HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v14: Where the losses are losses and the wins are screwed away from us by the lottery

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2011, 08:31 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
In terms of PG's, would you guys consider trading the 5th overall to say, the T-Wolves for Ricky Rubio?

Rubio seems that he doesn't want anything to do with the T-Wolves and will stay in Europe to prove the point.

Before his draft, he was projected as a good PG in the NBA(with the potential to be a top-10 PG in the NBA).

He's a pretty good all around PG from what I remember of his draft year, good defensively, great vision and timing, distributor, Jumper is only OK and can improve(no idea if it has or not).

He's also not ancient. Hell he may be cheaper than the 5th overall with the buffoon still being GM of the T-Wolves.
I'd consider it. With the top 3 guys all gone, none of the remaining PGs for high drafting are really pure PGs, and the other high prospects don't really intrigue me.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I'd consider it. With the top 3 guys all gone, none of the remaining PGs for high drafting are really pure PGs, and the other high prospects don't really intrigue me.
It's a risk, no doubt, but it's one which could pay off immensely if it works out.

Maybe something like:

T-Wolves trade:

Ricky Rubio
20th overall

Raptors trade:

5th overall
Jose Calderon

Then with the 20th, pick a guy like C Mason Plumlee from Duke(who's a bit of a project, but he'll be splitting time with Bargs at C), and I think we'd have a hell of a draft.

05-22-2011, 04:28 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
T-Wolves trade:

Ricky Rubio
20th overall

Raptors trade:

5th overall
Jose Calderon
No way T-Wolves give up Rubio. That's a one side trade. Although, I want Bargs/Caldy gone. Raps need to get tougher down the middle.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Highlander23

vCash: 50
best trade out there :

Brandon jenkins + (filler) for bargs + (filler)

Old
05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
No way T-Wolves give up Rubio. That's a one side trade. Although, I want Bargs/Caldy gone. Raps need to get tougher down the middle.
Well Rubio apparently doesn't want anything to do with the T-Wolves, he doesn't want to come over to play for them.

Not sure about value, but it'd be something around the 5th overall for Rubio, and add minimal pieces on either side.

He's still an elite prospect, and if he was in this draft, he would contend with Irving to go 1st overall imo.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:41 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Well Rubio apparently doesn't want anything to do with the T-Wolves, he doesn't want to come over to play for them.

Not sure about value, but it'd be something around the 5th overall for Rubio, and add minimal pieces on either side.

He's still an elite prospect, and if he was in this draft, he would contend with Irving to go 1st overall imo.
I always liked him. He was getting time with the national team over Calderon when Calderon was considered a good PG. That was also before Rubio was drafted.

He would be a good fit for us. If he is unwilling to go to Minn, then his value isn't the highest.

Old
05-23-2011, 09:13 AM
91Kadri91

I'm not going to lie, I was a HUGE Rubio fan going into the 2009 draft. Saying that, it seems as though he has regressed, not progressed.

He can't shoot a ball, period. If were looking to aquire him, which I'm not completely against, we'll have to live with the fact that the kid is an elite playmaker, and not much else.

His defense should be okay with his size and awareness, and he should get a fair number of steals in the NBA with his length and ability to play the passing lanes.

With that, though, comes his field goal percentage which was 31% in the Euroleague this past season. 31%.

Still, he has loads of potential with his size and creativity and I prefer Rubio to Walker without a doubt. It's an interesting scenario to consider.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

This is how I see things going down. Assuming Kanter is off the board, I say we're likely going after 1 of Brandon Knight/Kemba Walker. Although, since this is BC we're talking about here, I can also see us having interest in Valanciunas and Vesely.

1. Cleveland - Kyrie Irving.

2. Minnesota - Derrick Williams.

3. Utah - Enes Kanter.

4. Cleveland - Jonas Valanciunas.

5. Toronto - Brandon Knight.

Old
05-23-2011, 04:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
This is how I see things going down. Assuming Kanter is off the board, I say we're likely going after 1 of Brandon Knight/Kemba Walker. Although, since this is BC we're talking about here, I can also see us having interest in Valanciunas and Vesely.

1. Cleveland - Kyrie Irving.

2. Minnesota - Derrick Williams.

3. Utah - Enes Kanter.

4. Cleveland - Jonas Valanciunas.

5. Toronto - Brandon Knight.
Utah is very probably not taking Kanter. They're loaded up with frontcourt players. Chances are they'll be in on one of the PGs (Walker or Knight)

Old
05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

A few notes from a great site I like to check on for the NBA draft;

http://nbadraft.net/

This article is titled Combine: Measurement Analysis.

Quote:
Enes Kanter - Kanter showed virtually no weakness during the measurements, standing 6'11.25 in sneakers, with a 7'1.5 wingspan and a 9'1.5 standing reach. He weighed in at 259lbs and only a 5.9 % body fat.
WOW! That is lean! I wonder what they use to determine that? Either way, that is incredible for a big C. Apparantly his game is tough too!

Quote:
Kyrie Irving - He measured in a 6'3.5 in sneakers, which was actually taller than Brandon Knight, who was originally believed to have an inch on Irving. His 10.2 body fat at just 191lbs is a little bit alarming. Has he not been able to work out and get back in shape since the season ended?
Fatso. I wonder if he may fall because of the lack of workouts? Or if it'll be easier to move up.

Quote:
Brandon Knight - His 4.2% body fat however was the lowest of anyone in the group. 6'3.25 in sneakers and 176lbs are solid numbers for a PG. His wingspan is a few inches better than Kyrie Irving.
He's supposed to be very fast. Could be available at 5.

Old
05-23-2011, 05:09 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Irving said somewhere that his injury prevented him from working out and that he was "embarrassed" by it.

That's impressive for Knight. He seems to be more of a scoring PG than Walker though. Given Walker's rep for being driven to be a winner, I'd also put more stock into him being able to morph his game into a proper PG rather than trying to play a me-first 1-guard game like, say, Stephon Marbury.

Old
05-23-2011, 05:41 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Irving said somewhere that his injury prevented him from working out and that he was "embarrassed" by it.

That's impressive for Knight. He seems to be more of a scoring PG than Walker though. Given Walker's rep for being driven to be a winner, I'd also put more stock into him being able to morph his game into a proper PG rather than trying to play a me-first 1-guard game like, say, Stephon Marbury.
What were Knights options for scoring? I think I heard an interview with him where it was implied that he needed to do the bulk of the scoring.

Old
05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Outside of Irving, not a lot of PG's in this draft excite me.

Some draft news:

Quote:
If his buyout situation will be resolved in a timely fashion, look for Valanciunas to be drafted somewhere between Nos. 3 and 8 overall. He's ahead of Enes Kanter on both Cleveland and Toronto's boards according to reports and has huge fans in Detroit's front office as well.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ug=ycn-8514315

Old
05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Outside of Irving, not a lot of PG's in this draft excite me.

Some draft news:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ug=ycn-8514315
ahead of Kanter on the Cleveland board? Interesting. That could leave Kanter for Toronto at the #4 spot. Though those recent reports about his interview choices is disheartening.

Old
05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
MLSE

By the looks of it, it's only a pipe dream to think the Raps can get Kanter. He has shown every sign that he does NOT want to play for the Raptors.

IMHO it's looking like Knight or Walker. Rumours are they have expressed interest in Knight, maybe they are trying to boost value so they can setup for a trade?

Old
05-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...aft.camp.wrap/

Quote:
Yet the talk surrounding Kanter in Chicago had much more to do with the fact that he didn't sit down for interviews with Utah (No. 3, No. 12 picks), Toronto (No. 5) and Milwaukee (No. 10). Those non-meetings raised questions about whether Kanter's camp was avoiding certain teams, but Ergul said that wasn't entirely the case. They were only avoiding the Bucks.
Quote:
"Utah is coming here to Chicago, and we're going to go to Minnesota in the second half of June," Ergul said. "Toronto is coming here. Cleveland (Nos. 1 and 4 picks), we're trying to discussing logistics of dates and stuff."

Old
05-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
ahead of Kanter on the Cleveland board? Interesting. That could leave Kanter for Toronto at the #4 spot. Though those recent reports about his interview choices is disheartening.
Honestly, if our scouts feel Kanter is BPA, I'd pick him and worry about him wanting to play here later.

NBA prospects who are on the way of busting, have randomly pretty decent value(Thabeet(sp?), Beasley etc etc) in trades.

Old
05-23-2011, 11:04 PM
MLSE

Wowwww, I wrote that a little bit ago but since have seen Kanter will workout for the raps. GREAT TO SEE! Thought we had 0 chance, good to see it go up a spec.

Old
05-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

On nba.com, Colangelo mentioned Walker, Knight, Kanter, Vesley, that other Euro with a V, and Bismack Biyombo.

He also talks at length about wanting somebody who can rebound and defend the rim. I am starting to think there is a chance he ends up with Biyombo. I wouldn't like it, but I can see it happening.

Old
05-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
On nba.com, Colangelo mentioned Walker, Knight, Kanter, Vesley, that other Euro with a V, and Bismack Biyombo.

He also talks at length about wanting somebody who can rebound and defend the rim. I am starting to think there is a chance he ends up with Biyombo. I wouldn't like it, but I can see it happening.

Biyombo isn't a bad player, but he's a bit of a project. He'd have a fair amount of work to do, as his offensive game is super suspect don't you think?

His potential kind of reminds of Haseem Thabeet (the Grizzlies picked him IIRC)

A guy they thought would be a defensive demon, and yet he turned out to be a bust.

And this guy was brought through the NCAA system(which I feel transfers more than international competition does)

Old
05-24-2011, 12:58 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Biyombo isn't a bad player, but he's a bit of a project. He'd have a fair amount of work to do, as his offensive game is super suspect don't you think?

His potential kind of reminds of Haseem Thabeet (the Grizzlies picked him IIRC)

A guy they thought would be a defensive demon, and yet he turned out to be a bust.

And this guy was brought through the NCAA system(which I feel transfers more than international competition does)
God I hope they don't take Biyombo. I keep wondering when teams are going to realize that you can't just pick a freak athlete and say "yeah yeah yeah, we'll teach him to actually basketball later"

Like you said, he sounds a lot like Thabeet and other guys whose names escape me right now that had all kinds of athleticism but were terribly raw in terms of basketball skills. That might carry you through the NCAA and international competition, but not the NBA.

Old
05-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Biyombo is too much of a project and risk. Not worth it in my opinion.

Old
05-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
God I hope they don't take Biyombo. I keep wondering when teams are going to realize that you can't just pick a freak athlete and say "yeah yeah yeah, we'll teach him to actually basketball later"

Like you said, he sounds a lot like Thabeet and other guys whose names escape me right now that had all kinds of athleticism but were terribly raw in terms of basketball skills. That might carry you through the NCAA and international competition, but not the NBA.
Lol I feel the same way.

Dude has bust written all over him. Teams get too caught up with size, athleticism to see if the guy actually has skills that can translate to NBA. Size and athleticism is something you should look for as well but you can't draft a guy purely based on that... especially with the 5th overall pick.

Old
05-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Once Upon A Time

Here is how I see it going and it does not look good for the Raps.

1. Irving
2. Williams
3. Knight to Utah
4. Kanter
5. ????

If I were GM I would reach a little and gamble on Alec Burks. He can score and rebounds well for a guard. I know we have DD, but he can become an elite role player in the league and an improvement of Sonny or whoever our 2nd SG is right now.

Old
05-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Budsfan

Bargnani asks for warm climate, better role … if he’s not a Raptor.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-a-raptor?bn=1

Closed Thread