HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Setoguchi good trade bait?

View Poll Results: Should the Sharks keep or trade Devin Setoguchi?
Keep him 92 91.09%
Trade him 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Jan Hejda depending on the price. Ideally, Hejda could play with either Demers or Braun. Provides puck-moving and some physicality.
Hejda won't come here. He wouldn't stand Heatley pointing out his mistakes during the post-game interviews.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Gilligans Island

On Hammer, I'm going mostly off the games we've played against one another.

I forgot Hejda will be a UFA so I'll step back and say I'd like to see a line up like this:

Murray - Boyle
Tough dman - White
Braun - Demers
(tough dman and Braun could be switched)

That tough dmen could be Hejda, Coburn, Tyutin (swap with Murray then), or Hammer (debatable, I know).

Basically, I'm looking for a tougher, stay-at-home, defensively sound dman who's an upgrade to Pickles and then deal Pickles for the fwd I mentioned above.

My concern with losing Wallin is as you say, PF, losing his toughness. Vlasic alone won't provide that. And we can't count on Murray only.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Braun - Demers sounds like a nightmare.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
On Hammer, I'm going mostly off the games we've played against one another.

I forgot Hejda will be a UFA so I'll step back and say I'd like to see a line up like this:

Murray - Boyle
Tough dman - White
Braun - Demers
(tough dman and Braun could be switched)

That tough dmen could be Hejda, Coburn, Tyutin (swap with Murray then), or Hammer (debatable, I know).

Basically, I'm looking for a tougher, stay-at-home, defensively sound dman who's an upgrade to Pickles and then deal Pickles for the fwd I mentioned above.

My concern with losing Wallin is as you say, PF, losing his toughness. Vlasic alone won't provide that. And we can't count on Murray only.
One scenario is Mike Moore in terms of replacing Wallin. He's on a one-way next year and he is definitely a physical presence but whether he'll round out as a competent NHL d-man to start next year is definitely a big question.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:05 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Braun and Demers together is a big no-no. Jason has improved his defense, but not enough to carry a rookie Braun, though he won't be considered a rookie.

If Wallin re-upped for <$1 for one year to be a partner with Braun only, would you guys be opposed?

Boyle-Murray
Demers-Vlasic
Wallin-Braun

That's pretty cheap and Demers and Vlasic can handle top-four minutes.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

I'd do Wallin for 525,000k

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Braun and Demers together is a big no-no. Jason has improved his defense, but not enough to carry a rookie Braun, though he won't be considered a rookie.

If Wallin re-upped for <$1 for one year to be a partner with Braun only, would you guys be opposed?

Boyle-Murray
Demers-Vlasic
Wallin-Braun

Rather have Huskins

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:09 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
i'd be opposed. I'd rather have Huskins over Wally for the same price/

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:

Boyle-Murray
Demers-Vlasic
Wallin-Braun

Please no. Ideally, the Sharks should be looking to add a two-way blueliner to the mix. Preferably one who's on White's level offensively but at least somewhat superior defensively. Coburn and Tyutin are the two I could think of who are realistic (no Seabrook/Suter/Weber) and Hammer is one where you don't really know what you're going to get on the offensive side of the puck. If anyone has other suggestions, please post them. The Sharks absolutely need 4 of their top 6 to be able to be good to great offensively. They already have Boyle, Demers and Braun so one more is a necessity. In a perfect world, the Sharks would be able to acquire someone so good both ways that pairing them with Vlasic would allow that pairing to draw the toughest assignments and most minutes while also generating offense and feeding the transition--allowing Boyle to get second-tier matchups which he would be more comfortable with--but the only players in the NHL I can think of who fit that bill are Pronger, Weber, Doughty and maybe Burns and none of them are available. So, in summation:

Coburn/Tyutin/Hjalmarsson/X--Boyle
Murray--Demers
Vlasic--Braun
Moore

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Gilligans Island

Still want White - worried about putting undue pressure on Braun to be a full-time NHLer and consistent PMD next season.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:24 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Still want White - worried about putting undue pressure on Braun to be a full-time NHLer and consistent PMD next season.
What undue pressure? He'll be 2 yrs into pro career, 24 yrs old and should he earn a spot out of camp, he'll have to play well enough to keep it. There's no more pressure on him than any of the other young d-men in the league. 3rd pairing minutes against lower level competition is where he should continue to develop.

With Murray, Demers, Boyle, Vlasic and Braun you have the foundation for a good, mobile D. Adding Hejda to that mix helps - I'll have to see more of White to see if / where he might fit.

Signing or trading (you say McGinn and a 2nd) for a "tougher", better version (you also have to read that as likely more expensive) and then trading Vlasic + for a forward prospect w/ top 6 potential (note that's the scouting report on McGinn and Ferriero, top 9 w/ potential for top 6) just doesn't sound like it's worth it to me.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
What undue pressure? He'll be 2 yrs into pro career, 24 yrs old and should he earn a spot out of camp, he'll have to play well enough to keep it. There's no more pressure on him than any of the other young d-men in the league. 3rd pairing minutes against lower level competition is where he should continue to develop.

With Murray, Demers, Boyle, Vlasic and Braun you have the foundation for a good, mobile D. Adding Hejda to that mix helps - I'll have to see more of White to see if / where he might fit.

Signing or trading (you say McGinn and a 2nd) for a "tougher", better version (you also have to read that as likely more expensive) and then trading Vlasic + for a forward prospect w/ top 6 potential (note that's the scouting report on McGinn and Ferriero, top 9 w/ potential for top 6) just doesn't sound like it's worth it to me.
McGinn and Ferriero definitely aren't top 9 quality on a team looking to run three lines of scoring like DW and the Sharks clearly are. It would be a huge mistake to pencil them into even third line roles next season IMO. I don't even want McGinn on the fourth line--McCarthy has looked much, much better in a smaller sample size. I'm fine with Ferriero as the 4th line RW and a potential injury replacement on the third line, but nothing more.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:29 AM
matt trick

What I'd like to see:
Marleau (6.9)-Thornton (7.2)-Setoguchi (2.5)
Clowe (3.625)-Couture (1.242)-McGinn/Ferrerio (.7)
Sturm/Frolov* (2)-Pavelski (4)- Heatley (7.5)
Eager (1)- Nichol (.75)- McCarty (.6)
Macintyre/Wingels/McGinn/Ferrerio (.7)

Boyle (6.67)- Murray (2.5)
Vlasic (3.1)- White/Hejda (3.5)
Demers (1.25)-Braun (.85)
Moore (.5125)

Niemi (3.5)
Stalock (.85)

*If Sturm, Frolov, or an equivalent type forward isn't available, I'd keep Wellwood (and might try to keep him anyway).

I'd offer both McGinn and Ferrerio cheap one-way deals below their qualifying offers, might even be able to get them around 550-600k if they were guaranteed 550k.

Total: 61.24 million

I have to say I really like White, but I don't know that he is the right fit with a group of d-men like ours, especially once Braun establishes himself full time. Vlasic-Braun could be awesome long term, but that leaves two of White, Demers, and Boyle to play together.

Of course another option is to move Vlasic+ to try to get a bigger, more physical defensive d-man (ideally with a better offensive game as well). In a dream world, getting Burns for Vlasic, 1st, Petrecki or something like that could really even out the D corps, but I really don't see it happening. Also, I see the idea behind moving Vlasic for a top 6 forward (Boddker, Tendeby, Tikhonov type). Guys who aren't established, but offer speed, and could fit well as an eigth/ninth scoring option. Note: I don't see those teams needing Vlasic, but that'd be the level of guy I'd look for.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
McGinn and Ferriero definitely aren't top 9 quality on a team looking to run three lines of scoring like DW and the Sharks clearly are. It would be a huge mistake to pencil them into even third line roles next season IMO. I don't even want McGinn on the fourth line--McCarthy has looked much, much better in a smaller sample size. I'm fine with Ferriero as the 4th line RW and a potential injury replacement on the third line, but nothing more.
I didn't say anything about either of them being penciled in anywhere or that either were top 6 talent...
Just pointing out the risks in trading an established top 4 dman for a prospect w/ potential. That potential isn't always met.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Sign Eric Brewer

Boyle Murray
Vlasic Braun
Brewer Demers
spare: Huskins

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote