HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Setoguchi good trade bait?

View Poll Results: Should the Sharks keep or trade Devin Setoguchi?
Keep him 92 91.09%
Trade him 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Squeeven

vCash: 500
Setoguchi good trade bait?

I'm not saying I've heard any sort of rumors or anything but I think that with Seto's play lately, he must have turned a few GM's heads. He's got 7 points in 4 games (6 goals, 1 assist), including a hat trick against the Avs last Saturday. Now, my question is....should we keep him or trade him for a much needed defensemen? Obviously his recent play, has played a huge factor in the Sharks' recent streak, so would it be wise to trade him or should we hang on to a guy this hot?

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Melvin10

Send a message via AIM to Melvin10
I can see Seto being a dynamic goal scorer for years to come. I think he has much more potential than Bernier, Michalek, or Cheechoo had. I'd really hate to see him go. But in my opinion at this point I'd hang on to him.

Melvin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:51 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
I'm not saying I've heard any sort of rumors or anything but I think that with Seto's play lately, he must have turned a few GM's heads. He's got 7 points in 4 games (6 goals, 1 assist), including a hat trick against the Avs last Saturday. Now, my question is....should we keep him or trade him for a much needed defensemen? Obviously his recent play, has played a huge factor in the Sharks' recent streak, so would it be wise to trade him or should we hang on to a guy this hot?
Why do we need a defensemen?

Boyle - Murray
Vlasic - White
Huskins - Demers
Wallin - Braun

I count 8. Pretty solid defense too. If you are going to bring in another D-man your giong to have to waive or trade Wallin (unlikely) waive or trade Huskins (unlikely), send Braun back down (they already said they want him to stay up), or send away one of Vlasic or Murray (in which case, your limiting your net gain).

It just doesn't seem likely to me. We would have to get a top end defensemen for it to make any sense and even then that is a LOT of churn at the deadline, which is historically playoff suicide.

I'm fine with what we've got. Pickup a backup goalie if needed, maybe a bottom 6'er as insurance.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Jesus Toews*

The Sharks don't need a defenseman any more and even when they did, I was against trading Setoguchi. The only thing the Sharks should be looking to add at the deadline is an improvement over Mitchell on the third scoring line.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:54 PM
BillR10

Is this a joke? Definitely keep him. Couture-Thornton-setoguchi has been the best line the past few games that they've been together. The defense will be fine the way it is. Where trying to make a playoff run, why trade away our players that are starting to heat up at the right time of the year? Also we need 3 lines that can score in the playoffs, trading seto would make us a 2 line team again.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

I agree with Hockeyball, the void in the D was filled with the acquisition of White. No big move on D is needed and if anything we just need a forward to round off the top 9.

Sharkway Drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:55 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Why do we need a defensemen?
Boyle - Murray
Vlasic - White
Huskins - Demers
Wallin - Braun

I count 8. Pretty solid defense too. If you are going to bring in another D-man your giong to have to waive or trade Wallin (unlikely) waive or trade Huskins (unlikely), send Braun back down (they already said they want him to stay up), or send away one of Vlasic or Murray (in which case, your limiting your net gain).

It just doesn't seem likely to me. We would have to get a top end defensemen for it to make any sense and even then that is a LOT of churn at the deadline, which is historically playoff suicide.

I'm fine with what we've got. Pickup a backup goalie if needed, maybe a bottom 6'er as insurance.
I don't understand why people think we still need a d-man, can someone explain it to me? We have 8 NHL ready d-men on the team and they will all be needed for a playoff run.

And no, seeing as DW "reportedly" wouldn't part w/ Seto for a 'premier defenseman', I don't see them trading him.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
rangerssharks414

If the Sharks get an offer they like, and they have to include Seto, they'll do it.

I pretty much feel the same way.

Edit: I didn't realize we were talking about this season. Keep him then.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

keep him this season, but move him in the offseason if the right deal is there waiting for us to grab it.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
zombiekopitor
i am lorde, ya ya ya

vCash: 50
no I don't want him to go at all. It looks as if he's found his game and we should at least wait the rest of the season to see if it stays, only if he was in a move this offseason for one of the many RFA D studs would I want to see him go.
oh and that guy to fill out our top 9 should be Paul Kariya Kariya-JT-Seto ohhhh yeh, I know he "retired" but I wouldnt be suprised if he was just pulling a Selanne/Neidermeyer

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
keep him this season, but move him in the offseason if the right deal is there waiting for us to grab it.
It all depends on how his year turns out. If he's really turned his game around and continues anywhere close to what he's putting out now you keep him. He signed for much cheaper than most of us thought and if he performs you reward him, not chuck him out with the garbage.

That appears to be DW's MO I might add.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
sjshrky27

I think DW told seto he better pick up his game, or he was going to trade him. Now Seto is a madman!

DW should have used that excuse the first day of the season.

BTW Seto isnt going anywhere unless its for a onesided, cap friendly player, that has mad skills which means = it isn't gonna happen...

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:30 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
I probably approach from two angles. First is for now. And for now, we are set except at goal. Messing with a lineup that is delivering this kind of effort and success is not worth it.

For later I agree, it depends who we get. The argument is similar to ones we've had about Marleau and Clowe. When a player is in a down streak, everyone wants to trade them. If they have a positive streak, he is untouchable. Seto's effort is ramped up and he is skating to the net again. He's not scoring off the one-timers like he did on Joe's right side. He's going to the paint and some goals are going in off his body and he is taking the abuse in close.

The issues that dog Seto have been decision making and ice vision. He can skate, finish a check, and get off a one-timer, but his ability to help sustain offensive zone time has been a deep question, being unable to set up his other line mates. He's improving especially in the corners, and made a sweet pass from behind the net for a goal the other night, but that is the biggest question for him.

In some ways, his little streak might make him more tradeable this summer. But again, IF there is a solid piece available for him then sure, trade him. I see the chances of that really depending on his contract approach. If he wants to stay a Shark, he is going to have to be reasonable with his demands and if he is, he will stay with the team.

02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Squeeven

Man, I feel stupid for voting 'trade him', lol. You guys are right, can I change my vote somehow please Nemesis?

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
coooldude

The point of activity near the trade deadline is to shore up your team for a deep run, or to try to use other teams' desperation against them and sell assets for more than you otherwise might get.

Doug already made solid moves with Eager and Wellwood, and made a significant (although not blockbuster) deal re: White. Unless someone ridiculous (e.g. #1 defenseman) comes up for Seto, which is highly unlikely why mess with a team that is finally firing on all cylinders? Keep him.

Summertime is another question... the dynamics get very complicated and we won't even know what to think until after the playoffs are over.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

he's red hot and we need him. i'm really not seeing any reason to move him as we've upgraded other positions on the team w/o losing a good player. Nice work DW!

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
ThorntonFan19

Trading Seto would be a huge mistake for the sharks. Couture, Clowe, Pavelski and Setoguchi are going to be key for us in the playoffs.

He's playing the best hockey of his carreer right now. There is absolutely no reason to give up on him now. Especially now that we have White. And even if White doesnt resign, we still have Demers to jump onto the 2nd pairing (so far he's actually looked better than White imo).

We are a complete team right now. If we make any trades I want it to be sending us picks back because I really dont see any glaring need.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Two months ago we were all to eager to get rid of him. Watch, two months from now we'll be back to being too wishing we traded him when his value peaked

but indeed, I voted to keep him. Hes red hot, and there's no sense in trading a hot commodity unless we get a ridiculously good deal in return.

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:08 PM
GCB2000

say Shea Weber or Ryan Suter and I would do it

GCB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:12 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
keep him, unless we're getting a young stud defenseman back (Jack Johnson, Bogosian, etc.) and i dont see that happening so he's staying.. We need good young players, and team chemistry should count for something. I'd hate to trade away one of Couture's friends..

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Kitten Mittons

Seto, Petrecki, 1st for Bogosian. Boom.

I voted no because he is finally useful and hopefully carries it over into the playoffs and DW would say no because he is in love with him.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:16 PM
SJeasy

There is also the heavy tilt to homegrown scoring in the playoffs. If the playoffs matter in the future, it is best to keep homegrown scoring talent. And, on top of that, Seto has produced in the playoffs at about a second line rate, 0.5 ppg. Just because someone isn't 1.0 ppg in the playoffs doesn't mean that they are trash. It is real easy to get guys who are 0.7 reg season and 0.3 or less in the playoffs.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
DutchSharksfan11

i think seto pavs and coutere are the future number one line players when all the contracts run out...

DutchSharksfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Janney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
Two months ago we were all to eager to get rid of him. Watch, two months from now we'll be back to being too wishing we traded him when his value peaked

but indeed, I voted to keep him. Hes red hot, and there's no sense in trading a hot commodity unless we get a ridiculously good deal in return.
Amen.

I was only one of two people to vote 'trade him'? Hahaha, I look silly now. I say definitely shop him around on the 28th. Teams are more inclined to overpay during deadlines, so if its one of those Avs-Blues trades, where we're not using Seto for a rental but solidifying, say our defense, or just get a better return even if it is a forward...then why not?

There's been talk about David Booth potentially being dealt out of the Panthers (not entirely a hot rumor, but his name does get thrown around). Then you got your Bogosian rumors. Like Davidhye mentioned above, Seto+young Dman+pick for Bogo...or use a different package to get a guy like Booth (I mean you'd have to deal with serious cap issues and all that, but he's just an example for arguments sake), I say pull the trigger.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Kitten Mittons

I think they would want a roster player in return. Would anyone go as far as trading Seto, Vlasic, 1st for Bogosian? We need them for the playoffs, that's the problem. Let's trade White, lol.

I don't want Booth. Concussion history, plus just meh...

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote