HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sabres going after Richards or Stastny

Old
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Buffalo could offer $11 Million to free agents and it wouldn't matter.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Reddawg

vCash: 500
I'd be happy with whatever went out the door to bring Patrick Kane in...would love to see him playing in Buffalo. If the price was Myers for Kane straight up, I would absolutely do it.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I'd be happy with whatever went out the door to bring Patrick Kane in...would love to see him playing in Buffalo. If the price was Myers for Kane straight up, I would absolutely do it.
A top flight winger is worth less than a potential Norris winner IMO.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
A top flight winger is worth less than a potential Norris winner IMO.
I mean, I like Myers and see his potential, but I don't value him the same way most Sabres' fans do...I think he'll be a very good defenseman but I don't see him as the second coming of Pronger/Niedermayer/Orr, etc the way a lot of folks do. Good defenseman, but not necessarily a franchise defenseman.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Well, Myers has averaged over 22 minutes a game so far, won the Calder trophy, picked himself up out of a sophmore slump and turned it around just before mid season, has better numbers than Chara in his first 3 NHL seasons, is most likely a Norris candidate for years as he hits his prime around 24/25 (which is still over 3 years away), smooth skater, is beginning to gain the weight to use his massive size effectively and is sure to be one of the top 2 premiere defensemen in the league for years to come as he matures.

Looks like a whole lot of potential mixed in with some already outstanding performances by the kid.
I think it's safe to say that Myers ceiling is much higher than Johnson's right now. That could change as time goes on however, we'll have to watch both careers unfold and enjoy watching the game while we do it.
Hey dude, no need to get defensive. All I did was respond to the guy who asked if EJ was getting PK time.

I'm not so sure Myers ceiling is "much" higher than EJ's, if at all. EJ if he reaches his ceiling is a top 5 dman in this league. Thats of course IF he reaches his ceiling.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
That would be absolutely terrible for the Sabres. If Kane wasn't from Buffalo, you wouldn't even entertain the idea. The Sabres don't need wingers, especially at the price of our potential kingpin defenseman.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
I mean, I like Myers and see his potential, but I don't value him the same way most Sabres' fans do...I think he'll be a very good defenseman but I don't see him as the second coming of Pronger/Niedermayer/Orr, etc the way a lot of folks do. Good defenseman, but not necessarily a franchise defenseman.
Well I suppose that's where our opinions differ, I don't see him as the next coming of any of those guys either, but having a great #1 defenseman for many years down the road is more important to me than a top line forward with MAJOR attitude problems.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Hey dude, no need to get defensive. All I did was respond to the guy who asked if EJ was getting PK time.

I'm not so sure Myers ceiling is "much" higher than EJ's, if at all. EJ if he reaches his ceiling is a top 5 dman in this league. Thats of course IF he reaches his ceiling.
I'm not getting defensive PTG, just pointing out what I've seen from the kid so far and looking at the potential. Johnson can be a very good defenseman in his own right, and as I stated, a whole lot of potential mixed in there as well.

Like I said, let's just enjoy watching them play the game.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Rowley Birkin

Personally I would trade Ennis, Stafford and the 1st for Kane..... but the team have a far greater need at C. And Stastny has been rumoured to be on the move so this is why there have been 3 or 4 different threads on it.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
This is what I'm hoping for. Connolly, Montador, Neids, Grier, and Vanek shipped out. Nothing against Vanek, but if the return is Schenn + Simmonds, I'd think long and hard about it.
I don't think Simmonds is getting moved, RFA status plus four more years until UFA eligible means that he will sign for reasonable terms. He likes L.A., L.A. likes him. Not only is he a guy who can play literally all over the lineup, he's a fairly tough middleweight, he's a clutch player, an energy guy and a very marketable man for the franchise. He's been as prominent as literally any King in their campaigns. He is not getting traded, those rumors are the murmurs of lazy minds.

Schenn for Vanek I'd say outside chance, Vanek fits the bill for what the Kings lack even if he is not a neat fit for their system in some regards. The guys he would be replacing were not ideal in that sense either and they never had a 40-goal campaign behind with elite sniping skills.

02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
That would be absolutely terrible for the Sabres. If Kane wasn't from Buffalo, you wouldn't even entertain the idea. The Sabres don't need wingers, especially at the price of our potential kingpin defenseman.
Again, I'm probably the only Sabres fan in the world who doesn't rate Myers that high. He's going to be a good player but I see his career peak as being on a par with a less physical Zdeno Chara...and I'd absolutely trade Chara for Kane or Toews straight up because they represent more of what Buffalo needs to succeed than Myers does by himself.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
I don't think Simmonds is getting moved, RFA status plus four more years until UFA eligible means that he will sign for reasonable terms. He likes L.A., L.A. likes him. Not only is he a guy who can play literally all over the lineup, he's a fairly tough middleweight, he's a clutch player, an energy guy and a very marketable man for the franchise. He's been as prominent as literally any King in their campaigns. He is not getting traded, those rumors are the murmurs of lazy minds.

Schenn for Vanek I'd say outside chance, Vanek fits the bill for what the Kings lack even if he is not a neat fit for their system in some regards. The guys he would be replacing were not ideal in that sense either and they never had a 40-goal campaign behind with elite sniping skills.
Kings are a team I follow and cheer for heavily because of my personal ties with them, and maybe I'm reading wrong but are you really saying you wouldn't take Schenn for Vanek?

Old
02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
You seem mad bro.

A player at the height of their career is not going to sign in Buffalo over the alternatives. Take it from someone who lives a short drive away and is around the same age as most 1st/2nd year UFAs. Buffalo is one of the most depressing major cities in the United States. It's right up there with Detroit except Buffalo literally has no down town district. Good luck attracting 28 year olds to that.
You can make your own fun with professional sports money.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
i most certainly wouldnt give up any of those packages/players for Kane..i dont want that little punk near HSBC...i dont care if he is from BUffalo.

he's had the 'flu' 5 times this year...sniff, sniff

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Kings are a team I follow and cheer for heavily because of my personal ties with them, and maybe I'm reading wrong but are you really saying you wouldn't take Schenn for Vanek?

I wouldn't, and I think very highly of Schenn. If Vanek is going to the Kings Schenn,a 1st,Hickey and Moller.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I wouldn't, and I think very highly of Schenn. If Vanek is going to the Kings Schenn,a 1st,Hickey and Moller.
I was responding to a Kings fan, I know Sabres fans wouldn't.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Not going to say I wouldn't take that for Vanek, but Lombardi wouldn't give that much up, no chance.

Old
02-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Moskau

Quote:
You can make your own fun with professional sports money.
It doesn't matter with the personalities of today's generation.

If Mike Richards was allowed to hit UFA status and only Buffalo could offer $9 Million a year but Los Angeles could offer the 2nd highest amount at $8 Million a year where do you think he would go?

Old
02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Dixon

Quote:

If Mike Richards was allowed to hit UFA status and only Buffalo could offer $9 Million a year but Los Angeles could offer the 2nd highest amount at $8 Million a year where do you think he would go?
The Sabres will have options and will be able to build through free agency.

Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:36 PM
HawkeyLife2007

Quote:
Well I suppose that's where our opinions differ, I don't see him as the next coming of any of those guys either, but having a great #1 defenseman for many years down the road is more important to me than a top line forward with MAJOR attitude problems.

HawkeyLife2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyLife2007 View Post
Yes? Ask kids Pat Kane's age in South Buffalo what they think of him.

Old
02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
He's 20, he's won the Calder, and he's a legit top 2 D Man who can develop into a true #1. His value is through the roof IMO

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Just a question Col fans....a couple of you have mentioned either Myers/Miller must be included.

So what do you think of Miller for Stansy?

As of right now, Miller is the face of our franchise, and after the Olympics, the face of American hockey. We all know he's good and as goalies go, just entering his prime.

So?
That'd be like robbing Peter to pay Paul - it fixes one deficit on the Sabre roster (center) only to create another (goal). Contrary to what many seem to be latching onto in the wake of recent playoffs about how a medicore goalie is supposedly enough to win with, history has proven over and over that goaltending is the most important position in hockey. Whatever steps closer to a Cup the Sabres would take by adding Stastny, they'd take two steps backward by either entrusting all their hopes to an unproven like Enroth or being forced to shed quality assets to acquire another goalie of Miller's caliber.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

Umm, with all the hype and hoopla and different threads about Richards, I would think you'd have the names straight......you mean 'Brad', not 'Mike'.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Umm, with all the hype and hoopla and different threads about Richards, I would think you'd have the names straight......you mean 'Brad', not 'Mike'.
Uhhh no I mean Mike.