HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Thorburn to Vancouver

Old
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
struckmatch

vCash: 500
Chris Thorburn to Vancouver

I don't know if Thrashers fans would even consider dealing Thorburn, but I think he would look great in the Canucks bottom 6.

What would his value be like for the Canucks to get him? Would you consider moving Anthony Stewart?

Doesn't seem likely but I thought I'd ask.

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
GCM
Stork

I want him more than Reasoner.

I think we could re-sign him, he can play center or wing, big body, throws hits, not a defensive liability.

Sounds like just what we could use.

He's way younger than Reasoner (27 < 33) and way cheaper (600K < 1.15M) which means he fits our cap situation better.

I'd give up our second for him tbqh.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:20 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
I want him more than Reasoner.

I think we could re-sign him, he can play center or wing, big body, throws hits, not a defensive liability.

Sounds like just what we could use.

He's way younger than Reasoner (27 < 33) and way cheaper (600K < 1.15M) which means he fits our cap situation better.

I'd give up our second for him tbqh.
Shirokov for Thorburn?

Is that too much for Thorburn, too little?

I'd rather keep picks, maybe a bigger deal involving Stewart and Thorburn?

Stewart and Thorburn for Shirokov and Tambellini? Maybe we add a 3rd?

Don't know at all about the value, but it would be great to have Thorburn or both him and Stewart.

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:29 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Not interested in moving him, useful bottom 6 guys are hard to find. He seems to be a favorite of the GM and coach as well.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:28 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
Shirokov for Thorburn?

Is that too much for Thorburn, too little?

I'd rather keep picks, maybe a bigger deal involving Stewart and Thorburn?

Stewart and Thorburn for Shirokov and Tambellini? Maybe we add a 3rd?

Don't know at all about the value, but it would be great to have Thorburn or both him and Stewart.
Shirokov is worth more than Thorburn so they would have to add.

Stewart + Thorburn is worth more than Shirkov so now we have to add

Tambo + Shirokov > Stewart + Thorburn. Let alone adding a third.

I think something around:

Shirokov, 3rd Round Pick for Stewart & Thorburn is fair value.

But now the problem becomes Vancouver's cap. Sending Hodgson and Oreo down gives us enough room I think, just barely.

ATL might do this. The incentive is sort of their. Shirkov has a lot of promise (I really want to keep him) and our 3rd is a late one (most likely). That's good value for the pair but is it enough to constitute a trade?

ATL could just keep the guys too, they're not pressured to trade. So they might want more value and then it starts looking bad for the Canucks to overpay for role players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Not interested in moving him, useful bottom 6 guys are hard to find. He seems to be a favorite of the GM and coach as well.
Understandable but he's hardly untouchable right? BTW are you talking about Stewart or Thorburn?

I think if the Canucks overpaid a bit that ATL would do it. Getting a pick for Thorburn who is a UFA this season as high as a third would be a good return for ATL if they can live without re-signing him.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Shirokov is worth more than Thorburn so they would have to add.

Stewart + Thorburn is worth more than Shirkov so now we have to add

Tambo + Shirokov > Stewart + Thorburn. Let alone adding a third.

I think something around:

Shirokov, 3rd Round Pick for Stewart & Thorburn is fair value.
You vastly overrate Shirokov and Tambellini and underrate Stewart and Thorburn.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
ManoWarrior

Shirokov for Thorburn is almost perfect value IMO, Van should maybe throw in like a 5th if Atlanta doesn't wanna trade Thorburn. Shirokov has top six skill and seems fairly likely to be a decent complementary second line player and a good powerplay guy and he is hungry to play in the NHL, so he shouldn't get the "Russian" stigma.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:00 PM
mstad101

Mason Raymond for Thorborn n Stewart?

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:00 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
Van should maybe throw in like a 5th if Atlanta doesn't wanna trade Thorburn.

How would a fifth round pick change a team's position from "we don't want to trade him" to "we want to trade him"? Is a fifth round pick the kind of asset that makes this an offer they can't refuse?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Kagee*

Shirokov could be the next Grabner! That would be a dangerous trade to make for the Canucks. As you know what your going to get with Thorburn, kinda slow, grinding checking winger.
With Shirokov the possibilities are endless, and just like Grabner, thanks to Raymond/Sammy, getting a top six spot is almost impossible.
Shiro can explode with points given the right opportunity.

It could be the next Naslund for Shawn Antoski(sp) type of deal, except this time the other way around for the Nucks.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Yeah coaches love him because he always gives 100% and has great hockey sense. He can play the pk, great even strength, can even play down low on the powerplay. Can play wing and is also a good center got better at faceoffs over the summer. Ramsay puts him out in every situation he will hit, fight, score, forecheck, backcheck, block shots the man can do everything one of my favorite thrashers I think they will lock him up multiyear when time comes.

I would want a second but it would have to be within the first 15 picks of the second round so that puts Vancouver out.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
Yeah coaches love him because he always gives 100% and has great hockey sense. He can play the pk, great even strength, can even play down low on the powerplay. Can play wing and is also a good center got better at faceoffs over the summer. Ramsay puts him out in every situation he will hit, fight, score, forecheck, backcheck, block shots the man can do everything one of my favorite thrashers I think they will lock him up multiyear when time comes.

I would want a second but it would have to be within the first 15 picks of the second round so that puts Vancouver out.
If Ruutu got a 6th, and Versteeg got basically a 2nd & 4th because its from Philly, I have hard time believing Thorburn is worth a 2nd, maybe a 3rd tops, especially considering he's a pending UFA.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
If Ruutu got a 6th, and Versteeg got basically a 2nd & 4th because its from Philly, I have hard time believing Thorburn is worth a 2nd, maybe a 3rd tops, especially considering he's a pending UFA.
that does everything I mentioned above and will do it for under 1 mil. Like o said he can do everything

Old
02-25-2011, 11:28 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

I really don't see Thorburn getting moved unless there is a big overpayment. Guy'll probably get locked up to a multi-year deal in the offseason, he's easily Atlanta's best bottom-6er and would be tough to replace.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Blueland89

yeah but if he landed in Vancouver you guys could have a ridiculous pk with Malholtra and thorburn and they would nevber loose a faceoff

Old
02-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Norm MacDonald

Thorburn is an awesome bottom 6 grinder, but the Thrashers should consider moving him if he's set on testing free agency.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:55 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Thorburn is an awesome bottom 6 grinder, but the Thrashers should consider moving him if he's set on testing free agency.
Agreed, but I don't think Atlanta has made him an offer yet since they're still working on Ladd

Old
02-26-2011, 12:53 AM
bmah03

Obviously the Atl players that are being targeted are worth something. If you want you need to give up at least one good piece. What about this ATL fans?

To VAN:

Chris Thorburn (.660M, UFA end of season)
Anthony Stewart (.632M, RFA end of season)

To Atl:
Jordan Schroeder
2011 3rd

Why Van does this: Stewart brings a big body who can mix on the 2nd/3rd line. Insurance for Raymond. Could easily be resigned at a reasonable cap hit because of his RFA status
Thorburn is clearly a good addition to the bottom 6. Can play center or wing and would give AV another PK option. Depending on what he wanted could be resigned as a cheap UFA if not he'd be a rental.

Forwards would look like the following for the playoffs:

Daniel Henrik Burrows
Raymond Kesler Samuelsson
Stewart Malhotra Hansen
Torres Thorburn Glass

Bodies can be moved around depending on the situation.

Why ATL would do this: First this trade would only happen if they thought they were out of the playoffs (which I think they are, sorry ATL fans). Obviously Schroeder is the key piece to this trade. He's a great prospect with top 6 potential. Great vision and shot. Could be a great player to eventually pair with a big bodied type player like Kane. He's young and would be a great option for ATL in the future. The third would be a later third but it's still a third. If ATL wants to get better they need to keep adding to their young core. This would be a good move for them in my opinion.

What do you think ATL fans?

bmah03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 855
^^^^

Wouldn't do that as a Canucks fan, but I'm a big Schroeder fan.

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:06 AM
bmah03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
^^^^

Wouldn't do that as a Canucks fan, but I'm a big Schroeder fan.
I am not someone who wants to give Schroeder up either. But as a HUGE Canucks fan I don't think Shirokov has as much value as we try to give him. He's an RFA next season and will be looking for an NHL contract next year. Schroeder is young on an ELC still. He's a big asset that will have a hard time cracking the Canucks top 6 for the next few years. Guys who are locks in the top six for Vancouver for the next 3-5 years are:

Dan Hank Burr
____ Kes ____

There are a LOT of guys fighting for the two spots with Kesler including: Raymond, Hodgson, Shirokov, Bill Sweatt and any new prospect or signing the Canucks make. Tough fight for Schroeder.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:52 AM
keslehr*

I'd love for the Canucks to get this guy. Just what we need on 4th line. Plus... he's got a pretty cool name.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:39 AM
AmazingNuck

Gillis won't deal for rentals so you can cross off any upcoming ufa as a target. Even Alberts had an extra year on his contract.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:39 PM
bmah03

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFoxes View Post
Gillis won't deal for rentals so you can cross off any upcoming ufa as a target. Even Alberts had an extra year on his contract.
Obviously Thorburn signed today so this thread is pretty dead. But I just wanted to point out that it would be surprising to see Gillis not trade for a UFA who he knows will sign for a very reasonable price. Look what thorburn signed for. between 800-900k. You're right about higher paid players. But don't be shocked to see a <1M UFA.

Old
02-26-2011, 03:10 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
I really don't see Thorburn getting moved unless there is a big overpayment. Guy'll probably get locked up to a multi-year deal in the offseason, he's easily Atlanta's best bottom-6er and would be tough to replace.
And the next day he signs for a multi-year extension.

See kids, dreams do come true!

Old
02-26-2011, 03:41 PM
bmah03

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
And the next day he signs for a multi-year extension.

See kids, dreams do come true!
He's a great roll player. He deserved a new contract and got it. Good value too at that cap hit. There's a reason Canucks fans wanted him he would have been a great fit. Props to ATL for getting a deal done early.