HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Player salaries/injuries question??

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 06:39 PM
trahans99

vCash: 500
Player salaries/injuries question??

What happends when a player is injured for 1/2 season (as an example), do they get paid there full salary from their team? Lets use Jason Allison for example, if he signed at 1 year 5M deal for this year and was hurt right at the 1/2 point in the season. Would L.A. only have to pay him 2.5M and insurance pay the rest or would they have to pay him the full 5M.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:40 AM
operasen

I believe each team can only submit a list to Insurance listing top 5 player's salary. If the player is on the list insurance kicks in for salary/expenses - if he's not club pays.

Take Steve Moore, who was not on the list of insurables. Avs were paying salary and medical expenses - and have now let him go, so they are off the hook and Moore's personal insurance (if he has any) has to carry the load.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:55 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen
I believe each team can only submit a list to Insurance listing top 5 player's salary. If the player is on the list insurance kicks in for salary/expenses - if he's not club pays.

Take Steve Moore, who was not on the list of insurables. Avs were paying salary and medical expenses - and have now let him go, so they are off the hook and Moore's personal insurance (if he has any) has to carry the load.

To clerify

If a player is injured on the ice or while doing something undeer the teams watch--the NHLPA and the NHL has to cover his insurance untill he clears what is described as an average medical exam

Old
07-03-2004, 12:16 AM
trahans99

So did NYR have to pay Bure at all for this past season? And what about when Lindros was out with concussions over the past 5 years, did the teams (NYR or PHI) have to pay them while he was out??

Old
07-03-2004, 01:29 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
On-ice injuries do not absolve the organization from it's obligation to pay the contract. The organization must pay the player in FULL. If there is an insurance policy (which I think is only on the top 5 highest paid for each organization), the organization receives indemnity from the insurance company.

In short: team pays the player the full amount, insurance company reimburses the team for whatever the policy covered.

Using the Allison example, the Kings paid Allison the full amount of his contract. Once Allison missed his 20th game (I think the threshold is 20), the insurance policy kicks in and the Kings were reimbursed something like 75% of the contract amount. Or take Deadmarsh, he was injuried two years ago, the Kings had to pay his contract in full and insurance reimbursed. However, the Kings signed Deadmarsh to $3M/year last year but there was no insurance coverage because of his pre-existing injury of two years ago. So the Kings had to pay Deadmarsh the full $3M without reimbursement even though Deadmarsh did not play a single game.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 07-03-2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old
07-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
On-ice injuries do not absolve the organization from it's obligation to pay the contract. The organization must pay the player in FULL. If there is an insurance policy (which I think is only on the top 5 highest paid for each organization), the organization receives indemnity from the insurance company.

In short: team pays the player the full amount, insurance company reimburses the team for whatever the policy covered.

Using the Allison example, the Kings paid Allison the full amount of his contract. Once Allison missed his 20th game (I think the threshold is 20), the insurance policy kicks in and the Kings were reimbursed something like 75% of the contract amount. Or take Deadmarsh, he was injuried two years ago, the Kings had to pay his contract in full and insurance reimbursed. However, the Kings signed Deadmarsh to $3M/year last year but there was no insurance coverage because of his pre-existing injury of two years ago. So the Kings had to pay Deadmarsh the full $3M without reimbursement even though Deadmarsh did not play a single game.
The threshold is 30 games.

07-03-2004, 03:49 AM
skolgoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
The threshold is 30 games.
Actually, unless you are absolutely certain, I am pretty sure that the threshold is 30 DAYS. Players in the NHL get paid monthly. There is some convoluted calculation as to how that works when a player switches teams, either through a trade or waivers as to number of game days and off days, but still players get paid every month.

The deductible once the player hits the threshold is 20%, meaning that the insurance company is on the hook for 80% once the threshold is hit.

30 games can't be correct, because that would mean that the team would have to pay almost the half the season if the player didn't play at all.

Another note ... when a player comes back from injury, the threshold restarts. That is, if a player is out 29 days, plays one game and is injured, he would have to be out for another 30 days for the insurance to kick in.

The question that I have is: does the injury time carry over to the next season? In Allison's case, did he have to pass the 30 day threshold again this year, or did his insurance start immediately because he was injured at the end of last season?

Old
07-03-2004, 04:27 AM
cws
...in the drink

Pardon my ignorance, but is this a league-wide type of policy? Or does this vary from team to team, player to player; maybe dependant upon the terms of a specific contract?

In no way am I trying to be a smartass, I just know very little about the insurance procedures and/or policies pertaining to NHL players. Just a curious SOB.

Closed Thread