HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 Ottawa Senators Draft Thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
The similarities just keep piling up

I just realized they're both from Burnaby.....

Old
03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Bileur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
I just realized they're both from Burnaby.....
Burnaby Ryan just does not have the same ring to it.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
The Nuge? Worst nickname I have heard in my lifetime.

94P in 64GP for RNH. He's got 5 games to reach the 100 mark.
Shame he won't win the scoring title as a 17 yr old - last guy to do that went #1 if memory serves.

As to the 100 point mark - his numbers to date suggest he'll make it.

Also, lol @ Mark Stone (98 points) being a 6th round pick by us . His injury shortened draft year (28 points/39 gp) = huge win for us

Old
03-09-2011, 07:26 AM
OgieO

Anyone else a fan of Matt Puempel for that Nashville pick? He doesn't have much support so his stats are down a bit but he's skilled and has decent size with a great shot & hockey sense. I think he's tremendous value with that Nashville pick but nobody seems to talk about him.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:57 AM
SensFan2010

Not with Nashville's pick, but if we could get him with our 2nd I would be ecstatic. He was ranked around 15th before he got injured, and that will definitely affect his draft position negatively. He probably won't fall to 2nd round but we could trade up few spots to get him.

Old
03-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Anyone else a fan of Matt Puempel for that Nashville pick? He doesn't have much support so his stats are down a bit but he's skilled and has decent size with a great shot & hockey sense. I think he's tremendous value with that Nashville pick but nobody seems to talk about him.
Count me in. I actually think he is the Jeff Skinner of this draft in that he might crack the NHL next year, albeit, I'd have more modest expectations than Skinner's production this year. But he could easily be a key fixture on Spezza's line in the future.

Puempel was on pace for around 45 goals before being injured (Skinner had 50 last year), and this on a team with a very modest amount of talent. Former #1 pick Austin Watson is well below a ppg on that team, not even close to Puempel. On a better team with a better supporting cast, he would easily be a 50 goal guy.

I'd actually compare Puempel to Lando in terms of offensive abilities and production. Their goal and point pace is very similar this year, and again, Lando plays with much better talent to give him space. Lando brings more to the table in terms of physical play and attitude, but Puempel might end up being the better goal scorer at the NHL level (maybe, so relax Lando-lovers). And it's not like Puempel is chopped liver in other facets of the game. He will fight occasionally and plays hard. I'd love us to grab him, even if our pick is in the 12-15 range. And like Skinner, he is under-rated by CSS and several other scouting services.

Old
03-09-2011, 08:26 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Count me in. I actually think he is the Jeff Skinner of this draft in that he might crack the NHL next year, albeit, I'd have more modest expectations than Skinner's production this year. But he could easily be a key fixture on Spezza's line in the future.

Puempel was on pace for around 45 goals before being injured (Skinner had 50 last year), and this on a team with a very modest amount of talent. Former #1 pick Austin Watson is well below a ppg on that team, not even close to Puempel. On a better team with a better supporting cast, he would easily be a 50 goal guy.

I'd actually compare Puempel to Lando in terms of offensive abilities and production. Their goal and point pace is very similar this year, and again, Lando plays with much better talent to give him space. Lando brings more to the table in terms of physical play and attitude, but Puempel might end up being the better goal scorer at the NHL level (maybe, so relax Lando-lovers). And it's not like Puempel is chopped liver in other facets of the game. He will fight occasionally and plays hard. I'd love us to grab him, even if our pick is in the 12-15 range. And like Skinner, he is under-rated by CSS and several other scouting services.
yeah, that's how I see him as well. Of course, this is assuming the hip problem isn't a threat in the future and all signs seem to indicate it won't be a problem.

Old
03-09-2011, 08:38 AM
H2O

vCash: 50
Quote:

Nice post. I'm sold, I would like to see more of this guy now.

Old
03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
yeah, that's how I see him as well. Of course, this is assuming the hip problem isn't a threat in the future and all signs seem to indicate it won't be a problem.
Sounds like the hip is a "Chip" versus some chronic grinding issue of the hip at the joint, which might scare teams. To top it off, he played with that injury for several weeks, which hurt his production for sure, but shows some of his character. He also wears a letter for the Petes, which like Lando, is pretty unique for a draft eligible.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
The Nuge? Worst nickname I have heard in my lifetime.

94P in 64GP for RNH. He's got 5 games to reach the 100 mark.
Next thing you're going to tell me is "Cat Scratch Fever" is the worst song you've ever heard

Sheesh.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:10 AM
hockeyalltheway
Let's win it all -MR

vCash: 2550
We've already got the Euge. Why do we need another -uge?

Old
03-09-2011, 09:19 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
Sounds like the hip is a "Chip" versus some chronic grinding issue of the hip at the joint, which might scare teams. To top it off, he played with that injury for several weeks, which hurt his production for sure, but shows some of his character. He also wears a letter for the Petes, which like Lando, is pretty unique for a draft eligible.
A "C" is far more uncommon than an "A" when talking draft year. I know The Nuge and Couturier wear "A"s for their respective teams.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
I like him too, but not with that pick. Maybe we can package our 2nd and another to move into the low-mid 20s and nab him.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
JMac13

Quote:
I like him too, but not with that pick. Maybe we can package our 2nd and another to move into the low-mid 20s and nab him.
Agree with this - if we could some how come out of this draft with some combination of RNH/Cout/Lando+Zibanjed/Bartschi+Puempel I would be ecstatic. Would really solve our lack of Forward prospects. Speaking of which, anyone like Bartschi with Nashville's pick? I think he would look awesome lined up next to Spezza.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:37 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac13 View Post
Agree with this - if we could some how come out of this draft with some combination of RNH/Cout/Lando+Zibanjed/Bartschi+Puempel I would be ecstatic. Would really solve our lack of Forward prospects. Speaking of which, anyone like Bartschi with Nashville's pick? I think he would look awesome lined up next to Spezza.
Yeah, Puempel and Bartschi are probably my 2 favs for that Nashville pick, assuming it's going to be around 15 or so. More than that, I'm just glad to not be talking about Landeskog for a minute of two.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
H2O

I hope Zack Phillips is still available in the beginning of the second round. He plays a lot like Mike Fisher except he's at wing, a fast and gritty player.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

I don't care who they draft as long as they're Swedish. We could sure use some Swedish players around here.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I hope Zack Phillips is still available in the beginning of the second round. He plays a lot like Mike Fisher except he's at wing, a fast and gritty player.
I have to disagree with much of this statement. I think he benefits from playing with Huberdeau (more so than the reverse), and his play without the puck is pretty suspect. But I haven't seen him play in person, or very often.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:34 AM
H2O

Quote:
I have to disagree with much of this statement. I think he benefits from playing with Huberdeau (more so than the reverse), and his play without the puck is pretty suspect. But I haven't seen him play in person, or very often.
I've only seen him once in person, but I admit I haven't seen enough to make an informed call. From what I've seen, his speed on the wing really draws defenders away from Huberdeau. He also seems to be very good positionally with or without the puck. The only thing I question is his shot and finishing ability. I think he'd make a fine second round pick.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:49 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I've only seen him once in person, but I admit I haven't seen enough to make an informed call. From what I've seen, his speed on the wing really draws defenders away from Huberdeau. He also seems to be very good positionally with or without the puck. The only thing I question is his shot and finishing ability. I think he'd make a fine second round pick.
In retrospect it was the comparison to Fisher that I took issue with. I just don't think he's that physical. I wouldn't mind taking him with one of our later 2nds, though.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:16 PM
DJB

vCash: 754
Im glad to see that Strome is getting more love around here. I pimped him pretty early in the year and had him in my top 5. CM obviously loves him as well...

Interesting that BDP and Chirp says we love the kid. I do wonder though if we love him enough to pass over RNH and Lando...

Old
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Im glad to see that Strome is getting more love around here. I pimped him pretty early in the year and had him in my top 5. CM obviously loves him as well...

Interesting that BDP and Chirp says we love the kid. I do wonder though if we love him enough to pass over RNH and Lando...
Yeah, I think the bold scenario for Sens management will be to draft Landeskog or Larsson, and then, if Strome (or Huberdeau) drops between 6-10, and the Nashville pick is in the 14-18 range, package two of the 2nd rounders along with Nashville's 1st, to move up, and get one of those two centermen. It would cost us likely 3 top 60 picks, but would land us two elite pieces for the future. And the Sens would still have one more 2nd rounder, and two 3rds to build out our prospect base a bit more.

I don't generally like to move up, but I would applaud that kind of move for one of those two centers.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Well that would be a dream scenario.

Drafting any of the top 4 and then pick up Strome/Hubes by trading up.

I would be psyched.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

I am officially on the Mike Zibanejad bandwagon. That kid is dynamite. Strong, aggressive, quick and amazing hockey sense. He blew my mind.

I pray he's still on the board with our Nashville pick.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
DJB

vCash: 754
Quote:
Yeah, I think the bold scenario for Sens management will be to draft Landeskog or Larsson, and then, if Strome (or Huberdeau) drops between 6-10, and the Nashville pick is in the 14-18 range, package two of the 2nd rounders along with Nashville's 1st, to move up, and get one of those two centermen. It would cost us likely 3 top 60 picks, but would land us two elite pieces for the future. And the Sens would still have one more 2nd rounder, and two 3rds to build out our prospect base a bit more.

I don't generally like to move up, but I would applaud that kind of move for one of those two centers.
Ideally yes, that would be the best scenario. Larsson/RNH/Lando and then move up to take Strome. It's going to cost us a ton but I htink it is worth it.

How come you don't like moving up? To me quality > quantity and the higher in the draft, the greater the quality.

T Murray also said so himself the other day that the Sens are going to look to move up in the draft and that he really value quality.

If you think back to 2008, we moved up to get Karlsson. We could have stayed where we were and drafted one of Gardiner, Sbisa, Del Zotto + Tyalor Beck (whom Nashville drafted with the 3rd rounder we gave up to move up)?

Certainly not.

Karlsson > Gardiner/Sbisa/Del Zotto + Beck

Closed Thread