HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Official 2011 Ottawa Senators Draft Thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

vCash: 500
Does anyone find the following two facts interesting...

1. Dorion has gone on record saying the player we take with our first pick will definitely play with the Senators next year.

2. Every scout who talks about RNH - even those who love him - seems to believe he should not be in the NHL next year. At least not to count on it.

I wonder if we've seen a bit of a "tell" by our scouts with this in that they don't expect to draft RNH.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Does anyone find the following two facts interesting...

1. Dorion has gone on record saying the player we take with our first pick will definitely play with the Senators next year.

2. Every scout who talks about RNH - even those who love him - seems to believe he should not be in the NHL next year. At least not to count on it.

I wonder if we've seen a bit of a "tell" by our scouts with this in that they don't expect to draft RNH.

Really wouldn't put too much stock into what Dorion has said about the pick being here. It isn't binding and is just talk.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I'm willing to bet money that if the Sens draft RNH, he'll play with them next season.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
Really wouldn't put too much stock into what Dorion has said about the pick being here. It isn't binding and is just talk.
It's about managing the fanbase expectations, however. Saying he will be here, and then sending him back to the WHL after training camp will simply suggest that the Sens were disappointed in him at camp, and he didn't meet expecations.

Don't think for a minute the media will let them away with this without grilling them on it.

That's why I think it might have been a slip by Dorion.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
It's about managing the fanbase expectations, however. Saying he will be here, and then sending him back to the WHL after training camp will simply suggest that the Sens were disappointed in him at camp, and he didn't meet expecations.

Don't think for a minute the media will let them away with this without grilling them on it.

That's why I think it might have been a slip by Dorion.

Dorion saying he will make the team 7 months before the team starts camp is not a grillable offense if he doesn't. It will be an organizational decision at that point. Media will not care one bit.
Teams put out misinformation all the time. Who knows if they truly believe any of these players in this draft can step in from day one.

Last edited by LGSens: 03-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
I'm willing to bet money that if the Sens draft RNH, he'll play with them next season.
Today Murray said that their first 1st round pick (top 5?) will play in the NHL next year.

Couturier, Landeskog and Larsson all seem to be NHL ready. RNH I'm not too sure about.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
On today's call Murray clearly said the player they would select would play next year. However he id leave the door open a little when he said the player picked would most likely be in Ottawa.

Hard to tell who the Sens are considering, Murray was keeping that information secret!!! It was interesting that he thinks there are 6 or 7 excellent prospects, that the draft is deeper than it has been in several years, but no Crosbys or Ovechkins.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
On today's call Murray clearly said the player they would select would play next year. However he id leave the door open a little when he said the player picked would most likely be in Ottawa.

Hard to tell who the Sens are considering, Murray was keeping that information secret!!! It was interesting that he thinks there are 6 or 7 excellent prospects, that the draft is deeper than it has been in several years, but no Crosbys or Ovechkins.
Agreed.

Not sure why people consider this draft weak. It has some great talent in the top 10 picks, and some really decent prospects after that. It's not because there isn't one clear superstar that the draft isn't deep (which it is).

I'm super excited that we have 6 picks in the top 62 (as of now).

Old
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
Agreed.

Not sure why people consider this draft weak. It has some great talent in the top 10 picks, and some really decent prospects after that. It's not because there isn't one clear superstar that the draft isn't deep (which it is).

I'm super excited that we have 6 picks in the top 62 (as of now).
The weak draft talk was fabricated by the Toronto media after their darling traded away a potential lottery pick for a fat kid.

No one in the know will tell you this is a weak draft. Looking at the players who could be available in the late 2nd-early 3rd, its as good as we've seen post lock out and maybe since 03' as far as depth goes. There will probably be a Paul Stastny or Patrice Bergeron or Shea Weber somewhere in that range.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:34 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
Today Murray said that their first 1st round pick (top 5?) will play in the NHL next year.

Couturier, Landeskog and Larsson all seem to be NHL ready. RNH I'm not too sure about.
You think Larsson is more ready than Karlsson, Phillips, Gonchar, Kuba, Rundblad, Cowen, Lee and Carkner?

The only thing I took from that was that there's no way they're drafting Larsson.

We have no center depth anymore. I wouldn't discredit RNH just yet. People said that Skinner wasn't ready and look where he is.

Old
03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Quote:
You think Larsson is more ready than Karlsson, Phillips, Gonchar, Kuba, Rundblad, Cowen, Lee and Carkner?

The only thing I took from that was that there's no way they're drafting Larsson.

We have no center depth anymore. I wouldn't discredit RNH just yet. People said that Skinner wasn't ready and look where he is.
If we draft Larsson, I would expect one or more of Kuba, Lee or Carkner to be shipped out to make room for him. I wouldn't be so quick to rule him out.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post

Chiarelli said he thought this was a weaker draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Define "very skilled".

He's isn't much of a puckhandler now, can't carry the play and isn't much of a sniper... in junior hockey. If we draft him, we're stuck playing with Spezza forever because he won't be able to carry a line centred by a Peter Regin, a Derek Grant or whoever. We'll always be loading up the top line, we'll always need to have somebody else trying to make him look better... instead of our lottery pick actually making other people look better than they are ---> that's what lottery picks are supposed to do.

Without the "natural leader" and physicality, Landeskog doesn't crack the Top-10 in this draft on offensive skill alone.
He's not as bad a puck handler as you are making him out to be, and while many of his goals are of the garbage variety he can place his shots pretty well (despite needing a little more power). Without the natural leader and physicality he'd still be a first round prospect, he was one of the youngest players ever to suit up in an SEL game. The guy's got talent.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
He also traded away his 1st and 2nd so he would say that. We have 2 first so we say the opposite...the way she goes.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Derivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan View Post
If we draft Larsson, I would expect one or more of Kuba, Lee or Carkner to be shipped out to make room for him. I wouldn't be so quick to rule him out.
Naw, I'd see we trade him to the Wings for Datsyuk and Zetterberg so they can replace Lidstrom. In exchange we get a top 6 forward and a 2nd line center to push Spezza.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
He also traded away his 1st and 2nd so he would say that. We have 2 first so we say the opposite...the way she goes.
He also traded away another first so maybe he really does think it's weaker. We'll never know they're all trying to make themselves look better. Just sharing what I heard.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:

Larsson has been playing in the SEL. Most scouts consider him NHL ready. Our depth chart shouldn't be the major concern. We'll make room for him, the same way we'll make room for a center who is ready, even if we have 4 centers on the active roster.

And I don't think people are discrediting RNH. And the fact is Carolina didn't COUNT on Skinner being ready. That's the point.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
SensFan2010

I think Larsson should play one more season in Skelleftea if we draft him. We already have Karlsson, Phillips, Kuba, Gonchar, Lee and Carkner here and Cowen and Rundblad trying to steal a spot. Dorion said that Larsson isn't ready next year so we shouldn't rush especially if we don't need him here next season. He would probably be Skelleftea's #1 d-man and would garner valuable experience being the go-to-guy.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:53 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Completely different situations.

His team is all but sure to be drafting in the bottom five of the first round, we're all but sure to be drafting in the top five.

Much like with any other draft. Once you exit the top 15, it's pretty much a combination of great scouting and luck.

A few teams will probably end up with average to slightly above average players between picks 16 and 61. I should imagine that's Chiarelli's view on the matter.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
Completely different situations.

His team is all but sure to be drafting in the bottom five of the first round, we're all but sure to be drafting in the top five.

Much like with any other draft. Once you exit the top 15, it's pretty much a combination of great scouting and luck.

A few teams will probably end up with average to slightly above average players between picks 16 and 61. I should imagine that's Chiarelli's view on the matter.
He also has the leafs pick you know.

Old
03-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Suiteness

When's the last time 1st round picks were handed out like that though?

Old
03-02-2011, 05:05 PM
PKC*

Quote:
He also has the leafs pick you know.
I know....that was my point. Once you exit the top 15, much like any other draft, it's a crapshoot. Especially considering where his draft pick was most likely going to be - bottom five - his view would obviously be trending towards calling it a weak draft.

Old
03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

My guess is that Murray selects one of Couturiere, Larsson or Landeskog & not RNH. Depending on who Edm selects first if they win the lottery I would guess they take Larsson since most scouts see him as the #1 pick. That would leave Ottawa (if they remain in 2nd place) with a choice between Landeskog & Couturiere. Although I would prefer Couturiere it seems from what we are hearing that the Sens prefer Landeskog. If I remember correctly Larsson is suppose to be 1st on their list & Landeskog 2nd.

Rather than move down in the draft I would prefer that they make every attempt to move up & get another player in the top 5, hopefully Couturiere. Couturiere & Landeskog together would be an excellent start to a rebuild, if Murray can swing it. It may come down to making a deal with the NYI, Florida or Colorado, the last two might just want to deal. And with 11 picks, maybe some prospects and/or roster players he may have the peices to do it.

Old
03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

Well my feeling from it all was don't discount anyone, because I got the feeling Murray was doing his best to offer absolutely no clue.

Old
03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
I won't be disappointed in what happens either way. We will get an amazing prospect/player.
I trust Murray and his scouts more than I trust myself, and everyone here, on who will be the best player.
Obviously I have my favourites, (Landeskog &RNH) but if he goes for Couturier, I'll trust that he knows Couturier will be the best player...

Old
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
When's the last time 1st round picks were handed out like that though?
The teams that gave up 1sts got players under contract in return, good players. GMs speculating that tight races are forcing teams to find significant help.

Closed Thread