HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubi needs to elevate his game...

Old
02-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Dubi needs to elevate his game...

call it going with what my eyes tell me, but the dubi ive seen the past few weeks is not the same dubi that started the season. that dubi was around the puck on every shift. he made things happen, he was a dominating player that you couldn't hope to stop by yourself.

lately dubi has been kinda meh for me. i think he needs to pick up his play, i guess the points are there since he came back from his injury, with 5 points in the 11 games...but the play...its just not Dubi.

am i making any sense?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:30 AM
NYR Viper

Yes. This is what he does. He looks unstoppable and then disappears. Its frustrating to say the least. His game-plan should be simple. Hit. Be around the net. Keep the game simple and realize you are not a skill player.

He gets into trouble when he thinks he can dipsy-doodle around people and gets away from his physically dominating game.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:24 AM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

It's possible that he is still be affected by the stress fracture.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
It's possible that he is still be affected by the stress fracture.
exactly, and I think he is playing fine and making nice plays.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He's a streaky player. Always has been, probably always will be.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:27 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Which is why I for one have long been on record that it wouldn't be a calamity to consider trading him - assuming it's for a legit first line forward. Others see Ryan Kesler in him. Well, he's not consistent enough to be Ryan Kesler, so if you can get Ryan Kesler VALUE for him, you should do it.

Don't get me wrong - he is still a damn good player and obviously a key cog to the team's success when he IS playing well.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:08 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I had a conversation a few weeks back about how Dubi's game seems so reliant on his center's game this season. When Anisimov was really going and playing a heavily offensive game, Dubi was wreaking havoc. Now Ani's game has become much more two way since all the injuries afflicted the team. Which isn't a knock on him, as the team required much more disciplined two way play, and Ani was one of our best forechecking/back checking centers during that stretch.

Dubi might be a player that's heavily reliant on the type of center he plays with. Right before his leg injury he was kind of in a cold streak, and then I think they were playing Buffalo and Torts put him on a line with Boyle and Prust for a few shifts. His game was dominating to finish that game, while prior he was on a line with Stepan and Zucc and looked like he was always a few seconds too slow.

Makes me wonder exactly what type of player Dubi would be if he was being centered by an Eric Staal type pivot. I think a power forward type of center fits his game much better than a natural perimeter playmaker.

Dubi's game isn't superstar level, and he doesn't seem to be the type that makes others around him better. But when he's paired with the right combo, his game is pretty damn amazing.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Which is why I for one have long been on record that it wouldn't be a calamity to consider trading him - assuming it's for a legit first line forward. Others see Ryan Kesler in him. Well, he's not consistent enough to be Ryan Kesler, so if you can get Ryan Kesler VALUE for him, you should do it.

Don't get me wrong - he is still a damn good player and obviously a key cog to the team's success when he IS playing well.
I think if he had the Sedins on his team drawing the top D pairings every night he would have more consistency . In a game like last night Dubi played a lot of minutes opposite OV . This could cause him to focus more on play away from the puck then offense only . Just my 2 cents

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Blazephr

and now we're backing to trading Dubi??? unreal.

I'm almost certain Dubi is still feeling the effects of the stress fracture. He returned from injury a little too soon IMO.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
I had a conversation a few weeks back about how Dubi's game seems so reliant on his center's game this season. When Anisimov was really going and playing a heavily offensive game, Dubi was wreaking havoc. Now Ani's game has become much more two way since all the injuries afflicted the team.
Or is it the other way around? I think Ansimov fed off of Dubinsky's hot streak after the Gaborik injury.

I'm thinking more Alex Burrows than Ryan Kessler. Not elite skills, just good skills and an ability to exploit them when opposition defense if too busy trying to contain his linemates.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
and now we're backing to trading Dubi??? unreal.

I'm almost certain Dubi is still feeling the effects of the stress fracture. He returned from injury a little too soon IMO.
i know those fans are stupid that want to trade dubinsky. yep lets be the team with all soft players and no power forwards. i guess those fans still want the Rangers to bring back Nedved

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
He is cold, right now, which as acceptable given the fact he was scoring at a 40 goal season pace early in the year?

I'll take 43 in 58 games, personally considering not only is he going to likely e improving on last year's totals, but he'll be doing it without spending half of the year with an on-fire Marian Gaborik.

Ideally, he is a second line winger on this team going forward which is why 25 goals 55 points would be an outstanding output from him.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Kesler in 2007 when he was 23 years old he had played 80 games 21 goals 16 assist 37 pts and 79 pim

Dubinsky in 2009 when he was 23 years old had played 69 games 20 goals 24 assist 44 pts 54 pim

not a bad comparison but i dont think Kesler has played the wing, both have grit and are team guys. teams need players like that, its not always about skill.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:02 AM
bubba5

He needs to step up. No trade talk, he is not going anywhere, just step it up!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The comparison of the play of players in different stages of their careers has gotta stop. Kesler and Dubinsky play similar games, but Kesler is 2 years older than him. If you wanna compare the two guys, Dubinsky actually has better stats at his age than Kesler did. So Dubinsky is still a little inconsistent right now. He is still more consistent than he was last season, a season in which he was more consistent than the year before. His game is fully developed, but finding that consistency sometimes takes another couple of years. It still may not happen, which of course is why he might never be a legit first line winger. It still might come though. There is a reason why typically a players prime is considered to be in his upper 20s.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:36 AM
TrollololBoyle

Being consistent is the hardest thing to do in the NHL, and that has come from several player's own mouths.

Dubinsky was going on a 40 goal pace (as Fitzy Duke of NY stated) and then went down with a stress fracture. There is absolutely no way he comes back and maintains that 40 goal pace, and I doubt there is anyone in the NHL that could. All players hit a cold streak at one time or another, and most would be extremely lucky if they only had one cold streak in a season, well... Dubinsky is on a cold streak right now, and it's nothing to worry or complain about.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:46 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I swear people get blinders on when it comes to their favorite players and lose all reading comprehension skills. What I said was that if we could trade him for the same kind of value we could get in return for Ryan Kesler, we should do it.

In other words, imagine if we actually had Kesler on this team and put him on the open market and got teams to bid for him - if we are able to achieve value approximating THOSE kinds of offers, we should do it. It's not like I'm proposing we have to move him right now and should be looking to swap him for Bryan McCabe. But if you could use him as the centerpiece of a package to get a legit 1C under contract and under the age of 28? I don't think twice about it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
ecemleafs

He's still on the puck all the time from the games i see.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:50 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yes. This is what he does. He looks unstoppable and then disappears. Its frustrating to say the least. His game-plan should be simple. Hit. Be around the net. Keep the game simple and realize you are not a skill player.

He gets into trouble when he thinks he can dipsy-doodle around people and gets away from his physically dominating game.
For this whole team it needs to throw hits with abandon, it needs and seems to feed off of beating up the other team and maybe intimidating it a little bit which is why I can't wait to see a team try to last 4-7 games especially the teams I don't like haha. I have a feeling come PO time they might not do this though.

This goes for Dubs too. he's just not throwing hits. i think it gets them all into the game more and pumps the small extra bit of adrenaline needed to win puck battle and pull off some sick dangles. Remember the start Dubs was stick handling around guys as well as going to the net and he was trucking people and fighting (usually verbally) evbery game.AA and Cally also were playing fantastic which helped but again Cally was also throwing hits along with Dubs and AA was picking his spots

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
XLJ

Dubinsky was our most consistent player before he got hurt. He hasn't been bad but he hasn't been playing like he was before his injury. I know he came back earlier than expected I wonder if his injury is still effecting him.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Dubinsky was our most consistent player before he got hurt. He hasn't been bad but he hasn't been playing like he was before his injury. I know he came back earlier than expected I wonder if his injury is still effecting him.
maybe. alot of players come back early and it takes time to get the timing back. i wouldnt be worried. Dubinsky will be ready for the playoffs. and that what counts. he is a part of the core of this team.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
I had a conversation a few weeks back about how Dubi's game seems so reliant on his center's game this season. When Anisimov was really going and playing a heavily offensive game, Dubi was wreaking havoc. Now Ani's game has become much more two way since all the injuries afflicted the team. Which isn't a knock on him, as the team required much more disciplined two way play, and Ani was one of our best forechecking/back checking centers during that stretch.

Dubi might be a player that's heavily reliant on the type of center he plays with. Right before his leg injury he was kind of in a cold streak, and then I think they were playing Buffalo and Torts put him on a line with Boyle and Prust for a few shifts. His game was dominating to finish that game, while prior he was on a line with Stepan and Zucc and looked like he was always a few seconds too slow.

Makes me wonder exactly what type of player Dubi would be if he was being centered by an Eric Staal type pivot. I think a power forward type of center fits his game much better than a natural perimeter playmaker.

Dubi's game isn't superstar level, and he doesn't seem to be the type that makes others around him better. But when he's paired with the right combo, his game is pretty damn amazing.
I see the point you are making but I don't agree with it totally. I do like the idea of Dubinsky playing with say an Eric Staal. I think the two would control the play together in the offensive zone and never hurt in your own end. But Eric Staal is a top ten center IMO. I like the idea of Dubi playing with Jason Spezza also. Spezza had his best years with a big Left handed LW. I think that kind of a combo would be great together and could post up some very productive seasons. Those are the kind of players that could put him up in the 70pt range.

However...I just don't think Dubi is only as good as the company he plays with. I think Dubi elevates the play of others that play with him. He is actually more of the playmaker at times. I don't care about the last game or two in particular. Just because he was off the scoreboard to me doesn't define his performance. I think he was just OK, but the Dubi that we have been used to this season is a bull and stands out on a nightly basis and at times on every shift. On this team in particular club I think Dubi would give you the same output whether he was centered by Anisimov, Stepan or Christensen.

I think he gonna be just fine and will probably bounce back with a bigtime effort in the next game or so. To me, as a forward I don;t think there is any one single player with as much importance as Dubi is to this years NY Rangers squad.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
lbrowne

Has Dubi gone a bit cold? Maybe.

Is he still making things happen on the ice regardless? Yes.

His team leading 43 points along with everything else he does cuts him some slack in my book.

You trade a guy like Dubi and you're trading away a young key core player of our group. Some people just really think the grass is greener on the other side.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

only 1 person is really talking about trading him. i dont want to trad ehim.

but i dont see what i saw from him earlier in the season. where he was just dominant out there. hes looking like a support player right now, whereas earlier he was the focal point of his lines offense.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

See 2k2's post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
But Doober's still helping the team when he's not scoring though. He is a valuable PK'er and a physical presence out there.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote