HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Bruins vs Canucks , Saturday Feb 26, 2011 at 7:00 PST - CBC(HD)

Old
02-27-2011, 12:39 AM
opendoor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Because they play a style that the Canucks struggle against. They play a playoff style. It's really concerning and if you can't see it, I feel bad for you.
Too bad a lot of these "playoff style" teams probably won't see a single playoff game this year.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell_soup View Post
Wow, some awkward questions for Kesler. Scott Oake is creepy.
At least we found out why Kesler really struggled last playoffs.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
David71

good interview by kesler.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
You can't prove anything to the league in February. If fans honestly haven't learned that after the last 2 playoff losses then it's hard to know what to say. If you're an elite team, there's no such thing as a measuring stick game in the regular season. You know you're a contender and you try to play your game all the time. If the bounces go Canucks way instead of Bruins way it's a Canucks win. I thought the Canucks generated the superior chances overall in the game but were thwarted by the absurdly hot Thomas and some bad bounces. As long as the team gets back on something of a roll before the playoffs I'm not too concerned at this point. Health is the main thing.N

Now we wait and see what Gillis does or doesn't do. Normally I'm against trading picks for minor assets, but this season feels different, so if a Reasoner type can be had to shore things up on the fourth line, I'm okay with that. Then again I won't be upset if nothing happens.
Which is not to say that regular season games against Stanley Cup contenders are meaningless. These are the only games in the regular season where we are able to see how we compare to other Stanley Cup contenders. I'm sure both teams look at it the same way and try to bring their best play to the game.

For me, I'm seeing too many patterns.

The cycle game goes from low to high and play dies because the opposition collapses to the middle of the ice.

The neutral zone is well protected and the transition game suffers.

PP struggles.

Not enough net presence.

I did think we played well tonight, but we did not convert on our chances. Odds are, we've said this before.

Bourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
They are saying that the canucks need more size up front and that lucic would look great in a canucks uniform.

Its obvious, but its the truth, whats wrong with that?
Yes. and they should make a trade for a #1 scorer that fits into the cap. And perhaps they could use a guy like Bure in his prime.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
Yes. and they should make a trade for a #1 scorer that fits into the cap. And perhaps they could use a guy like Bure in his prime.
Again how is that poison to the average fan?

more like just being captain obvious

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
David71

vancouver needs A NET presence IN front of the opposing goalies ASAP.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:42 AM
just22
Registered *****

why are people in general agreement of boston being some magical "playoff ready" team when they have more to prove than the canucks?

when i think of choking, i think of boston first

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:42 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
vancouver needs A NET presence IN front of the opposing goalies ASAP.
i agree, its blatantly obvious

Old
02-27-2011, 12:44 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
why are people in general agreement of boston being some magical "playoff ready" team when they have more to prove than the canucks?

when i think of choking, i think of boston first
I don't think they are necessary playoff ready.

They just have something we dont' have, which is powerforwards.

However they don't necessarily have enough creativity up front, which we have in spades with the twins alone.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:45 AM
hlrsr

I freaking hate it when the Canucks lose on Saturday night. Ruins my whole evening. ****.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:46 AM
crazycanuck

Thoughts on tonight.

The lack of Edler, and Bieksa's transition game really showed.

Oreskovich was very impressive tonight, he's starting to get his legs under him and given the chance will be a very strong 4th line winger going into the playoffs.

The 3rd line continues to roll, if only Torres could play likes this all the time, lol. A physical Torres just opens up a lot of ice for Malholtra and Hansen.

Gilllis said it right when he mentioned how the Canucks were not healthy. Missing 2 of your top 4 defensemen will definately take a toll.

No need to panic. The game could've gone either way.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:46 AM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
I don't think they are necessary playoff ready.

They just have something we dont' have, which is powerforwards.

However they don't necessarily have enough creativity up front, which we have in spades with the twins alone.
They don't have a single elite forward. When was the last time a team won the cup without a point per game forward (or even just a top 20 scorer)?

People marvel at Boston's power forwards but history isn't on their side if they're hoping to win a cup without any gamebreakers up front.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Lobster57

vCash: 225
Quote:

I always laugh when there's Bruins fans at canuck games. There is like NO connection between the 2. BC has a lot of Bandwagoners.
I think its a combination of being an original 6 team, and that they only play in Vancouver every couple seasons, so every Bs fan within striking distance marks the day on the calendar and makes sure to be there.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:47 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
No, it's get old. It's the same as people randomly blaming Luongo. You get so upset when this team loses and make little to no sense.

The Bruins were outhit and outshot and yet you think that they couldnt measure up physically. You must love listening to 1040 after a loss as they feed on this BS.

If you expect the top 2 lines to show up 82 games a year, good luck. This team will be measured in the playoffs. Period. Good luck seeing Henrik dive to block a shot in the regular season or Salo trying to murder someone with his shot to get a meaningless goal when the division is already packed in.

If you're going to complain about "top6" so to speak, Toews and Crosby were both ghosts in the finals.
It's simpler than you think. The top 6 shows up when they play against opponents that open it up, thus giving them space. Vancouver can compete with a team like Detroit because both teams employ the same style. It's not just a matter of the top two lines not showing up for all 82 games. I actually think Kesler DOES show up almost every game. It's about what kind of teams they're effective against, and what teams they're effectively SHUT DOWN against. Teams like the Bruins, Rangers, and Habs from the East, and the Predators, Blues, and Wild from the West are the kind of teams that the Canucks' forward group is pretty much routinely rendered ineffective against. THAT'S the issue.

BTW, all you guys are way too lazy. You put words into other people's mouths too often. I never said the Canucks didn't measure up physically. In fact, I thought the Canucks put on a very physical show in tonight's game, especially Oreskovich and Torres. My ONLY point I was every trying to make is that it's concerning that our top 6 proved yet again tonight that they can't get it done against teams that check them closely.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:48 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
They don't have a single elite forward. When was the last time a team won the cup without a point per game forward (or even just a top 20 scorer)?

People marvel at Boston's power forwards but history isn't on their side if they're hoping to win a cup without any gamebreakers up front.
When did i say boston will win the cup?

I just posted that they lacked creativity up front? You can't read?

Old
02-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Detroit is 1-3-0 against Nashville this year! They're not tough enough for playoff hockey! All those series Nashville has won playing their brand of hockey. Detroit is 1-2-1 against DALLAS. How can we think a team is playoff caliber when they get smacked around by Dallas? They're 1-2-1 against San Jose and lost to them in the playoffs. They lost to San Jose in the playoffs? Who does that?

This game is so much fun...The proof of how good this team will come when it actually matters in the playoffs. They didn't have any problem putting up goals last year, they had problems on the PK and defensively.

Just like Boston has to prove that they won't come up dry due to their lack of team speed and lack of creativity offensively again.
I think you're right, but it doesn't stop people from throwing out generalities like "the Sedins will never have success in the playoffs", "we don't have enough depth", "trade Raymond", or things of that ilk.

But there are no guarantees that they will have the same post-season success offensively like last year. I rather voice some of my concerns now than be ignorant to them like we were to our defensive downfalls last year.

Bourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
I hate to make excuses for the team but we lost because Thomas was really good, it was a tight game, and we made two mental mistakes against some big (literally) time forwards:

1st goal, Raymond can't let Horton get 2 whacks at the puck like that (didn't have position and didn't look to see where the puck was) but its not surprising as Raymond doesn't often win puck battles.

This resulted in Raymond getting replaced on the 2nd line by Glass who it has to be said, was not very effective. If Glass is on the 2nd line come playoff time, we are in big trouble.

2nd goal, neither Daniel (who was the man back), nor Samuelsson pick up Lucic. What do you expect?

These kinds of mental mistakes can't happen in tight games, better now than in the playoffs I suppose...

On the good news front, the 3rd line was very effective - generated lots of chances and played the Bruins hard.

Also, Oreskovich was our most effective 4th liner. Skated hard, positionally sound, strong on the puck, one big hit, made some nice passes both in our zone and in the Bruins' zone.

Tanev was better than against the Blues but still not as good as earlier but as GMMG alluded to in the HNIC interview, we've certainly overplayed him. Also, putting a rookie out there with Rome is birth by fire. At around the 10minute mark of the 3rd period, Tanev is forechecked on and has to skate out of trouble as Rome is not positioned to receive a pass. You can compare with Salo who always puts himself in position to receive a pass from his D partner.

Bruins certainly upgraded their lineup by adding Kaberle, Peverley and especially Kelly who at a $2.1M cap hit, is great value.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:51 AM
David71

if van faces a team that is defensively minded. IT WILL clearly frustrate the team.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:51 AM
wetcoastwhale

Colour me impressed with CoHo tonight.
I know expectations for him are sky-high, but he looks like his confidence was growing as the game went along. Tonight he looked like he belonged in the NHL, and if he continues to make improvements in his game, I wouldn't b concerned with him patrolling the 4th line in the playoffs.

wetcoastwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
Nights like tonight we really missed Edler out there. Defensively and on the PP.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CamronGiles*

content with the loss we just need more finish it wasnt that frustrating bottom 6 looked ****en awesome

CamronGiles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cody Hodgson

cody hodgson played a good game and was effective for most of the 7 minutes he got. Wish the coaches saw that and gave him more of an opportunity on the 2nd line instead of promoting glass to 2nd line.

Cody Hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Because they play a style that the Canucks struggle against. They play a playoff style. It's really concerning and if you can't see it, I feel bad for you.
You might be on to something but the sample size just isn't that large. Here's the Canucks record against teams with the best goals against average:

vs Bos 0-1-0
vs Nash 1-1-0
vs LA 0-1-1
vs Pitts 0-1-0
vs NYR 0-1-0
vs Wash 1-0-0
vs philly 1-0-0
vs Minnesota 2-2-0
vs SJ 2-0-1
total=7-7-2

vs Montreal 0-2-0
vs NJ 1-0-0
vs Chicago vs 2-1-1
vs Florida vs 1-0-0
vs Dallas 4-0-0
vs Calgary 3-0-1
vs Phoenix 1-1-0
vs St Louis 2-2-0
vs Detroit 1-0-2
vs Buffalo 0-0-1
total= 15-6-5

vs Columbus 2-0-0
vs Anaheim 1-2-0
vs Toronto 2-0-0
vs Carolina 1-0-0
vs Tampa 0-0-1
vs Atlanta 0-0-0
vs NYI 1-0-0
vs Ottawa 2-0-0
vs Edmonton 4-0-0
vs Colorado 4-0-1
total=17-2-2

total=39-15-9

When it comes to teams that play real well defensively the Canucks just don't seem to have a real dominate record. With that being said the Canucks have only played Minnesota and San Jose more then twice out of that top bunch.

The good news is that most of those top defensive teams play in the East. So if you break it down even further here's what we look like vs the best defensive teams in the west:

vs Nash 1-1-0
vs LA 0-1-1
vs Minnesota 2-2-0
vs SJ 2-0-1
total=5-4-2

vs Chicago vs 2-1-1
vs Dallas 4-0-0
vs Calgary 3-0-1
vs Phoenix 1-1-0
vs St Louis 2-2-0
vs Detroit 1-0-2
total= 13-4-4

vs Columbus 2-0-0
vs Anaheim 1-2-0
vs Edmonton 4-0-0
vs Colorado 4-0-1
total=11-2-1

total=29-10-7

We have 2 games left vs Minnesota, Nashville and LA and one left against San Jose. While 5-4-2 doesn't look too great against the top four teams if you expand that to the top 7 teams (50% of the other western conference teams) our record is 14-5-2.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:00 AM
22Brad Park

You guys have a great team yoo root for.I thought Nucks had best chances tonite vs my Bruins.But Bruins had the bounces go their way.Overall,not a bad game i guess to watch.Good luck in playoffs,maybe they will meet agasin

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote