HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres going after Richards or Stastny

Old
02-26-2011, 11:52 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacard View Post
My guess is Enroth and Kassian would be the starting point -- Colorado needs a goalie, and needs a winger. That is comparable to the rumoured Jack Johnson and Bernier package from L.A., although obviously not quite as good. I think a fair deal would be Stastny, Hunwick [or possibly Liles], and a pick [depending on whether it's Hunwick or Liles] for Enroth, Kassian, and the 1st.
My one contention with trading Stastny, is that we really don't need to do it. Kassian and Enroth are really intriguing, but that's a total of 7 games of NHL experience coming to the Avs. I understand dealing for the future, but Stastny is part of the future for us. If Stastny is going one way, we'd want a current NHL that could slot into a role where we need a lot of help.
Now, if there were character issues, or a locker room divide, or anything like that, it'd be prudent to send Stastny out for a combination of prospects/rookies/picks, etc. But as our situation is currently, there's just not enough of a reason to trade Stastny. Don't get me wrong, a return of Kassian, Enroth, and a 1st would be awesome. I'm a fan of Enroth, I think he's going to be a bit of a surprise when he hits his peak, and Kassian seems to be a really exciting prospect that's ready for the NHL, but at the moment, I think Colorado stands pat. There's no incentive right now.
For a fair comparison, if we offered Hishon, Pickard, and a 1st for Miller, it wouldn't be accepted, even if the value was intriguing. You don't need to trade Miller, and if you did, you'd need a guy that could suit up next game and make you forget about who you just traded. Like, for example, Stastny.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
My one contention with trading Stastny, is that we really don't need to do it. Kassian and Enroth are really intriguing, but that's a total of 7 games of NHL experience coming to the Avs. I understand dealing for the future, but Stastny is part of the future for us. If Stastny is going one way, we'd want a current NHL that could slot into a role where we need a lot of help.
Now, if there were character issues, or a locker room divide, or anything like that, it'd be prudent to send Stastny out for a combination of prospects/rookies/picks, etc. But as our situation is currently, there's just not enough of a reason to trade Stastny. Don't get me wrong, a return of Kassian, Enroth, and a 1st would be awesome. I'm a fan of Enroth, I think he's going to be a bit of a surprise when he hits his peak, and Kassian seems to be a really exciting prospect that's ready for the NHL, but at the moment, I think Colorado stands pat. There's no incentive right now.
For a fair comparison, if we offered Hishon, Pickard, and a 1st for Miller, it wouldn't be accepted, even if the value was intriguing. You don't need to trade Miller, and if you did, you'd need a guy that could suit up next game and make you forget about who you just traded. Like, for example, Stastny.
What about Staff and Sekera going back?? I don't know if you watched the Sabres game today but Sekera is an excellent offensive D man when he has the confidence. Lindy has really played head games with Sekera and he got use a change of scenery. Look at what he did with the Slovakia national team.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:57 PM
seacard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
What's comparable about this and the LA rumor? I see nothing except a goaltender. There is no top pairing D man, there is no solid 2 center, and the quality of the goalie is much less.
The comparable part is that the Avs are getting a goalie, and a player in a position of need. My understading is that the LA rumor was actually something that was discuss prior to EJ deal. Today, I think RW is a much greater need than D. And while there is no Stoll coming back, notice that (a) the Avs are getting a 1st round pick (likely around 13 or so) and (b) the Avs are not giving up Galiardi, as they were in the other deal.

I could be wrong -- there may need to be another piece -- but I think this is at least something that the Avs should think about exploring.

seacard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
The comparable part is that the Avs are getting a goalie, and a player in a position of need. My understading is that the LA rumor was actually something that was discuss prior to EJ deal. Today, I think RW is a much greater need than D. And while there is no Stoll coming back, notice that (a) the Avs are getting a 1st round pick (likely around 13 or so) and (b) the Avs are not giving up Galiardi, as they were in the other deal.

I could be wrong -- there may need to be another piece -- but I think this is at least something that the Avs should think about exploring.
We're building up the middle and could care less about wingers. Wingers are so much easier to develop and bring in than defensemen are, and that's the only reason for the rumors. Positions aside, the value doesn't come anywhere near the LA rumor. Jack Johnson is worth more than the whole package, by miles.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:04 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
I agree with the comparison as to value to each team. It is a matter of what the club that currently has that player values them at. Beyond just what the return is, it is, as you said, what type of role that player fits on the team.

I will say this, it's the trade deadline, and the price for those really core components go up substaintally. I couldn't even fathom the price of Stastny given the legnth of contract, age and talent. The same can be said for Miller as well. And other core players from other teams.

I wouldn't put it past this new Sabres owner though, that's the key to us Sabres fans. We have learned alot about him.
I can see a splash coming for sure, will it be at the deadline? I don't know, could be the off season, but this guy is different than the last 2 owners. The last time I saw this in Buffalo was in the mid 70's when Knox really cared about the team.

It just feels different is all here in Buffalo. First time in a long time.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:12 AM
seacard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
We're building up the middle and could care less about wingers. Wingers are so much easier to develop and bring in than defensemen are, and that's the only reason for the rumors. Positions aside, the value doesn't come anywhere near the LA rumor. Jack Johnson is worth more than the whole package, by miles.
I think you're right. It's just that after seeing all these Leafs rumors and proposals (the latest one is Reimer + Komisarek for Stastny + Liles + prospect), anything even somewhat respectible sounds pretty good. I think Buffalo is a good trading partner because they need a guy like Stazz and a guy like Liles, and may be willing to overpay. Would you give up Liles + Stastny for Enroth + Myers + Kassian + 1st? That seems to me like a pretty good deal for the Avs.

Personally, I don't think the Avs should trade Stastny. The lineup looks decent for next year (although I am a bit nervous about the wings because Duke, Mueller, and Flash are such question marks), and I with Hishon coming up soon, and three early picks this year (our 1st and 2nd, and St. Louis's), the team is in good position.

seacard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
I think you're right. It's just that after seeing all these Leafs rumors and proposals (the latest one is Reimer + Komisarek for Stastny + Liles + prospect), anything even somewhat respectible sounds pretty good. I think Buffalo is a good trading partner because they need a guy like Stazz and a guy like Liles, and may be willing to overpay. Would you give up Liles + Stastny for Enroth + Myers + Kassian + 1st? That seems to me like a pretty good deal for the Avs.

Personally, I don't think the Avs should trade Stastny. The lineup looks decent for next year (although I am a bit nervous about the wings because Duke, Mueller, and Flash are such question marks), and I with Hishon coming up soon, and three early picks this year (our 1st and 2nd, and St. Louis's), the team is in good position.
I'd look at dealing him for something around Myers. The extras don't matter much to me on either side, it's just if we deal a main piece, we should be looking for another equally vital piece.

Old
02-27-2011, 12:19 AM
TheStranger

I would have a hard time not pulling the trigger on that deal involving Myers.

Johnson - Myers

Avs no longer worry about defense for the next 15 years.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
I would have a hard time not pulling the trigger on that deal involving Myers.

Johnson - Myers

Avs no longer worry about defense for the next 15 years.
That is until they're on the golf course early in the summer and someone lets Johnson drive again.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellBetterBeGOD View Post
That is until they're on the golf course early in the summer and someone lets Johnson drive again.
Haha then the rule is myers can't drive with johnson

Old
02-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see Stastny dealt unless Myers is going the other way. I think the Sabres have other interesting assets but the Av's I don't think are going to trade their best player unless a potential equal franchise type is in return. Same as T.O wouldn't get him without Schenn.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Zaphod

Trading Stastny would be cutting the head off of the rebuild already in process to double-back and start again... and would represent a much more drastic shift in the locker room and composition of that team than moving a guy like Stewart did. I can't really fathom it. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen... but I can only imagine it'd be a sock to the gut of a fanbase that's already feeling a little betrayed by the post-lockout Avs.

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:10 AM
viach

Quote:
Would you give up Liles + Stastny for Enroth + Myers + Kassian + 1st?
That seems to me like a pretty good deal for the Avs.

As a avs fan I sign now

viach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:30 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by viach View Post

As a avs fan I sign now
As a Sabres fan, do not want.

I don't think Myers would be even remotely available for a trade like that.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Tra La La

Stastny yes. Richards no. (Contract + Health)

Stastny + Liles for picks and prospects is what I'd like to see. But The avs negative cap situation quashes it.

The Sabres would need to move about 8 million dollars. (Connolly + Hecht? ) And picks and prospects.

Then again they would need to add another center.( Connolly and Hecht currently 1-2 centers)

Last edited by Tra La La: 02-27-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
The proposals for Stastny needs to stop. There is no reason to assume Stastny is more available than Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:10 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
For me, something based around Enroth and Kassian gets a deal done.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
For me, something based around Enroth and Kassian gets a deal done.
Kassian won't be moved and neither will Tyler Myers.

There have been multiple threads on in here recently. Closest one that I liked was something like Stafford, Enroth, one of Butler/Sekera/Weber and a 1st round pick for Budaj and Stastny. If Av's fans don't like it then maybe they could involve Ennis somewhere but Myers will never be involved I can almost guarantee it.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 07:34 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Kassian won't be moved and neither will Tyler Myers.

There have been multiple threads on in here recently. Closest one that I liked was something like Stafford, Enroth, one of Butler/Sekera/Weber and a 1st round pick for Budaj and Stastny. If Av's fans don't like it then maybe they could involve Ennis somewhere but Myers will never be involved I can almost guarantee it.
Why won't Kassian be moved?

Has management or anyone actually stated that as a fact?

As an Av fan nobody expected someone like Chris Stewart to be moved, but he was.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:06 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

First, Sabres ownership has come right out and said, there is a short list of safe players. For me, that short list consists of 1 player....Myers. He just won't be dealt. He's going to be a consistent top 3 defensivman for years, and he's 6'7"! Once the 21 year old puts on some manly muscle, he's literally going to be a beast, and he's a much more fluid skater than let's say Pronger. Myers WILL NOT be traded for anyone.

As for Kassain, we've been drooling over him since we drafted him, as he's a big, bad kid, filling a super need we've had on the Sabres for years, that's a capable top 6 player with a mean streak. BUT....if a deal for a top center comes, one who's in his prime, then all bets are off. I can't tell you what type of package will land Stansy from Buffalo but I wouldn't be surprised with anything.

I, like many other Sabres fans, see Pegula (new owner) wanting to make a splash, the right splash, and bringing in a top center in his prime fits the bill. Avs would be nuts to trade him but if a package of Sekera, Kassain, Enroth, Ennis, 1st and lets say Gausted for Liles and Stansy...I think the Avs are thinking hard.

Sekera is a young offensive dman, who has his lapses but there are many games where he is one of the top players on the ice. He's going to be a real solid guy, and shows it if you watch the Sabres....cheap too.

Kassain is what every team wants/needs. Still under 20 but big and has a mean streak. Was one of the best Canadians on the ice in the WJC.

Enroth...top goalie prospect.

Ennis...you just have to watch him. The kids got moves, the puck sticks to his stick, very slick, very elusive. Rookie.

Gausted....some salary has to be going back, and a center back would help. Good role player for pk, faceoffs and sticking up for teamates.

That's the return it would take.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
I, like many other Sabres fans, see Pegula (new owner) wanting to make a splash, the right splash, and bringing in a top center in his prime fits the bill. Avs would be nuts to trade him but if a package of Sekera, Kassain, Enroth, Ennis, 1st and lets say Gausted for Liles and Stansy...I think the Avs are thinking hard.
Well no kidding, that's basically the Eric Lindros package.

Better to wait for July 1st and go balls out for Brad Richards services for the next 7 years.

Reddawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:46 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by siKmoNStir View Post
We'll give you Ennis instead of Kassian.
I don't get this post at all

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Tra La La

Cap-Cap floor and all, I think it would need to be. (Along the lines of)

Sekera
Connolly
Hecht
Enroth
Adam
Buffalo's 1st in 2011

For
Liles
Stastny

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:56 AM
CaptPantalones

I absolutely see them trying to land Stastny, but not a chance Richards waives to come here

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
I absolutely see them trying to land Stastny, but not a chance Richards waives to come here
Same here. Even if Richards did waive it, he would end up pulling a Drury 2.0 on July 1st anyways. That Guy is totally a Ranger.

I hope that we don't try to sound like were hockey heaven too early. Giving up the package to get Richards just to see him walk would be a disaster.

Last edited by S319R11S16: 02-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.
S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote