HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Karia in a Kings Uniform? You've got to be kidding me...

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2004, 10:47 PM
MightyAdam

vCash: 500
Paul Karia in a Kings Uniform? You've got to be kidding me...

It has been rumored around the league quite a bit that Paul Karia might be looking to play in Los Angeles. He definetely can fit the shoes of Palffy. I personally think he can benefit a team more than Palffy. I remember watching some games when Karia was still in a Ducks uniform and him playing against the Kings, and hearing the Kings announcer complain that Palffy does not get the same respect from the referees as Karia. Plus, Karia is younger then Palffy. But why the Kings? Would he actually have the gull to come back to California and play for another team other then the Ducks? Wow! That sure would be back-stabbing to the team that gave him money for the house he lives in. Why not come back to the Ducks? Him on a line with Federov and any other player would be an awesome line. What do you kings fans think about this? Would you take Karia? Maybe I am still bitter but I think the reason why he would want to be a king is so he wouldn't be booed at the Pond. See, last year, he didn't step foot in the pond once (due to injury). And by going to the Kings, he will never have to be booed. The reason is, when the Kings play the Ducks at the Pond, there are as much kings fans as there are Ducks fans. That would mean Karia would never hear the boo's, cause they would be drowned out with the cheering. Just my opinion. It probably isn't true. But oh well. Does he really think the Kings can bring him a stanley cup? No offense. But they missed the last two years of the playoffs. I am personally a former Kings fan. I dedicatedly watched them for two years lose to Colorado in the playoffs and when the Ducks got Oates the next year, I became a Ducks fan. I have to admit though, if Karia comes back to LA and the Kings play half as awesome as they played last year, I might consider being a devout Kings fan again.

Last edited by MightyAdam: 07-03-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old
07-03-2004, 10:56 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAdam
I am personally a former Kings fan. I dedicatedly watched them for two years lose to Colorado in the playoffs and when the Ducks got Oates the next year, I became a Ducks fan. I have to admit though, if Karia comes back to LA and the Kings play half as awesome as they played last year, I might consider being a devout Kings fan again.
Devout Kings fans don't become Ducks fans over Adam Oates.

And to answer your question, yes, if Kariya wears the jersey and plays like he can, I'll accept him. Anything less and he's a lame duck in my books.

T2M

Old
07-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I would love to see Kariya in LA. I would take Palffy and Demitra before him probably but Kariya brings a game that I love. He was Anaheim. No question he can still put up all-star numbers.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Was I the only one that noticed Kariya is spelled wrong every time in MightyAdam's post. It's Paul Kariya not Paul Karia. Sorry Adam. But get it right.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Kariya filling the shoes of Palffy? Good one, ace. Maybe back in the late 1990s. The last time Kariya outscored Palffy was back in the 1999-2000 season. That's also the last year Kariya had a positive plus-minus.

Right now, the Kings should be in rebuild mode. Signing Kariya, without the addition of other free agents, would be a mistake and would only show a lack of direction. If the Kings were willing to sign other guys along with Kariya, then it would be fine. But the Kings won't do that. Signing Kariya would just be a PR move to help sell seats.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Kariya filling the shoes of Palffy? Good one, ace. Maybe back in the late 1990s. The last time Kariya outscored Palffy was back in the 1999-2000 season. That's also the last year Kariya had a positive plus-minus.

Right now, the Kings should be in rebuild mode. Signing Kariya, without the addition of other free agents, would be a mistake and would only show a lack of direction. If the Kings were willing to sign other guys along with Kariya, then it would be fine. But the Kings won't do that. Signing Kariya would just be a PR move to help sell seats.
I think if we sign Kariya we wil still go after other players. Why would we even look at Kariya and Demitra and try to re-sign Palffy if were going to re-build. Maybe we should be in a re-building mode but I dont want us to be in a re-building mode and management doesn't either.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
Maybe we should be in a re-building mode but I dont want us to be in a re-building mode and management doesn't either.
And the number of Kings acquistions this offseason tells you this how. . . . are you suddenly DT? PA? TL? Dude, you have no idea what the Kings are doing this offseason. . . but by the looks of it, until something happens that says otherwise we're rebuilding.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
And the number of Kings acquistions this offseason tells you this how. . . . are you suddenly DT? PA? TL? Dude, you have no idea what the Kings are doing this offseason. . . but by the looks of it, until something happens that says otherwise we're rebuilding.
Dude, its been reported we tried very harddd to re-sign Palffy and Lappy. We can still re-sign Ziggy. Plus, it was reported here by our every own that were trying to get Ally back. We went out and got Garon and then Quintal and now were reported to be after Demitra, Kariya, and Nedved. NO, I'm not DT or PA or TL BUT FROM THE REPORTS I get the understanding were trying to build a winner. YES I DO HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT THE KINGS ARE DOING THIS OFFEASON-THERE TRYING TO SIGN PLAYERS AND MAKE TRADES TO MAKE THIS TEAM BETTER. Maybe you can't see that but I dont have to be DT, PA, or TL to get an understanding of what this team is trying to do. The effort is there and as long as its there its clear to me were NOT REBUILDING

Last edited by Kingz4life: 07-04-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old
07-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Wonga

I think the Kings are a bit gun shy. Not only because of the cba (given) but I think they are still stinging from the Cechmanek acquisition. Last year they moved quickly and got a guy who was coming off a good year (stat wise) but ultimatley proved to lack heart. This especially hurt later on in the summer when Joseph became avaiable with Hasek's return. It's hard to sit and watch your team seem to slip away. It may not hurt so much in a month when some key acquisitions are made. I guess we are going to learn in a relatively short period of time if the Kings are operating from a plan. If not they are going to be operating in a reactionary mode which rarely proves suffessful.

Kariya will be a great test. If the Kings take him their definately reacting (working from a "do somthing" mindset).

Old
07-04-2004, 01:14 AM
Fat Elvis

Great just great, the Kings are *rumored* to be interested in Kariya. A small often injured clubhouse cancer. So K4L, are those whopping 35 games he plays going to propell us into the playoffs? I'll answer that for you since the rosey color of your eyesight might be a little thick, it's no. Dude is not a winner nor would he be one in LA this year or next. Is it really that hard to see reality or am I in some game show where the absolute obvious is blind to a few surrounding bystanders. You're killing me Smalls.

Old
07-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Great just great, the Kings are *rumored* to be interested in Kariya. A small often injured clubhouse cancer. So K4L, are those whopping 35 games he plays going to propell us into the playoffs? I'll answer that for you since the rosey color of your eyesight might be a little thick, it's no. Dude is not a winner nor would he be one in LA this year or next. Is it really that hard to see reality or am I in some game show where the absolute obvious is blind to a few surrounding bystanders. You're killing me Smalls.
Year GP
1994-95 47
1995-96 82
1996-97 69
1997-98 22
1998-99 82
1999-00 74
2000-01 66
2001-02 82
2002-03 82
2003-04 51
=657 GP

Lets see 657 gp divided by umm 10 seasons played = 65.7 games a year. That is 35.7 games more then you say he will probably play. He might play 1 he might play 82. So next time you come and post something try to get your thick rose colored eye glasses off and look at the facts.

Old
07-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25
Was I the only one that noticed Kariya is spelled wrong every time in MightyAdam's post. It's Paul Kariya not Paul Karia. Sorry Adam. But get it right.
I stopped reading after the first line. For christsakes, learn to use paragraphs! I would assume that most people here are at least in sixth grade. :mad:

07-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Upon1

Quote:
Year GP
1994-95 47
1995-96 82
1996-97 69
1997-98 22
1998-99 82
1999-00 74
2000-01 66
2001-02 82
2002-03 82
2003-04 51
=657 GP

Lets see 657 gp divided by umm 10 seasons played = 65.7 games a year. That is 35.7 games more then you say he will probably play. He might play 1 he might play 82. So next time you come and post something try to get your thick rose colored eye glasses off and look at the facts.
It is actually 30.7 more than he said chief

Old
07-04-2004, 02:48 AM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon1
It is actually 30.7 more than he said chief
I knew I should've used a calculator. lol i thought he said 30 anyways I should go do my math homework now.

Old
07-04-2004, 03:40 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I stopped reading after the first line. For christsakes, learn to use paragraphs! I would assume that most people here are at least in sixth grade. :mad:
I just graduated High School. Does that get me anywhere? Too bad College is right in the middle of Duck Country.

Old
07-04-2004, 05:43 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Year GP
1994-95 47
1995-96 82
1996-97 69
1997-98 22
1998-99 82
1999-00 74
2000-01 66
2001-02 82
2002-03 82
2003-04 51
=657 GP

I think King ELVI was trying to say that Kariya has a tendency to disappear, and thus you'll only see him for 35 games.

Old
07-04-2004, 06:24 AM
Colorado Avalanche

HAHAA!!
It has been rumoured Kariya going AVS,Vancouver,Toronto,Blackhawks,Detroit,King.....
All the teams in league!!

And if he wants the cup i think he's going AVS
Really i think he's going toronto or vancouver

Old
07-04-2004, 06:31 AM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I think King ELVI was trying to say that Kariya has a tendency to disappear, and thus you'll only see him for 35 games.
I doubt it, but ok.

Old
07-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Fat Elvis

K4L I have to give it to you, you are the most optimistic person on this board. All we need are a few FA's and will be carrying the cup. What makes you think that adding Kariya and Demitra will propel us to the elite teams? Kariya could not do it with a team loaded like Colorado, and Demitra could not do it with a team loaded like StLouis. But if we combine these 2 and with the big "IF's" you're always hoping for in your man Carter and other bums, we would hit the promised land?
Stay optimistic K4L and don't be hurt when that big" I told you so" comes your way. If you're right I expect nothing but the same in return. Heck I will buy you beer for the year

Old
07-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Dude, its been reported we tried very harddd to re-sign Palffy and Lappy. We can still re-sign Ziggy. Plus, it was reported here by our every own that were trying to get Ally back. We went out and got Garon and then Quintal and now were reported to be after Demitra, Kariya, and Nedved. NO, I'm not DT or PA or TL BUT FROM THE REPORTS I get the understanding were trying to build a winner. YES I DO HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT THE KINGS ARE DOING THIS OFFEASON-THERE TRYING TO SIGN PLAYERS AND MAKE TRADES TO MAKE THIS TEAM BETTER. Maybe you can't see that but I dont have to be DT, PA, or TL to get an understanding of what this team is trying to do. The effort is there and as long as its there its clear to me were NOT REBUILDING
Ok, when we acquire someone who other than Garon, will make a difference in the long run, come and talk to me, but until then it's obvious that we're rebuilding. What are you going to say when the Kings don't sign any significant FA's? What are you going to say when Miller is traded? Or when Norstrom is traded? Straka? They (Kings management) can say all they want that they were hard after someone, just "talks broke down at the last moment" but until it happens it could be a bunch of bs. I don't see how signing 2 vets, Luc/Quintal, and letting Modry, Lappy, Palffy go = trying to build a contender. Take off the purple colored goggles.

Old
07-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Heck I will buy you beer for the year
I dont think he's old enough to drink yet.

Old
07-04-2004, 02:47 PM
5-Hole

devout Kings fan?

I think MightyAdam left out part of the story...

It wasn't getting Adam Oates that turned him...it was getting Oates and going all the way to the SC Finals that made him a Ducks fan.

There is a term for that...............................

BANDWAGON

A true (devout) fan does not bounce back and forth on the basis of one season or player.

Old
07-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Hole
A true (devout) fan does not bounce back and forth on the basis of one season or player.
AMEN!!!

Old
07-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Ok, when we acquire someone who other than Garon, will make a difference in the long run, come and talk to me, but until then it's obvious that we're rebuilding. What are you going to say when the Kings don't sign any significant FA's? What are you going to say when Miller is traded? Or when Norstrom is traded? Straka? They (Kings management) can say all they want that they were hard after someone, just "talks broke down at the last moment" but until it happens it could be a bunch of bs. I don't see how signing 2 vets, Luc/Quintal, and letting Modry, Lappy, Palffy go = trying to build a contender. Take off the purple colored goggles.
Okay let me say this again (IM NOT SCREAMING) IF WE DONT SIGN FA'Z AND WE TRADE OUR PLAYERS AND EVERYTHING THEN IT WILL BE OBVIOUS THAT WE ARE REBUILDING. WE ARE TRYING TO SIGN PLAYERS FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND RIGHT NOW.

I BELIEVE PALFFY TURNED DOWN THE 3 YEAR 19.5 MILL CONTRACT. I'M GLAD WE LET MODRY WALK AND LAPPY GOT A YEAR OR MORE TWO FROM ANOTHER TEAM THEN I WOULD'VE WANTED HIM TO GET.

JUST BECAUSE WE HAVENT SIGNED A FA YET DOESNT MEAN WERE IN A REBUILDING MODE. RUMOURS SHOW WERE TRYING. IF WE DONT SIGN ANYONE THEN WERE IN A REBUILDING MODE. FREE AGENCY JUSTTT STARTED. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT PART? SO JUST BECAUSE WE HAVENT SIGNED ANYONE YET DOESNT MEAN WERE NOT AND THATS WHY I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BELIEVE WERE NOT REBUILDING.

Old
07-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
K4L I have to give it to you, you are the most optimistic person on this board. All we need are a few FA's and will be carrying the cup. What makes you think that adding Kariya and Demitra will propel us to the elite teams? Kariya could not do it with a team loaded like Colorado, and Demitra could not do it with a team loaded like StLouis. But if we combine these 2 and with the big "IF's" you're always hoping for in your man Carter and other bums, we would hit the promised land?
Stay optimistic K4L and don't be hurt when that big" I told you so" comes your way. If you're right I expect nothing but the same in return. Heck I will buy you beer for the year
Am I being optimistim? umm yes I probably am. Do I believe in what I say? umm yes I do. Signing a few FA's will make us contenders. We dont need to have the best team on paper at the start of the season. Yes, I believe adding Demitra and Kariya and also re-signing Carter will make me believe we will have a shot at the cup. I also believe if we sign Demitra, Kariya, and Carter the Palffy will be willing to come back to us(but will we pay him). Also, we can still sign Ally and Deader to a special contract even if we dont sign these guys.

IF, we make the moves I'll stand by my opnion that we can be legitimate contenders.

Closed Thread