HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Proposal Thread #7/ Rumor Thread(Both Oiler and Non-Oiler)

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Timo

vCash: 500
Official Proposal Thread #7/ Rumor Thread(Both Oiler and Non-Oiler)

Continue here.

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN....

Old
02-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
1st Page

Old
02-26-2011, 09:48 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
What happens if a thread goes more than a few posts over 1000? Does this place fold like a cheap lawn chair? We all know that the server the handles this sites traffic is pathetic, but what is with the arbitrary cut-off?

Old
02-26-2011, 09:50 PM
CSimpson18

@MinnesoteFats:

"Its a fair point. Dubnyk is 2 years older and has had much more development in the AHL. I wouldnt be so quick to write Bernier off. The Oilers have struggled to find a true #1 for a long time; Bernier is as good a bet as any.

I still think Steve needs to take nothing less than Schenn. Im just saying, that is the sort of deal I see coming out of these negotiations if they actually do reach a deal"

I wasn't writing Bernier off any more than I was writing Dubnyk off. In fact I'd bet money that Bernier has a much better career but my point stands, goalies are not worth giving up good assets for.

Agreed on second point, it's Schenn or bust.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
What happens if a thread goes more than a few posts over 1000? Does this place fold like a cheap lawn chair? We all know that the server the handles this sites traffic is pathetic, but what is with the arbitrary cut-off?
There is no arbitration. We have a three tier system here. Hope for the best and then call IT.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:52 PM
YoungGunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
A big NO to having a goalie as the centerpiece of any Hemsky return. Waste of assets, goalies are a dime a dozen and so unpredictable.

Dubnyk vs. Bernier:

Bernier: 18gp 7-8-3 .905SV% 2.68GAA
Dubnyk: 24gp 8-8-7 .910SV% 2.88GAA

Insignificant differences on vastly different teams. Why bother...
LA has significantly better defense he is putting up decent numbers being two years younger then Dubnyk. While I agree on preferably not getting a goalie as the center piece I was just thinking if schenn is not available we would take a combination of their best prospects.

I am personally liking the fact that Penner and Hemsky do not have to be traded and their value is high in a sellers market. It just strikes my mind that if they have high value now if you can get a return that greatly helps the future of the franchise such as a deal getting a young stud center and or defenseman (schenn if lombardi caves and Bogosian) or any good return you have to take it maybe even add to improve the quality of return.
Say we add slightly to get Schenn it seems more likely to draft Larsonn to fill two major holes on the team assuming Schenn fufills his potential and becomes a viable number one center in the next 2-5 years maybe more when our contending window will be at its greatest. Lots of what if's so it is entirely depedant on the prospect or player we get in return.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:53 PM
SDig14

For the person asking about Forbort, he has all the tools but he is a bit of a project right now. I would imagine he is probably 3 years away from the NHL, my guess being maybe one more year in College and 2 years in the AHL.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
@MinnesoteFats:

"Its a fair point. Dubnyk is 2 years older and has had much more development in the AHL. I wouldnt be so quick to write Bernier off. The Oilers have struggled to find a true #1 for a long time; Bernier is as good a bet as any.

I still think Steve needs to take nothing less than Schenn. Im just saying, that is the sort of deal I see coming out of these negotiations if they actually do reach a deal"

I wasn't writing Bernier off any more than I was writing Dubnyk off. In fact I'd bet money that Bernier has a much better career but my point stands, goalies are not worth giving up good assets for.

Agreed on second point, it's Schenn or bust.
I agree fully. That is the only player I take back. Results are almost unsellable because they sell themselves.

He brings a Cup with Hemsky. He has to top Vancouver. Richards isn't an option. He needs the effect now.

Stepan's hit was a hockey play? It was retaliation. Are you ****ing kidding me. That is the fundamental call in hockey.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
For the person asking about Forbort, he has all the tools but he is a bit of a project right now. I would imagine he is probably 3 years away from the NHL, my guess being maybe one more year in College and 2 years in the AHL.
Wasn't drawn back by a couple of viewings. Big defenders tend to be over-valued. Hockey sense should always come first.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:56 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Continue here.

no

we will go through one more thread

Old
02-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Herman72
Project Arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Continue here.

I lol'd.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:00 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Wasn't drawn back by a couple of viewings. Big defenders tend to be over-valued. Hockey sense should always come first.
Neither was I, but I researched him a lot last year and most services believe his decision making is one of his best qualities. Not to mention the fact that the kid is 6'4 and can skate very well. Those are very rare, so it's tough not to like him.

He needs time to grow, but I think he has a very big upside. He doesn't carry the puck much, but his first pass is supposed to be a big asset. I wonder if my viewings were him on his off-game, because he didn't live up to the descriptions.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
no

we will go through one more thread
What's the wager and the odds on that?

Old
02-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Paralyzer008

Looking at all of the rumors around the hockey world, Dustin Penner has been linked to the Habs and the Wild. Who do we want from those teams? I really don't know about the Habs, Wild I would want Burns but that looks impossible.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:06 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Something tells me there will be a thread #8. The good stuff hasn't even happened yet.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:06 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGunz View Post
I am personally liking the fact that Penner and Hemsky do not have to be traded and their value is high in a sellers market. It just strikes my mind that if they have high value now if you can get a return that greatly helps the future of the franchise such as a deal getting a young stud center and or defenseman (schenn if lombardi caves and Bogosian) or any good return you have to take it maybe even add to improve the quality of return.
Say we add slightly to get Schenn it seems more likely to draft Larsonn to fill two major holes on the team assuming Schenn fufills his potential and becomes a viable number one center in the next 2-5 years maybe more when our contending window will be at its greatest. Lots of what if's so it is entirely depedant on the prospect or player we get in return.
I agree that Tambi has to consider that Hemsky/Penners value will never be higher. I personally don't think both can be resigned even if they both agree to. We can't have 5 of our 6 highest paid players being wingers in a couple years, there has to be some salary moved to center and defense.

If we accept that one of them has to be moved I say either Hemsky for Schenn, Penner+ for Bogo or Penner for good prospect+first. Waiting til next year is an option but does not maximize return on our asset and could be considered mismanagement.

As for the Stepan hit on Greene, that was definitely a dirty hit that warranted a suspension. He got hit earlier and was pissed and chased Greene down. He knew exactly what he was doing. That's the exact type of hit that the head shots rule was created for. What a load of crap. 1 to 2 game suspension imo. Hockey play, pfft. Milbury's dumb.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:08 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Looking at all of the rumors around the hockey world, Dustin Penner has been linked to the Habs and the Wild. Who do we want from those teams? I really don't know about the Habs, Wild I would want Burns but that looks impossible.
I don't want anyone from either of them that they'd be willing to give up. 1st + Tinordi if I HAD to but that's still a pretty poopy return. Minny's prospect shelves are basically empty.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Neither was I, but I researched him a lot last year and most services believe his decision making is one of his best qualities. Not to mention the fact that the kid is 6'4 and can skate very well. Those are very rare, so it's tough not to like him.

He needs time to grow, but I think he has a very big upside. He doesn't carry the puck much, but his first pass is supposed to be a big asset. I wonder if my viewings were him on his off-game, because he didn't live up to the descriptions.
WOuld you say he has Ryan Whitney type of upside?

Old
02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
The Wild have no room for him. The Habs have Pacioretty.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Gusher

Sorry, I am out to lunch. Haha

Last edited by Gusher: 02-26-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old
02-26-2011, 10:17 PM
TaylorHallFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats
I still think Steve needs to take nothing less than Schenn. Im just saying, that is the sort of deal I see coming out of these negotiations if they actually do reach a deal
It will not happen.

I think you may be overvaluing the extra year on his contract.

Braden Schenn is a 5th overall selection that had a Eberle-esqe year. He is a sure fire prospect.

Would you trade Eberle for an injury prone player with one year left on his deal?

Look at when LA traded Cammelleri with a year left. They got 17th overall, and Cammy had a 80 point/34 goal season under his belt.

I imagine Lowebellini may be drinking the same kool aid will not pull the trigger and then Hemsky will get injured going into next years deadline and we will lose him ala MIN losing Gaborik.

Whatever the highest market value Tambellini can get - he should pull the trigger. If those are guys that aren't sure fire so be it. His value is likely at it's highest.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:

This is about Forbort right?

I agree. From my research it seems his IQ quite high and he has good decision making.

From another site(not HF):

Quote:

The thing that sticks out the most when you talk about Derek Forbort is his size. He is a big man for his age coming in at 6í5 200 and what makes him so highly regarded is how well he moves for his size. Heís not going to blaze by anyone, but he has good foot speed and great all-around mobility for a defender with his build. In his own zone, Forbort plays a very simple, effective defensive game with no glaring weakness other than handling the highest-end of speedy forwards, which is normal for a man his size to have to adjust to. He uses his strength to push players off and his long reach to interfere with plays while making smart, easy decisions with the puck bringing it out of his own end. His offensive upside is most likely limited to a third defenseman, with a slightly higher ceiling, he has some decent offensive instincts which he displays mostly on the powerplay, itís not high-end enough nor does he have the natural puck abilities to be a top point producer at D but he does have a good, hard shot at the point which teams could choose to utilize. His natural skills could help him land on a teamís first pairing to be that imposing force on the backend.
He's a project, but if he gets there, watch out.

He's another 3-4 seasons from the NHL. 2 in college and 2 in the AHL imo.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:19 PM
YoungGunz

Quote:
I agree that Tambi has to consider that Hemsky/Penners value will never be higher. I personally don't think both can be resigned even if they both agree to. We can't have 5 of our 6 highest paid players being wingers in a couple years, there has to be some salary moved to center and defense.

If we accept that one of them has to be moved I say either Hemsky for Schenn, Penner+ for Bogo or Penner for good prospect+first. Waiting til next year is an option but does not maximize return on our asset and could be considered mismanagement.

As for the Stepan hit on Greene, that was definitely a dirty hit that warranted a suspension. He got hit earlier and was pissed and chased Greene down. He knew exactly what he was doing. That's the exact type of hit that the head shots rule was created for. What a load of crap. 1 to 2 game suspension imo. Hockey play, pfft. Milbury's dumb.
Exactly with the value high on both we have a major possibility to land some players who will fill voids in the organization when all of the big 3's contracts come up we will be in a chicago type situation minus already winning the cup most likely (one can dream). It is improbable for both to resign at rates that will allow us to give the youth on the team raises by however much is deemed when contracts come up. So Tambo should imo do whatever possible to acquire assets that will help in the future preferably more of the cant miss prospects/young nhl players that may very well fill holes.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Jmask83

Wow thread #7, that's a lot for a team that may end up not making a single trade. Most definitely a record.

Most trade related threads, for a last place team on HFboards.

Old
02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Tazzy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
From Minny...Nick Leddy and Colton Gillies would be ok players as part of a package.
Thought Leddy played for Chicago.

I'm having a bad day though. Been brutally wrong twice today on this site

Closed Thread