HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

shouldnt edmonton/vancouver make a trade?

Old
02-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
shouldnt edmonton/vancouver make a trade?

vancouver isnt going to get any closer then this to go for a cup win... edmonton should be rebuilding and thinking of what they want for team chemistry 3-4 years down the road.

vancouver needs a second line scoring upgrade over mason raymond and edmonton has a question what to do with hemsky who isnt really a first line 'winner' but might enjoy being able to coast along in the shadow of the twins and louongo on a team with a chance to win.

vancouver has a few pieces that edmonton should like as far as rebuilding goes... chief among them being cody hodgson. mason raymond is expendable if vancouver upgrades to a guy like hemsky instead. and keith ballard on defense is grossly overpaid for what he has been able to deliver in vancouver. time for him to find a new home.

ballard as the cap dump/hodgson as the prize/raymond as the throw in

for

hemsky and maybe brule hoping a return to vancouver finally jump starts his usefulness

makes sense to me, but i suppose im going to be told why its dumb

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Hell no from a Vancouver standpoint.
Yes, Ballard is overpaid, but we need the defensive depth. And he is physical and can log big minutes if needed.

And Hemsky isn't the type of player we need for the playoffs. (I also don't like how he is injury prone)
Vancouver would need a top 6 physical player.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:20 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Yes, Ballard is overpaid, but we need the defensive depth. And he is physical and can log big minutes if needed.

And Hemsky isn't the type of player we need for the playoffs. (I also don't like how he is injury prone)
Hemsky was money in the playoffs in 06 for the record.

That said, I don't really like the deal. I like Hodgson a lot, I don't really want Ballard (and Vancouver needs him), and I'm not sure about Raymond either. If I was the Oilers, I would consider this deal, but counter with a first rounder instead of Ballard.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:22 AM
kushh

Better idea would be to get Penner.

Penner, 1st
Hodgson, Raymond, Connauton, 1st, 2nd

Steep price to pay but we would get a top 3 pick and the Powerforward we need.

Edmonton gets Hodgson to center Eberle and Hall, a Alberta boy in Raymond would be a young replacement for Penner in the top 6, Connauton is a badly needed Dman prospect who is also an Alberta boy, and picks.

kushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:22 AM
TrueCanuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post

agreed. We need Ballards hip checks
Hodgson isn't moving. if we could clear up some cap space and acquire Dustin Penner, it would be a great acquisition for the nucks

TrueCanuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:24 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

You could at least toss in Smid to balance out Raymond's contract and fill the hole on defense Ballard would leave.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Edmontonoil

I hate how everyone under evaluates hemmer! sure he is injury prone- but he is almost a point a game on the worst NHL team

Edmontonoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Hemsky was money in the playoffs in 06 for the record.

That said, I don't really like the deal. I like Hodgson a lot, I don't really want Ballard (and Vancouver needs him), and I'm not sure about Raymond either. If I was the Oilers, I would consider this deal, but counter with a first rounder instead of Ballard.
cant ballard be replaced in a second deal for the canucks? his multiple years at 4 is not a pretty mess to deal with for them when they should be focused on bringing back erhoff and bieska to pair up with hamhuis and edler as their big 4 for the next few years. ballard at 4 mill as a 5th dman just doesnt make sense for them

if there was unlimited cap then sure why not? he has been a good dman in the past. but he just hasnt been good since picked up for the canucks. he doesnt fit in for some reason.

as for edmonton though.. they can throw all the caproom they want at ufa and they will get laughed at. its sad but its true. ballard probably becomes the oilers second best dmen for the next few years once picked up. maybe gilbert/smid become decent players if they got whitney/ballard taking most the mins at the top of the hiarchy. and i guess edmonton should draft larson... to me this is a 5 man group that isnt so bad. a couple of the spare parts that have shown promise like peckam or petry {sp} would seem ok to me.

i know canucks have injuries to their defense right now... but make the deal i propose... and then back it up by grabbing someone like phillips out of ottawa for the playoff run. wouldnt this work?

for me... i think theres alot of value for vancovuer to move ballards contract as far as future seasons go. not this year necessarily, but its a contract that will be a problem for them given their other priorities once the future plays itself out

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

**** no from the Canucks

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

All I can say is this won't turn out well. Edmonton will want lots for Hemmer and Canuck fans think he isn't worth much. Just drop it before someone comes on here and posts a ridiculous trade proposal.....

Quote:
Better idea would be to get Penner.

Penner, 1st
Hodgson, Raymond, Connauton, 1st, 2nd

Steep price to pay but we would get a top 3 pick and the Powerforward we need.

Edmonton gets Hodgson to center Eberle and Hall, a Alberta boy in Raymond would be a young replacement for Penner in the top 6, Connauton is a badly needed Dman prospect who is also an Alberta boy, and picks.
Too late

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:33 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

I think Oilers and Canucks could make a good hockey trade but it wouldn't be for Hemsky, we can't afford him. I'd think something on the lines of Hodgson for MPS would help both teams out, Van gets a playmaking winger for Kesler and Sams and Oilers get a player who has top line center potential who has great chemistry with Eberle and good friends with Gagner, fills a need for both teams.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
cant ballard be replaced in a second deal for the canucks? his multiple years at 4 is not a pretty mess to deal with for them when they should be focused on bringing back erhoff and bieska to pair up with hamhuis and edler as their big 4 for the next few years. ballard at 4 mill as a 5th dman just doesnt make sense for them

if there was unlimited cap then sure why not? he has been a good dman in the past. but he just hasnt been good since picked up for the canucks. he doesnt fit in for some reason.

as for edmonton though.. they can throw all the caproom they want at ufa and they will get laughed at. its sad but its true. ballard probably becomes the oilers second best dmen for the next few years once picked up. maybe gilbert/smid become decent players if they got whitney/ballard taking most the mins at the top of the hiarchy. and i guess edmonton should draft larson... to me this is a 5 man group that isnt so bad. a couple of the spare parts that have shown promise like peckam or petry {sp} would seem ok to me.

i know canucks have injuries to their defense right now... but make the deal i propose... and then back it up by grabbing someone like phillips out of ottawa for the playoff run. wouldnt this work?

for me... i think theres alot of value for vancovuer to move ballards contract as far as future seasons go. not this year necessarily, but its a contract that will be a problem for them given their other priorities once the future plays itself out
Ballard hasn't been horrible, he has been decent. He hasn't had much of a chance to shine (and he is given zero PP time).

A major problem with what you are suggesting is that the Canucks cant afford this cap-wise.
Also, the Canucks are overpaying for Hemsky, and giving up their best prospect. Then we would have to give up even more for a guy who is an upcoming UFA (Phillips) who might not fit in with the team (look at Alberts when he joined the Nucks last season at the deadline).

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
I think Oilers and Canucks could make a good hockey trade but it wouldn't be for Hemsky, we can't afford him. I'd think something on the lines of Hodgson for MPS would help both teams out, Van gets a playmaking winger for Kesler and Sams and Oilers get a player who has top line center potential who has great chemistry with Eberle and good friends with Gagner, fills a need for both teams.
If the Canucks and the Oilers weren't division rivals, and if there wasn't alleged animosity between the two GM's, that trade would be perfect for both teams.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
If the Canucks and the Oilers weren't division rivals, and if there wasn't alleged animosity between the two GM's, that trade would be perfect for both teams.
MPS for Hodgson? Yeah, that doesn't make sense at all from Edmonton. Hodgson is already injury prone, it's too risky.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Hemsky to the Nucks would make me vomit .

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:19 AM
sabresandcanucks

No, no, no.....Hemsky is not worth a Schenn or Hodgson.

Raymond, a 1st, and Schroeder would make more sense...But thats excluding the CAP and the fact I don't think Vancouver should move Raymond who, as a asset, is at his lowest value in the past year.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
MPS for Hodgson? Yeah, that doesn't make sense at all from Edmonton. Hodgson is already injury prone, it's too risky.
You're probably right, but in terms of the prospects potential, and positions they play, all things being equal, would be a good trade for both teams. But as mentioned before, the likeliness of this trade ever happening is slim to none.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:21 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
the moment I saw Ballard I stopped reading

Nucks are built to win now and their D will be theor Key or undoing

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:21 AM
JAK

no one outside of Edmonton wants Hemsky, and even Edmonton wants to get rid of him, except the price is set way too high.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
no one outside of Edmonton wants Hemsky, and even Edmonton wants to get rid of him, except the price is set way too high.
Wow you are either a canuck/calgary homer and you are just jealous of Edmonton, or you aren't a very knowledgeable person when it comes to hockey. Good job.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:25 AM
biturbo19

no. they shouldn't.

trading within the division is almost always a terrible idea. and though i like Hemsky as a player, i don't see him OR Penner as a great fit for the Canucks all things considered. and ESPECIALLY not at the cost of a solid top-4 d-man (though at times underutilized on a deep Canucks squad), a young winger with speed to burn and 30g-30a upside mired in a bit of a slump, and a 10th overall pick in Hodgson.

that would be a terrible deal, and would just get worse as time goes by.

and wtf is it with everyone thinking that this is the Canucks best/only chance at the cup? i still don't understand why they can't be just as good next year...with most of their core locked up long term and a lot of promising youngsters coming down the pipeline. this is an organization trying to follow the 'detroit model'...and you don't hear people going ******* about how 'THIS IS THE ONLY YEAR DETROIT CAN WIN THE CUP'. they're a perennial contender for a reason...just as the Canucks should strive to be.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:29 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
no. they shouldn't.

trading within the division is almost always a terrible idea. and though i like Hemsky as a player, i don't see him OR Penner as a great fit for the Canucks all things considered. and ESPECIALLY not at the cost of a solid top-4 d-man (though at times underutilized on a deep Canucks squad), a young winger with speed to burn and 30g-30a upside mired in a bit of a slump, and a 10th overall pick in Hodgson.

that would be a terrible deal, and would just get worse as time goes by.

and wtf is it with everyone thinking that this is the Canucks best/only chance at the cup? i still don't understand why they can't be just as good next year...with most of their core locked up long term and a lot of promising youngsters coming down the pipeline. this is an organization trying to follow the 'detroit model'...and you don't hear people going ******* about how 'THIS IS THE ONLY YEAR DETROIT CAN WIN THE CUP'. they're a perennial contender for a reason...just as the Canucks should strive to be.
I don't think it's that per-say, but the fact that every year, all other teams will get better and as you say about Vancouver keeping their core, they also regress through time from getting older. They got a chance at winning it for more than 1 year, yes. More like 2-3 years, but by the time the 4th year comes, it'll be time to change the team again.

Old
02-27-2011, 01:33 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
Well....I'm sure there is a lot of interest in him...but the asking price is just too high. Oiler fans can try and convince us otherwise, but every other fanbase knows that he is not worth the asking price...if that happens to be a bluechip prospect like Schenn or Hodgson.

That said, I'd offer a first round pick, a roster player ( 2b/3rd line forward, 5/6 D man), and a mid level prospect for him if I was a bubble team with CAP space and a scoring problem.

I like Hemsky...I should make that clear.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
vancouver isnt going to get any closer then this to go for a cup win... edmonton should be rebuilding and thinking of what they want for team chemistry 3-4 years down the road.

vancouver needs a second line scoring upgrade over mason raymond and edmonton has a question what to do with hemsky who isnt really a first line 'winner' but might enjoy being able to coast along in the shadow of the twins and louongo on a team with a chance to win.

vancouver has a few pieces that edmonton should like as far as rebuilding goes... chief among them being cody hodgson. mason raymond is expendable if vancouver upgrades to a guy like hemsky instead. and keith ballard on defense is grossly overpaid for what he has been able to deliver in vancouver. time for him to find a new home.

ballard as the cap dump/hodgson as the prize/raymond as the throw in

for

hemsky and maybe brule hoping a return to vancouver finally jump starts his usefulness

makes sense to me, but i suppose im going to be told why its dumb
This is the part I don't understand.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:36 AM
t0nedeff

hell no from the oilers pov. Ballard is garbage and definitely not what the Oil need and Raymond and Hodgson aren't what I want for Hemsky.

t0nedeff is offline   Reply With Quote