HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 Ottawa Senators Draft Thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I just realized something...If Edmonton ends up picking RHN and Larsson falls to second...Colorado can nab him,

We have to have a top 2 pick.
lol. You did realize before that if Edmonton was picking Larsson #1, we'd have to pick #1 to get him right?

Old
03-13-2011, 01:26 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Put this together quickly for whoever missed it.

Old
03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed

Quote:
I just realized something...If Edmonton ends up picking RHN and Larsson falls to second...Colorado can nab him,

We have to have a top 2 pick.
Larsson has been shoddy over the last stretch of games. He hasn't really shown great improvement this year from what I've seen. I don't consider him to be a priority for a top 5 pick tbqh. Just my personal opinion though. I'm sure it's a sentiment shared by most Sens fans though...we need forward depth.

Old
03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post

Old
03-13-2011, 02:41 PM
karlskiller

Quote:

great song choice

Old
03-13-2011, 02:42 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Larsson has been shoddy over the last stretch of games. He hasn't really shown great improvement this year from what I've seen. I don't consider him to be a priority for a top 5 pick tbqh. Just my personal opinion though. I'm sure it's a sentiment shared by most Sens fans though...we need forward depth.
Disagree completely with this, and i assume you haven't watched the Larsson in the first game of the playoffs? He was dynamic, phenomenal etc...

Yes he followed it up with a couple of questionable games compared to the first but Larsson is facing men, remember that.

Also, Larsson dominated the WJC and even though a less than spectacular start, was the best defense man there imho. If he was on team Canada he would be hyped to the max. Against Russia he shut his line out and was a catalyst on offense making poised moves beyond his years.

To say Larsson isn't a top 5 pick priority is laughable to say the least.

Old
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Dionysus

Wow, he continues to impress. What a wicked shot, plus great vision and playmaking.

Old
03-13-2011, 03:24 PM
bdp

Yep Larsson is #1 on Sens' list.

Old
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Iamok
#Panic

RNH
Larsson
Lando
Couturier
Strome

Is basically the order that I'd prefer. Although I'm getting more and more impressed by Strome.

Old
03-13-2011, 03:59 PM
SensFan2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Yep Larsson is #1 on Sens' list.
Source?

I think RNH is favorite to go 1st at the moment, but a lot can still happen in the playoffs. If RNH is gone when we pick I want Larsson. They have clearly seperated themselves from Couts and Landeskog in my eyes, and Strome is challenging them for top 4 selection. My order is:

1. RNH
2. Larsson

3. Couturier/Landeskog/Strome

Old
03-13-2011, 06:40 PM
senswon

RNH on sportsnet now....red deer vs Calgary

No score yet

RNH has been flying so far

Old
03-13-2011, 07:19 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by senswon View Post
RNH on sportsnet now....red deer vs Calgary

No score yet

RNH has been flying so far
oRLY? Its his 3rd game in 3 days. He must have some crazy stamina.

Old
03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
sg58

Quote:
Quote:
Disagree completely with this, and i assume you haven't watched the Larsson in the first game of the playoffs? He was dynamic, phenomenal etc...

Yes he followed it up with a couple of questionable games compared to the first but Larsson is facing men, remember that.

Also, Larsson dominated the WJC and even though a less than spectacular start, was the best defense man there imho. If he was on team Canada he would be hyped to the max. Against Russia he shut his line out and was a catalyst on offense making poised moves beyond his years.

To say Larsson isn't a top 5 pick priority is laughable to say the least.
I would agree more with CPhoenix. And to say he was dominant at the WJC is not accurate. He had one good game, named game against Russia, but was not an offensive catalyst.

I'd say Barrie, Orlov, Ellis and perhaps another one or two were definitely better than Larsson at the WJC. You could even throw in Jon Merrill and Tim Erixon and I wouldn't argue.

Yes, I know they're all older but that wasn't what I was talking about.

But of course he's gonna be a top-5-pick, but hopefully not here. Not just from a "need" standpoint.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:11 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
I would agree more with CPhoenix. And to say he was dominant at the WJC is not accurate. He had one good game, named game against Russia, but was not an offensive catalyst.

I'd say Barrie, Orlov, Ellis and perhaps another one or two were definitely better than Larsson at the WJC. You could even throw in Jon Merrill and Tim Erixon and I wouldn't argue.

Yes, I know they're all older but that wasn't what I was talking about.

But of course he's gonna be a top-5-pick, but hopefully not here. Not just from a "need" standpoint.
When the pressure arose Larsson didn't hesitate and was always the one to make the rushes up ice.

Erixon was excellent all tournament long but at the end collapsed hardcore, i don't know if you remember or not. IMO, the WJC is all about the final games when the pressure is at it's peak. Players like Tarasenko, Kuznetzov showed up to prove they are top level prospects.

Larsson i believe was in on all goals against Russia and made great defensive plays and was the best Swedish player.

I also believe that Bob McKenzie also said that he had a very good WJC.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:25 PM
sg58

Quote:
When the pressure arose Larsson didn't hesitate and was always the one to make the rushes up ice.

Erixon was excellent all tournament long but at the end collapsed hardcore, i don't know if you remember or not. IMO, the WJC is all about the final games when the pressure is at it's peak. Players like Tarasenko, Kuznetzov showed up to prove they are top level prospects.

Larsson i believe was in on all goals against Russia and made great defensive plays and was the best Swedish player.

Absolutely, Larsson was one of the best players, if not the best, in the semis against Russia. And it was the most important game. You can angle this either way. Does he raise the game when it matters, or is he inconsistent or does he not work hard enough to contribute every night. Two sides of the coin.

In Sweden's other game against top competition, against Canada on New Year's, he struggled with the puck and made some questionable decisions. I'd love to get into more detail on the WJC, like specific situation, but I don't really remember all the in-game situations so I have to write it as I remember it.

Also, even though Bob McKenzie is probably the best and one of the most knowledgeable guys in the media, he haven't watched Larsson nearly as much as I (we?) have and his opinions is not always the book of correct assesments.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed

Quote:

When looking at a top prospect you want a prospect that shows up for every game. He doesn't at least this far in his career. He's had some real stinkers lately, and even going into the playoffs he wasn't playing exceptional (from what I've read, and what little I've seen.) As far as his potential goes it might be high, but right now he's shown very little improvement over last year except for in flashes, and it's hard to seriously consider him over someone like RNH, Couturier or even Landeskog for our team when you consider how they've performed this year in comparison. I'm aware that he plays in a men's league, but look at what he did last year by comparison.

He was good in one or two games at the WJC and nothing special in the others. Again, consistency in a prospect is pretty important which is why I was so down on RNH before.

Anyway I'm not a professional scout nor do I get to see Larsson play that often, but from what I've seen and what I've read I just don't see him being justified as the #1 overall or even a top 2 pick. I could see him going in the 3 - 5 range depending...or higher depending on the team that picks...but I have a hard time seeing Ottawa picking him over Landeskog/RNH/Couturier or even Strome.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:54 PM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Quote:

Awesome job again, FQL.

The song sums it up.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
When looking at a top prospect you want a prospect that shows up for every game. He doesn't at least this far in his career. He's had some real stinkers lately, and even going into the playoffs he wasn't playing exceptional (from what I've read, and what little I've seen.) As far as his potential goes it might be high, but right now he's shown very little improvement over last year except for in flashes, and it's hard to seriously consider him over someone like RNH, Couturier or even Landeskog for our team when you consider how they've performed this year in comparison. I'm aware that he plays in a men's league, but look at what he did last year by comparison.
What did he do last year that he didn't do this year? Aside from playing on the PP more.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
What did he do last year that he didn't do this year? Aside from playing on the PP more.
What has he done this year that he didn't do last year? Aside from drop his production and lose ice time to another budding player.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
What has he done this year that he didn't do last year? Aside from drop his production and lose ice time to another budding player.
Dropping production and losing ice time to another player go hand in hand...they aren't separate. He lost PP time to a 20 year old offensive dynamo...it was just a complete rarity that at 17 last year he was actually deserving of that time. I don't understand how you can fault an 18 year old defensemen for losing PP time to a player of Rundblad's ilk and age.

It's not that he got worse offensively, that would be foolish to think that. For the minutes he did play though, he was a leader in plus/minus in the league all season. And lately, he's been leading Skelleftea's defense in TOI.

Just because he lost responsibility as an 18 year old doesn't mean he regressed, it just means things are back to the way they are expected to be for an 18 year old Dman.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:31 PM
sg58

But really, he haven't improved in a lot of areas. His development curve is not where you want it to be when you would expect and want him to have taken that next step this year.

He's got a man's body, he is an early developer physically.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
But really, he haven't improved in a lot of areas. His development curve is not where you want it to be when you would expect and want him to have taken that next step this year.

He's got a man's body, he is an early developer physically.
I can see that. He wouldn't be my #1. He was a better player at this WJC compared to last IMO.

We also must realize, if he is #1 on our list....it's probably because our old friend Anders, the same guy in charge of his play and development right now, said we should.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed

Quote:
Dropping production and losing ice time to another player go hand in hand...they aren't separate. He lost PP time to a 20 year old offensive dynamo...it was just a complete rarity that at 17 last year he was actually deserving of that time. I don't understand how you can fault an 18 year old defensemen for losing PP time to a player of Rundblad's ilk and age.

It's not that he got worse offensively, that would be foolish to think that. For the minutes he did play though, he was a leader in plus/minus in the league all season. And lately, he's been leading Skelleftea's defense in TOI.

Just because he lost responsibility as an 18 year old doesn't mean he regressed, it just means things are back to the way they are expected to be for an 18 year old Dman.
My point isn't that he has regressed, or that the reason his production has gone down isn't because he lost ice time...But my point is that he hasn't shown improvement in the way one would expect from a defensive talent that is lauded as the potential #1 for this draft (especially, as I said, when the other top prospects are really stepping up and doing so well this year and showing vast improvement over their previous years.)

Again, as I said, I don't get to watch him in person or even see him play on streams often. What I have seen though doesn't convince me that he's a guy we would take over a top forward prospect in this draft. Some guys are having break out years...he seems to still be riding the hype of how well he did last year as such a young player in the SEL. That's not to say that he isn't good -- but his development should have been better I would think.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:43 PM
sg58

Quote:
I can see that. He wouldn't be my #1. He was a better player at this WJC compared to last IMO.

We also must realize, if he is #1 on our list....it's probably because our old friend Anders, the same guy in charge of his play and development right now, said we should.
Don't really think so and it would be quite stupid to put that decision in the hands of a guy that have seen little to none of Gabby, Nugent and Couturier.

He was better at the WJC in his strongest game, but not overall, in my opinion. The same can be said about his SEL play.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Minister of Offence

That's fair. People make too many assumptions regarding Larsson. This is still a guy that produced 8 points in 12 games in the WJC as a 17 and 18 year old, but is considered stronger defensively and in transition. It's still a pretty rare thing to see an 18 year old Dman take regular and important shifts in a mens league like the SEL and be a plus/minus leader.

He doesn't lack any of the qualities needed to be a first unit player in every situation. But like I said, there's some forwards in this draft with equal types of upside and they should be higher on our list...but like I said again, we've got better insight into this guys potential than any other team in the league.

It's also well-documented he played injured for a lot of the season.

Closed Thread