HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rob Schremp, Conklin, McElhinny, Leclaire, etc. waived

Old
02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Well Grady, just because his PP time averaged out over the year wasn't very high it didn't mean that he never got lots of PP time in games or for a stretch of games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020848
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020863
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020876
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020899
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2006020912

That's 5 consecutive games, if you want to look for more go here

And here is a list of all of the games that he played that year, I just picked a game with tons of ice time to see how much PP time he had to start.

I am still not a fan of MacT but I also don't feel the need to keep bringing it up, if he were still here we would've sold Penner for not much of anything, as it stands we could get a nice trade return out of him. Schremp may not be an NHL player at this point or ever, but trying to say that MacT was a good/great coach when he hasn't even gotten a sniff at a head coaching job should tell you that his coaching talents were about as appreciated as Schremp's defensive or physical game. But again who really cares? It's water under the bridge. If any of you made predictions that never panned out then you are being quite petty in all of this. How about those that hyped Robert Nilsson? Grebeshkov? Mike Johnson? Radek Bonk? etc.? I have definitely been wrong at times but anyone that knows me knows that I have been right about a few things as well, and I like to think that my eye for the game is improving and has been improving since I actually got to see games with regularity.
Yeah, so you can pull individual games when the MacT granted him pp time. Whoopee. At the end of the day thats why we have averages & he was 18th on the team.
Furthuremore, it was YOU & others that was blaming the idiot MacT for Schremps lot in life, & the vitriol was unbelievable. Obviously, you were out to lunch as the Islander release attests to.
And you have ZERO idea whether MacT has gotten a sniff at a job or not, or even wants one. I think hes a pretty good coach, & the fact hes on the shelf doesnt prove dick.
Peter Laviolette anyone.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Let me ask you an honest question, if he was so highly regarded as a head coach why isn't he coaching right now? Honestly I could care less about MacT because he is long gone, that ship sailed longer ago than Schremp's did.
He's not coaching because no team has hired him. I don't think that's really a great argument as to why he sucks. I could list a ton of pretty good coaches who are not working right now. Besides, the flavour right now seems to be hiring minor league (Boudreau, Arneil) and junior (Boucher, DeBoer), and that's probably working against him.

Besides, he's actually only been out of work for less than two years. I think if you look back, that's not an exceptionally long time for a coach to go between head coaching jobs. How long was Renney out-of-work between Vancouver and New York? How long was Vigneault out-of-work between Montreal and Vancouver? Crawford between Vancouver and Dallas? Julien between New Jersey and Boston? Babcock between Anaheim and Detroit?

Were all those coaches dumb while they were unemployed and suddenly got smart again?

DisgruntledGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Not a smear at all. You were suggesting that Peterson was getting lots of pp time. Obviously, this was a fabrication, as was your suggesting that MacT press boxed Penner lots. Obviously this is bs.
Nice try there though Sonny.
Peterson played like something like 20 minutes of pp time with no pp goals when mact was making him his favorite 'safe' pp player. MacT's words not anyone elses. Any pp time peterson got all came within a very short number of games.

He also did bench Penner a few games. He also did stick him on the 3rd and 4th line and he did publically berate him even though the guy was still showing to be an effective player in regards to plus minus, gw goals and such.

MacT benched Stoll and Torres. Mact gave pp time to Reasoner. MacT made his tough guys ask for permission to fight.

MacT brilliantly decided to alternate backups to roloson in the stanley cup finals.

The pro MacT faction quickly stated that he would have a job the day he left the oilers......3 or 4 years later.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:47 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
We all say things that end up looking poorly, ever player is different, I really liked Schremp's puck skills, however considering the limited amount of games I used to be able to watch way back I had a very small basis of comparison and I overrated the hell out of him. That said if some people want to cut me for it be my guest, that said it's not the only overrating of a player that I've ever seen on here and I'm far from the only one that has overrated or underrated players at one time or another.
Weeeell, in fairness, you were still pimping Schremp just two months ago: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=857658&page=3

I think its fair to get called out when you are way wrong on something, but yeah, everyone is guilty of it at some time or another. I was once convinced that Alexei Semenov was the next Zdeno Chara, so I feel ya.

Old
02-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Yeah, so you can pull individual games when the MacT granted him pp time. Whoopee. At the end of the day thats why we have averages & he was 18th on the team.
Furthuremore, it was YOU & others that was blaming the idiot MacT for Schremps lot in life, & the vitriol was unbelievable. Obviously, you were out to lunch as the Islander release attests to.
And you have ZERO idea whether MacT has gotten a sniff at a job or not, or even wants one. I think hes a pretty good coach, & the fact hes on the shelf doesnt prove dick.
Peter Laviolette anyone.
LOL he doesn't have a job and there have been a TON of coaching changes over the past few years. Nothing else needs to be said.

MacT did about half the things you need to do to be a good coach very well. The other half he was HORRIBLE at.

He never handled goalies well, he never handled toughness well, he had his favorite players and his disliked players. MacT on the whole was not a good coach and if he was he would have a job now. He does not.

Old
02-26-2011, 07:56 PM
WayneHemsky

you can still play if your put on waivers? Schremp's playing right now

WayneHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Teamcanada

Oh, you weren't talking about Conklin? :sarcasm

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Peter Laviolette anyone.
You said that it didn't happen and pointed to his average PP toi. That tells the story over the whole season, the problem is that things change as the season goes along. Yes I did think that MacT was an idiot and I stand by that just as you stand by disliking Schremp. You have a right to your opinion as do I to mine. I could care less if he's gotten a sniff, because sniffing and getting are two different things and unless we're playing horse shoes here close means nothing. You point to my dislike of MacT and act as if it was all because of Schremp, does Penner ring a bell? Again who cares? MacT is out of the league and Schremp might be after tonight, oh well life goes on.

02-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Let me ask you an honest question, if he was so highly regarded as a head coach why isn't he coaching right now? Honestly I could care less about MacT because he is long gone, that ship sailed longer ago than Schremp's did.

We all say things that end up looking poorly, ever player is different, I really liked Schremp's puck skills, however considering the limited amount of games I used to be able to watch way back I had a very small basis of comparison and I overrated the hell out of him. That said if some people want to cut me for it be my guest, that said it's not the only overrating of a player that I've ever seen on here and I'm far from the only one that has overrated or underrated players at one time or another.

I respect your response greatly. I feel the exact same way. Felt the same way in projecting Schremp. It's a fallacy in our pride as Oilers fans. We need to learn to accept it and look at things objectively. I can't preach the importance of interviews and learning a person outside of what they are supposed to say. Wow. What a burner in TO.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Weeeell, in fairness, you were still pimping Schremp just two months ago: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=857658&page=3

I think its fair to get called out when you are way wrong on something, but yeah, everyone is guilty of it at some time or another. I was once convinced that Alexei Semenov was the next Zdeno Chara, so I feel ya.
He might still land on his feet, the fact remains that he'll never be as good as I initially thought that he would. Oh well, life goes on.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:26 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Bashing MacT for his treatment of Penner is a bit of revisionist history.

MacT gave him plenty of chances before going after him in the media and Penner was fat and lazy when MacT called him out.

It was only after getting the tough love treatment from MacT that Penner finally dedicated himself and came out to start last season in shape and focused. You could argue MacT deserves more credit for his start to 2009-2010 than Quinn does.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Q038

Quote:
You said that it didn't happen and pointed to his average PP toi. That tells the story over the whole season, the problem is that things change as the season goes along. Yes I did think that MacT was an idiot and I stand by that just as you stand by disliking Schremp. You have a right to your opinion as do I to mine. I could care less if he's gotten a sniff, because sniffing and getting are two different things and unless we're playing horse shoes here close means nothing. You point to my dislike of MacT and act as if it was all because of Schremp, does Penner ring a bell? Again who cares? MacT is out of the league and Schremp might be after tonight, oh well life goes on.
have to ask,

you honestly believe MacT did anything wrong with penner other then not put up with his lazyness?

i dont for a moment think MacT is a "grea"t coach, i think hes average, but at the same time, his only major flaw is the inability to put up with lazy, high-maintenance players.. You could argue that Penner's desire to show up MacT is the only reason he finally took off season training and following game plans seriously..

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
What about the poll of who'll get more points between Horcoff and Schremp.

02-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Bashing MacT for his treatment of Penner is a bit of revisionist history.

MacT gave him plenty of chances before going after him in the media and Penner was fat and lazy when MacT called him out.

It was only after getting the tough love treatment from MacT that Penner finally dedicated himself and came out to start last season in shape and focused. You could argue MacT deserves more credit for his start to 2009-2010 than Quinn does.
Bull. Penner was very little different back then than he is right now. He had 17 goals, 5 game winners and was plus 7 despite being benched, press boxed and tossed on the bottom two lines most of the year. He was singled out for lots of abuse when other players were stinking as much if not more when there were lots of players that deserved a similar fate.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q038 View Post
have to ask,

you honestly believe MacT did anything wrong with penner other then not put up with his lazyness?

i dont for a moment think MacT is a "grea"t coach, i think hes average, but at the same time, his only major flaw is the inability to put up with lazy, high-maintenance players.. You could argue that Penner's desire to show up MacT is the only reason he finally took off season training and following game plans seriously..
Penner is absolutely no different the last two years than he was with MacT except for the benching and stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines. MacT's 'tough love' did nothing to Penner other than to deprive him of offensive opportunuties. Penner is who he is and has changed very little since the day he arrive here.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
What about the poll of who'll get more points between Horcoff and Schremp.
Where is it?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

well atleast teams are trying things

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Peter Laviolette anyone.
while I could care less about RS, one way or the other, if you want to make the point that MacT DOESNT coach in the NHL because he chooses not to - that is laughable..you think he prefers his stints on TSN to actually coaching in the best hockey league on the planet??

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Q038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Penner is absolutely no different the last two years than he was with MacT except for the benching and stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines. MacT's 'tough love' did nothing to Penner other than to deprive him of offensive opportunuties. Penner is who he is and has changed very little since the day he arrive here.
Penner even said himself he was in better shape .. he came into the training camp 15 pounds lighter and every single one of the fitness test results were better 2 years runnign now....

you can choose to ignor fact and reality all you want. doesnt make your "Opinion" any more correct

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

How about the MacT gang take their circus elsewhere? How about starting a thread about how he is the greatest unemployed coach in the world? Kthanksbye.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Philly85
Moody'

i cant believe how some of you are still arguing over this. its over, its done. let it be finished. there is nothing left to discuss.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
i cant believe how some of you are still arguing over this. its over, its done. let it be finished. there is nothing left to discuss.
MacT has been out of the NHL longer than Schremp yet he's getting talked about as some kind of great coach. Who cares anymore, I guess some people just like to argue for the sake of hearing themselves argue. Neither guy cuts the mustard so who cares? I guess maybe some of the MacT faithful figures that if it seems like he was justified in not playing Schremp he might get back into the NHL or win a cookie or something?

Old
02-26-2011, 08:53 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Toronto should take Schremp. They could use his skill on the PP, and he's American--something Burke seems to look for at times.

Omark can't get a regular shift on this team yet, and I think when he comes around he'll be twice the player Schremp is, so I pass without thinking twice.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:54 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
How about the MacT gang take their circus elsewhere? How about starting a thread about how he is the greatest unemployed coach in the world? Kthanksbye.
The MacT gang is almost as bad as the Anti MacT gang.

TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
You surprised? Any thread that mentions MacT or Schremp turns into a pissing match.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote