HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rob Schremp, Conklin, McElhinny, Leclaire, etc. waived

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
  #126
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,519
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
God I get tired of your fabrications & having to do work to prove it.
Peterson received the 18th most pp time/game on that team.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

And oh,Penners 1st year under MacT he played all 82 games.
Nice try (again) though.
Well, unlike you, I dont have to dig through stats looking for stuff I never witnessed with my own eyes. I saw Peterson play on the pp. It was maddening. I saw Penner be a healthy scratch in games in Mact's last year as a coach.

So nothing was fabricated. I was an eyewitness, as were many other posters here. So save your smear campaign and go do something useful.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
  #127
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,614
vCash: 50
Whatever you say about the Oilers and Schremp having a fair tryout or not may be true, but there is no denying he was given a tonne of rope on the island and now, after two seasons, he's being waived. I think lots of us were hoping he'd do well and stick, but he's obviously not an NHL player anymore. He had more than a fair shot on another equally bad team and failed to be good enough. That's the end of this argument for me, even though I was hoping he'd do well.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:32 PM
  #128
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,735
vCash: 500
well schremp's probably gonna be a career ahler now.


and people dont have to worry about gerber being claimed since there are better goalies out there: Conklin

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:46 PM
  #129
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
I've always felt the Pedersen pp time was a weak argument to cite MacT as a bad coach. On a team loaded with floaters and underachievers, MacT rewarded players who put on their workboot and commitment in tangible ways like PP time and opportunity. This was earned by practice habits and work ethic.

It was a positive message to fringe players like Pedersen and red flag reminder to those paid big money and expected to produce. Just part of an arsenal of tactics MacTavish used to try to motivate a lackluster roster. The Oil roster outside of a fairy tale Cup run was always stuck in spin cyle never progressing and never falling completely off the track. The issue was always much, much bigger than coaching. Clearly as we see Schremp was not the magic answer to anything. Just a means for some to utilize to focus their discontent on one target.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:52 PM
  #130
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
In regards to Schremp, I was a pretty big Rob Schremp guy and I think he should have made the roster in the 07/08 season...more so because Sam Gagner needed another year in Jr because if we bring him up as an 18 year old he might flat line...but I'm sure that will never happen....

But it's pretty funny how much some of you are backing MacTavish. Wow, he identified that he had 12 forwards better than Schremp *insert slow clap here*

It is night and day between MacTavish and a PROFESSIONAL coach. This guy acted like a child on more than a few occassions behind the bench. He was a horrible leader and to be a good head coach you need to be a leader. "But Mike Peca said he was so smart" right. And since when is the smartest guy at the company ever the head of the company? If that were the case then we would have a nation of computer geeks running our nation. This guy can't get a job and as one gentelman pointed out on here he lead Canada to there worst finish in a LONG time at the World Championship's last year...and the only reason he got that job is because of the Oiler buddy system with Mark Messier leading the charge. How many more examples have to be given? He's not a good head coach.

Schremp got cut, the kid obviously isn't going to be much in this league, but save the MacTavish praising because at this point not one freakin argument can be made for this guy in regards to being a good coach.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:00 PM
  #131
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
In regards to Schremp, I was a pretty big Rob Schremp guy and I think he should have made the roster in the 07/08 season...more so because Sam Gagner needed another year in Jr because if we bring him up as an 18 year old he might flat line...but I'm sure that will never happen....

But it's pretty funny how much some of you are backing MacTavish. Wow, he identified that he had 12 forwards better than Schremp *insert slow clap here*

It is night and day between MacTavish and a PROFESSIONAL coach. This guy acted like a child on more than a few occassions behind the bench. He was a horrible leader and to be a good head coach you need to be a leader. "But Mike Peca said he was so smart" right. And since when is the smartest guy at the company ever the head of the company? If that were the case then we would have a nation of computer geeks running our nation. This guy can't get a job and as one gentelman pointed out on here he lead Canada to there worst finish in a LONG time at the World Championship's last year...and the only reason he got that job is because of the Oiler buddy system with Mark Messier leading the charge. How many more examples have to be given? He's not a good head coach.

Schremp got cut, the kid obviously isn't going to be much in this league, but save the MacTavish praising because at this point not one freakin argument can be made for this guy in regards to being a good coach.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:03 PM
  #132
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,534
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Jesus, a four-page thread about Rob Schremp???

Hey, maybe we should also discuss bringing in Alexei Miknhov to add some size to the wing!

4 pages is nothing

3 years ago me and BBO had our own 1000 post avaitor/bet discussion thread that had people in stitches

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:21 PM
  #133
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, unlike you, I dont have to dig through stats looking for stuff I never witnessed with my own eyes. I saw Peterson play on the pp. It was maddening. I saw Penner be a healthy scratch in games in Mact's last year as a coach.

So nothing was fabricated. I was an eyewitness, as were many other posters here. So save your smear campaign and go do something useful.
Not a smear at all. You were suggesting that Peterson was getting lots of pp time. Obviously, this was a fabrication, as was your suggesting that MacT press boxed Penner lots. Obviously this is bs.
Nice try there though Sonny.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:31 PM
  #134
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajallberle View Post
The people who are pencilling Omark into the Oilers long term plans should take a look at what happened to Schremp, because they are similar players.
Omark and Schremp should not be compared. Omark can skate and Schremp can't. End of story.

Narnia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:38 PM
  #135
McOkMcgoMcoil
Registered User
 
McOkMcgoMcoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 13,122
vCash: 500
Interesting, I thought he kind of found a good fit. I know when Grapes said he was going to be a star was a massive stretch, I guess this ends the debate about if we sould or shouldn't have waived Shremp. He is clearly a defensive liability.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:39 PM
  #136
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo
 
ohheyhemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Den
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 14,001
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
yes you do. You let your hatred of the kid blind your judgment on him.
If his judgement was that Schremp doesn't deserve a spot on the Oilers, let alone any other NHL team, than his blinders didn't really effect the truth.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 06:33 PM
  #137
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I foresee Europe in RBS' future.

Sick toque bruh.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
  #138
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,188
vCash: 500
You know it is quite sad that people feel the need to rip myself, s7ark, and other fans that were really high on Schremp back in the day. Meanwhile Horcoff is a #1 C, Pouliot = Ratelle, Plante > Petry, Trukhno > Schremp, Conklin = Brodeur, MacT will get another coaching gig in no time flat, etc. doesn't draw a peep. Rub it in, it speaks volumes to the character of those that feel the need to belittle others to make themselves feel superior. Knock yourselves out, I was wrong on his upside or at the very least the likelihood that he'd reach that upside, I guess I'm the only one that was ever wrong about anything. Carry on, I for one learn from experience and try to better myself because of it.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
  #139
DisgruntledGoat
Registered User
 
DisgruntledGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
4 pages is nothing

3 years ago me and BBO had our own 1000 post avaitor/bet discussion thread that had people in stitches
Yeah, but Rob Schremp was somewhat relevant three years ago. . .

DisgruntledGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:07 PM
  #140
Grod
The New Era Lives On
 
Grod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
In regards to Schremp, I was a pretty big Rob Schremp guy and I think he should have made the roster in the 07/08 season...more so because Sam Gagner needed another year in Jr because if we bring him up as an 18 year old he might flat line...but I'm sure that will never happen....

But it's pretty funny how much some of you are backing MacTavish. Wow, he identified that he had 12 forwards better than Schremp *insert slow clap here*

It is night and day between MacTavish and a PROFESSIONAL coach. This guy acted like a child on more than a few occassions behind the bench. He was a horrible leader and to be a good head coach you need to be a leader. "But Mike Peca said he was so smart" right. And since when is the smartest guy at the company ever the head of the company? If that were the case then we would have a nation of computer geeks running our nation. This guy can't get a job and as one gentelman pointed out on here he lead Canada to there worst finish in a LONG time at the World Championship's last year...and the only reason he got that job is because of the Oiler buddy system with Mark Messier leading the charge. How many more examples have to be given? He's not a good head coach.

Schremp got cut, the kid obviously isn't going to be much in this league, but save the MacTavish praising because at this point not one freakin argument can be made for this guy in regards to being a good coach.
Thanks for putting this to rest. All acclaims in his defense should now be abolished. Facts speak for themselves regardless of the phenomenon that he once was. Waived on the Islanders? What a dissappointment.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:07 PM
  #141
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You know it is quite sad that people feel the need to rip myself, s7ark, and other fans that were really high on Schremp back in the day. Meanwhile Horcoff is a #1 C, Pouliot = Ratelle, Plante > Petry, Trukhno > Schremp, Conklin = Brodeur, MacT will get another coaching gig in no time flat, etc. doesn't draw a peep. Rub it in, it speaks volumes to the character of those that feel the need to belittle others to make themselves feel superior. Knock yourselves out, I was wrong on his upside or at the very least the likelihood that he'd reach that upside, I guess I'm the only one that was ever wrong about anything. Carry on, I for one learn from experience and try to better myself because of it.
I get your point of view & your response. I cant even disagree. But part of the reason for the response is from some peoples perspective (you been one I think) it was such a black & white issue. Namely that MacT was an idiot & was singelhandedly holding Schremp back & ruining him. It was ridiculous the vitriol that would be spewn towards MacT over his handling of Schremp.
Anyways, I think all should move on.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:08 PM
  #142
Declassified
Valkyrie Pedalworks
 
Declassified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,904
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
It's become pretty clear to me that Craig MacTavish could identify NHL ability in a prospect quickly
Just didnt want this post overlooked

+1

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:09 PM
  #143
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,487
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I've always felt the Pedersen pp time was a weak argument to cite MacT as a bad coach. On a team loaded with floaters and underachievers, MacT rewarded players who put on their workboot and commitment in tangible ways like PP time and opportunity. This was earned by practice habits and work ethic.

It was a positive message to fringe players like Pedersen and red flag reminder to those paid big money and expected to produce. Just part of an arsenal of tactics MacTavish used to try to motivate a lackluster roster. The Oil roster outside of a fairy tale Cup run was always stuck in spin cyle never progressing and never falling completely off the track. The issue was always much, much bigger than coaching. Clearly as we see Schremp was not the magic answer to anything. Just a means for some to utilize to focus their discontent on one target.
I think this is right on the money.

MacT was a coach that rewarded hard work and commitment. Interestingly enough that seems to be an issue most nights with the current edition of the Oilers.

Schremp was a one trick pony and one trick is not enough to forge an NHL career. Emotional connections to a player doesn't circumvent reality. Schremp is not an NHL regular...never was...never will be.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:10 PM
  #144
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,534
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You know it is quite sad that people feel the need to rip myself, s7ark, and other fans that were really high on Schremp back in the day. Meanwhile Horcoff is a #1 C, Pouliot = Ratelle, Plante > Petry, Trukhno > Schremp, Conklin = Brodeur, MacT will get another coaching gig in no time flat, etc. doesn't draw a peep. Rub it in, it speaks volumes to the character of those that feel the need to belittle others to make themselves feel superior. Knock yourselves out, I was wrong on his upside or at the very least the likelihood that he'd reach that upside, I guess I'm the only one that was ever wrong about anything. Carry on, I for one learn from experience and try to better myself because of it.

the only thing more legendary on this board then my poor grammer and spelling was your love of all things schremp

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:16 PM
  #145
DisgruntledGoat
Registered User
 
DisgruntledGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I've always felt the Pedersen pp time was a weak argument to cite MacT as a bad coach. On a team loaded with floaters and underachievers, MacT rewarded players who put on their workboot and commitment in tangible ways like PP time and opportunity. This was earned by practice habits and work ethic.

It was a positive message to fringe players like Pedersen and red flag reminder to those paid big money and expected to produce. Just part of an arsenal of tactics MacTavish used to try to motivate a lackluster roster. The Oil roster outside of a fairy tale Cup run was always stuck in spin cyle never progressing and never falling completely off the track. The issue was always much, much bigger than coaching. Clearly as we see Schremp was not the magic answer to anything. Just a means for some to utilize to focus their discontent on one target.
Great post.

I don't get the MacT hate logic sometimes:

Crap roster + Overrated prospects = 50/50 playoff berths = MACT W0RST COACH EVAR!!!!

????

How much better do people think those miserable teams were going to be? I mean, when Janne Niinimaa is your best defenseman, two-thirds of your top line is made up of Anson Carter and Mike Comrie, and the 'great white hope' is Jani Rita. . . your expecting the guy to squeeze a Stanley Cup out that?

DisgruntledGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:20 PM
  #146
Grod
The New Era Lives On
 
Grod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You know it is quite sad that people feel the need to rip myself, s7ark, and other fans that were really high on Schremp back in the day. Meanwhile Horcoff is a #1 C, Pouliot = Ratelle, Plante > Petry, Trukhno > Schremp, Conklin = Brodeur, MacT will get another coaching gig in no time flat, etc. doesn't draw a peep. Rub it in, it speaks volumes to the character of those that feel the need to belittle others to make themselves feel superior. Knock yourselves out, I was wrong on his upside or at the very least the likelihood that he'd reach that upside, I guess I'm the only one that was ever wrong about anything. Carry on, I for one learn from experience and try to better myself because of it.
I once compared Schremp to Crosby when I was drunk. I'm over it. Let him fade to black.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
  #147
Grod
The New Era Lives On
 
Grod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
the only thing more legendary on this board then my poor grammer and spelling was your love of all things schremp
Im shocked at your poor grammar given your immense amount of knowledge and intelligence. Or the love for Torres by Replace

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:28 PM
  #148
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,519
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Not a smear at all. You were suggesting that Peterson was getting lots of pp time. Obviously, this was a fabrication, as was your suggesting that MacT press boxed Penner lots. Obviously this is bs.
Nice try there though Sonny.
I never used that word.

Sorry.

I said he used Peterson on the pp. He did. Your own link confirms that he played over a minute a game on the pp. He did PB Penner in his last year as coach. In fact his last game as coach Penner was a healthy scratch. So I dont know what your problem is, or why you feel the need to make up stuff to try and make me look bad, but I would ask that you stop doing it.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:29 PM
  #149
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Not a smear at all. You were suggesting that Peterson was getting lots of pp time. Obviously, this was a fabrication, as was your suggesting that MacT press boxed Penner lots. Obviously this is bs.
Nice try there though Sonny.
Well Grady, just because his PP time averaged out over the year wasn't very high it didn't mean that he never got lots of PP time in games or for a stretch of games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020848
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020863
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020876
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020899
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020912

That's 5 consecutive games, if you want to look for more go here

And here is a list of all of the games that he played that year, I just picked a game with tons of ice time to see how much PP time he had to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I get your point of view & your response. I cant even disagree. But part of the reason for the response is from some peoples perspective (you been one I think) it was such a black & white issue. Namely that MacT was an idiot & was singelhandedly holding Schremp back & ruining him. It was ridiculous the vitriol that would be spewn towards MacT over his handling of Schremp.
Anyways, I think all should move on.
I am still not a fan of MacT but I also don't feel the need to keep bringing it up, if he were still here we would've sold Penner for not much of anything, as it stands we could get a nice trade return out of him. Schremp may not be an NHL player at this point or ever, but trying to say that MacT was a good/great coach when he hasn't even gotten a sniff at a head coaching job should tell you that his coaching talents were about as appreciated as Schremp's defensive or physical game. But again who really cares? It's water under the bridge. If any of you made predictions that never panned out then you are being quite petty in all of this. How about those that hyped Robert Nilsson? Grebeshkov? Mike Johnson? Radek Bonk? etc.? I have definitely been wrong at times but anyone that knows me knows that I have been right about a few things as well, and I like to think that my eye for the game is improving and has been improving since I actually got to see games with regularity.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
  #150
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Great post.

I don't get the MacT hate logic sometimes:

Crap roster + Overrated prospects = 50/50 playoff berths = MACT W0RST COACH EVAR!!!!

????

How much better do people think those miserable teams were going to be? I mean, when Janne Niinimaa is your best defenseman, two-thirds of your top line is made up of Anson Carter and Mike Comrie, and the 'great white hope' is Jani Rita. . . your expecting the guy to squeeze a Stanley Cup out that?
Let me ask you an honest question, if he was so highly regarded as a head coach why isn't he coaching right now? Honestly I could care less about MacT because he is long gone, that ship sailed longer ago than Schremp's did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I once compared Schremp to Crosby when I was drunk. I'm over it. Let him fade to black.
We all say things that end up looking poorly, ever player is different, I really liked Schremp's puck skills, however considering the limited amount of games I used to be able to watch way back I had a very small basis of comparison and I overrated the hell out of him. That said if some people want to cut me for it be my guest, that said it's not the only overrating of a player that I've ever seen on here and I'm far from the only one that has overrated or underrated players at one time or another.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.