HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What can I do so I don't feel like jello by the end of a game?

Old
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
russellmania79

vCash: 500
What can I do so I don't feel like jello by the end of a game?

Hi guys... I'm having trouble being able to barely stand up after a game. I play in adult ice hockey rec league. The games are 45 minutes and my team only has two lines, so I'm on the ice for about half of that time (I play forward). My problem is that I find my energy level depletes very quickly throughout the game. I really start to feel like jello by the half way point and to make it to the end of the game I have to really push myself. By the end of the game I can barely stand up. It not just my legs that have this feeling. It's my whole body. I've even noticed in a couple of games I feel a bit of mental fatigue as well. I've been trying to figure out the cause of this but I just can't figure it out. I'm in pretty decent shape (32 years old, 5'6, 180 pounds). I work out about 3 times a week with one of those days being a leg workout day. I load up on healthy carbs about 24 hours prior to my games and I don't eat anything about 4 hours prior to game time. I drink water at the end of every shift. I'll admit my cardio in the gym has been inconsistent. I'll go a couple of weeks of doing the stationary bike or fast uphill walking on a treadmill to a few weeks of doing nothing. I play hockey once a week and I attend hockey school once a week. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for all replies.

russellmania79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:59 AM
donelikedinner

your cardio seems to be very weak. a few weeks of cardio training with only weight lifting for muscle maintenance and an improved diet should help. loading up on carbs 24 hours before is not the answer either. a balanced diet before and after will help. you can also gain more energy by consuming chocolate milk 2 hours before you hit the ice as it is a good source of carbs, natural sugars and protein.

that's pretty brief but it should get you going in the right direction.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Ribosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmania79 View Post
Hi guys... I'm having trouble being able to barely stand up after a game. I play in adult ice hockey rec league. The games are 45 minutes and my team only has two lines, so I'm on the ice for about half of that time (I play forward). My problem is that I find my energy level depletes very quickly throughout the game. I really start to feel like jello by the half way point and to make it to the end of the game I have to really push myself. By the end of the game I can barely stand up. It not just my legs that have this feeling. It's my whole body. I've even noticed in a couple of games I feel a bit of mental fatigue as well. I've been trying to figure out the cause of this but I just can't figure it out. I'm in pretty decent shape (32 years old, 5'6, 180 pounds). I work out about 3 times a week with one of those days being a leg workout day. I load up on healthy carbs about 24 hours prior to my games and I don't eat anything about 4 hours prior to game time. I drink water at the end of every shift. I'll admit my cardio in the gym has been inconsistent. I'll go a couple of weeks of doing the stationary bike or fast uphill walking on a treadmill to a few weeks of doing nothing. I play hockey once a week and I attend hockey school once a week. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for all replies.
That's too late. Not sure how much science is behind the old saying that if you're thirsty then you're already dehydrated. Either way: drink water throughout the course of game day. Gatorade is good for after the game as it will replenish electrolytes.

I don't drink much water on the bench because I get stomach cramps sometimes, but if it works for you then continue that.

edit: however, it's probably just a cardio thing.

Ribosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Gino 14

Sounds more like a diet and fluids issue than cardio.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:15 PM
russellmania79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribosome View Post
That's too late. Not sure how much science is behind the old saying that if you're thirsty then you're already dehydrated. Either way: drink water throughout the course of game day. Gatorade is good for after the game as it will replenish electrolytes.

I don't drink much water on the bench because I get stomach cramps sometimes, but if it works for you then continue that.

Sorry... I forgot to mention that I drink a crapload of water on gameday. I thought that would be the soloution to my problem a while back, but I still feel the same.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
I don't know what the scientifically correct thing to do, but not eating 4 hours before a game would be suicide for me. Also, as far as i know, loading up on carbs 24 hours before a game would have a minimal effect. I, personally, have a dinner before i play, maybe an hour and a half before game time. Usually some sort of pasta dinner, so i have carbs to use during the game.

Muscles use a lot of potassium to work correctly, and i would try eating some high-potassium foods before you play. Bananas, oranges, kiwi... any kind of fruit like that could help.

Another thing i would consider is how tight your equipment is. If your skates/pads are strapped too tight, you'll cut off the circulation and you'll experience pretty extreme fatigue. I used to have this problem with my elbow pads. By the time i'd take a shot even halfway through the game, my arms would feel like wet spaghetti. But since i've loosened them, i've never had the problem.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Ozolinsh_27

I would try eating something with protein at least 4 hours before gametime, then like others have suggested - have a snack of bananas or some chocolate milk an hour before the game.

Then during the game drink some gatorade or powerade. I'm not in the greatest shape myself right now, and have tried to focus in on the meal timing - I've had a good run of games where I've felt the "good tired" and not the omg rubber feeling.

Maybe watching some youtube videos of NHLers and their gameday routines will help, they often mention when they eat and snack on those days.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved83

Try eating something like chicken/sweet potato/ broccoli about 2 hours before, and then an apple/banana a half hour before playing. Obviously you should maintain proper hydration. This usually works for me.

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I don't know what the scientifically correct thing to do, but not eating 4 hours before a game would be suicide for me.
I was going to say the same thing. I can't even imagine not eating 4 hours before a game. I would totally pass out.

I try to drink a lot of water the day before and the day of, and thus no alcohol the day before either (it would counteract all the hydration I'm doing). Sports drinks in my water bottle during games made a big difference for me, too. I think I need the sugar!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribosome View Post

I've found that watering down gatorade works well for drinking in game. Still get some electrolytes but don't feel as weighed down by all that sugar. Seems to give me the best of both worlds. But maybe that's just me.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Marotte Marauder

5"6" and 180 and in good shape? Doubt it unless you've got a ton of muscle on that frame. Your answer is simple, you're out of shape. Run a mile or 2 a couple of times a week and you'll come around.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
trtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
I've found that watering down gatorade works well for drinking in game. Still get some electrolytes but don't feel as weighed down by all that sugar. Seems to give me the best of both worlds. But maybe that's just me.
Same here - drink 50-50 water-Gatorade mix during games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
5"6" and 180 and in good shape? Doubt it unless you've got a ton of muscle on that frame. Your answer is simple, you're out of shape. Run a mile or 2 a couple of times a week and you'll come around.
Have to agree with this, you're not in good enough shape. But, also assume you play night games, like many of us. Grab an hour of sleep after work if you can. That will help some.

Also, do you know your position on the ice? Lots of rec leaguers do more skating than is necessary, too.

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:28 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Supplements. I'm 37 so I cannot just play ice hockey and then go home without feeling it the next day. Right now I'm mixing GNC Pro Performance Amplified Endurance Booster stacked with 2 scoops of EAS Creatine on my way to the rink. At 32 years of age let me welcome you to getting old. The young guys will tell you to drink chocolate milk, eat a banana, that's nice but it will do almost nothing for an aging body. I will agree with the poster that said you might be out of shape. I'm 6 feet 190 so I've got 6 inches on you and only 10 lbs of weight. You need to drop about 20lbs and if it's solid upper body muscle then you're too bulky.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
trtaylor

Good advice

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
ponder

Diet wise there's no need to do anything crazy, in general you should just be eating a normal, healthy diet (mostly meat and veggies, some carbs and dairy, and as little sugar/excess fat as possible), and don't eat anything more than snacks for a good 2+ hrs before your game. If you have a reasonably good diet already it really is most likely just poor cardio that's holding you back, hockey is an intense sport, it can tire anyone out fast, especially when playing with short benches (as is often the case in beer league). Jogging helps, but to best train for hockey it's better to do high intensity interval style training, sprint-walk-sprint-walk-sprint-walk etc. Suicides are great too, on ice preferably, but off ice too, basketball court style. And as mentioned, if you're 180 lbs at 5'6" you're likely carrying a decent amount of fat, focusing more on cardio will also burn off that fat thus so your legs won't have to work as hard to get your body moving on the ice.

As for weight training, make sure to really push yourself and always try to up your weight when doing squats, as they are definitely the best exercise for leg strength. Maybe try some higher rep, lower weight sets (like as much weight as you can handle for 3 sets of 10-12 reps), a lot of guys are fixated on 5-6 rep sets which IMO don't increase your endurance OR raw strength as quickly, especially since fewer reps = higher weight = worse form (for a lot of people).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:24 PM
russellmania79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
haha.... I'm not fat... I swear! I'm in pretty muscular, especially for my height and build. No six pack though. But I agree... I could probably afford to lose a few pounds. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm gonna try out some of the suggestions mentioned here and I'll let you know how it goes.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
SouthpawTRK

If you are leaving it all out on the ice, your legs should/will feel tired by the end of the game. Things you could do so that you are not so wiped out by the end of the game could be:

1. Keep your shifts short (45 seconds)
2. Hydrate
3. Proper warm up (before you hit the ice)
4. Off ice training

One of the players on our beer league team is a hockey trainer and runs a great program for off ice training that is very helpful and is hockey specific. If there is an off ice training class that you can take at your local rink, you might want to look into that.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:48 AM
shaynexbruin

Quote:
haha.... I'm not fat... I swear! I'm in pretty muscular, especially for my height and build. No six pack though. But I agree... I could probably afford to lose a few pounds. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm gonna try out some of the suggestions mentioned here and I'll let you know how it goes.
Have you ever had any blood sugar level issues? It my be worth downing a snickers right before the game and see if that helps.

shaynexbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynexbruin View Post
Have you ever had any blood sugar level issues? It my be worth downing a snickers right before the game and see if that helps.
It depends on your metabolism, but IF you think you have blood sugar level issues, something like a Snickers right before the is unlikely to be all that helpful. You might feel great for the first period due to the spike, but your sugar levels would probably crash before the game is over. Maybe a piece at a time would work, but there are better healthier sources of energy.

I'd look more towards a banana and periodic sips of gatorade to hydrate and provide carbs over the course of the game rather than all at once.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

High intensity cardio. Try HIIT, Plyometrics, things of that nature which will not only further strengthen your legs but also you shouldn't feel as tired while you're playing. The better shape you are with cardio, the less tired you'll feel near the end of the game anyway. Doing weight training for your legs is great for strength, but does very little for your endurance.

I do P90X's Plyo X workout once or twice a week (depending on if I have hockey that week). if I have no hockey at all during a week, I also try to do some HIIT. I'll do some regular cardio as well. Try doing some sort of cardio 2-3 times a week plus lifting. If you want, do your regular plain cardio after lifting. HIIT after lifting will be murder on your body.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:47 AM
adaptation

Add proteins to the mix. Most people tend to focus too much on the carbohydrates(gatorade, chocolate milk...). Although these can help, a handful of almonds or peanuts can really help you get through as well(a combination of nuts+Gatorade will definitely help you get through).

As for training, its really about amounts. Try mixing it up with high intensity training, then long stamina runs, then high intensity... throughout the week.

adaptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Fleuryoutside29

I'd just try staying hydrated better during the game and maybe getting some protein and carbs in-between periods. It should help a little at least.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:17 PM
rinkrat22

maybe try one of those gel packs that marathoners use. I've seen NHL players use them on the bench. I know gatorade just came out with one, I believe cliff bar makes them as does power bar. I'm 38 and I've been useing the gatorade ones and they seem to be working. I do have the normal tiredness at the end of a shift, but I feel strong still even after the game ends. btw my normal daily diet sucks, but thats why I spend so much time in the weight room so I can eat what I want.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 05:10 AM
biturbo19

there's a reason pro players in impeccable condition still take 30-60 second shifts.

elite conditioning is hard. it takes a huge time committment. more than a few short stints a few times a week. those guys dedicate their entire life to being in outstanding physical condition...and still very few can play half a game without massive fatigue setting in.

that's not to say you can't improve and make huge strides in that regards within a rec league where everyone else is in the same boat as you are. just providing a bit of an example.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 05:44 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

You should try growing bones. They typically prevent the feeling of jell-o.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote