HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Coachapalooza 1 1/2: The Smell of Fear (All BB Talk)

View Poll Results: Will Bruce be fired?
Yes 120 76.43%
No 37 23.57%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Coachapalooza 1 1/2: The Smell of Fear (All BB Talk)

First one.

Old
02-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Fire Ron Wilson!

Old
02-26-2011, 07:08 PM
The Viking Fury

Something revolving around Coachella woulda been a better title

Old
02-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50

Old
02-26-2011, 08:23 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Old
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Fallschirmyager

is spite of the team finally getting the wake up call, it's time for BB to go. If they can only bring that level of effort once in a while then the team needs someone else.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Today BB called a good timeout. Those were the right bleeping bleeps.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:37 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Don't post here much.

How you can't pin that win on BB is beyond me. Sure, he called a timeout, changed the lines and said a bunch of curse words. It worked. It could have failed and this thread would be up to at least three pages by now. He made the right move. Give him that. He won the game this time around.

Against a team we should have beat, he pulled us from an 0-2 hole in the second (in which most teams should have lost) and won. I credit him for that completely.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Capitlols

Not complaining, but I found it ironic in the post-game when BB bluntly said the effort was good enough against the 22-23 year olds of the Islanders, when obviously our team is incorporated with 22-23 year olds.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins View Post

Against a team we should have beat, he pulled us from an 0-2 hole in the second (in which most teams should have lost) and won. I credit him for that completely.
If this was the Blackhawks game last year where OV got thrown out and we came back to win, yes I'd give it to BB, but we beat the NY Islanders.

I know they're on somewhat of a roll right now, most of their players belong in the AHL

Old
02-26-2011, 11:37 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
If this was the Blackhawks game last year where OV got thrown out and we came back to win, yes I'd give it to BB, but we beat the NY Islanders.

I know they're on somewhat of a roll right now, most of their players belong in the AHL
Yes, we did beat the fabulous NY Islanders... of NY.

The fact of the matter remains is that we were down 0-2 with almost 1/2 the game in the books and we came back to win. We came back to win based on a timeout that Bruce Boudreau called. One where he changed the line combinations and "bleeped, bleep bleep".

Most teams will lose that game... against anybody... even the Maple Leafs.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Given the Caps playoff history it's a bit rich to be saying most teams would go on to lose being down by 2.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:17 AM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Given the Caps playoff history it's a bit rich to be saying most teams would go on to lose being down by 2.
What the Caps playoff history has to do with most teams losing when they are down by two is beyond me. This is still the regular season and most of the time, a team would lose this game. I don't see anything wrong with that statement.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:25 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

The Islanders always play us hard/close so there really isn't a coulda/woulda/shoulda against that team - it was impressive that we came back after being dominated for two periods with zero signs of hope.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Mickstix

Quote:
Yes, we did beat the fabulous NY Islanders... of NY.

We came back to win based on a timeout that Bruce Boudreau called. One where he changed the line combinations and "bleeped, bleep bleep"..
I dont believe the TO contributed to the comback nearly as much as him "finally" putting the right lines on the ice for an extended period.. If he'd just keep Ovi-Nicky-Semin together as well as Laich-Mojo-Knuble, I dont think the cries for his head would be nearly as loud.. (Due to the W column adding alot more than the L)

Old
02-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Don't post here much.

How you can't pin that win on BB is beyond me. Sure, he called a timeout, changed the lines and said a bunch of curse words. It worked. It could have failed and this thread would be up to at least three pages by now. He made the right move. Give him that. He won the game this time around.

If you are really going to give this win to BB. Do you also pin all the down falls on him? Or is that on the players?

Old
02-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Atlas

Surely we all know in our hearts that the Caps will not win the Stanley Cup under Boudreau. Even Ted and McPhee must realize this deep down. He's simply not as shrewd as many other NHL coaches. He relies on 99% emotion and 1% game plan/intelligence. He's a buffoon! Perhaps a loveable buffoon to some...but as for winning hockey games, living by emotion is a double-edged sword and now, most nights, the Caps emotions are rotten. They just can't conjure up a belief in a Power Play that plain as day is going nowhere.

Old
02-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Surely we all know in our hearts that the Caps will not win the Stanley Cup under Boudreau. Even Ted and McPhee must realize this deep down. He's simply not as shrewd as many other NHL coaches. He relies on 99% emotion and 1% game plan/intelligence. He's a buffoon! Perhaps a loveable buffoon to some...but as for winning hockey games, living by emotion is a double-edged sword and now, most nights, the Caps emotions are rotten. They just can't conjure up a belief in a Power Play that plain as day is going nowhere.
I dont think he is a bafoon....and I dont think I can agree with your ratio....that said....the rest is pretty accurate IMO

He really does seem to rely on emotion. The whole "just want it more" sort of tactic cant survive long in the NHL. When all players (both teams) "want it more" what seperates them is talent, and use of that talent. Putting players in positions to win, and the oppostion players ina position to lose (or at least making success more difficult)...in other words, coaching.

We saw last playoff that his tactic was "stick with it...it will go in". In short....he is putting it 100% on the players.

Ive said all season long that the playoffs are the only measure of success for this team. I can say with great ease that I have not been upset with any loss this season....because it doesnt matter. I will comment on coaching, players, etc...but I think people would be hard pressed to find me freaking out about a regular season loss

BB has the playoffs IMO. Anything short of the conference finals should bring questions about his job. Not making it out of the first round (or in the playoffs at all) should cost him his job

Old
02-27-2011, 08:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
a dose of reality. coaches that carry the kind of winning record thru the different levels or hockey are not buffoons. he's not an idiot nor is he a fool. if they dont win the cup with him as coach, thats really all it means. there are numerous outstanding coaches that havent won.

Old
02-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
a dose of reality. coaches that carry the kind of winning record thru the different levels or hockey are not buffoons. he's not an idiot nor is he a fool. if they dont win the cup with him as coach, thats really all it means. there are numerous outstanding coaches that havent won.
My only issue with success at different levels is, its just so different in the NHL. Where each team (more or less) has the best players in the world that they can possibly get. Its not a developmental league at all

his NHL record is starting to work against him IMO. A guy with that gawdy a regular season record and a sub .500 playoff record needs to figure out how to win in the spring, at the NHL level.

Old
02-27-2011, 08:37 AM
txpd

i am not saying that boudreau is a great coach. time will tell. but he is certainly as good a coach as terry murray and may well be as good as roger neilson. neither of these guys have cups. neither are buffoons either.

have the caps ever had a better coach? is ron wilson a better coach? bryan murray? terry murray? scheonfeld?

yea, the record may work against him. in the end he may fail. but to call him a buffoon or a joke is a joke of itself.

is he a great coach? i dont know. good coach? easily. so bad that he is an embarrassment? that doesnt have basis in reality

Old
02-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Mothra

Quote:
i am not saying that boudreau is a great coach. time will tell. but he is certainly as good a coach as terry murray and may well be as good as roger neilson. neither of these guys have cups. neither are buffoons either.

have the caps ever had a better coach? is ron wilson a better coach? bryan murray? terry murray? scheonfeld?

yea, the record may work against him. in the end he may fail. but to call him a buffoon or a joke is a joke of itself.

is he a great coach? i dont know. good coach? easily. so bad that he is an embarrassment? that doesnt have basis in reality
IMO BB has a lot more to prove before I can say he is on Terry Murray or Roger Neilson's level. To say he is certanly as good as either is premature I think. These guys have had levels of NHL success for a much longer period than BB

in short, no...he isnt on their level yet IMO

Old
02-27-2011, 09:31 AM
txpd

it takes time. boudreau hasnt had that lenth of tenure yet. like i said, time will tell.

Old
02-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Mothra

Quote:
it takes time. boudreau hasnt had that lenth of tenure yet. like i said, time will tell.
not to be too much a stickler....but it really sounded like you said he was as good as those two guys already, and that time will tell just how good he will end up.

maybe i just read it wrong

yes...time will tell. One thing that may work against him, and this is just me thnking is....I dont see him as an NHL assistant or scout. I could be dead wrong. I believe both Murray (and Neilson) have worked as assistant coaches on NHL staffs after losing head coaching jobs. Murray, if memory serves, was even scouting.

Not sure I see BB like that...but again, could be dead wrong, time will tell

Old
02-27-2011, 10:04 AM
txpd

i checked the record. boudreau needs to make the conference finals this season to have same record as tmurray in the playoff thru 4 seasons. murray had the advantage of a fully established team and his conference finals was in his first season and it was downhill from there.

lets see what happens. or not. they could just fire him now and trade off a couple of primary parts and start over.

sounds to me like mcphee is planning on success rather than having given in to the reality of already being in complete failure.

Closed Thread