HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 D corpse

Old
04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
llamateizer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
See this is the problem, if Emelin comes over, he needs to decide before July 1st.

Bieska is a good idea, kinda like the good ole Markov - Komi days. But the problem with Bieska, he has a decent shot, but nothing like Wiz, and if we go after Bieska, Wiz isn't in our plans.

Now this leaves Gill - gorges, are they ready to do what they did 2 years ago? I know GORGES is, but is Gill still capable? Who do we pair with GORGES to make him his most effective?
hate the Georges mispelling sorry

but bieksa vs Wiz, i prefer Wiz like you

Gill, its maybe over for him. But he is a playoffs performer

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post

Must be that long since I seen his name!

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I agree with the OP's list.

If the team is going to continue to be defensive minded with a small lineup then I'd like more mobility and offensive awareness on the back end. Spacek has to be included unless the plan is to trade him. But in all due respect to him he has been a multi-tasker too. I don't think he would be bad with Subban. Maybe put Wiz and Markov together and put Hamrlik on the third pairing with Gorges. IDK

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:04 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
See this is the problem, if Emelin comes over, he needs to decide before July 1st.

Bieska is a good idea, kinda like the good ole Markov - Komi days. But the problem with Bieska, he has a decent shot, but nothing like Wiz, and if we go after Bieska, Wiz isn't in our plans.

Now this leaves Gill - Gorges, are they ready to do what they did 2 years ago? I know Gorges is, but is Gill still capable? Who do we pair with Gorges to make him his most effective?
Don, is that you?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I'd take Wiz over Markov at this point. He's younger and Markov's knee is a huge question mark.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:35 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'd take Wiz over Markov at this point. He's younger and Markov's knee is a huge question mark.
It's a big deal what happens with them. First thing I'd do is see what's available in trades and/or FA's. We can't continue the way we're going on the back end.3 old guys playing too many minutes,they get hurt,then there's our excuse for another 6th-8th place finish.Gorges is very solid,but is not a top 4 d-man.Too small and gets worn out with big minutes and vs. physical teams.We need to get younger and more physical.I'd move Spacek for anything if possible,Hamr I wouldn't mind playing 3rd pairing minutes,with a reduced contract.Gill,I don't hate him,but too slow,soft and old.His big plus is he's a great 5 on 3 pker.That's it.Weber maybe can be used in a pkg to acquire a reghier -type.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Universe
Eh?

Quote:

Have you watched Josh Gorges play?

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

I am ready to see Gill, Hamrlik, Spacek and Sopel go. And possibly Mara but depending upon who we can get.

The 4 DMen that I mentioned are BRUTAL with their passing. Time for some new blood on the blue line.

Who I would like to see here.

Markov
Wiz
Subban
Gorges
Carkner
Weber/Carle/Nash

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:15 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
:/ he spelled it right. It`s Josh Gorges. The French name for George is Georges, but that`s another story.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Can we stop with the spell-checking in this thread? We're driving more and more south from the actual topic.

The problem I see with Gill is that yes, he is slow but his defensive game in itself is still good. He still blocks shots, does excellent work on the PK and works well in corners. He's also proving to be a good mentor for Subban, but those duties can easily be taken over by Hamrlik or even Spacek.

If you're going to replace Gill and Spacek, you need to bring in someone with experience to pick up the slack of helping out the youth. At least, that's my opinion.

As for Spacek, he's going into his final year next season. May be a possibility to trade him at the deadline, or he may prove people wrong and have a strong season.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Et le But

In an ideal world Spacek would be traded and Hamrlik resigned at a discount. Hammer back for cheap with limited minutes is ideal, but if a younger replacement can be found, great.

Bieska is appealing but he's probably going to be fought over for more money than he's worth just because he plays for the best team in the league. I'd be wary about overpaying him.

I think we should let Gill go. He will be missed in a lot of ways but he's just too limited in his 5 on 5 play at this point.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
HCH

I think Gill would be a nice addition to the coaching staff next year.... seriously!

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think Gill would be a nice addition to the coaching staff next year.... seriously!
In that regard, Hammer seems tempting as well...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 08:51 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Can we stop with the spell-checking in this thread? We're driving more and more south from the actual topic.

The problem I see with Gill is that yes, he is slow but his defensive game in itself is still good. He still blocks shots, does excellent work on the PK and works well in corners. He's also proving to be a good mentor for Subban, but those duties can easily be taken over by Hamrlik or even Spacek.

If you're going to replace Gill and Spacek, you need to bring in someone with experience to pick up the slack of helping out the youth. At least, that's my opinion.

As for Spacek, he's going into his final year next season. May be a possibility to trade him at the deadline, or he may prove people wrong and have a strong season.
Spacek @ $3.8m is an awful deal. He"ll be 36-37.No surprises left there. We have too many 3rd pairing d-men.And if you include Markov,Mara and Sopel there are plenty of old vets to help out the youth. Actually what youth,lol. P.K is set,but JM doesn't think much of Carle (who I think is solid),and Weber is too small unless we get some size,and Nash needs more time.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 08:56 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Hal Gill beat a forward to the puck the other day. Unfortunately it was Mike Cammalleri

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 04:35 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

Why? If you can't correctly spell the D's name that you highlight 3 times why should your opinion be of any value?

I don't think Hammer or anybody else can mentor PK like Gill can. They have a relationship it's fairly obvious and Hammer or Spacek can't simply step in and replace Gill.

Better to move Spacek if possible and sign players that take a home town discount AND agree to play specific roles while the core D's get the top 4 slots. Who? We'll only know once the organization defines their top 4 and then sign the other 3 guys to terms.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Serious HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
:/ he spelled it right. It`s Josh Gorges. The French name for George is Georges, but that`s another story.
so are you implying he was the captain of a whl team? can you confirm?

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:06 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I agree with the OP.

The only reason the Habs are ranked so high defensively is because of Price. The defence is just mediocre at best. Says a lot when your best defenceman is a rookie.

Way too slow, teams have no problem dumping the puck in and winning battles down low.

I'd like to see a big splash for a guy like Ehrhoff, great speed. No more of this Hamrlik business. People drool over him like he's some sort of god. Wow, congratulations, you play the most minutes on a team that is battling for 8th. He's getting worse every year.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:13 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious HABit View Post
so are you implying he was the captain of a whl team? can you confirm?
damn its been a long time since I heard that joke.

Gorges

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Most of our defensemen seem to be about as old as your average glacier and not much faster. I don't know if Hal Gill has ever beaten a forward to a puck on a dump in and that causes problems both offensively and defensively.

We wind up hemmed into our own end and take penalties to compensate. Quicker defensemen would get to the puck first, make the transition pass and negate the forecheck of the opposition. That would lead to more scoring opportunities for our forwards.

Currently, it is the opposition that is getting the scoring chances because they are constantly gaining control of the puck in our end. It's become more than annoying to to see our defensemen plodding along.

I don't want to be living in next year country just yet, but looking forward I really hope that Gauthier doesn't offer too many contracts to this lead-footed crew. That group would include Gill, Sopel and Mara

Looking outsided the organization for help doesn't look feasible at the moment. If we could add talent via trade or free agency, that would be fine but i wouldn't count on it. They would have to be able to skate and/or be extremely tough.

Based on players currently in our system, I would like to see the following guys be given a chance to make the team next year. Let the best men win. I really don't know what I would do about the Spacek situation.

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Wisniewski
Emelin
Hamrlik
Weber
Nash
What Spacek situation? The situation where he plays almost 20 minutes a game in tough defensive situations can move the puck well and would give our defence some much needed relief and veteran leadership if he were to come back...THAT situation? I know the guy is making about 1 million too much but we have him so why not appreciate him for what he is; and not for what he's not?

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I agree with the OP.

The only reason the Habs are ranked so high defensively is because of Price. The defence is just mediocre at best. Says a lot when your best defenceman is a rookie.

Way too slow, teams have no problem dumping the puck in and winning battles down low.

I'd like to see a big splash for a guy like Ehrhoff, great speed. No more of this Hamrlik business. People drool over him like he's some sort of god. Wow, congratulations, you play the most minutes on a team that is battling for 8th. He's getting worse every year.
That would only be true if we were out shot and out chanced in every game. That's not the case. In fact, we're always run down by analysts because of our BLOCKED shots which are of course blocked prior to hitting our goalie and of course reliant on our defense.

Look, the same could be said about Tim Thomas and the stupid start to the season he had where nothing went in and the B's were out shot in every game. You could make the claim that the B's owe their first place division exclusively to him. The elite D-man Chara is only mentioned in Norris discussions when TT is being considered for the Vezina. Remove TT from the equation today and suddenly the B's don't look as good. How is that different from our situation?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
That would only be true if we were out shot and out chanced in every game. That's not the case. In fact, we're always run down by analysts because of our BLOCKED shots which are of course blocked prior to hitting our goalie and of course reliant on our defense.

Look, the same could be said about Tim Thomas and the stupid start to the season he had where nothing went in and the B's were out shot in every game. You could make the claim that the B's owe their first place division exclusively to him. The elite D-man Chara is only mentioned in Norris discussions when TT is being considered for the Vezina. Remove TT from the equation today and suddenly the B's don't look as good. How is that different from our situation?
Because the Bruins just clinched the division and the Habs just had one of their worst month in history. Bad times bring the dark clouds and people who are only ready to see the worst for the team.

Some people on these boards are saying how the KINGS are a better organization. The freakin' KINGS who played like garbage for over a decade and have nothing to show for it except 5 more points in the overall standings. But don't say anything positive or you're a rose-coloured glasses wearing idealist who isn't as wise as those great pessimists.

Ignore it, they're not interested in facts, they're mad and don't want to see anything good about anything. Go back to the first week of March and there is none of this "blow up the team and start from scratch" garbage anywhere.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
dcyhabs

Geez, Hamrlik gets no respect. He's slower than he was but he's still very effective and he wants to come back so they can probably get a good deal.

I agree that we need a few more guys who can carry the puck and pass, but just swapping in Weber for one of the injury-replacement guys should help in that sense, and playing Markov 25 odd minutes a game would pretty much fix all the team's problems.

Gill is going to be a tough decision, good reach, good room, terrible play with the puck.

I'd like to see Mara as 7th D next year. Not a great player but he's got heart and grit.

Spacek is overpaid but there is not much point in burying him for his one remaining season. He highlights the problem with fighting in the NHL. He never wants to fight, always gets injured when he does, and yet goons fight him with no instigator penalty.

I doubt there is much logic to complaining about the D this year with so many guys out and so many replacements.

I miss O'Byrne. Carbonneau and Martin turfed way too many young players who did just fine for other teams. (Sergei, O'Byrne, Perezhogin, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Streit...). Hold some of the vets responsible and let the young guys make one bad play without benching them...

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:11 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Geez, Hamrlik gets no respect. He's slower than he was but he's still very effective and he wants to come back so they can probably get a good deal.

I agree that we need a few more guys who can carry the puck and pass, but just swapping in Weber for one of the injury-replacement guys should help in that sense, and playing Markov 25 odd minutes a game would pretty much fix all the team's problems.

Gill is going to be a tough decision, good reach, good room, terrible play with the puck.

I'd like to see Mara as 7th D next year. Not a great player but he's got heart and grit.

Spacek is overpaid but there is not much point in burying him for his one remaining season. He highlights the problem with fighting in the NHL. He never wants to fight, always gets injured when he does, and yet goons fight him with no instigator penalty.

I doubt there is much logic to complaining about the D this year with so many guys out and so many replacements.

I miss O'Byrne. Carbonneau and Martin turfed way too many young players who did just fine for other teams. (Sergei, O'Byrne, Perezhogin, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Streit...). Hold some of the vets responsible and let the young guys make one bad play without benching them...
I get that Martin seems to be a bit Harsh on our young guys, but some of them really do seem to learn from it. Eller has looked better and better as the season has gone on, Max turned into an everyday top 6 forward, PK is playing like a top pairing defencemen.

Pouliot is a negative for now, for whatever reason he can't seem to find the consistency required to break into the top 6 where we need him. SK's problems were the Montreal nightlife I think more so than the coaches.

No system is ever going to develop every young player. Martin's system is going to work for some and not for others. Just like every other coach and GM's systems in the league. If zero of our young players were developing then I'd be concerned.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:18 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

IMO Subban won't need a mentor next year. His largest need for a mentor came in last year's playoffs and earlier this year. Another d-man provided that in last year's playoffs and Gill this year. Right now Subban is carrying Gill even on the penalty kill. Subban clears the puck on the PK incredibly well -much better than Gill.

It would be nice if the D would be more offensive oriented to help the smurfs. Gill's a great shut down guy but has no business in the top four with Subban. When the Habs fall behind he immediately becomes a bigger liability.

Having Markov, Wiz and Subban would be incredible. Gorges will be the shut down guy and Spacek is on the roster and not that bad of a player on his natural side. If the Habs could sign another d-man for relatively cheap and save money / assets for another power forward then I'd be happy.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote