.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Last edited by TonySCV: 02-25-2011 at 06:29 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
This.

Yeah.. good ole Oscar Moller who has played zero NHL games this season. You've got to be kidding. Again, depth is something the Kings could use given how thin they already are.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I miss nothing!
I heard Nothing and Cap Space had some locker room issues. Obviously management was going to side with our MVP so that is why Nothing was sent to Boston.

Quote:
Yeah.. good ole Oscar Moller who has played zero NHL games this season. You've got to be kidding. Again, depth is something the Kings could use given how thin they already are.
Moller has played this season.

And he was better than Sturm.

Last edited by TonySCV: 02-25-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: merged
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

Ok.. fair enough. I don't even remember the game(s) he played in. That is how memorable he was. However, I still don't see how acquiring Sturm or having him on the roster is/was a detriment to the team. That is just nonsense.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Umm..the numbers say no
Yeah... That goal he scored was SICK when Kopitar shot it off his back. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the saucer pass he sent to Kopitar that somehow went in in San Jose. Numbers lie. Not all the time, but in Sturms case if you can't see that the numbers lie.. Then I don't know what to tell you.

And somebody else already pointed it out.. But, Buddy.. Moller has 3 points in 4 games this season and looked good. Looked way better than Sturm ever has for us.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
And somebody else already pointed it out.. But, Buddy.. Moller has 3 points in 4 games this season and looked good. Looked way better than Sturm ever has for us.
Ok.. but you made the statement that Sturm is preventing him from getting ice time. I don't even think he plays on the left side but assuming he does, the Kings could have recalled him at any point during the season to play more than 4 games. Marco Sturm has zero to do with Moller getting ice time with the Kings.

Quote:
And he absolutely is dead weight. He's useless for us. Boston HOSED us on that deal as far as I'm concerned.
lol! Yeah I'm sure they raise beer prices to accomodate his salary right? Even if the only thing Sturm contributed was allowing Kopitar to shoot the puck of his back for a goal, that is a lot more than the zero-point-zero the Kings gave Boston for him.

Old
02-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Yeah... That goal he scored was SICK when Kopitar shot it off his back. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the saucer pass he sent to Kopitar that somehow went in in San Jose. Numbers lie. Not all the time, but in Sturms case if you can't see that the numbers lie.. Then I don't know what to tell you.

lol - sometimes when I read this board I can feel my brain cells dying

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Just a quick chime-in reading some posts above, Moller was up briefly but it's pretty clear that he is a forgotten man vis-a-vis the big club. Murray says conciliatory things about him and his past contributions but overall it's clear he doesn't think he fits in this system and equally clear that he is correct.

Loktionov was playing out of necessity, they were ready to try Parse and he got hurt. Murray has said unequivocally that he does not want to confuse Schenn or Loktionov in their development, that they are centermen, and, unsurprisingly, he is also right about that. He may not be Scotty Bowman but he knows his team, he just cannot control every single thing about it.

The numbers on Sturm are OK but he gets good ice time, let's face it he hasn't been skating full speed ever as a King and speed is a big part of his game. He plays with good linemates pretty consistently and the guy is a pro but he's been a shell of himself, he hasn't been serviceable in nearly as many situations (vis-a-vis special teams as well as game situations) and he has been a disappointment.

I could also be saying most of these things about Ponikarovsky, only his injuries have not been as serious and he hasn't even put up numbers that could fool someone into thinking he's fared OK. In both instances, the moves were ill-timed, price-is-right deals if you ask me. They waited out the Kovalchuk situation and no one was left on the winger market with Poni, they had a deficiency that was exacerbated by injury and spent a month making a move that was long overdue and could have been more effective had they waited another week or two.

That said, they are still a winning hockey club with a bright future and deadline flexibility, so they are also doing a lot of things right.

02-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
lol - sometimes when I read this board I can feel my brain cells dying
Come on.

Sturm was pretty useless here. And that is why he is on waivers. He probably won't be claimed because he isn't a good hockey player at this point in time. He won't be back in LA and maybe even in the NHL at all.

Sturm was essentially a waiver pickup for the Kings, so it was no risk. But this team did pay Marco Sturm about 2 million bucks and he has taken a roster spot that really should be taken by a guy like Moller or Loktionov.

Marco Sturm is on par with Anson Carter and Jan Nemecek on the Kings all-time best players list.

Old
02-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Just a quick chime-in reading some posts above, Moller was up briefly but it's pretty clear that he is a forgotten man vis-a-vis the big club. Murray says conciliatory things about him and his past contributions but overall it's clear he doesn't think he fits in this system and equally clear that he is correct.

Loktionov was playing out of necessity, they were ready to try Parse and he got hurt. Murray has said unequivocally that he does not want to confuse Schenn or Loktionov in their development, that they are centermen, and, unsurprisingly, he is also right about that. He may not be Scotty Bowman but he knows his team, he just cannot control every single thing about it.

The numbers on Sturm are OK but he gets good ice time, let's face it he hasn't been skating full speed ever as a King and speed is a big part of his game. He plays with good linemates pretty consistently and the guy is a pro but he's been a shell of himself, he hasn't been serviceable in nearly as many situations (vis-a-vis special teams as well as game situations) and he has been a disappointment.

I could also be saying most of these things about Ponikarovsky, only his injuries have not been as serious and he hasn't even put up numbers that could fool someone into thinking he's fared OK. In both instances, the moves were ill-timed, price-is-right deals if you ask me. They waited out the Kovalchuk situation and no one was left on the winger market with Poni, they had a deficiency that was exacerbated by injury and spent a month making a move that was long overdue and could have been more effective had they waited another week or two.

That said, they are still a winning hockey club with a bright future and deadline flexibility, so they are also doing a lot of things right.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Tbagger

Quote:
Ok.. fair enough. I don't even remember the game(s) he played in. That is how memorable he was. However, I still don't see how acquiring Sturm or having him on the roster is/was a detriment to the team. That is just nonsense.
The only reason you remember the games Sturm played was it was him coming back off an injury. And then you thought, "Oh yeah, that Sturm guy. I forgot the King acquired him."

Tbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
As long as Poni and Sturm keep Westgarth in the press box, I'm happy.

Clifford-Lewis-Poni is a solid playoff fourth line.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Come on.

Sturm was pretty useless here. And that is why he is on waivers. He probably won't be claimed because he isn't a good hockey player at this point in time. He won't be back in LA and maybe even in the NHL at all.
Come on yourself, Sturm will be playing tomorrow against the Avs and will finish the season on the Kings and be on the roster for the playoffs.

While he's not yet 100%, he's actually not embarrassing himself either, but is more or less holding his own on a team that is indeed winning games -- and anyway the Kings don't really have a whole lot of other legit LW options unless/until a trade is made.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Marco Sturm is this decade's Erik Rasmussen, Steve Heinze, Randy Robitaille and Trent Klatt. Taylor was roasted (and rightfully so) for acquiring players like this and expecting them to be Top 6 forwards.

Sorry if "well he is not embarrassing himself" is not the level that some of us expect from a player who is playing in a Top 6 role.

And yes, he will be on the Kings roster because no one else in the NHL wants him. Even though all he would cost is $1 million for the rest of the season and playoffs. Sorry but that's pretty telling.

I have no problem with the original deal, was hoping maybe he could be a somewhat productive player. But it's obvious at this point, because of the surgeries that he isn't a very good NHL player.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
I heard Nothing and Cap Space had some locker room issues. Obviously management was going to side with our MVP so that is why Nothing was sent to Boston.

Well but Nothing brought his friend Capspace with him who is the best friend of Kaberle.
So the Boston got a huge upgrade and the Kings resigned their MVP "Nothing"

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Moller is the only top six option left in Manchester. It's been reported that Loktionov could be done for the season with an injury suffered tonight.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/02/25...for-loktionov/

Last edited by Sydor25: 02-25-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old
02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Marco Sturm is this decade's Erik Rasmussen, Steve Heinze, Randy Robitaille and Trent Klatt. Taylor was roasted (and rightfully so) for acquiring players like this and expecting them to be Top 6 forwards.

Sorry if "well he is not embarrassing himself" is not the level that some of us expect from a player who is playing in a Top 6 role.

And yes, he will be on the Kings roster because no one else in the NHL wants him. Even though all he would cost is $1 million for the rest of the season and playoffs. Sorry but that's pretty telling.

I have no problem with the original deal, was hoping maybe he could be a somewhat productive player. But it's obvious at this point, because of the surgeries that he isn't a very good NHL player.
All I can say is "Yeah, we'll see."

I've seen him play plenty in the past and have no doubt that Sturm has the ability, the experience, the brains, the character and the motivation to improve from here and regain his form as a scoring winger, also he is not so old that he can't get his game back.

So I do expect him to improve from here forward. Knowing Sturm I cannot be quite as pessimistic as you are.

I am not convinced anymore that Moller is an adequate alternative, I wish I could say otherwise. This whole discussion might change anyway, depending on whether the Kings make a trade and for whom.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Sturm has the ability to play on any line. That is the depth needed for a playoff run. The more 20 goal scorers you can put in the lineup the better.

This Kings have an NHL 20 goal scorer on every line. If Doughty and Johnson can start putting goals on the board more consistently, the Kings could make some noise.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

I guess the other thing I would say in defense of Sturm is, truly, what are the better options? Realistically I don't see any, barring a trade. It's easy to roast the game of a player coming off a major injury, but I don't see how it helps anything to be so hasty to write him off without putting a better option in place -- that would have to come in the form of some trade right here at the deadline.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

I guess the other thing I would say in defense of Sturm is, truly, what are the better options? Realistically I don't see any, barring a trade. It's easy to roast the game of a player coming off a major injury, but I don't see how it helps anything to be so hasty to write him off without putting a better option in place -- that would have to come in the form of some trade right here at the deadline.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:15 AM
sjmay*

Quote:

LOL this is classic,

First paragraph:NUMBERS LIE MAN, NUMBERS LIE!!!

Second paragraph: Here are the numbers on Moller...

Contradict yourself much?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote