HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: To the Refs

Old
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
KeslerKrony
Nucks STH

vCash: 500
OT: To the Refs

Dear Refs,

Don't be scared about calling penalties to the other team when they slash, trip or hold us. Yes, we most likely will score on the powerplay, but the key point is that you are continuing to impede the Canuck's strategy by not letting the #1 PP go to work.

If Bettman is threatening you with your job, we understand.

Sincerely,
Canucks Fans

P.S. If you try and call BS, note that last game against the Blues you called one penalty. Just one.

KeslerKrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
stevecanuck16

I think, given the skill and dominance of the Canucks this season, that we've been shorthanded 124 times while having 118 powerplays says a lot. The Canucks spend a ton of time in the offensive zone, and you'd expect the penalty discrepancy to be highly in their favour, not working against them.

I think a lot of times everyone gets overwhelmed by the Canucks, even the refs. I've seen Sedin line shifts where the other team honestly could have been called for 3-4 penalties because they had such a hard time containing the twins. Obviously, a ref isn't going to call all those penalties, and I think this causes them to often turn a blind eye to transgressions against the Canucks.

I agree, too, that last night's game was especially bad, and very unevenly reffed.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:00 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Yesterday's game was so frustrating. I was half expecting one of the players to accidentally on purpose drill one of the refs with a puck during play.

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Placebo Effect

**** happens. Some days you get calls you shouldn't, others you don't get calls you should. Good teams overcome it.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:34 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Yeah refs seems to not let us use our PP... it's hard to believe they would do that but it's been noticeable the last little bit. Hopefully the refs are really just missing the calls.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Wetcoaster

Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province had a column on the subject of officiating today.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...721/story.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Officiating = Entertainment Management

You gotta make the playoff push or "stretch drive" as entertaining as possible. Vancouver is so far clear of this race compared to other years that this is probably a new concept to us, and likely old hat to teams like Detroit or San Jose who usually are at the top of the league.

Due to this, I'd think refs are favoured towards teams that are in the hunt, rather than teams so far ahead or behind.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:22 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

God over the last few games this has been so frustrating...I was waiting for someone to bring this up

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Dana Murzyn

I was about to call BS, but then I noted that last game against the Blues the refs called one penalty. Just one.

And then I was like, damn, that proves it.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:56 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeslerKrony View Post
Dear Refs,

Don't be scared about calling penalties to the other team when they slash, trip or hold us. Yes, we most likely will score on the powerplay, but the key point is that you are continuing to impede the Canuck's strategy by not letting the #1 PP go to work.

If Bettman is threatening you with your job, we understand.

Sincerely,
Canucks Fans

P.S. If you try and call BS, note that last game against the Blues you called one penalty. Just one.

See this isn't entirely fair. I think what really frustrates me is game to game consistency, or lack there of. Most nights you can be damn sure that the penalties will even up (in a relative sense) by the end of the game. And other nights they'll simply call it like it is (which honestly, I think they did against the Blues -- we've just so used to getting them evened up). ONE or the OTHER please!

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:57 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
**** happens. Some days you get calls you shouldn't, others you don't get calls you should. Good teams overcome it.
Case in point, our last game against Nashville. There were 2-3 minor penalties against the Preds that SIMPLY were NOT penalties.

Old
02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province had a column on the subject of officiating today.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...721/story.html
Hahahaha...

"I've been trying to think what it could have been, but I honestly can't tell you," said Daniel. "I don't know of any contact at all, really. Maybe it's my brother. Has anyone asked him if he did anything?"

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:54 PM
rune74

Last nights game was a case where the refs actually changed the flow of the game. We were spanking them then 4 straight power plays later...the blues are on the upswing. You could almost see the refs shoulders slump when we scored the winning goal.

rune74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:32 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
See this isn't entirely fair. I think what really frustrates me is game to game consistency, or lack there of. Most nights you can be damn sure that the penalties will even up (in a relative sense) by the end of the game. And other nights they'll simply call it like it is (which honestly, I think they did against the Blues -- we've just so used to getting them evened up). ONE or the OTHER please!
Really? How do you explain the phantom call on Daniel that turned the game around? What about Ballard and Oshie slashing each other right in front of the ref and only Ballard gets called? Malhotra getting tripped on a penalty kill? Not exactly calling it like it is.

The first place people look at when you lose is the officiating. But, in this case even after a win people are complaining, so you know something is not right.

The linesman in the NHL are really good and have working eyes. They should switch positions with the referees.

Old
02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

Complaining about the refereeing is pointless. Sometimes they're bad, sometimes they miss one of the many canuck dives and call the penalty on the oppositing team

Until another Daniel Sedin skate in the playoffs happens, I don't see much point in complaining. And at least they're being consistent (as consistent as you expect out of the war room) on those skate calls now.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:52 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Really? How do you explain the phantom call on Daniel that turned the game around? What about Ballard and Oshie slashing each other right in front of the ref and only Ballard gets called? Malhotra getting tripped on a penalty kill? Not exactly calling it like it is.

The first place people look at when you lose is the officiating. But, in this case even after a win people are complaining, so you know something is not right.

The linesman in the NHL are really good and have working eyes. They should switch positions with the referees.
Daniel missed call... happens ALL THE ****ing time. Ballard was a poor call.

BUT LOL if you think that Malhotra "trip" was a penalty. That was just as ticky tac as the Ballard call. Like seriously, I understand you're upset we don't have many calls up to that point but you can funnel that frustration into thinking ticky tac calls should go your way.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:07 AM
M A K A V E L I*

So Ballard was a poor call and was made anyway and Malhotra is ticky-tack? Did Malhotra trip on his own? Turnovers like that in your own zone can lead to a goal. There's numerous other examples throughout the game (Raymond getting tripped in the offensive zone for example).

Why are you trying to argue that the Canucks didn't get the short and extremely pointy end of the stick in this game?

Old
02-26-2011, 12:13 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

As much as the refs frustrate me (perhaps in Raymondesque proportions) we're just going to see this crap in the playoffs. I don't even bother getting upset anymore. The refs suck with every team.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:12 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
The linesmen don't really have to make many discretion calls.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Meganuck*

It seems like the Canucks are a victim of circumstance. They have the best PP in the league and have the ability to score multiple goals on PPs in a game.

Refs seem really hesitant and at this point give the calls to teams that are desperate for points.

I cant recall the last time the Canucks had a string of games in which they got 1 or 2 Powerplays max.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

how many tony gallagher officiating conspiracy articles can a general public take?

unlimited, apparently

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:45 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
It seems like the Canucks are a victim of circumstance. They have the best PP in the league and have the ability to score multiple goals on PPs in a game.

Refs seem really hesitant and at this point give the calls to teams that are desperate for points.

I cant recall the last time the Canucks had a string of games in which they got 1 or 2 Powerplays max.
Nucks are getting the same amount of calls this season as they usually do (relatively speaking). We usually do as well as Detroit on average, I looked at about 6 years data.

This current streak is just a steak and hopefully things will right themselves. A few less PK would be nice, but overall things are even enough we just have to get through inconsistent and irratic reffing the same as everyone else.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 08:35 AM
kootenayfan

We will have to pay attention to tonights game against the Bruins..two playoff bound teams should mean fairly even officiating..we shall see.

kootenayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Reign Nateo

Last 10 games:

- Van: 40 minor penalites against.
- Opponent: 29.

- 7 of 10 games the opponent was given more PP opportunities (1 tie).

- Skewed by games against the Blues however where they have been called for 2 penalties in 2 games, to the Canucks 9.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
how many tony gallagher officiating conspiracy articles can a general public take?

unlimited, apparently
Shorthouse and Garrett have been talking about it for the past number of games as well.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote