HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #62 Colorado @ Los Angeles 4-3 L Final|What were you trying to win?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
  #451
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
Fun with shift charts.

Erik Johnson: 24:17 TOI, out for 2 goals for, none against.

JML: 21:25 TOI, out for two goals for, one against.

Jonas Holos: 18:04 TOI, out for three goals against, none for.

Cameron Guance: 12:20 TOI, out for two goals against, none for.

Ryan Wilson: 24:13 TOI, out for zero goals against, none for.

Matt Hunwick: 20:09 TOI, out for two goals against, none for.

When you look at it, Johnson and Wilson actually played decently.

Everyone else, not so much.
Gaunce played with Funwick so he gets a pass in my book. I thought he played a solid game and Funwick was his usual out of position and outmuscled self.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:48 PM
  #452
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Oh was it? Sorry I thought it was also on the PP. My mistake.

Anyways my thoughts on the game.

-Lets get this out of the way: This is a bad team.

-Holos is by far the worst defenceman on this team. Yes, worse than Hunwick. Just terrible plays all over the place. Soft as butter. Gets pushed off the puck so easily. What happened to all those things we were hearing about how Holos is as strong as an ox? Sounds like BS to me.

-I am really, really liking Ryan Wilson's game the last 20 or so. He's playing like the Wilson we saw during his rookie season pre concussion where he was dishing out hits left and right. I said this a few pages back but I think it's worth repeating. Wilson is a very, very good defender without the puck on his stick. When he gets into trouble is when he has the puck. If he can clean up some of his decision making WITH the puck, we'll have a very solid bottom four dman on our hands.

-EJ was very good today. Kept things more simple and it payed off. Nice to see he picked up a couple helpers and gets a plus 2. He is what this team needed since Blake left.

-Gaunce needs a bit more seasoning IMO but I like his potential.

-Send Holos down and call up Chouinard. I'd like to see what he has.

Duchene is in a bad, bad slump right now. He's doing nothing (good) out there.
Holos did look bad. That little spin he did on the goal where he lost his man was absolutely horrific. I am ready for him to go down.

Wilson is playing very well but he HAS to be careful chasing those big hits. I know that is his homerun play but twice in this game he got caught badly out of position after missing the big hit.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:49 PM
  #453
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 19,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Gaunce played with Funwick so he gets a pass in my book. I thought he played a solid game and Funwick was his usual out of position and outmuscled self.
I thought he was alright. I really like the way he plays down around the net. In space, not so much. I didn't have real problem with the way he played.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:51 PM
  #454
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 19,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Holos did look bad. That little spin he did on the goal where he lost his man was absolutely horrific. I am ready for him to go down.

Wilson is playing very well but he HAS to be careful chasing those big hits. I know that is his homerun play but twice in this game he got caught badly out of position after missing the big hit.
Playing with Johnson could really help Wilson chase those hits, because now if he does that and gets way out of position there isn't a guaranteed score on the other end.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
  #455
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
Playing with Johnson could really help Wilson chase those hits, because now if he does that and gets way out of position there isn't a guaranteed score on the other end.
True but he really left Johnson on an island with the first one I noticed. To EJ's credit he went down on one knee sliding to defend the 2 on 1 that was created and I think this disturbed the play just enough. It created a real dangerous opportunity though. I love Wilson's hitting so I guess you just have to deal with some of this. I hope he picks his spots a little better (open ice in the crease on a rush is probably not the place) but the payoff when he connects is worth a couple of gaffes in the end. You know guys around the league fear his hitting.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:16 PM
  #456
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 19,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
True but he really left Johnson on an island with the first one I noticed. To EJ's credit he went down on one knee sliding to defend the 2 on 1 that was created and I think this disturbed the play just enough. It created a real dangerous opportunity though. I love Wilson's hitting so I guess you just have to deal with some of this. I hope he picks his spots a little better (open ice in the crease on a rush is probably not the place) but the payoff when he connects is worth a couple of gaffes in the end. You know guys around the league fear his hitting.
If this team actually backchecked it wouldn't be a problem. And I'm not a fan of leaving EJ on an island, but I'm okay with it once or twice a game in return for a big hit.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
  #457
KHaosActual
Registered User
 
KHaosActual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Germany
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Isn't Holos also playing hurt? Especially if it is with a head injury, he shouldn't be playing at all. The Avs need to do a better job at keeping the players healthy. There's no reason to risk any more injuries, especially of the concussion type.

KHaosActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
  #458
shorn89
Registered User
 
shorn89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Duchene is in a bad, bad slump right now. He's doing nothing (good) out there.

He is playing with only one hand right now. I think the only reason he is not in the press box healing is his drive and desire to be there for the team.

shorn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
  #459
vwbanana
Registered User
 
vwbanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
It's fun to look at players and pick out who's looked bad from one game to another, but if there's one thing to be certain about, Sacco is doing a horrible, horrible, horrible job. LA announcers kept bringing up lack of discipline with the Avs. Oh well, Sacco has only cost the team Stewart, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Anderson and Hannan. It's clear that these weren't bad players but that they weren't playing well under a terrible coach. Avs are playing no better since the trade.

vwbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
  #460
vwbanana
Registered User
 
vwbanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbanana View Post
It's fun to look at players and pick out who's looked bad from one game to another, but if there's one thing to be certain about, Sacco is doing a horrible, horrible, horrible job. LA announcers kept bringing up lack of discipline with the Avs. Oh well, Sacco has only cost the team Stewart, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Anderson and Hannan. It's clear that these weren't bad players but that they weren't playing well under a terrible coach. Avs are playing no better since the trade.
I would like to say that the Hannan trade could turn out to be good if Fleischman resumes his career.

vwbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:35 PM
  #461
Freudian
Deja vu again?
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 32,177
vCash: 804
Jones is now on a 31 goal season pace (82 games). That's some deodorant in the armpit that is this season.

Will be interesting to see how much he gets this summer. Assuming someone doesn't break him before negotiations.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
  #462
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Jones is now on a 31 goal season pace (82 games). That's some deodorant in the armpit that is this season.

Will be interesting to see how much he gets this summer. Assuming someone doesn't break him before negotiations.
Or he gets traded god I hope not

Because he is so young/unproven/etc.

I'd say something like 3yrs/6mil or something (2.0mil/season)

He could end up like any other young bloomer... He's got talent though.

I remember over the summer saying he could get 40 by the time he retires.

I don't think that now, but goes to show how much I expect out of him.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:42 PM
  #463
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
 
detrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 3,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Jones is now on a 31 goal season pace (82 games). That's some deodorant in the armpit that is this season.

Will be interesting to see how much he gets this summer. Assuming someone doesn't break him before negotiations.
He's quietly having a very good season. I've been really impressed with his deflections and front of the net work lately. With Johnson throwing bombs from the point, he could be a very effective PP player going forward if he keeps this up.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:03 PM
  #464
Gumballhead
Registered User
 
Gumballhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
This game is quite bad. I can't even imagine how boring it must be if you don't like one of the teams.
It was super boring in person. Well, until the last 10 minutes or so. Stastny impressed me a lot, he does a lot of little things. So did the brunette Ice Girl for the Kings. Things I never picked up on watching games on TV.

And Staples was church quiet unless they scored. Kings fans are good fans, but man that is not a live building until the playoffs.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:08 PM
  #465
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Jones is now on a 31 goal season pace (82 games). That's some deodorant in the armpit that is this season.

Will be interesting to see how much he gets this summer. Assuming someone doesn't break him before negotiations.
Lulz.

I agree the Jones scoring development is very welcome. If he gets 30 even in a season with some injury challenges I think it really cements him as a scoring threat. That soothes the sting of losing Stewart a little. Even moreso when EJ is the one feeding those goals.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:39 PM
  #466
4hockey8
Registered User
 
4hockey8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
I wonder what really happen in the locker room? Are things as bad as in the ice? They absolutely have no pride.
I disagree with this assessment. It's not that they don't have pride - at least the core players. It's that they have such few core players with skill to accomplish what you have to accomplish to compete in the NHL today. Seriously, look top to bottom at the lineup and tell me there are more than 50% of the those players who realistically should be playing on an NHL team. That's the result of having the 3rd lowest payroll in the league - effort doesn't win without skill when the other team has both effort AND skill (and goaltending....)

It doesn't matter what athletic endeavor you are referring to - skill always bests non-skill when every other variable is a match.

4hockey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:12 AM
  #467
Mant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
I'm rapidly losing any desire to watch any further avs games this season. I am embarrassed to be an avalanche fan.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:17 AM
  #468
Mules
Ouch!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
I'm rapidly losing any desire to watch any further avs games this season. I am embarrassed to be an avalanche fan.
I know what you mean, I got very frustrated during the game. The way they played was an embarresment. I don't buy that we "don't have the talent or skill" mentality. I am really questioning GM and coach about this as I don't think this team is as bad as their record right now.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
  #469
Mules
Ouch!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hockey8 View Post
I disagree with this assessment. It's not that they don't have pride - at least the core players. It's that they have such few core players with skill to accomplish what you have to accomplish to compete in the NHL today. Seriously, look top to bottom at the lineup and tell me there are more than 50% of the those players who realistically should be playing on an NHL team. That's the result of having the 3rd lowest payroll in the league - effort doesn't win without skill when the other team has both effort AND skill (and goaltending....)

It doesn't matter what athletic endeavor you are referring to - skill always bests non-skill when every other variable is a match.
I am start to wonder if last year is over accomplishment. I think we may have too many sophomore slumpers in our team, or well... our coach is being exposed as rookie coach.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:25 AM
  #470
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
I know what you mean, I got very frustrated during the game. The way they played was an embarresment. I don't buy that we "don't have the talent or skill" mentality. I am really questioning GM and coach about this as I don't think this team is as bad as their record right now.
I agree with you but it's not Sherman's fault he made trades to better the team, I think it's Sacco and the players as whole they're not showing up. This year is def worse than 09 because that year the avs were hurt , this year no excuse. If they don't get a quality d man and a legit number 1 goalie, then it's 100% shermans fault and he should be fired. I really hope they spend some $ in the offseason.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:33 AM
  #471
TheStranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbanana View Post
It's fun to look at players and pick out who's looked bad from one game to another, but if there's one thing to be certain about, Sacco is doing a horrible, horrible, horrible job. LA announcers kept bringing up lack of discipline with the Avs. Oh well, Sacco has only cost the team Stewart, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Anderson and Hannan. It's clear that these weren't bad players but that they weren't playing well under a terrible coach. Avs are playing no better since the trade.
I'm confused...Did you think the trade was made to improve this year's team? Did anyone think this? I've seen it a few times people saying "Lolz the team still sucks!". Anyone who thought that they'd see an immediate improvement in the team because of the trade was way off.

Let me see, Avs can't score goals...Avs trade one of their top offensive players and an offensive defenseman to improve defense...and you thought they'd start winning games? They made the move to improve the team next year and the years following, when they get healthy, and when the rest of the defense has (hopefully) sorted itself out.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:34 AM
  #472
29AvalancheWarning09
Stanley Cup Attitude
 
29AvalancheWarning09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Wales
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
I'm rapidly losing any desire to watch any further avs games this season. I am embarrassed to be an avalanche fan.
Fairweather Fan

29AvalancheWarning09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:34 AM
  #473
Mant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I agree with you but it's not Sherman's fault he made trades to better the team, I think it's Sacco and the players as whole they're not showing up. This year is def worse than 09 because that year the avs were hurt , this year no excuse. If they don't get a quality d man and a legit number 1 goalie, then it's 100% shermans fault and he should be fired. I really hope they spend some $ in the offseason.
Wait, what? Injuries are a good enough excuse for 09, but not this season? They've easily had as many, or more, injuries this season... what the hell have you been smoking?

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:36 AM
  #474
Mant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoote View Post
Fairweather Fan
Fall on a rake.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:39 AM
  #475
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Wait, what? Injuries are a good enough excuse for 09, but not this season? They've easily had as many, or more, injuries this season... what the hell have you been smoking?
I know the avs had a lot of injuries this year but in 09 the core players were out most of year, this year a lot of the injuries are to the lesser players.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.