HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Steps hit on Green; Stepan fined, no suspension

Old
02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Stepanformayor*

vCash: 500
Steps hit on Green; Stepan fined, no suspension

Will he get suspended for that hit? The cross check that was not called him by Green 10 sec earlier was more dangerous!! To me he was going into the corner protecting himself.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 02-26-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I think Stepan was taking position on Green. He might've thought Green was right beside him and thought he was going to use the body as well.

Seemed incidental.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If they suspend him, it'll be a disgrace to hockey. Which obviously means that the NHL will suspend him.

Man, today's NHL would have been suspending someone like Messier on a daily basis.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
clmetsfan

He might get hit with a fine, because that was a pretty blatant elbow, but definitely not a suspension.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:18 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Jordan Staal doesn't get suspended for a punch to the face. Eric Staal doesn't get suspended for Railroading his brother. This better not!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
He might get hit with a fine, because that was a pretty blatant elbow, but definitely not a suspension.
I didn't see the elbow hit him at all. Was all shoulder and arm.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:19 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
If they suspend him, it'll be a disgrace to hockey. Which obviously means that the NHL will suspend him.

Man, today's NHL would have been suspending someone like Messier on a daily basis.
You ever hear Leetch tell his story about his first on-ice experience meeting Messier? Funny as hell....lol

Rangers vs Edmonton, Messier is on his side, coming up the boards. Leetch is going to stand his ground, Mess is coming right at him. Leetch gets ready as they get close and Mess spears him in the gut, Ref misses it......ROFL.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I think Stepan was taking position on Green. He might've thought Green was right beside him and thought he was going to use the body as well.

Seemed incidental.
That's what I thought as well, but I'd like to see the replay again. It seemed like Step's back was to him and he put his shoulder into him to brace himself for the hit.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Stepanformayor*

Are you serious?...Suspended? I can't believe, after watching the replay, anyone would even question the hit. All he was doing is gaining position. Happens on every shift of every game. As someone already said, if they want to review anything they should be reviewing the crosscheck Step took 20 seconds earlier.
IMO that was Stepan"s best all around game of the year. He was physical, he scored, he made some nifty plays.
It was great to see such a young kid get knocked down, get p....d off, get back up and make a great pass for a goal.
Although the whole team played well last night it just seems to me that when D. Step plays well the whole team plays well.....MVP?

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:37 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I replayed the hit in super slo-mo on my DVR wasn't even close to an elbow. Even at regular speed Step almost comes to a complete stop, almost like a pick in BB, don't know what Green was looking at.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Blueblood 2

A guy cross checks you in the back and a few seconds later, there he his behind you again. Way to go Step is my opinion. That is hockey the way it should be played. On the ice and not in some NHL executive office! The Cap announcers made me ill!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Synergy27

The guys on NHL Network seemed to think the hit was suspension worthy and expect a fine at a minimum. I'm not going to bother trying to get into Coli's head though so I have no idea what he'll decide.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:49 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
A guy cross checks you in the back and a few seconds later, there he his behind you again. Way to go Step is my opinion. That is hockey the way it should be played. On the ice and not in some NHL executive office! The Cap announcers made me ill!
Exactly. He got hit from behind into the boards once, the second time he saw it coming and braced himself.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Mjollnir9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
The guys on NHL Network seemed to think the hit was suspension worthy and expect a fine at a minimum. I'm not going to bother trying to get into Coli's head though so I have no idea what he'll decide.
Yeah, but those guys seem to think that Green is a noble, peaceful guy out for a stroll, and was attacked by a remorseless thug... He got what he deserved. (cue Nelson from Simpsons): Ha-Ha

Mjollnir9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Wouldn't be surprised if he got a 1 or 2 game suspension. You can't hit someone in the face/head, especially if he has to leave the game, that makes matters worse.

Stepan got x-checked into the boards, yes, but he was alright, and that was deserving of a penalty, but he didn't receive a penalty on a dirtier play against Green (he didn't mean it but you are responsible for your actions).

It's a double standard. If Stepan left the game after being elbowed/shouldered in the face we would all be calling for Green's suspension. Be the correct fan, IMO.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

No news on any hearing so far. Brooks thought the hit is suspendable. So did Hradek. Stepan hit Green with his shoulder. Green just recovered from a concussion or whatever they called it. A puck hit Green in the ear a few weeks ago and he missed some time. First game back for Green. Suffers another "concussion". Let that be a lesson for Sather if he has any stupid ideas about trading for Brad Richards with his concussion.

Eric Staal got hit by Niskanen last night. Staal is not playing tonight. Canes says its not a concussion but it looked like a concussion. Karma.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

So what - you now have to know every single player on the ice's injury status? And give some preferential treatment? Green has to protect himself better if he is that fragile.

It was not a dirty play. He didn't get him with the elbow, and didn't target his head. It was incidental contact as both players were jockeying for position. If this gets suspended the little faith I have left in this league will evaporate.

02-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
So what - you now have to know every single player on the ice's injury status? And give some preferential treatment? Green has to protect himself better if he is that fragile.

It was not a dirty play. He didn't get him with the elbow, and didn't target his head. It was incidental contact as both players were jockeying for position. If this gets suspended the little faith I have left in this league will evaporate.
That's up to you to discredit the league or not, I'm pretty sure everyone has issues with the way the NHL run things anyway so that one opinion won't matter much to them.

It's a simple thing here: Never said it was a dirty play, and it doesn't matter that you're battling for the puck, hits to the head are frowned upon and that was a hit to the head. It doesn't matter if he used his knee, skate, stick, shoulder, elbow, or anything else. He hit him in the head and Green was forced to leave the game and probably is injured again. It very well could be suspended.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Sounding as if no suspension for Stepan, but no definitive word. Good for the kid, who is no headhunter, but reveals league as clueless.
5 minutes ago via web
https://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie/...42565597552640

Why is the league clueless?

Stepan is supposed to allow Green to crosscheck him into the boards again. Terrific

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
No news on any hearing so far. Brooks thought the hit is suspendable. So did Hradek. Stepan hit Green with his shoulder. Green just recovered from a concussion or whatever they called it. A puck hit Green in the ear a few weeks ago and he missed some time. First game back for Green. Suffers another "concussion". Let that be a lesson for Sather if he has any stupid ideas about trading for Brad Richards with his concussion.

Eric Staal got hit by Niskanen last night. Staal is not playing tonight. Canes says its not a concussion but it looked like a concussion. Karma.
Since Crosby, the pendulum has swung toward the meek, for sure. By the same token, if it is your first game back from a concussion, you shouldn't be cross checking from behind. He picked on the wrong guy and I love Stepan's reaction. Well worth a suspension if that's what this League has come to.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:07 AM
XLJ

I loved what Stepan did good for him. IMO Green boarding hit was just as dirty. I'm glad he is not getting suspended.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:08 AM
DrAStuart

Wouldn't be surprised to see both Green and Stepan get a fine...one for the cross-check and one for the retaliation...if the NHL is thinking about sending "messages" then that would be the best way to get the point across...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:11 AM
ecemleafs

Green put himself in a vulnerable position in a play that happens every game. it wasnt even stepans elbow that made contact with green.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:27 AM
broadwayblue

This whole thread is silly. Far worse happens on a regular basis without even fines being handed out and people think Steps might be suspended??? NO chance.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
This whole thread is silly. Far worse happens on a regular basis without even fines being handed out and people think Steps might be suspended??? NO chance.
Take the blinders off - Stepan's hit was dirty, just as Green's play second before was dirty.

Brooks is right - the NHL keeps saying its going to crack down on headshots, but when?

Stepan is not a dirty player, but that was a dirty play - caught Green square in the jaw and is the exact type of play the NHL keeps delivering lip service about.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote