HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyes to Buffalo

Old
02-28-2011, 11:09 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Listened to Boyes interview, He sounds like hes going to really miss St. Louis...

Hopefully over this next year and change he can adopt the same bond with Buffalo.

EDIT: BIRTHPLACE: Mississauga, ON, Canada

Hes now alot closer to home too.

Last edited by JOHNBOY: 02-28-2011 at 11:20 AM.
JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:15 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
Yep, 2nd round picks are a lot more valuable than people here at HFboards make them out to be.

For a rental, I wouldn't have liked this at all. But considering we got another year out of Boyes to see what he has I have no problem with this.

And hell, maybe we find our way into a 2nd somehow today.
I agree with everything you said. I would have hated this as a rental, but he is under contract for another year, is durable, and gives us another possible option at center. Maybe he returns to his 08-09 form and, if not, we only have another year committed to him and we only gave up a 2nd round pick, which we probably would have thrown away on a rental anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to see Butler or Montador traded today, and should be able to find a way to replace that 2nd rounder if it's that important to Darcy.

mgeise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
LOVE IT

Salary aside, this is exactly the type of player I was hoping they'd target. Someone who's had big seasons (30g+, 40g+) and has been slumping a bit. Exactly the change of scenery type of player that could work out really well for the Sabres.

Even if he doesn't, it's not a big commitment.

Well done, Darcy.
Exactly, the last couple of years Darcy has done exactly what you SHOULDN'T do in buying high on a player. Both Torres and Moore were having great years (career years maybe even) and he paid out the ass (relative to thier true value) to get them as rentals.

This season, it's a much smarter approach buying low on a guy who has shown in the past has the potential to be a difference maker, and has over a full season plus some to prove it. I'll take this trade a million times over the types of trades they've made the last 2 years.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:30 AM
OkimLom

Just by looking at his goals I noticed a few things:
POSITIVE
-He seems to be around the net where nobody is(maybe tap in those missed opportunities we always have)
-Stands in front of the goalie with good hand-eye coordination
-Has soft hands
-Quick release
NEGATIVE
-Waits for the puck
-Loafs in the neutral zone

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

OT - for anyone watching on TSN F the 1 year anniversary "goleden goal"

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
New ownership in Buffalo seems to have brought about a change in approach, marked first by Sunday's trade for a pricy scoring winger.

Numbers Game looks at the Sabres' acquisition of Brad Boyes.

The Sabres Get: RW Brad Boyes.

Boyes, 28, has rebounded with a relatively productive 2010-2011 campaign after a down year in 2009-2010. While it appears unlikely that he's ever going to touch 40 goals again, as he did in 2007-2008, Boyes has the offensive skills to be a contributor in the Sabres' top six forwards.

After a slow start to the season, in which he scored five points in 14 games, Boyes has come on with 36 points in the next 47 games to sit tied for third on the Blues with 41 points in 61 games; his plus-11 rating ranked second on the club.

The Sabres, missing top centre Derek Roy for the rest of the campaign and already having Drew Stafford and Jason Pominville set as scoring right wingers, may be more inclined to try Boyes at centre, a position that he's played at times throughout his six-year NHL career, taking at least 200 faceoffs a season each year that he's been in the league (135 so far this season).

If Boyes is going to recapture his goal-scoring touch (he scored 76 goals in 2007-2008 and 2008-2009), then this deal could really pay off for the Sabres, but it's difficult to foresee that, given that Boyes has 26 goals in 143 games since, taking fewer shots and finishing at about half the rate he did during his peak goal-scoring years.

Signed through next season, at a salary cap hit of $4-million (per www.capgeek.com), Boyes isn't cheap, but the fact that the Sabres are willing to go out and acquire him is a clear indication that new Sabres owner Terry Pegula is living up to his promise of taking the financial shackles off Sabres GM Darcy Regier.
Quote:
So, the Sabres are making a push for the playoffs and the addition of a veteran scoring forward who is very durable -- having missed one game in six seasons -- scoring at least 65 points in three seasons seems like an entirely reasonable way to go about it.

Boyes isn't going to turn the Sabres upside down, but he's very likely to enhance their offensive production and that's what he'll be expected to bring to his new team.
Quote:
Buffalo makes a solid move, getting a proven performer that should improve their chances of reaching the playoffs this season, while the Blues shed a player who, while reasonably productive, had a contract that wasn't exactly a bargain, giving them greater financial flexibility going forward; in both cases, a logical approach given each team's circumstances.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=355817

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:37 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupWanted View Post
OT - for anyone watching on TSN F the 1 year anniversary "goleden goal"
is right. ****ing Crosby.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLbluesfanatic1988 View Post
Blues fan here. He has been a solid assist man this year and that is absolutely it. Won't battle for pucks, won't play physical and forgot how to score. Also, his misses the net more than anyone on our team. Again, can pass and that's it. Good luck with him. and the rest of the season.
Sounds like the perfect Connolly replacement for next season, with a touch of Zhitnik thrown in.

Seriously, I remember the 3-way trade he was involved in, and wanted him a couple years ago when JD took over in STL.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
A second round pick is coin of the realm in the summer when teams start remodeling their rosters. For a team looking to acquire NHL-level assets, it's important to not squander the futures other teams will be looking for come June.
The question you have to ask is whether the 2nd rounder in the summer could've acquired someone better than Boyes. Maybe, but maybe not. The 2nd rounders were key in ATL's deal to acquire Ladd (Vishnevskiy also went to CHI) and Meszaros (straight up). Both players are currently benefiting from the change in scenery. This could be a similar situation.

The guys I was looking at that may be dealt for a 2nd rounder this summer were players of the Brian Boyle ilk. No guarantee he'll be better than Boyes going forward.

Quote:
Yep, 2nd round picks are a lot more valuable than people here at HFboards make them out to be.

For a rental, I wouldn't have liked this at all. But considering we got another year out of Boyes to see what he has I have no problem with this.

And hell, maybe we find our way into a 2nd somehow today.
Disagree. I think people on HFBoards overhype the value of 2nd's. Go look at the main board. Looking at the 2001-03 drafts, only 36 of 90 players selected in the 2nd round have or will play more than 100 games in the NHL (I put Harding and Corey Crawford on the list b/c they'll make it to 100 games). That's a 40% chance that the guy you draft in the 2nd makes it to the NHL and sticks for more than 100 games. When you have the opportunity to trade one of those for a guy who's hit 40 goals, is on pace for 50+ pts this year, is signed to a relatively reasonable deal, and is still only 28 yrs old, you pull the trigger.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The question you have to ask is whether the 2nd rounder in the summer could've acquired someone better than Boyes. Maybe, but maybe not. The 2nd rounders were key in ATL's deal to acquire Ladd (Vishnevskiy also went to CHI) and Meszaros (straight up). Both players are currently benefiting from the change in scenery. This could be a similar situation.
There's added value because draft picks don't have a salary. It defers an expense. That money can be used to re-sign your own players, sign an UFA, or pay a player acquired in a trade.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Dubi Doo

I just got out of the shower, and I heard someone being interviewed on WGR. I have no idea who it was, but he said Boyes was one of the ebst lockerroom guys he's ever been around. That's a plus, too.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I just got out of the shower, and I heard someone being interviewed on WGR. I have no idea who it was, but he said Boyes was one of the ebst lockerroom guys he's ever been around. That's a plus, too.
Jay McKee.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
That was McKee they interviewed earlier.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
There's added value because draft picks don't have a salary. It defers an expense. That money can be used to re-sign your own players, sign an UFA, or pay a player acquired in a trade.
Sorry, I disagree that the value of deferring an expense on a player who more likely than not won't make an impact at the NHL > acquiring a player of Boyes' status. Buffalo has no cap problems and should have no trouble re-signing the players it wants to re-sign. Boyes' contract runs only through next season. Buffalo struggles to attract productive players in the UFA market--and likely will continue to, at least until the image of the organization is repaired by Pegula. And, as I stated above, there's no guarantee that the player(s) acquired this summer with a 2nd would be as good or better than Boyes.

I like the deal. I think 2nd's are valuable to acquire for players who are impending UFA's and likely won't re-sign with your team. See Connolly, Tim. Generally, though, I think many overvalue the worth of a 2nd round draft pick.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Edler4Norris
Nucks / Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Edler4Norris Send a message via MSN to Edler4Norris
Good to see Pegula authorize Regier to do something. It didn't cost that much. This is a very solid move even if his goal totals have declined.

Edler4Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

The guys I was looking at that may be dealt for a 2nd rounder this summer were players of the Brian Boyle ilk. No guarantee he'll be better than Boyes going forward.

Disagree. I think people on HFBoards overhype the value of 2nd's. Go look at the main board. Looking at the 2001-03 drafts, only 36 of 90 players selected in the 2nd round have or will play more than 100 games in the NHL (I put Harding and Corey Crawford on the list b/c they'll make it to 100 games). That's a 40% chance that the guy you draft in the 2nd makes it to the NHL and sticks for more than 100 games. When you have the opportunity to trade one of those for a guy who's hit 40 goals, is on pace for 50+ pts this year, is signed to a relatively reasonable deal, and is still only 28 yrs old, you pull the trigger.
Most teams will have more in play this summer and for lower draft pick value than they do at the deadline. Having the assets to make trades when the trade field is far wider is my point -- having it to actually make the trade moves to shift the lineup forward. This isn't anything about UFA, this is about them having to have assets to move in trade to improve in the near future and help shift the perception of the team down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Pretty much. And there are move players in play in June than there are on deadline day.

Quote:
Sorry, I disagree that the value of deferring an expense on a player who more likely than not won't make an impact at the NHL > acquiring a player of Boyes' status. Buffalo has no cap problems and should have no trouble re-signing the players it wants to re-sign. Boyes' contract runs only through next season. Buffalo struggles to attract productive players in the UFA market--and likely will continue to, at least until the image of the organization is repaired by Pegula. And, as I stated above, there's no guarantee that the player(s) acquired this summer with a 2nd would be as good or better than Boyes.

I like the deal. I think 2nd's are valuable to acquire for players who are impending UFA's and likely won't re-sign with your team. See Connolly, Tim. Generally, though, I think many overvalue the worth of a 2nd round draft pick.
2nds are also useful in moving up in the draft, or more importantly for this team now, in trade. There is no guarantee about Boyes. There is also traditionally more available in the summer (and for less) than at the deadline. If they're actually building for the future, accumulating assets that they can use in trade is important.

02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

I will find it extremely difficult to understand anyone who doesn't like this deal.

BUF added an affordable, NHL-caliber, iron-man, top-6 forward for the next 100 games for the cost of a 2nd rounder.

The team is better because of it.

Now we'll see if anything else happens today...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Ghills23

Boyes to play wing with Connolly according to Ruff and Harrington's twitter.

Quote:
Lindy just told us boyes will play wing, likely w Connolly. Does not expect him to be moved.
http://twitter.com/#!/BNHarrington

Last edited by Ghills23: 02-28-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:38 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you that they are overvalued here. If you can handle the added salary and think a player can fill a need like Boyes is supposed to here, giving up a 2nd round pick isn't a big deal. I hate giving them up for rentals when we aren't true Cup contenders, but Boyes can be a valuable contributor. I still think we might end up hating Boyes because he's more of the same, but from a value standpoint this deal wasn't bad at all.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Rowley Birkin

I like this move. I haven't read through all of this so sorry if its been talked about already but isn't Boyes primarily a winger (RW?) If so where does he fit in going forward?

Do they still try and move Connolly to get the 2nd back?

Do they still go after another centre (Weiss maybe?)

If Boyes is pencilled in at RW, what happens with Pominville and Stafford in the summer?

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
Boyes to wing with Connolly according to Ruff and Harrington's twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/BNHarrington
So Ennis moves down to the bottom six and Hecht stays at center? I hope Pominville and Boyes aren't together because they don't really complement each other well.

I would've rather tried:
Vanek - Connolly - Pominville
Ennis - Boyes - Stafford

Maybe this is what we'll see?
Vanek - Connolly - Boyes
Stafford - Hecht - Pominville (I think Stafford's had more success on the left side, so I could see him sliding over)
Ennis - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe - Gaustad - Grier

Old
02-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
I think I mentioned this in another thread but one of the best things about this deal is that Nieds now has a nice cozy spot in the press box waiting for him.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
So Ennis moves down to the bottom six and Hecht stays at center? I hope Pominville and Boyes aren't together because they don't really complement each other well.

I would've rather tried:
Vanek - Connolly - Pominville
Ennis - Boyes - Stafford

Maybe this is what we'll see?
Vanek - Connolly - Boyes
Stafford - Hecht - Pominville (I think Stafford's had more success on the left side, so I could see him sliding over)
Ennis - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe - Gaustad - Grier
I don't like those lines, but I'd be happy going forward.

If only they could somehow turn Connolly and one of Pominville or Stafford into a legit top6 centre it would look a lot better

Vanek-Centre-Boyes
Ennis-Roy-Pominville/Stafford
Hecht-McCormick-Kaleta
Gerbe-Gaustad-Grier

Kassian replaces Grier next season, and maybe they can add a bona fide 3rd line C like Jarred Stoll at the same time. Then we'd have a proper group of forwards.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Most teams will have more in play this summer and for lower draft pick value than they do at the deadline. Having the assets to make trades when the trade field is far wider is my point -- having it to actually make the trade moves to shift the lineup forward. This isn't anything about UFA, this is about them having to have assets to move in trade to improve in the near future and help shift the perception of the team down the road.

There may be more, but that's not a guarantor that there will be better. Ladd had averaged 39 pts/game for the three seasons preceding him being traded, and Atlanta had to add a top defensive prospect at the time in Vishnevskiy. And surely you recall the consternation of Flyers fans when they traded their 2nd for Meszaros and what many deemed to be an albatross of a contract. At the time of the trades, Boyes has the most accomplished individual resume (Ladd has two Cups, and was a bottom-6 player on both).

Quote:

2nds are also useful in moving up in the draft, or more importantly for this team now, in trade. There is no guarantee about Boyes. There is also traditionally more available in the summer (and for less) than at the deadline. If they're actually building for the future, accumulating assets that they can use in trade is important.
In the draft? Not so much. LA gave up a 2nd rounder (#59) and their 1st rounder (#19) to move up to #15. Montreal had to give up #57 and #27 to get to #22. The Isles gave up #35 and #58 to get #30. It's not good for that much in the draft.

As for the second part of the post, see above. Boyes was being sold low for what Regier likely thought he was worth. Armstrong said he had to move Boyes now because of the presence of other players. I would be thrilled with acquiring a player of Boyes' status for a 2nd this summer, but I'm even more happy that we used it now when he can help with a playoff push and he'll be around next season.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Deevo

Now that Boyes is confirmed as a wing... PLEASE PLEASE Darcy swing something for a center today!

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote