HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres going after Richards or Stastny

Old
02-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Roy's career PPG: .8166
Stastny's career PPG: .9371

That's a pretty damn big difference if you ask me.

And how can you say that his potential is "reached" already?

And for the record, he just turned 25....
Stastny being much better at handling physical play and being a much better faceoff guy are even more important factors in separating Stastny from Roy than differences in their offensive game is.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:20 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Stastny will regress if he doesn't have decent wingers to play with next year. If no Mueller, no Flash, he's gonna have Porter, Jones, Stoa, and Hejduk if he doesn't retire. With the exception of Hejduk, Stastny will not benefit playing with those wingers to get his point production up, instead he'll go from 70-75 points to about 60-65.
Uhhh, not sure if you watch the team or not, but for the majority of the season Stastny's been paired with the left over wingers. There seems to be some huge misconception that Stastny is playing with talented wingers and still not putting up PPG, instead the reality is that Duchene has been coddled and protected this season as he has consistently played with the much better wingers. Stastny started the season on fire with Stewart, but Stewart went down and he has since played with the likes of Porter, Yip, and Jones every now and again.

Duchene has been the player that played with Mueller, he has played most of the season with Hejduk and Fleischmann was exclusively on his line. Heck, whenever there were injuries Jones would be on Dutch's line before Stastny.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:29 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Just a question Col fans....a couple of you have mentioned either Myers/Miller must be included.

So what do you think of Miller for Stansy?

As of right now, Miller is the face of our franchise, and after the Olympics, the face of American hockey. We all know he's good and as goalies go, just entering his prime.

So?
I would do it in a split second. But I doubt Buffalo would, so it's moot.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:38 PM
the_fan

Miller for Stastny?

Done,Done and Done

Avs will have 3 top players for each position that you need to build a team around.

Duchene

E.Johnson

Miller

#2 center should not be very hard to find, maybe Hishon who is playing great in the OHL will be the guy who takes over the #2 center job in the future.

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Leo W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Just a question Col fans....a couple of you have mentioned either Myers/Miller must be included.

So what do you think of Miller for Stansy?

As of right now, Miller is the face of our franchise, and after the Olympics, the face of American hockey. We all know he's good and as goalies go, just entering his prime.

So?

You're a Sabres fan? How exactly does this help us at all?

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:25 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Oh Please, we control our own destiny.
He is a Hab fan, probably thinks that his team is a Cup contender Do not mind him.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
I don't think there is a team in the league who couldn't use Kassian or Ennis. Enroth is also going to be good whenever he gets a solid shot at it. Not saying any of them will be traded...but Buffalo definitely has assets to acquire a guy like Richards or Stastny. And I don't think anyone can argue that. Pegula gave Regier the green light to build a winning team. Gettin' exciting.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
I agree that there is no reason for Colorado to trade him, but Myers value >>> Statsny. It's not a comment on their abilities or their personality or the color of their hair or anything, but it's the simple fact that a potential cornerstone franchise defenseman has greater value than a potential franchise center.
How do you figure that a potential franchise defenseman is worth a lot more than a "potential" franchise center? Please back that up.

I'd argue it's the exact opposite. I think most would agree that EJ>Myers, and there is a reason the Blues got Stewart and not Stastny. That reason wasn't that the Blues didn't need a #1 center. You might argue that it's different because the Blues had two potential franchise defensemen. However, by the same token, the Avs have 2 #1 centers. Nonetheless, St. Louis picked up Stewart and not Stastny.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Just my opinion but I think there is some behind the scenes stuff going on with Stastny. I don't think his father would come out and say that if Paul didn't come to his father to vent a little. Everyone knows that a father's word will also be the biggest when it comes to their kids. I just don't see Stastny being put in rumors by some big sources just randomly. It's not like you see Zetterberg, Sedin, Nash, Staal in these rumors. There has to be some basis of these rumors.

Myers and Stastny are two different leagues to. Myers is a Calder trophy winner who has size that you can't teach who is 20 years old. His skating is like no other and has unlimited potential.

Stastny is 26 and on a big contract. His potential is reached and that is around a 75 point center.

Sorry but Myers is in a whole another league in regards to Stastny. He isn't much different than Roy but Roy is on a much nicer contract.
Peter Stastny doesn't have a reputation as a blow hard. I mean how often do you see quotes from him in the media. It's my opinion that he knew exactly what he was doing. Trade rumors had surfaced around Paul before the All Star Break. Obviously those hurt a player's legacy. By Peter stepping up with that ridiculous quote, it makes it seem like Paul was being shopped because of off-ice issues with the team, and not simply because he was expendable for the right price. That said, I have no solid evidence for my opinion. I just think that a man with all the experience (hockey and life) that Peter Stastny has doesn't make a big gaff like that.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Leo W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
How do you figure that a potential franchise defenseman is worth a lot more than a "potential" franchise center? Please back that up.

I'd argue it's the exact opposite. I think most would agree that EJ>Myers, and there is a reason the Blues got Stewart and not Stastny. That reason wasn't that the Blues didn't need a #1 center. You might argue that it's different because the Blues had two potential franchise defensemen. However, by the same token, the Avs have 2 #1 centers. Nonetheless, St. Louis picked up Stewart and not Stastny.
Because St. Louis wanted a defenseman to fill the hole that EJ left with Shattenkirk instead of simply picking up 1 high potential center they got a quality forward and a good defensive prospect. Fill 2 holes instead of 1.

*edit* And EJ is NOT better than Myers.

Last edited by Leo W: 02-27-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old
02-27-2011, 03:41 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:

EJ is not better then Myers point blank period. Still has yet to outproduce Myers and is he even Pking yet ?

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:47 PM
SEALBound

With the price tag on Richards I don't understand how giving up those pieces and adding Richards would make LA or the Rangers a better playoff team...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Because St. Louis wanted a defenseman to fill the hole that EJ left with Shattenkirk instead of simply picking up 1 high potential center they got a quality forward and a good defensive prospect. Fill 2 holes instead of 1.

*edit* And EJ is NOT better than Myers.
Sorry, but I'm not buying it. If Stastny was available to them, I'm sure they would have taken him over the two of those. Go ask the Blues fans if you don't believe me. Mind you, the Avs also picked up a solid shutdown C and moved up in the draft with Shatty going the other way.

Old
02-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Crisp Breakout

As for me saying that most would say EJ>Myers here you go:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=802922

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=803744

Old
02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
The Sabres new owner is the 3rd richest in sports, money won't be an issue.
So now all NE teams spend to the cap?
(Ottawa did but not right now)

The only way Pegula's riches can affect the team (once they spend to the cap) is bidding for coaches/GMs/scouts and various support staff.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:06 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
So now all NE teams spend to the cap?
(Ottawa did but not right now)

The only way Pegula's riches can affect the team (once they spend to the cap) is bidding for coaches/GMs/scouts and various support staff.
Ok, and your point is?

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Buffalo rumors seem pretty exaggerated to me, if anything I could see them being the sellers of a big name (Vanek) before they made a splash with a big-ticket acquisition.

02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
As for me saying that most would say EJ>Myers here you go:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=802922

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=803744
First, let me just mention that's from July. Second, if you read the comments, about half of the people who voted said that it could go either way.

I'd take Myers over EJ for a variety of reasons, the biggest being injury history. EJ plays a tough game, but he has had some fluke injuries that could lead to further injuries.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:08 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Buffalo rumors seem pretty exaggerated to me, if anything I could see them being the sellers of a big name (Vanek) before they made a splash with a big-ticket acquisition.
This is what I'm hoping for. Connolly, Montador, Neids, Grier, and Vanek shipped out. Nothing against Vanek, but if the return is Schenn + Simmonds, I'd think long and hard about it.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
EJ is not better then Myers point blank period. Still has yet to outproduce Myers and is he even Pking yet ?
Johnson averaged 2:29 PK time per game on St. Louis this year.

4th highest on team, 3rd highest for Dman. (McClement was the forward in the top 4 coincidentally).

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
First, let me just mention that's from July. Second, if you read the comments, about half of the people who voted said that it could go either way.

I'd take Myers over EJ for a variety of reasons, the biggest being injury history. EJ plays a tough game, but he has had some fluke injuries that could lead to further injuries.
I'll backtrack and say they're very comparable. This still makes my previous post on the value of center vs. dman good.

Old
02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

The Sabres should be going after Pat Kane. The Hawks have 47M invested in 9 players going into next year and desperately need both cap space and depth. The Sabres have both depth and cap space, as well as a new owner trying to make a big impression and a GM trying to keep his job. Kane is a hero in Buffalo and if the Hawks had to unload a star player it would be to the Eastern Conference. And the Sabres have said they want guys with years left on their contract.

Ennis, Stafford, Sekera, 1st in 2012?

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Leo W

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
The Sabres should be going after Pat Kane. The Hawks have 47M invested in 9 players going into next year and desperately need both cap space and depth. The Sabres have both depth and cap space, as well as a new owner trying to make a big impression and a GM trying to keep his job. Kane is a hero in Buffalo and if the Hawks had to unload a star player it would be to the Eastern Conference. And the Sabres have said they want guys with years left on their contract.

Ennis, Stafford, Sekera, 1st in 2012?

Personally I'd rather not have that punk on the Sabres, I don't care if he's from here.

Old
02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Johnson averaged 2:29 PK time per game on St. Louis this year.

4th highest on team, 3rd highest for Dman. (McClement was the forward in the top 4 coincidentally).
Well, Myers has averaged over 22 minutes a game so far, won the Calder trophy, picked himself up out of a sophmore slump and turned it around just before mid season, has better numbers than Chara in his first 3 NHL seasons, is most likely a Norris candidate for years as he hits his prime around 24/25 (which is still over 3 years away), smooth skater, is beginning to gain the weight to use his massive size effectively and is sure to be one of the top 2 premiere defensemen in the league for years to come as he matures.

Looks like a whole lot of potential mixed in with some already outstanding performances by the kid.
I think it's safe to say that Myers ceiling is much higher than Johnson's right now. That could change as time goes on however, we'll have to watch both careers unfold and enjoy watching the game while we do it.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Personally I'd rather not have that punk on the Sabres, I don't care if he's from here.
agreed...kid needs to get his nose clean...fast.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote