HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v14: Where the losses are losses and the wins are screwed away from us by the lottery

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

vCash: 500
Quote:
“I want to stay in Toronto, at least this is the politically correct answer. If (I am) to go somewhere else, I’d like a warm climate city and a team where I can actually play in my role.”
What's his role that Toronto isn't allowing him to play? This past season, he played with poor shot selection, taking a lot of shots, no rebounding and no defensive effort. I don't see in what department was he was restricted in. He was allow to play how he wanted this past season, too bad he played in a way which deserves heavy criticism.

Old
05-24-2011, 07:21 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
What's his role that Toronto isn't allowing him to play? This past season, he played with poor shot selection, taking a lot of shots, no rebounding and no defensive effort. I don't see in what department was he was restricted in. He was allow to play how he wanted this past season, too bad he played in a way which deserves heavy criticism.
he wants to play the 4. He's complained before that he's not a center and doesn't like playing there as much as his natural PF position.

that's also a dick comment from him. "I want to stay in toronto at least that's the politically correct answer." What the blue hell does that mean? That you're only saying it because it's expected of you? Well maybe if you weren't such a lazy, soft ****-up, you wouldn't get ragged on and feel all bummed out that nobody likes you. Also you'll go wherever the hell Colangelo trades you to for the best value. And you'll like it.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 12 GP, 4-6-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
he wants to play the 4. He's complained before that he's not a center and doesn't like playing there as much as his natural PF position.

that's also a dick comment from him. "I want to stay in toronto at least that's the politically correct answer." What the blue hell does that mean? That you're only saying it because it's expected of you? Well maybe if you weren't such a lazy, soft ****-up, you wouldn't get ragged on and feel all bummed out that nobody likes you. Also you'll go wherever the hell Colangelo trades you to for the best value. And you'll like it.
I guess his concern for what position makes sense, although I thought by now he accepted being a 5. He's going to have his critics no matter what if he continues playing the way he does. I doubt that him switching to the 4 will help him play better defense or rebound the ball better.

Old
05-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

To be completely honest, I never really liked Bargs.

He's ok at scoring, doesn't really rebound that well, isn't a good defender, not super athletic. In short, he's got tons of problems which keeps him from being an effective player.

I hope he's gone, who the hell says, 'politically correct answer' in that sentence? What a jerk.

05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Brock

Quote:
Yup. Which is never going to happen. At least from a team who is sane.

Bargs just isn't agile enough to defend against the majority of the 4's in the league.

Offensively, he'd probably be OK, but defensively, it'd be a nightmare.

At this point, I think it's time for the Raps to move on from him and start to build a new identity around the likes of Demar and their upcoming top 5 pick.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:34 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Bargs just isn't agile enough to defend against the majority of the 4's in the league.

At this point, I think it's time for the Raps to move on from him and start to build a new identity around the likes of Demar and their upcoming top 5 pick.
You may be right about Bargnani but do we really want to build around a 10% 3 point shooter with limited lateral mobility on defense? No style points are awarded for dunks in basketball, except at halftime contests.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:57 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
You may be right about Bargnani but do we really want to build around a 10% 3 point shooter with limited lateral mobility on defense? No style points are awarded for dunks in basketball, except at halftime contests.
Demar's shooting has improved quite a bit since his rookie season. he added a much more consistent mid-range game this past year. Give him another couple of years and I am fairly confident he can extend his shooting range out beyond the arc too.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
This is the real problen isn't it . We haven't had a player we could build around since VC . DD may turn out to be a solid player but he'll never be the guy to build around.

This team is just a mess.This team was bad with Bargs but we were freakin awful without him in the line up.

With or without Bargs we still need a solid defensive C , a pg who can run the O and play some D , and a sf who can hit the 3 , has some playmaking skills and can also play D.

Last edited by hotpaws: 05-24-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

I'd actually say build around a front court of Ed Davis and Kanter/Valanciunas .

I think Davis has fantastic potential, we just have to be patient for it.

I like Demar, I'm just not sure what his overall potential is. His FG% and FT% were fine, but his 3P% is ugly. He really needs to improve on that, still, with him, Davis, and hopefully Kanter/Valanciunas as our front court, we can hopefully do some damage.

We just need a PG and a SG.

Maybe something around Bargs + Calderon and Rubio since Minny needs a C and an upgrade at PG?

Old
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I'd actually say build around a front court of Ed Davis and Kanter/Valanciunas .

I think Davis has fantastic potential, we just have to be patient for it.

I like Demar, I'm just not sure what his overall potential is. His FG% and FT% were fine, but his 3P% is ugly. He really needs to improve on that, still, with him, Davis, and hopefully Kanter/Valanciunas as our front court, we can hopefully do some damage.

We just need a PG and a SG.

Maybe something around Bargs + Calderon and Rubio since Minny needs a C and an upgrade at PG?
DeMar plays SG. We need a PG, a SF, and a C.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

I'd day draft either Kanter/Val (if possible), and try swinging a deal for a PG maybe with Bargs as trade bait. None of the pg's in the draft excite me too much after Irving.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
DeMar plays SG. We need a PG, a SF, and a C.
I know he plays SG, but I wondering if he'd be more effective at SF.

Either way, we need a SG/SF, PG and C.

I'm hoping we fill the C void in the draft.

Also, apparently Andrei Kriolenko (sp?) is available this offseason. Should we have any interest?

Oh and Brandon 'chucker' Jennings is available at the right price from the Bucks too.

Lots of options this offseaosn #giddy.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
I'd day draft either Kanter/Val (if possible), and try swinging a deal for a PG maybe with Bargs as trade bait. None of the pg's in the draft excite me too much after Irving.
What are your thoughts on Jimmer?

And I'd target Rubio for sure if he's available. T-Wolves have the added bonus of having a moron as their GM.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:29 PM
topched

Quote:

And I'd target Rubio for sure if he's available. T-Wolves have the added bonus of having a moron as their GM.
I actually am pretty high on Jimmer. I think he could be the Steph Curry of this draft in that he's a pg thats slightly underrated despite putting up very good numbers. He's got a great scoring touch theres no doubt about that, and he can actually pass and make a play.

I'd love to make a deal with our pick and move down 3-4 spots and take Jimmer to round out the top 10. I think he'd be as good a fit as a Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:47 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

No, no, no, a thousand times no.

Jimmer is not a PG. He's more of an undersize SG than Walker or Knight are. And he's godawful on D. We all complain about how Calderon can't defend anyone? Get used to more of that if Jimmer were on the point.

He's going to go the way of JJ Redick and every other NCAA star who's all about the shot and lacks a bunch of other necessary skills. He's going to be a bench player who comes on to be a designated shooter.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:

I really do like Jimmer as a player. I have no idea where he'll be drafted.Good passer, exceptional shooter. I guess it becomes a question of what type of pg would you want for the Raptors, more of a passer or more of a shooter. Rubio for me offers the opposite, I absolutely love his play making ability, but his offense scares me, especially his fg% for the last two years which I think has been near 30%.

However, even though we need a pg badly, I'd be more than happy if we got either Kanter/Val with that 5th pick.

Old
05-24-2011, 11:06 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1462
Quote:

Jimmer is not a PG. He's more of an undersize SG than Walker or Knight are. And he's godawful on D. We all complain about how Calderon can't defend anyone? Get used to more of that if Jimmer were on the point.

He's going to go the way of JJ Redick and every other NCAA star who's all about the shot and lacks a bunch of other necessary skills. He's going to be a bench player who comes on to be a designated shooter.
This is how i see him as well . Also,i don't want a player with the name Jimmer on my team.

Old
05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:

I've heard Eddie House comparisons, which I think is fair. His defense is definitely weak.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:29 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

ESPN's Chad Ford has his 3rd mock draft up (2nd since the lottery) and he's switched hte Raptors from taking Valaciunas to taking Jan Vesley, saying that he's heard Toronto is higher on Vesley than they are on Valaciunas.

If that combines with the other reports that the Raptors like Kanter less than Valaciunas, it would seem that even if Cleveland takes Valaciunas at 4, the Raps wouldn't take Kanter at 5

He does also say that Kemba Walker is a consideration, and that if Knight makes it down past Utah at 3, he wouldn't fall any farther than Toronto.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I would say we should have just signed Aldridge, but dude would wanna leave hisself.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Budsfan

Raptors keep eye on Rudy Gay

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/24...ye-on-rudy-gay

Quote:
Colangelo could have acquired Gay in 2006 when the Raptors won the lottery and elected to use the first overall pick on Andrea Bargnani in a draft class many believed lacked a franchise player.

If anything, history has shown that Colangelo eventually gets his man and will do whatever it takes.

Perhaps the price may end up involving Bargnani, Toronto’s own trade exception obtained in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade with the Heat, the No. 5 draft pick or any combination of assets for Gay.

What must be made clear is that if Gay is indeed available, then expect the Raptors to be involved.

Imagine a remade Raptors team with Gay as the primary scoring option, DeMar DeRozan entering his third year, an emerging Ed Davis and the prospect of acquiring via free agency a legitimate rebounding centre

Old
05-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Yes please..........I'm gay for Gay.

Old
05-25-2011, 08:28 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
Yes please..........I'm gay for Gay.
Same here. Can do it all, slash, shoot the 3. We would be MUCH improved with him in the mix. Would give us a much more solid lineup. Could look to replace Bargs with a big rebounding Defensive C (basically everything he's not) in free agency.

Old
05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Savynquick*

Can the raptors really last in toronto? How long can the model of drafting guys or trading for guys and having them leave last? Seems like no big stars want anything to do with playing there.

Old
05-25-2011, 11:26 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Can the raptors really last in toronto? How long can the model of drafting guys or trading for guys and having them leave last? Seems like no big stars want anything to do with playing there.
No stars want anything to do with playing in Toronto because of the fact that the team has been to the second round 1 time since its existence, and only 2 more times have they made the playoffs.

Toronto is a great market a top 10 city in North America, with a good fan base. This team would be able to accumulate stars if they can right the ship and start winning on a consistent basis with big names in their lineup. As much as I dislike him I dont blame Chris Bosh for wanting out, the team showed him no evidence that they would be a contender any time soon.

There are teams in the NBA that I would look to for trouble like Minnesota, Sacremento, Indiana and Milwaukee before Toronto.

Closed Thread