HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Weiss could go to the Leafs per Mckenzie

Old
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Won't happen.

Richards will be signed before than, or Sather will give him 12 million a year, which Burke will not match.
Tim Connolly is an unrestricted free agent. He's only a bit older than Weiss, coming off a bad year (depressing his value), and when healthy, is a more productive player. Post-lockout (including this bad year), he has 234 points in 280 games, which is a .84 per game pace, averaging out to 69 points over an 82 game season.

Of course, there are the major injury concerns, but for Toronto, that does come with the slight benefit of opening up a lineup spot for our potential high end offensive centre. That works well with the fact that realistically, Kadri's going to have to win a spot on the NHL roster next year to keep developing, but the last thing we should do is hand him one in the summer like we did this year.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Weiss is a playmaker but he's never been able to play with anyone of substantial talent on his wings. He creates offense but with Nathan Horton being far and away the best finisher he's ever played with, you can't expect all that much. He ISNT a finisher, so he's got to rely on wingers to get him his apples, but when Skille, Frolik, Higgins, Bernier, etc... are your wingers, obviously you're not going to be putting up many points. With good wingers, IMO Weiss could be similar to Marc Savard when he was on his game. Plus Weiss always seems to come up big in clutch games (in the relatively few we've had in FLA in the past 7 years).

Let's be honest leaf fans, you know you remember Weiss popping in several goals vs. you guys over the past few years. He especially always brings it and shows his value vs. the leafs. In fact, there's not another team in the league I remember him scoring against more than the leafs.
He has 7 goals against the Leafs in 27 games... Not exactly a Leaf buster.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

The thought of getting Weiss has really been growing on me lately. I think getting him would actually be a step in the right direction for the Leafs.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
I think Weiss would be a great acquisition for the Leafs to bridge the gap for the next 1-2 years until Kadri/Colborne are ready to make an impact the NHL, which is not guaranteed. As mentioned the available options for a top centre via trade/free agency are extremely limited.

Realistically, Richards is an unlikely target and may have concussion related issues. At the age of 30 and his likely price tag, Richards seems like a risky proposition.

Paul Stastny would be the ideal acquisition for the Maple Leafs, but Colorado's asking price would likely decimate the crop of promising prospects in the Leafs system.

I wouldn't give up Kadri unless it was to acuire a player of Stastny's stature. However, if Florida was willing to accept a package consisting of Bozak, a 2011 1st round pick and a mid level prospect, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.
Bozak + the B's first-rounder? Doable but that's all I can say at that stage.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Won't happen.

Richards will be signed before than, or Sather will give him 12 million a year, which Burke will not match.
it doesn't have to be richards. we can sign a free agent centre similar to weiss without risking picks/prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
The thought of getting Weiss has really been growing on me lately. I think getting him would actually be a step in the right direction for the Leafs.
yeah because the first thing the leafs need is another undersized centre

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Deuce Awesome

What other centres are UFA's this summer besides Connolly and Richards?

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
it doesn't have to be richards. we can sign a free agent centre similar to weiss without risking picks/prospects.

The more offensive talent the Leafs acquire the better. Who cares if he is "undersized"? Beggers != Choosers.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Vladimir Tarasenko*

what was the title that people were having a heart attack over before?

Vladimir Tarasenko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I am not bashing Leafs fans and I am only talking about this thread. Everyone over hypes their prospects, there is no doubt about it.

But hearing people laugh at the thought of getting a Stephen Weiss for an unproven Nazem Kadri cracks me up. If Kadri was so good, then why isnt he in the NHL right now? If the Leafs have such holes to fill at center, why isnt he the kid to fill it?

I like the way Burke isnt rushing the kid for the sake of putting their future out there, but it is still in the realm of possibility that Kadri never lives up to his hype and never comes close to what Stephen Weiss has done at the NHL level.

All I am saying is there is no guarantee how Kadri turns out, and I would rather have the known commodity over the unknown..
here's the reason the Leafs aren't thrilled to get Weiss for an "unproven" Kadri. Because Weiss is proven to be a 2nd line center at best. Grabo's #'s this year are better and according to these boards, he's trash. Most sane folks project Kadri at worst to put up 60PT seasons. So...no thanks.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:01 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
oh Lord, not another "Dreger said" post.

Dreger is garbage, dude is wrong much more then right.

The only man worth listening to as an "insider" is Bob Mckenzie, and when the man says Toronto is in talks with Florida for Weiss, I am going to believe that Weiss is on the table and close to being moved. Bobby Mac doesnt waste time with nonsense.

Come Monday I think Toronto gets Stephen Weiss from the Panthers, and Tallon gets a 2011 1st, 2011 2nd, and Kadri....maybe???? Just an idea, not sure what to offer, but I would imagine Tallon wanting a 1st and Kadri without a doubt.. That is a lot to part ways with for Weiss, but it could be worth it for the Leafs to get him if they continue to win and get close to the playoffs..
I wouldn't trade Kadri straight up for Weiss, I hope Burke wouldn't either.

Weiss is a 27 yr old under sized 2nd line centre and Toronto already has one. I wouldn't trade our #1 prospect unless a true number 1 centre is coming back.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:04 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
The more offensive talent the Leafs acquire the better. Who cares if he is "undersized"? Beggers != Choosers.
good thing you're not the GM then. do you expect burke to pick up every potential talent knowing they're not a fit for the team?

Old
02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
good thing you're not the GM then. do you expect burke to pick up every potential talent knowing they're not a fit for the team?
Im sure Andy McDonald was too small when the Ducks won the cup.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
That is not how you build a contending team. Just taking what ever you can get.

Weiss isn't a true #1 center. He doesn't address our problem of size down the middle. Just because he is a better top 6 center than Tyler Bozak doesn't mean we should jump at the chance to over pay for him.

It's like saying you cant get Megan Fox so you should jump into bed with Rosie O'Donell.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:16 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post

Weiss isn't a true #1 center. He doesn't address our problem of size down the middle. Just because he is a better top 6 center than Tyler Bozak doesn't mean we should jump at the chance to over pay for him.

It's like saying you cant get Megan Fox so you should jump into bed with Rosie O'Donell.
Your argument relies upon us agreeing that our problem is a lack of size down the middle. I don't buy that, personally. What we need is more talent and competitiveness down the middle. Whether Weiss can provide that is another story, but I'd be happy to see him here at the right price.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post

You're acting like Weiss is terrible. Hes a bonafide top-6 center. Which we only have 1 of so far. Worst case scenario? He is our #1 center. Hes cap friendly so bumping him down the depth chart won't hurt if we do get a #1.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:21 PM
birddog*

Quote:
McDonald had 27 goals and 78 points that year along with 252 shots on net. When has Mr. 60 points ever come close to approaching those numbers? The comparisons stop there.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:23 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
did you just compare the two? andy mcdonald in his prime was putting up 80 points when they won the cup. weiss best season is around 60

Old
02-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Schennanigans

Cant see them deal him anyway. They are thinner on centre than we are.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:31 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
You're acting like Weiss is terrible. Hes a bonafide top-6 center. Which we only have 1 of so far. Worst case scenario? He is our #1 center. Hes cap friendly so bumping him down the depth chart won't hurt if we do get a #1.
Weiss is a good #2, he isnt a # 1. We already have a good #2 in Grabovski.
With the two of them we are still a weak (and small) team down the middle. We would still need a new #1 center and if we did get a #1 that would make Weiss an overpaid 3rd line center. Not only would we have an over paid 3rd line but we would be blocking the progress of out top 2 prospects.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:32 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Won't happen.

Burke will outbid anyone. He won't match 12 years though, maybe that's what you meant.

12 million for Richards lol

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Your argument relies upon us agreeing that our problem is a lack of size down the middle. I don't buy that, personally. What we need is more talent and competitiveness down the middle. Whether Weiss can provide that is another story, but I'd be happy to see him here at the right price.
And here in lies the argument, what is the right price. I feel leafs fans and panther fans are miles apart here.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:50 PM
jablueblue

If you can't find a legitimate #1, then having two of the leagues best second line centers isn't aweful, if the price is right. Although those seem to be the important words.

jablueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:51 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

to your bottom statement:

you say the last thing the Leafs need is another undersized center.....

but isnt that what Nazem Kadri is? kid is barely 6 feet and 160 lbs soaking wet!

he isnt some strapping physical two way force that you guys have been looking for. he has size and strength concerns as well, so how is Weiss a proven NHLer a risk, but an unproven kid with size issues like Kadri not an issue? not really directing this at you, but just to anyone in general as what I keep hearing is you dont want a smaller center and then say you dont want to part with Kadri.....isnt that a contradiction??

Kadri is a smaller center and will have concerns over his size until/if he grows and puts on some weight.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablueblue View Post
If you can't find a legitimate #1, then having two of the leagues best second line centers isn't aweful, if the price is right. Although those seem to be the important words.
There isn't a leaf fan who wouldn't want Weiss, but when names like Kadri and multiple picks start being talked about, the interest drastically falls off.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:53 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Tarasenko View Post
what was the title that people were having a heart attack over before?
the original title was Rumor: Weiss to the Leafs per Mckenzie.....I didnt type the "could go"....needless to say people got very excited!!!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote