HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Aquaman contacted stern about NBA team in Vancouver?

Old
02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
TorontoSports

vCash: 500
OT- Aquaman contacted stern about NBA team in Vancouver?

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?...155&autoplay=0

If you listen from 26:50 and on.. Stern says he has had contact from people in Vancouver said the Canucks are doing a spectacular job. I bet the rich bros want another tenant for GM Place. Lost of NBA teams to be had.

Last edited by TorontoSports: 02-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.
TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Hammer79

The NBA's numbers have dropped dramatically post-Jordan. The number of Americans naming the NBA as their #1 favorite league has been cut in half, and they are now neck-and-neck with the NHL. They haven't been shy about relocating franchises, and I think the bad will is starting to catch up with them. That, and they basically have no presence in the Pacific NW outside of Portland, which is probably costing them a lot more in merchandising, ratings etc. than they anticipated.

Of course, if the NBA demonstrates zero backbone when it comes to dealing with the players, we'll just run into the same problems again. IMO, the league should have suspended Francis until he reported to Vancouver as opposed to allowing him to dictate a trade which returned well below market value. He was a rookie ffs, make him pay his dues for a few years!

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Lard_Lad

The Province writers were talking about this a lot in their pregame webchat this afternoon. Gallagher implied Francesco Aquilini is seriously interested.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
nucks_07

i remember reading an artical a few years ago that he put in a major offer for the pacers

would love a team back in van

nucks_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Shouldn't the thread title read "NBA team in Vancouver"? I'm confused.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:56 PM
M A K A V E L I*

I wouldn't mind having the Hornets relocated to Vancouver. They are an above average team and with Chris Paul, they would be an easy enough sell.

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Red

I used to be a huge NBA fan (moreso than NHL) but after the way they treated Vancouver last time, and watching the league just get worse and worse...no thanks.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Barney Gumble

F-U Stern & Michael Heisley.

Already screwed us big time once. Find yourself some other sucker.

BTW - let's see how "good" the Memphis Grizzlies are doing attendance-wise:

This season: 5th *LAST* in the league
Last season: 3rd *LAST* in the league
Season before that: 2nd *LAST* in the league
and the season before that: 2nd *LAST* in the league
and the season before that: *LAST* in the league

but hey, they're on a upswing!

Elvis has left the building....

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
VanEric

The league's been rejuvenated lately for me with a lot of young talent plus an influx of European players who play a more team oriented game. Everyone isn't trying to get on Sportscenter anymore.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulence View Post
Shouldn't the thread title read "NBA team in Vancouver"? I'm confused.
I'm thinking (I didn't listen to the show) that he inquired about purchasing the Sonics before they were moved to Oklahoma?

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
KDizzle

**** the NBA.

It would never work in Canada. The Raptors came close a few years back (not to the championship, but to building an attractive destination), but ultimately the whiny NBA players got their way (Tmac, Vince, Bosh, etc.). Now they're a mess.

Vancouver would fare much worse. You can't get spoiled, ignorant, American basketball players to come to Canada; you can barely get them to play in a small market American team. Unfortunately, that's what you need to succeed in the league, an American superstar. It's a league of individuals, really, and there's no parity to speak of. A small market team rarely ever does anything (San Antonio for whatever reason is the exception). But, generally speaking, as long as you're not a big sports market with a storied history, good luck winning anything and attracting fans.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:22 PM
JBIZ14

This thread is playing with my emotions. Huge basketball fan (played ball in college) and I was a huge Sonics/Grizzlies fan who has been destroyed by the NBA and refuse to even really watch it...exception is the Celts in the playoffs.

I would love to see basketball back in Vancouver but none of this expansion ********...a real team with established players. Rogers arena would be insane for a NBA playoff game.

Vancouver Nighthawks please

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
**** the NBA.

It would never work in Canada. The Raptors came close a few years back (not to the championship, but to building an attractive destination), but ultimately the whiny NBA players got their way (Tmac, Vince, Bosh, etc.). Now they're a mess.

Vancouver would fare much worse. You can't get spoiled, ignorant, American basketball players to come to Canada; you can barely get them to play in a small market American team. Unfortunately, that's what you need to succeed in the league, an American superstar. It's a league of individuals, really, and there's no parity to speak of. A small market team rarely ever does anything (San Antonio for whatever reason is the exception). But, generally speaking, as long as you're not a big sports market with a storied history, good luck winning anything and attracting fans.
If players are willing to play in Utah of all places, then why not Vancouver? Winning and a positive reputation is important, and that's what attracts players to teams.

Joseph Smith would agree.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Melrose Munch

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6125242

I vote yes. Lets put Van City on the map. Montreal had their chance.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6125242

I vote yes. Lets put Van City on the map. Montreal had their chance.
Agreed. The French do not deserve basketball.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 15539
If you want a local flavour, B-Mac and Sekeres talked a lot about it today. Pretty interesting.

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/bmac..._15_Hour3~.mp3

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
**** the NBA.

I'm curious, I don't follow basketball and would have no intentions too, Vancouver team or not, but with someone above mentioning a large influx of more team orientated players from Europe (I'd imagine Asia too), could a Canadian team find success by focusing on these sorts of players? Some pampered American stars may complain about Vancouver being cold and wet, and likely have never considered the possibility of playing in a different country, but I'd think we'd be a much more attractive destination for international talent than the large majority of most American NBA cities.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durr View Post
If players are willing to play in Utah of all places, then why not Vancouver? Winning and a positive reputation is important, and that's what attracts players to teams.

Quote:
"Toronto's a great place, a fantastic city," Bosh told the Herald. "It's a metropolitan area, but you could tell you're somewhere different. You could feel it, you could look at it, you can smell it. Everything. All your senses tell you you're somewhere different."
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=328768

The NBA is so image and marketing based at this point. Playing in Utah is bad enough but playing for a team in a foreign country where you're never on ESPN is just not acceptable for a lot of guys. It's a sad reality.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:46 PM
canada1824

Send a message via Skype™ to canada1824
ESPN promotes the NBA like their lives depend on it, and even then, it isn't really that big outside the Heat, Celtics, the Lakers, and Dallas. College Basketball rules America, NBA is really behind in that arena.

Vancouver getting a team would be awesome, do I see it happening? doubt it, Kansas City needs a team badly

canada1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:58 PM
JAK

NBA needs a real salary cap first, and then a re-written CBA.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
The NBA's numbers have dropped dramatically post-Jordan. The number of Americans naming the NBA as their #1 favorite league has been cut in half, and they are now neck-and-neck with the NHL. They haven't been shy about relocating franchises, and I think the bad will is starting to catch up with them. That, and they basically have no presence in the Pacific NW outside of Portland, which is probably costing them a lot more in merchandising, ratings etc. than they anticipated.

Of course, if the NBA demonstrates zero backbone when it comes to dealing with the players, we'll just run into the same problems again. IMO, the league should have suspended Francis until he reported to Vancouver as opposed to allowing him to dictate a trade which returned well below market value. He was a rookie ffs, make him pay his dues for a few years!
I don't think a new NBA team would work in Vancouver in terms of getting a winner.

NBA is a player's league, plain and simple. We saw that with Jerry Sloan resigning from Utah last week.

As such, the vast majority of NBA players want to play in only a handful of markets.

LA Lakers - glamour and lifestyle
Miami Heat - night life
Orlando Magic - weather, FLA no state tax
Boston - big market
New York - big market

Eventually, after the Nets move to Brooklyn, I think they will be a major player for players.

Phoenix and Dallas, would be in the bottom of that group IMO.

NBA is all about being able to attract players to your city. If Toronto can't get players, I don't see Vancouver being able to attract players.

Only chance of a NBA succeeding in Vancouver, is if they end up drafting a superstar with the personality of a Durant or Duncan, top end talents, but don't seek out the spotlight. But, they don't seem as plentiful as the James, Bosh, Stoudamire, etc. who wouldn't mind moving to a bigger market team.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

I'd like to see it but it won't work in Canada until there's a real CBA + salary cap

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:50 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm curious, I don't follow basketball and would have no intentions too, Vancouver team or not, but with someone above mentioning a large influx of more team orientated players from Europe (I'd imagine Asia too), could a Canadian team find success by focusing on these sorts of players? Some pampered American stars may complain about Vancouver being cold and wet, and likely have never considered the possibility of playing in a different country, but I'd think we'd be a much more attractive destination for international talent than the large majority of most American NBA cities.
Look at the Raptors right now.
Colangelo came in and realized he couldn't attract marquee American players (he already had Bosh).

So he started to sign/draft Euros.

Bargnani, Calderon, Nesterovic, Turgkolu, Kleiza, Barbosa (not Euro, but Brazilian), even Peja Stojakovic (although he's recently been released).

Signed Anthony Parker from the Israeli leagues, too, although he's an American.

He's also drafted Americans in DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis, so it's not like he's only targeting Euros, but primarily, he's been trying to attract a multinational squad that caters to the multiculturalism of Toronto.

It's a decent strategy... but ultimately you need that superstar-type player, which I don't think a Canadian city can keep long enough to build anything meaningful.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy basketball, I'm just not a big fan of the league. I occasionally follow the Raptors and want them to do well, but outside of that, I really don't have a clue what's going on. If Vancouver ever gets a team again, I'd hop on that bandwagon for sure, but I just know it won't be successful given the current attitude of the league and its best players.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Meganuck*

**** YOU to the NBA and their garbage product. Who the hell wants a team here that noone wants to play for? We'd be the Oilers of the NBA. Besides, the same 4-5 teams are competitive every year and everyone else is on the outside.

The NBA game and product is terrible right now and not entertaining in any way.

I'd rather have MLB here. And I dont even watch Baseball.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
**** YOU to the NBA and their garbage product. Who the hell wants a team here that noone wants to play for? We'd be the Oilers of the NBA. Besides, the same 4-5 teams are competitive every year and everyone else is on the outside.

The NBA game and product is terrible right now and not entertaining in any way.

I'd rather have MLB here. And I dont even watch Baseball.
Nah, I love the Mariners. We don't need another lovable loser from the Pacific Northwest