HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps claim LW Marco Sturm off waivers, DJ King waived

Old
03-01-2011, 01:07 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I asked this question last night and still have no idea where the March 7th thing is coming from. Leone mentioned the same March date in a f'ing twitter post.

I honestly don't recall this not being able to send guys down prior to the AHL playoffs thing. I totally understand the Clear Day rosters and the call up restrictions...but had no idea about this.
I never thought of it this way either, but Leone was specific in his tweet to the point where it's clearly more complicated than just the playoffs.

That or Leone is just flat out wrong about some aspect of the details.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Stewie G

Can someone explain the reasoning behind the limit of 4 call-ups from the AHL until the AHL team is eliminated from the playoffs? It seems to unfairly penalize NHL teams which have successful AHL affiliates. I seem to remember a couple years ago that the Caps could have used some help on the blue line to help relieve the broken foot brigade, but weren't able to do so since the Bears were still in action and were out of call-ups.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:11 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I can't find a copy of the AHL by laws anywhere on the net.

03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Where is our god dammned bot?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Can someone explain the reasoning behind the limit of 4 call-ups from the AHL until the AHL team is eliminated from the playoffs? It seems to unfairly penalize NHL teams which have successful AHL affiliates. I seem to remember a couple years ago that the Caps could have used some help on the blue line to help relieve the broken foot brigade, but weren't able to do so since the Bears were still in action and were out of call-ups.
it's to prevent you from stashing people in the minors and calling them up late in the season as cap-circumvention.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Perrault didn't have as good of a Juniors scoring pedigree (Briere had 123, 163, and 130 point seasons in the Q, Perrault had 52, 119, 114) or the AHL scoring pedigree (Briere had 36 goals and 92 points in his AHL rookie season (68 games), a 71 point season (58 games), and a 46 point season (30 games); Perrault has had two 50 point seasons (77 and 46 games)).

I'm not too worried about him becoming the next Briere.
He might not be the next Briere but he could very well be a valuable asset to be traded for the Caps...
The key is to display him to other teams.

I expect now MP to follow the career path of a guy like David Desharnais who finally made it up on the Habs roster after starting in the ECHL.
I have every reason to believe that he can become a valuable option for some teams.

As far as I can look, the Caps have all the stars lined up in your mind to be the next NHL Yankees....I beg to differ....

You think that you got better alternatives to MP in your farm system but until they effectively prove that they can perform at the NHL level, they are simply projects.
MP did perform.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
it's to prevent you from stashing people in the minors and calling them up late in the season as cap-circumvention.
Wouldn't most players that would be upgrades be very difficult to get to the minors in the first place (waivers)?

I'd have to think there was some way to get around the issue that arises when a team has a good affiliate that typically last a couple rounds in the playoffs. It seems odd to penalize a NHL team for having a solid farm team. I realize that it isn't a very realistic possibility, but could a team in desparate enough straits ask their AHL team to tank a series to get some help for the big club? Let's say Varly pulls a groin in Game 1 of a series and Neuvy gets shelled in the next couple games. Meanwhile, Holtby is on fire down in Hershey but the Bears are facing an elimination game in the next day or two. I know he would likely get murdered in Hershey after the fact, but would there be anything stopping McPhee from picking up the phone and making a suggestion to Yingst?

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:05 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
He might not be the next Briere but he could very well be a valuable asset to be traded for the Caps...
The key is to display him to other teams.

I expect now MP to follow the career path of a guy like David Desharnais who finally made it up on the Habs roster after starting in the ECHL.
I have every reason to believe that he can become a valuable option for some teams.

As far as I can look, the Caps have all the stars lined up in your mind to be the next NHL Yankees....I beg to differ....

You think that you got better alternatives to MP in your farm system but until they effectively prove that they can perform at the NHL level, they are simply projects.
MP did perform.
I think there are better fits for the 3rd line center on the UFA market every year. His defense doesn't allow him to be a terribly effective bottom-6 player. He's not making the Caps' top-6 next season, so he's likely more valuable to the organization in a trade.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think there are better fits for the 3rd line center on the UFA market every year. His defense doesn't allow him to be a terribly effective bottom-6 player. He's not making the Caps' top-6 next season, so he's likely more valuable to the organization in a trade.

I concur!

What surprises me though is that some Caps fans give up so fast on a prospect who is still young and can learn and has upside....

But hey! that can be said about just every player but AO and Sidney...

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 03:43 PM
sk84fun_dc

Not sure what the ? is. I've been offline and about to be offline again. AHL CDR is March 7, usually 1 week after NHL TDL. AHL bylaws are not publicly available based on what I know. Players have to play a certain number of games in the AHL and be on the roster on a certain date to be on CDR. It may be number of games or roster on a date but I believe it is both. The NHL call-up rule post TDL is an NHL rule in the CBA - 4 call-ups allowed while AHL team is active.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:46 AM
sk84fun_dc

Back on a computer now Still any questions regarding the AHL/NHL stuff?

Also, one thing I didn't type from the mobile, some may recall the transactions with Green back in the 06-07 season to make sure he was eligible for the AHL post-season (and Fehr, but he was hurt and didn't play)

Old
03-02-2011, 12:42 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Any idea why they didn't do the same thing with Beagle?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Any idea why they didn't do the same thing with Beagle?
Well, back then there were more issues about making the playoffs, etc. Beagle will be a loss for Hershey, but I understand not wanting to burn 1 of 4 recalls for a paper transaction to make Beagle eligible. If they had sent him down, I expect they would have kept him down there for awhile. Hershey's hopes depend on getting healthy goaltenders (sort of like the Caps, lol) and getting healthy in general. If they play long enough, I believe they expect to add Eakin, who they know they can put in the line-up. Of course that depends on how long Kootenay's season goes, too.

OT: Here's an item on WBS' possible roster and the loss of some key players for that team due to the rules. Something tells me this rule has a good chance of being modified going forward.

http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/?p=3668

Old
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
txpd

anyone notice the marco sturm grin? is he always that happy?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
anyone notice the marco sturm grin? is he always that happy?
That struck me as well. Either he's putting on a good face for the crowd in light of a whirlwind situation, he's just naturally that jovial, or he's genuinely excited about being here.

Old
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
txpd

my guess is that he is genuinely excited. he didnt seem to like the west coast. if olie didnt sell his place in washington dc, we know where he's living, and bruce put him out with ovechkin and backstrom right off.

i felt bad for him. he beat the goalie on the breakaway but came out of the 5 hole at an angle and didnt go in. i am really looking forward to watching him skate with 90 and chimera. those guys can fly.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
sk84fun_dc

One of the first things I think of with Sturm is a guy who smiles a lot/enjoys the game so I wouldn't read much into it. Of course I dvr'd the game but haven't seen it yet lol.

Old
03-02-2011, 05:46 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
my guess is that he is genuinely excited. he didnt seem to like the west coast. if olie didnt sell his place in washington dc, we know where he's living, and bruce put him out with ovechkin and backstrom right off.

i felt bad for him. he beat the goalie on the breakaway but came out of the 5 hole at an angle and didnt go in. i am really looking forward to watching him skate with 90 and chimera. those guys can fly.
Hopefully. I had heard he waived his NTC to go to the Kings partly because he did like the West Coast, but his family is still back east IINM so this may have still been a blessing geographically.