HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Misc. Rumours/Speculation thread V2.0: Fiesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Définitivement!

For some reason your post convinced me we're all going to be extremely disappointed tommorow...
The key is to not get your hopes too high, have no expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:32 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
I want a ''gros bonhomme''
I wonder if we can get him for "Lejeune Veber."

Seriously, I cannot ****ing stand Brunet calling him that EVERY single time. It's starting to feel more normal than calling him Yannick Weber lol.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Steen is a centre and your missing Patches:

Cammalleri Plekanec Halpern
Patches Steen Gionta
Pouliot Desharnais Moen
Crombeen Eller AK
We'll get absolutely annihilated. Give me something like:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Cammalleri - Eller - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Desharnais - White
Moen - Konopka - Winchester/Crombeen

Your lineup would get run out of the building in the 1st period in the playoffs.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:41 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Your lineup would get run out of the building in the 1st period in the playoffs.
Yeah, right. Yours would get swept in 4.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Haha fat chance my team gets swept in 4 over the lineup he posted. Eller at center on the 2nd line is the only question mark. But I'd let him learn there for one playoffs if it means we get rid of Gomez's contract and have Konopka, Moen, White and Winchester in the lineup, not to mention Sopel and Mara to add some toughness.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:46 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
The funny thing is you actually think there is a huge difference between these two lineups just because of a couple 4th liners.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:47 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
We just really need a good 1b centre to push us over the top. If we had a Ribeiro-type, this team would be startlingly solid head-to-toe. But we don't, so there's shifted responsibilities and role players like Halpern and Moen are put off their game and played ineffectually.

I wish we had Konopka, Crombeen and, say, Weiss. This team would change dramatically.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
deandebean

All we need is a good night sleep!

Old
02-27-2011, 11:50 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Haha fat chance my team gets swept in 4 over the lineup he posted. Eller at center on the 2nd line is the only question mark.
That's not a question mark. That's a glaring weakness begging to be exposed, and DD at third line center just as much.

They might be able to hang with non-playoff teams with limited depth, but funnily enough, there aren't any in the playoffs. Playoff teams will have second and third lines that will eviscerate the corresponding units from that lineup.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:51 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
We just really need a good 1b centre to push us over the top.
Despite PR to the contrary, that's what Gomez is. Even though he's having a crummy season offensively.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Darth Joker

The Boyes trade gives me hope that we may actually be able to trade Gomez to St. Louis.

I can't fathom why St. Louis would want Gomez, given that they have Berglund, Steen, McDonald, and Oshie, but hey, that's the rumor, and trading Boyes makes little sense for them unless they plan to pick up a big contract in a separate deal.

Old
02-27-2011, 11:57 PM
MathMan

K, for those of you fantasizing about the Habs dealing Gomez, keep in mind that teams do not get rebuilt in February. Especially not when they are buyers. And definitely not when their GM is Pierre Gauthier.

Furthermore, in the highly unlikely event that this is even being considered by PG, there needs to be a credible tough-minutes top-6 center going back to the Habs in some way, otherwise the Habs will be throwing away this season, which they certainly aren't going to do. And if they can't replace Gomez this summer (remember, centers of this caliber are rare, it's why Gainey went after Gomez in the first place) then they are throwing away next year, too, and there is no way in hell PG even considers that.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

While teams don't get rebuit in February, every team believes in their chances during the summer months while they're facing reality now, at this time of the season.

It wouldn't be easy to trade a big salary like the one Gomez is carrying, especially not the way he's been playing in the last few years, but if a team bites, Gauthier better damn well jump on the occasion and it may not be there again.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Habs Junkie

Is it possible that Gauthier goes after Richards?

Old
02-28-2011, 12:03 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It wouldn't be easy to trade a big salary like the one Gomez is carrying, especially not the way he's been playing in the last few years, but if a team bites, Gauthier better damn well jump on the occasion and it may not be there again.
You're assuming that PG and JM view Gomez under the same unflattering light as the fans and media do. That they think that trading Gomez+ for nothing would actually be a good deal, and that the Habs would be better off without him.

I am thoroughly unconvinced that this is actually the case.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
K, for those of you fantasizing about the Habs dealing Gomez, keep in mind that teams do not get rebuilt in February. Especially not when they are buyers. And definitely not when their GM is Pierre Gauthier.

Furthermore, in the highly unlikely event that this is even being considered by PG, there needs to be a credible tough-minutes top-6 center going back to the Habs in some way, otherwise the Habs will be throwing away this season, which they certainly aren't going to do. And if they can't replace Gomez this summer (remember, centers of this caliber are rare, it's why Gainey went after Gomez in the first place) then they are throwing away next year, too, and there is no way in hell PG even considers that.
MathMan... how could Eller or DD possibly perform worse than this year's version of Gomez, as a 2nd line center? It's not like Gomez is simply having a bad offensive year, but at least has a decent plus/minus. His plus/minus is absolutely atrocious, too. That means that other teams are having a pretty easy time scoring when he's on the ice.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

*************** incarcerated bob
@
@0v3rl0rdz Gomez is in play its all up to the Blues now > Davidson loves Scotty from when John did TV for Rangers

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
02-28-2011, 12:12 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
MathMan... how could Eller or DD possibly perform worse than this year's version of Gomez, as a 2nd line center?
Err, are you serious?

Eller and DD would get eviscerated if they got the matchups Gomez gets on a regular basis. They have trouble enough handling them on an occasional basis. That's just the way it is -- they are both rookies and will get to that level, but in the meantime, throwing them in the fire will get them destroyed.

Meanwhile, Gomez is having a tough season offensively (his low plus/minus is entirely due to his aberrantly low ES scoring; he's not getting many minuses, but he's not getting plusses, and your contention that opponents have an easy time scoring against him is patently false; plus/minus is not a defensive stat, it's an outscoring stat). I could once again go over why this is happening, but it seems people here don't really like in-depth analysis, so I'll make the salient point -- even if Gomez is not producing offensively, something that may correct itself at any time, the Habs still need him to handle the tough top-6 matchups.

Try Eller or, heaven forfend, DD there, and you'll see an even worse plus minus because there will be very few pluses AND a lot of minuses happening.

Old
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
MathMan... how could Eller or DD possibly perform worse than this year's version of Gomez, as a 2nd line center? It's not like Gomez is simply having a bad offensive year, but at least has a decent plus/minus. His plus/minus is absolutely atrocious, too. That means that other teams are having a pretty easy time scoring when he's on the ice.
I'm not really a fan of Gomez, (though can fully admit he's not as bad as his stats suggest) but those 2 have like 80 games of NHL experience. The organization would look awfully foolish if they traded away Gomez without a viable, and adequate replacement. Eller and DD are not ready for those minutes or responsibility, not yet.

Old
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
Is it possible that Gauthier goes after Richards?
Nope, not possible at all.

Old
Darth Joker

I'm really crossing my fingers here.

There's a few reasons to think Gomez-to-St. Louis might go down:

1. Boyes deal may have been made to make the absorption of Gomez's cap hit less painful.

2. JD apparently loved Gomez when Gomez was in New York and JD was calling Rangers games.

3. JD and Gauthier have a good trading history together (the D'Ago and Halak/Eller deals).

Old
02-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
*************** incarcerated bob
@
@0v3rl0rdz Gomez is in play its all up to the Blues now > Davidson loves Scotty from when John did TV for Rangers
Are you posting this yourself?

Old
02-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Nope, not possible at all.
Why not? I think we are a team he would wave his no trade clause for. We can put together a nice package.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:16 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
Why not? I think we are a team he would wave his no trade clause for. We can put together a nice package.
Sure, and then he walks in the off-season? How would you fit him under the cap?

It doesn't make much sense at all for the Habs to be doing this.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Sure, and then he walks in the off-season? How would you fit him under the cap?

It doesn't make much sense at all for the Habs to be doing this.
What's his cap hit? 8 million? We have five right now.. Kostitsin or hammer going the other way.

Closed Thread