Official 2010-2011 ticket thread (ALL ticket talk HERE) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Elliot Williams

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinSG17 View Post
Why are the tickets purchased so fast off ticketmaster when you can pick your seat for the same price and maybe even cheaper off stubhub but those seats sit there for weeks?
They are not cheaper, actually, on Stubhub. Not today, anyway. Yes, you can find cheaper seats. But not essentially the same ones (row, section, etc.) cheaper than today's sale.

I wanted to buy two in the last row (26) of the Loge, sec 9, for friends as a gift. Nothing on StubHub could compete with the Ticketmaster price. I had it all lined up, well within time, but when I clicked to buy, it didn't work

Tried another set in the balcony and the same thing happened.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
Why are the tickets purchased so fast off ticketmaster when you can pick your seat for the same price and maybe even cheaper off stubhub but those seats sit there for weeks?
Because there will always be fans who buy from the box office/original point of sale place. A few of them because they refuse to buy from "scalpers" regardless of the price. And others because they are ignorant of the fact that secondary market prices may well be cheaper than box office prices.

I always think it's funny when somebody I know (who knows I deal in tickets) tells me they went online and bought tickets to a game. They think they were the luckiest people on the face of the earth for being at their computer at the right time. I only feel slightly bad when I ask them what they paid for their seats, and they tell me. I then tell them I could have sold them considerably better seats at market value (with no "friend" discount) for 15 or 20% less...many people are just ignorant of the market.

03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
KillerKampfer*

You know with the fees it seems to be working out the same for everyone, and I wouldnt feel good about reselling had I bought some. Just from last night alone there are 400 more tickets listed on SH. WHat I get from mine after fees (should they sell) is what someone said ticketmaster prices were for a similar pair before the fees.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch View Post
I then tell them I could have sold them considerably better seats at market value (with no "friend" discount) for 15 or 20% less...many people are just ignorant of the market.
That has never been my experience, either for the Bruins or the Red Sox, except when I was younger and I didn't mind buying from scalpers off the street at game time.

But, then, I admit I do not have any street smarts about ticket scalping/reselling.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:13 PM
BBruin66

Send a message via AIM to BBruin66
Quote:
I'd say the latter. My friend actually had a similar experience. He tried a couple times and it wouldn't let him check out. You'll probably be glad you did...er didn't
I had this same experience too. I think my bank account is saying wtf!

Old
03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBruin66 View Post
I had this same experience too. I think my bank account is saying wtf!
No, I think Ticketmaster had a problem, a glitch or some software lag time, or something, and failed to allow us to consummate the sale.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Williams View Post
That has never been my experience, either for the Bruins or the Red Sox, except when I was younger and I didn't mind buying from scalpers off the street at game time.

But, then, I admit I do not have any street smarts about ticket scalping/reselling.
My boyfriend had to work late one night, so I took a friend to a game over the winter against Buffalo. It was during that really cold snap when it was BRUTAL outside.

He got out of work a bit earlier than he thought he would, so decided to head to the Garden to see if he could get a single off someone. The first guy he talked to wanted $60 for a single in our section (balcony) even though the first was just ending, so the bf kept walking.

He came across a guy near the entrance with a single, and when he asked how much the ticket was, the guy selling handed him the ticket, yelled "it's too ****ing cold for this ****! just take it!" and walked away.

The bf had a great time, visited us during intermission, stood with a group of friends who have tickets in the last row balcony, and bopped around the loge for a bit. COme to think of it, we won that game in OT and he was in loge right behind the goal when it happened.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:

This happens more so with the Celtics and Bruins tickets. As they both use dynamic pricing. So box office pricing is considerably higher than season tickets. The Sox don't do this. SO it rarely happens with Sox tickets. Especially at the beginning of the B's season this year. They wanted to have public sale prices in line with secondary market prices. But the box office isn't always able to correct the market as fast with their pricing. The secondary market prices take care of themselves.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

what a joke the presale was, I was on right at 2, and I look for tickets and the cheapiest I found was $225 in the loge. great pre-sale bruins

Old
03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
RBurgundy

If I didn't have season tickets and was going to go to the game no matter what I probably would have bought in the sale (although I wouldn't have been in the season ticket sale if I didn't have season tickets). I think without getting lucky on Craigslist or waiting until last minute it would have been just about the cheapest way to get into the game.

That being said, I'd never pay $105 for a upper corner balcony for the first round of the playoffs (unless it was game 7, which wasn't on sale). And there isn't much potential to buy them and resell them for more than a modist profit hardly worth the risk/work in my opinion.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
KillerKampfer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
You know with the fees it seems to be working out the same for everyone, and I wouldnt feel good about reselling had I bought some. Just from last night alone there are 400 more tickets listed on SH. WHat I get from mine after fees (should they sell) is what someone said ticketmaster prices were for a similar pair before the fees.
Wow that was quick on the balconies they got snapped up right away I went to see if they were listed on the map and were gone! Probably should have held out for more if it was Montreal but thats OK the buyer had to spend 270-280ish even if I only got a little over 2 bills myself.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:23 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think Bruins tickets have been that way for the last 2 to 3 seasons. Second hand tickets have been cheaper than the box office for a while, and it's very strange I agree.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
RunFromTheBear

Quote:
They are not cheaper, actually, on Stubhub. Not today, anyway. Yes, you can find cheaper seats. But not essentially the same ones (row, section, etc.) cheaper than today's sale.

I wanted to buy two in the last row (26) of the Loge, sec 9, for friends as a gift. Nothing on StubHub could compete with the Ticketmaster price. I had it all lined up, well within time, but when I clicked to buy, it didn't work

Tried another set in the balcony and the same thing happened.
The cheapest set of loge seats on ticketmaster were over $400, as of 15 minutes ago there were loge seat pairs for under $400 including fees.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I think Bruins tickets have been that way for the last 2 to 3 seasons. Second hand tickets have been cheaper than the box office for a while, and it's very strange I agree.
Actually, today the tickets I found on this sale for games 1,2,and 3 were less expensive on Ticketmaster than anything available on StubHub.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
The cheapest set of loge seats on ticketmaster were over $400, as of 15 minutes ago there were loge seat pairs for under $400 including fees.
I just saw a pair of balcony seats that were $12 less (agreed not much) from today's pre-sale than the cheapest comparable tickets available on StubHub in the same section.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Actually, today the tickets I found on this sale for games 1,2,and 3 were less expensive on Ticketmaster than anything available on StubHub.
That's definitely a rare feat though. You must have scored the $80 tickets.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Yes, there are cheaper seats on StubHub, but not comparable seats. That was my experience today, when I had lined up some pairs in this pre-sale.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Elliot Williams

For example, right this second, you can buy game 2 loge 21 row 7 for a total with fee of $210.70.

On StubHub, tthe same game 2, loge 21 row 8 costs, with fees $330.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Elliot Williams

Once again, this very minute I have two seats up in Loge 14 row 11 for a grand total of $421.40 on the Ticketmaster pre-sale screen, for game 3.

StubHub lists a loge 14 row 9 pair for a grand total of $623.55.

Not that I am going to purchase either set.

This has been the same experience I had all day. I did find two pairs I wanted to buy on Ticketmaster today during the pre-sale, but Ticketmaster wouldn't process either of them at the last step. Don't know why.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
Once again, this very minute I have two seats up in Loge 14 row 11 for a grand total of $421.40 on the Ticketmaster pre-sale screen, for game 3.

StubHub lists a loge 14 row 9 pair for a grand total of $623.55.

Not that I am going to purchase either set.

This has been the same experience I had all day. I did find two pairs I wanted to buy on Ticketmaster today during the pre-sale, but Ticketmaster wouldn't process either of them at the last step. Don't know why.

I understand you are quoting prices that are on SH currently. But those prices aren't necessarily indicative of market prices. The $623.55 quote seems a little high. Again, there are some tickets through the public sale that may be cheaper then SH for he same section. But the average tickets probably won't be when the market balances out in another week. Unrealistic SH prices will come down. And we will see what the real market will be.

Old
03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
RunFromTheBear

@EW

Some seats on StubHub are $5,000 each, what's the point?

There were second row loge at bruins x2 for home game 3 for under $200 a seat. I believe $179 or $189 before fees.

Old
03-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
I understand you are quoting prices that are on SH currently. But those prices aren't necessarily indicative of market prices. The $623.55 quote seems a little high. Again, there are some tickets through the public sale that may be cheaper then SH for he same section. But the average tickets probably won't be when the market balances out in another week. Unrealistic SH prices will come down. And we will see what the real market will be.
I am relating, though, to the question raised several positions ago as to why Ticketmaster seats fly off the web while the StubHub seats linger seemingly forever.

I can answer that question, being just a regular fan with a season ticket and nothing for scalping/resale other than my own seat when I can't go.

The answer is that Ticketmaster seats -- when they are available -- are less than comparable StubHub seats for games you want to go to or buy for someone. Plus you know where you are sitting in the row (not worth too much, but it is something).

Old
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
ez42x10

vCash: 1203
Quote:

...Not that I am going to purchase either set.
So YOU'RE the guy reserving seats you're not going to buy while I can't find any.

I did get 4 into my cart earlier, just to have the same error as others at check out. I really hate Ticketmaster.

Old
03-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez42x10 View Post
So YOU'RE the guy reserving seats you're not going to buy while I can't find any.

I did get 4 into my cart earlier, just to have the same error as others at check out. I really hate Ticketmaster.
I am getting to the point where I don't like any of the online vendors for one reason or the other. I am with you. I like Ticketmaster least of all. But I use them for days like this because the price is better, and for the Red Sox, because the price is always better (in my experience).

I have sent an inquiry to Ticketmaster about the problem I had today with the pre-sale purchase. The second time it happened, I actually jotted down the order number that appeared on the error screen. We'll see if I ever get a response from them. I have had a glitch once with Ace Ticket and once with StubHub, and neither responded to my e-mail query asking for an explanation.

Incidentally, you couldn't reserve seats today! You could put them in your cart for convenience purposes, but the very same seat was available to everyone and anyone else just the same, and at the same time.

P.S. That may be why you order didn't go through. Someone else had purchased the tickets while you had them in the cart (which today did not "reserve" them). In my case, I wasn't trying to buy from the cart, I was just going through the purchase in one fluid motion. In any case, something was wrong with Ticketmaster today, and this is far from the first time.

Last edited by Elliot Williams: 03-29-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: to add a thought
Old
03-29-2011, 02:41 PM
ez42x10

vCash: 1203
Quote:
Incidentally, you couldn't reserve seats today! You could put them in your cart for convenience purposes, but the very same seat was available to everyone and anyone else just the same, and at the same time.
Not true - they set them aside for something like 3 minutes (forget exactly how long) to give you time to check out and then if you don't finish the transaction, they go back into the pool.

I think the checkout error has to do with their credit card processor.

Anyway, looks like I left with StubHub as my only option now.

Closed Thread