HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v14: Where the losses are losses and the wins are screwed away from us by the lottery

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Transplanted Caper

vCash: 500
The Star is reporting that the Raptors are close to re-signing BC to a contract extension. He's been far from perfect and has stepped in it a lot, but he has experience and for the most part, drafts well. Probably for the best rather than to try and find another Babcock.

Old
05-17-2011, 11:47 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
The Star is reporting that the Raptors are close to re-signing BC to a contract extension. He's been far from perfect and has stepped in it a lot, but he has experience and for the most part, drafts well. Probably for the best rather than to try and find another Babcock.
I havent had a huge problem with what Colangelo has done so far. He's had some goods and bads, made some nice moves and had some stinkers.

I think alot of the stuff that happened prior to this year hinged on Bosh and trying to keep him around. Now that he's gone I think Colangelo is committed to a full rebuild and he's done a good job so far bringing in young guys like Derozan, Davis, Johnson and Beyless.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
This is good news, Colangelo wants to finish the job he has started and I think he's on the right track.

We now have to hope we get into the top 2 for tonight's Lottery Draw and there is a chance we could slip as far as 6th, it could happen but unlikely.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:22 PM
topched

Finalized:

Colangelo signed to a 2-year extension

as per TSN/The Star

http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=366012

Old
05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
JMcLeaf

vCash: 3290
I have read and heard speculation that Timberwolves would take Irving if they get the top pick so I was just wondering what happened to Ricky Rubio?

Old
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I have read and heard speculation that Timberwolves would take Irving if they get the top pick so I was just wondering what happened to Ricky Rubio?
Saw a rumour the T-Wolves expected to sign him soon. Regardless where they pick, I'm assuming they draft another PG. It's Minnesota. It's like watching the Detroit Lions pick a WR in the first round every year back in the early 2000s.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:01 PM
topched

Quote:
Read on SI today...

Rubio has yet to sign with the T-Wolves, but they hope to get him over before next season starts. They also have Johnny Flynn... apparantly Kahn will likely take Irving like you said, stockpile pg's and see how things play out. They'd probably be looking at a trade somewhere down the line.

Classic case of taking BPA... but who knows if theyll get the #1 pick, and the draft is still a month away so you never know if theyll change their mind before then.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
they're still trying to get him out of his contract in Spain, and are not entirely convinced that he even wants to leave Europe to play for Minnesota. Like TopChed says, they're confident that he'll be there for training camp, but you never know.

Drafting Irving would give them the flexibility to trade Rubio to a team that a) is willing to buy out his Euro league contract and b) he is more receptive to playing for (I know he or his family has said he wants to play in New York... barf)

Also Johnny Flynn does not appear to be the answer as a starting PG.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-17-2011, 03:10 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
they're still trying to get him out of his contract in Spain, and are not entirely convinced that he even wants to leave Europe to play for Minnesota. Like TopChed says, they're confident that he'll be there for training camp, but you never know.

Drafting Irving would give them the flexibility to trade Rubio to a team that a) is willing to buy out his Euro league contract and b) he is more receptive to playing for (I know he or his family has said he wants to play in New York... barf)

Also Johnny Flynn does not appear to be the answer as a starting PG.
Just outta curiosity... Do you know what the situation is with unsigned draftpicks in the NBA?

How many years do the T-wolves have with rubio before he's free to walk?

Old
05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Wanted to share some stuff I've been reading on ESPN regarding the draft.

A lot of draftniks are very high on Enes Kanter in spite of his missed year. There are comparisons with him to Andrew Bogut or Al Horford. It's also worth noting given the concerns about his size that he apparently measured as 6'11 in shoes. That's decent for a center.

Also Chad Ford has his mock lottery/draft machine up, and the curious thing is that he has the Raptors focused on Derrick Williams if they get 1st overall. The only scenario in which the Raptors take Irving is if Washington drafts 1st and the Raptors land 2nd.

Not saying that we're all totally convinced Irving is the guy, but it's just kind of an oddity that they've suddenly said Irving wouldn't be their #1 when I could swear an article a few weeks back said the Raptors would probably look at him as the #1 pick.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Good two years is fine. Congrats Bri.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Wanted to share some stuff I've been reading on ESPN regarding the draft.

A lot of draftniks are very high on Enes Kanter in spite of his missed year. There are comparisons with him to Andrew Bogut or Al Horford. It's also worth noting given the concerns about his size that he apparently measured as 6'11 in shoes. That's decent for a center.

Also Chad Ford has his mock lottery/draft machine up, and the curious thing is that he has the Raptors focused on Derrick Williams if they get 1st overall. The only scenario in which the Raptors take Irving is if Washington drafts 1st and the Raptors land 2nd.

Not saying that we're all totally convinced Irving is the guy, but it's just kind of an oddity that they've suddenly said Irving wouldn't be their #1 when I could swear an article a few weeks back said the Raptors would probably look at him as the #1 pick.
Its a pretty tough decision I guess... You never know though we're acting as if the draft is tonight... its still a month or so away, lots of things can change between now and then. Maybe Derrick Williams cements himself as a threat to the #1 spot with his workouts or Irving falls into question due to health concerns.

I like Williams and I think hed be great but my two concerns are that we already have a plethora of PF's in Bargnani, ED, and Amir (not that they cant be moved), and that hes a little bit undersized at 6'9.

I've also heard from alot of draft buffs that he could project to be a SF in the Josh Smith mould with a little work on his midrange game.

You never know... Williams appeals to me if he can play SF because a frontcourt of Bargs, ED, and D Williams might be big enough down the road to make up for Bargnani's lack of D and Rebounding. Davis and Williams are both supposed to be well above average rebounders.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Can someone explain to me how Ed Davis didn't make the NBA all rookie team or all rookie 2nd team? I think he got absolutely robbed.

I mean, they name Gary Neal to the All-NBA first team for averaging 9.8 points and 2.5 rebounds in 21.1 minutes per game... as a 26 year old! I mean come on... this guy is the same age as Lebron.

I'd say Davis had a much more impressive season than Favors, but because Favors was a higher pick and on an American team, of course he gets the 2nd team nod over Davis.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Kadri Fan View Post
Can someone explain to me how Ed Davis didn't make the NBA all rookie team or all rookie 2nd team? I think he got absolutely robbed.

I mean, they name Gary Neal to the All-NBA first team for averaging 9.8 points and 2.5 rebounds in 21.1 minutes per game... as a 26 year old! I mean come on... this guy is the same age as Lebron.

I'd say Davis had a much more impressive season than Favors, but because Favors was a higher pick and on an American team, of course he gets the 2nd team nod over Davis.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Favors got it because of hype due to pick # and because he was on a US team. Neal is understandable in part because he got extra consideration since no one thought he would have much impact at all. that one I understand. Favors over Davis was total BS though.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:

Absolutely ridiculous.
Uhh because NBA is full of morons? Seriously.

DeMar didn't get to go the rookie vs sophmore thing either in his rookie year. Since we're Toronto, it's basically "meh, who cares".

And yes, Davis was better than Favors. In my eyes, he should be the starter. I believe he averaged a double double if not close to a double double when given 30 minutes.

Hopefully, it will motivate him.

I'm sure some of you may not share the same opinion as me on BC, but it's a mistake re-signing him IMO. I would've just kept him for the draft and then off you go. He's made foolish signings (Turkuglo, Kapono, even Kleiza with the amount of terms on a bench player) and trades (Marion, JO), drafting Bargnani, letting Bosh go for basically nothing and just overall building such a soft damn team. It's not like for a year or two we've lacked rebounding and defense, we've lacked that since he's been here and by now that's an area that should be fixed (although drafting Davis is a good step but that's taken so long). Hiring Triano was also a mistake.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

DeMar didn't get to go the rookie vs sophmore thing either in his rookie year. Since we're Toronto, it's basically "meh, who cares".

And yes, Davis was better than Favors. In my eyes, he should be the starter. I believe he averaged a double double if not close to a double double when given 30 minutes.

I'm sure some of you may not share the same opinion as me on BC, but it's a mistake re-signing him IMO. I would've just kept him for the draft and then off you go. He's made foolish signings (Turkuglo, Kapono, even Kleiza with the amount of terms on a bench player) and trades (Marion, JO), drafting Bargnani, letting Bosh go for basically nothing and just overall building such a soft damn team. It's not like for a year or two we've lacked rebounding and defense, we've lacked that since he's been here and by now that's an area that should be fixed (although drafting Davis is a good step but that's taken so long). Hiring Triano was also a mistake.
For all intents and purposes he was like this in Phoenix too. It turned around when he got his team a PG. He could do that in the draft this year. Let us see.

Old
05-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I like BC, but I think Triano has got to go. He's a terrible coach, and he's done nothing to secure his job since he's been here. Not once have I watched a game and said "wow, Triano's coaching really won it for us tonight."

Old
05-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
For all intents and purposes he was like this in Phoenix too. It turned around when he got his team a PG. He could do that in the draft this year. Let us see.
They still never won anything though and the way he builds team, which is run and gun with non-existent defense is disheartening because championship teams in NBA are built around defense.

Old
05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

The big problem with Colangelo getting players, is trouble convincing American players, to play in Canada, Carter and Bosh being prime examples.

Owners are talking about a "Hard Cap", like we have in the NHL and this might happen if a Lockout occurs and may cause players to be spread out across the league a little more evenly.

Old
05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
JMcLeaf

vCash: 3290
If Kanter had played this past season I wonder if he would challenge for that top spot. There's not that many highlights to watch of him online, and I'm personally not a big fan of drafting Euro's, but I'd be lying if I said the few highlights that I have seen from him aren't impressive. His Nike Hoop Summit highlights from 2010 were very impressive. He has a lot better mobility and shooting range than I expected. Irving and Williams are still at the top of my list but I'm warming up to Kanter a bit more if we don't have a top 2 pick.

Old
05-17-2011, 04:36 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

More from ESPN on Kanter (I've cut the bulk of the article out just to focus on the more interesting bits in regard to the draft):

Quote:
Who is Enes Kanter?

That's the question that NBA GMs are asking right now. Here's what we know: Kanter is a talented Turkish big man who made the Turkish professional team Fenerbahce Ulker at the age of 16. He played limited minutes there, but did get into four Euroleague games -- the top league in Europe.

In April, Kanter went from an intriguing prospect to a potential lottery pick with his dominant performance at the Nike Hoop Summit.

Kanter, then just 17, shook off a poor week of practices (he later revealed he had a sore back that kept him from jumping and almost prevented him from playing) to dominate in the game. Kanter had 34 points (a Hoop Summit record), 13 boards and did it all in 22 minutes. He did a lot of his damage against McDonald's MVP Jared Sullinger.

I wrote back then that "Kanter was a beast in the paint, muscling his way in for position and regularly clawing his way through a pair of Team USA's high-profile bigs for a whopping eight offensive boards. … Not only was he a bear around the basket, but he also showed off his ability to put the ball on the floor and hit the outside J. On Saturday night, Kanter looked like a future lottery pick."

He's big (he measured a shade below 6-foot-11 in shoes with a 7-1 wingspan at the Hoop Summit), has an NBA body and uses his strength around the basket. He has a relentless motor on the boards and has excellent footwork for an 18-year-old big man. He's also gotten in terrific shape in Chicago and appears much more explosive than we thought last year. At the Hoop Summit, Kanter was nursing a back injury and could barely get off the floor. In workouts here at ATTACK, Kanter showed he had no problem playing over the rim. While he's no Blake Griffin, he's not a stiff, either.

Kanter also showed the ability to step out and hit everything from 18-foot jumpers to NBA 3s. While I don't think his primary role will be to stretch the defense in the NBA, he has the ability.
... While I initially believed that Kanter's year off would hurt his draft stock, I'm no longer concerned after talking with a number of NBA execs. Virtually every team I spoke with has him as a top-five prospect on their board. A few told me they believe that had he played at Kentucky this year, he may have been the favorite to go No. 1 overall.

He still might have a chance to go No. 1 overall if the Washington Wizards get the No. 1 pick. While we currently have them taking Derrick Williams No. 1 in our Mock Draft Lottery, a well-placed source said Kanter would be in the conversation. The Detroit Pistons and the Golden State Warriors also have needs that could place Kanter in the mix. But after Kyrie Irving and Williams are off the table, I'm not sure there's a player with more upside in this draft.

Old
05-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Leafssss

Anyone know where I can get a stream of the NBA draft lottery?

Old
05-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Leafssss

NVM

http://atdhenet.tv/7215/watch-espn

Old
05-17-2011, 06:06 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 250
Quote:
I like BC, but I think Triano has got to go. He's a terrible coach, and he's done nothing to secure his job since he's been here. Not once have I watched a game and said "wow, Triano's coaching really won it for us tonight."
Gotta agree about Triano. I want them to make a push for Adelman.

Old
05-17-2011, 06:14 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
On and off basketball fan here. I certainly don't know anything much about the prospects. If the teams remain in the same place in the draft, who is it looking like we'll pick? Kanter?

Closed Thread